Missing Brick

Inside Lego At Christmas - TV Programme

Watched this documentary last night on Channel 4 in the UK.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/inside-lego-at-christmas

Included a brief chat with the designers of the Star Wars TFA line, some glued Xmas builds by Bright Bricks, a guy who was making a Lego compatible board game and some other bits and bobs.

My take: they made a potentially fascinating subject boring by focusing exclusively on people rather than lego creations. eg. they were at the Great Western Brickshow in Swindon but didn't show any of the fan builds or layouts. Instead we got endless interviews with staff at the Lego call centre (which, to be honest, might aswell be any corporate call centre dealing with any product, anywhere in the world). I understand the film maker's desire to find a human interest angle - but wish they gave a bit more screen time to some expert builder's cool creations (and not just that 'Merry Christmas' build which was a bit basic for my tastes).

Edited by Missing Brick

I am yet to watch, but my uncle and cousin made a point of letting me know about it. I knew there was something I wanted to find on catch-up tonight!

Yeah, just watched it today.

Would certainly agree that the previous documentary was more interesting.

While i appreciate the passion of the couple making the xmas cake, the build itself was just a bit dull. Not that interested in the huge glue style builds either, much more interested in creative builds.

Was also kind of shocked at how inept the head of marketing came across in those product interviews. Just repeating that Kylo Ren's ship was big and had features. So little knowledge or passion on display, like the sort of answer you get from extra staff hired for the xmas rush.

I was surprised that they had so much time devoted to the customer call centre. It's good to know that they can handle huge volumes of calls, but it came across to me as just highlighting how many people are dissatisfied with the product/service.

Also filming someone taking a hacksaw to lego, *cringe*.

Was also kind of shocked at how inept the head of marketing came across in those product interviews.

That's a bit unfair. She was able to remember three facts. Yes, three of them! With brains like that she's sure to reach the highest echelons of the company.

It was an ok watch, found myself yelling at the tv "i dont care about your star wars tattoos"

I'm afraid I just had it on in the background, Channel 4 can be very hit or miss with a documentary. It was decent, but it mostly filled the quiet while I added books to my library app...

Hardly a LEGO documentary. Seems like there was more footage about some random entrepreneur making some crappy board game which has about zero to do with lego.

The older couple building their christmas setup was ok once, but seeing it 5 times is a bit much for what it is. The train molestation is something I'd rather not have seen. The UK sales rep. or whatever she is came off as a bit ignorant of the products, but that might be just the way she was filmed.

The only interesting parts were the ones with the designer and the call centre.

Edited by Sven F