Sign in to follow this  
BusterHaus

BusterHaus Builds

I made this topic to group my creations in one place. I won't bother reposting stuff that has its own discussion threads already, just new projects.

1) EV3 Trial Truck V2

IMG_1691.png

I built another Trial Truck controlled by EV3 components. There was no programming involved in this project. The truck was controlled by the Lego Commander app via Bluetooth.

The Controller Brick sits in the back of the truck while two Large Motors power the drive train. The power is transferred through knob gears to portal hubs. There are no differentials (like in the last Trial Truck) because their outdoor performance is not that great. Steering is done by the Medium Motor. Both axles feature a pendular suspension.

IMG_1693.png

The drive train has a weak spot where the motors drive the shaft - the 5x7 frames can pop apart when there is too much torque being transferred. There's space for additional bracing, but I discovered that a gradual acceleration helped resolve the problem for the most part.

IMG_1694.png

The truck isn't really a looker, but performs pretty well. The suspension works well and the drive train is pretty strong. I was worried that the center of gravity would be too high because of the location of the Control Brick, but that turned out to be a non-issue.

IMG_1688.png

Here is a short video of the Trial Truck in action:

Edited by BusterHaus

I have always enjoyed your stuff @busterhaus. Glad to see this thread. It seems like this is a growing trend.....that if you frequently post MOC pics, write-ups etc. to make them all on one thread. I am curious of the interest for more people to move in this direction. This may be an interesting poll to conduct...... individual posts for new MOCs from the same user, all MOCs posted on the same thread, or to maintain the current practice of just letting people decide on their own. I am sure there is a rhyme and reason for both......

I have always enjoyed your stuff @busterhaus. Glad to see this thread. It seems like this is a growing trend.....that if you frequently post MOC pics, write-ups etc. to make them all on one thread.

Thank you nerdsforprez. I build a lot of little things that don't deserve their own thread, so I figured I would put them here.

I played around with LDCad today ( :thumbup: :thumbup: ) and made instructions for a mini V8 engine I made recently.

MiniV8.png

You can get the instructions here.

800%2Bx%2B600%2Brender%2Bcopy.jpg

Here is a C-Model for the Technic 42045 set. The small sets turn out to be more challenging for C models, as the part count is rather limited.

Instructions are available by clicking here. I used LDCad to make them and it left me with a good impression. The final stepping and rotations were done in MLCad, and the layout was done in a PDF editor. The layout is pretty efficient, but is rather time consuming. I'm not sure if I will use it in the future.

There is a small mistake in the instructions - they ask for two 5L half-beams for the propellers, while the set comes with 4L half-beams.

42045C_COVER.jpg

Edited by BusterHaus

Thank you Edwin and Clive. I'm quite happy with it, I think I'll build something larger for my next project.

Large sounds good. Any clues as to what it'll be?

Large sounds good. Any clues as to what it'll be?

Not a car, that's for sure. Three of my last four projects have been cars and I need a break from them. I'm thinking a walker of some sort, probably using Mindstorms.

Not a car, that's for sure. Three of my last four projects have been cars and I need a break from them. I'm thinking a walker of some sort, probably using Mindstorms.

I look forward to seeing what you create. I've been curious about Mindstorms for a while now and am on the look out for a bargain.

A walker is something I have too been thinking. I recently built the Segway-style two-wheeled robot using the Lego gyro sensor, and the way it works gives me hope of a working two-legged walker. There are many walkers that don't really balance them actively, but instead rely on the mechanics of the feet. But I find e balancing very interesting.

42048_C_Model_001.PNG

I turned a Race Kart into a Cement Mixer. This C-Model for the Lego Technic set 42048 has the following functions, best seen in the video below:

• Steering
  • Internal mixer
  • External mixer
  • Fake engine
  • Neutral gear
  • Parking brake
  • Cement spreading pipe

The lack of bevel gears in this set made perpendicular power transfer virtually impossible. The mixer is powered at an angle but the 8 tooth gear has to be placed properly for it to work. It doesn't slip, but it's not my favorite way to build. There are also at least two illegal connections: the steering axle is slightly angled and the parking brake is made by applying pressure to one of the red gears. Both functions work, but hacks like this put unnecessary stress on parts that is not desired in the long run.

42048_C_Model_003.PNG

42048_C_Model_002.PNG

Left over parts:

42048_C_Model_100.PNG

I have always thought that C models are a little unappreciated. It is very difficult to build out of limited number of parts.

Your project is great. It should be added to the C model thread

Wow,great use of the new panels! And you even have leftovers, amazing!

So in search for ideas for a mini engine that functions, is good looking, but also something I could make a V10 I came across a mini V8 on Buster's webpage.  Great little engine!  I know there are other designs for mini engines out there, Sariel has one for a V12 and there are other ideas on youtube, but I was not a fan.  Came across Busters and liked it.   But, I wanted to see how functional it was.  So I built it, in V10 version, with just a few aesthetic additions.  Worked like  charm! 

My build is not done, but thought I would share at least this engine.  The friction is also less than I would have thought.  Ran very well on M PF engine.  Highly recommend for anyone who is building something that needs mini, as opposed to the Lego versions, of engine. 

14748071171_DISPLAY.jpg14748071172_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by nerdsforprez

Thanks for the feedback nerdsforprez, it's cool to see this powered by a motor.  The piston movement is almost hypnotic. When I built it I was also surprised to see that it didn't jam, as there isn't really a smooth transition between TDC and BDC. I'm glad to see it work at higher speeds.  Nice carburetor, too!