Sign in to follow this  
Pimbo

Aquanauts Utility Sub

For my upcoming Aquazone project, I built a small submersible for the Aquanauts faction.

aquanauts_utitlity_sub.jpg

It is intended to be a multipurpose utility submersible, short to medium range, operated by a single Aquanaut and space for one passenger.

Specifications are as follows:

Powerplant: Four 6.5 kAh Hydrogen fuel cells

Propulsion: Single propellor, dual maneuvering pump-jets, max speed: 30 knots

Communications: Dual Enhanced UHF antennae, dual short-range VLF voice comm antennae

Armaments: Dual harpoon launchers

Oxygen supply: 60,000 liters of compressed air, redundant dual 20 m3/hour carbon scrubbers

dsc_0108_.jpg

The submersible (though technically almost a submarine) in all its glory. Three powerfull LED-lamps provide ample lighting for navigating around the seabed.

dsc_0113_.jpg

The propulsion system, fast but not very silent. But it's not meant to be stealth anyway. The trans-neon antennae are a piece of revolutionary sci-fi technology that allows high-bandwith communication over long distances, something that's impossible in current era submarines. Basically it's like underwater 4G with a 300 kilometer range from the cell tower. And the bill being paid by the Aquanaut admiralty. Sweet.

dsc_0136_.jpg

Top hatch, for use when the sub is surfaced only, for obvious reasons. It even features a small window with electrical defogger!

dsc_0138_.jpg

Emergency escape hatches, operated via explosive bolts. Be sure to put on a diving suit first though! Also, it's for easy playability access.

Clearly visible are a tool clip, a control panel, and the diving hatch.

dsc_0140_.jpg

It can even hold an Aquanaut diving suit and the doors will close just fine.

hatch.jpg

The diving hatch, technically it doesn't fit a minifig but oh well. This deep in the ocean, pressure inside the cabin would have to be very high to stop water flowing into the sub, but minifigs are tough! Try smacking one with your hand as it's laying on the table, you'll get my point.

dsc_0148_.jpg

The pilot, operating the sub via dual joysticks. The harpoons are laserguided, and have an optional explosive tip. But surely, there's nothing to fear in the deep seas except maybe huge sharks, giant squids, and competing factions, right?

dsc_0155_.jpg

Since the yellow numbered tile is available 1 through 4, I built four identical subs. They're multipurpose anyway, and there's a lot of work to be done for these fellows, and a lot of stuff to be built!

dsc_0161_.jpg

Additional pictures in the Brickshelf gallery (when it's public) http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=561086

Thanks for viewing, more aquazone builds will follow!

Edited by Pimbo

Those are great! Four of the same, little-Pep of 1995 is very jealous :grin:

Right in the design spirit of the theme, I'm certainly looking forward to your future builds. :thumbup:

Nice work. Do the subs have capability to rescue each other in case of emergency?

Nice work. Do the subs have capability to rescue each other in case of emergency?

No, all hatches open outward so coupling two subs isn't possible. The idea would be that is a sub becomes stuck, you radio the base to send help, put on a diving suit, and open the hatch or activate the emergency pyrotechnic fasteners in the hull.

These subs are really cool and they have so much playability and functions to them.

Great MOC. Lovely builded. :classic:

Nice little subs, looking forward to your upcoming AZ MOCs.

Have a teaser! :pir-grin:

teaser_.jpg

I'll try to post this somewhere in the upcoming weekend

A nice compact vehicle.

Great built. :thumbup:

Thanks!

The more I look at your Aquazone models, the more I get to walk down memory lane. Some of the best years of my childhood was thanks to LEGO Aquazone, absolutely loved them. Thank you for posting your wonderful mocs :D