Hello:

This is my 5th gen crawler that I designed to be extremely robust and powerful. It features full suspension, 4x4 drive, a kingpin inclination, and 3rd party tires.

23601908679_242215e92b_c.jpgIMG_5253 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

The suspension is full floating axle suspension that has a maximum flex of about 90 degrees and 2 inch of up-down travel. After many revisions of the suspension I found that the 1x16 link can serve as a suspension arm nicely and can bend without breaking making the suspension less likely to break of stress. The springs are triangulated making the suspension softer.

23969778295_2b2a2db895_c.jpgIMG_5268 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

Many hours when into the "drive chain" because at first I wanted to have a actual drive shaft going to the axles but that did not work out so I went back to the old motors on the axles.

The XL motors produce amazing torque but amazingly no parts were damaged in when driving over rocks, the only thing that can be considered damage in scratches.

23341543104_591884f689_c.jpgIMG_5257 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

When I first built this crawler I new that with the 3rd party tires + pivot outside of the wheels would = BAD! so I decided to build in a kingpin inclination to solve this issue.

I used the 4L U-Joint's because I did not want to break any of my 3L's.

23342975343_dc3161eef0_c.jpgIMG_5267 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

The wheels are 108mm and are slightly bigger than the 105mm power puller wheels.

More photos are on my Flickr account

Hope you enjoyed!

That Is flexible, any chance of the MOC plans and the name of the tyres?

They are ansmann tires and do you mean instructions? Yes I will make some for the chassis.

"They are ansmann tires and do you mean instructions? Yes I will make some for the chassis."

Yes that's what I mean, Thank you very much.

Edited by ctx1769

It's good to see another Texan on the forum building crawlers and this one looks like it is pretty capable.

You may be able to use less gearing with the torque of the xl motors and gain some wheel speed. In conjunction with a move to the Lipo battery it might really 'fly'.

v/r

Andy

You may be able to use less gearing with the torque of the xl motors and gain some wheel speed. In conjunction with a move to the Lipo battery it might really 'fly'.

Yes now that I think of it I think it could have used less gearing.

I do not have a lipo but maybe I'll get 1 eventually

Very nice build this is!!! Love the concept very much!!! :thumbup::classic:

Thanks!

Superb but that tyres you compaire it with arent powerpullers but crawler tyres

also maybe you could use the knob wheels to get the power from the XL motors on the drivechaft

I dont get what you are saying about the,"tyres you compaire it with arent powerpullers but crawler tyres." The crawler tires are 108mm and PP's are 105mm in diameter.

Yes I think knob wheels would work better, since the video I got a Sbrick for Xmas so do you think I should make a new video?

106mm in fact but those tyres you show in the video at 1.45 are these ( http://brickset.com/parts/4291178 ).

Yes I know the are the 9398 tires but I dont have PP's so I used the 9398 ones for scale in the video but I used PP's for example in my post. Should I change that?

Firstly, thank you for allowing me to benefit from your ongoing labour by making the instructions for this excellent crawler available.

Secondly, I am completely new to Technic and this is the first model that I am in the process of building. Looking ahead to finishing the model - hopefully over the weekend - I have a query about the PFs. You have 2 IR receivers for 2 XL motors and 1 L motor and an AA battery. I only have 1 IR receiver, presumably V2 because it came with a second hand 9398; this means that I also have an AA battery. However, I also have a LiPo battery. My query is whether 1 IR receiver would be sufficient for the motors with the LiPo battery as I could do without spending any more money at the moment?

I apologise if the answer to this query is more obvious than it seems to me, but it is quite a steep learning curve and I am only slowly finding my way into the collective knowledge of the Technic community. As this is also my first post, my apologies also if I have posted inappropriately.

Thanks in anticipation.

Firstly, thank you for allowing me to benefit from your ongoing labour by making the instructions for this excellent crawler available.

Secondly, I am completely new to Technic and this is the first model that I am in the process of building. Looking ahead to finishing the model - hopefully over the weekend - I have a query about the PFs. You have 2 IR receivers for 2 XL motors and 1 L motor and an AA battery. I only have 1 IR receiver, presumably V2 because it came with a second hand 9398; this means that I also have an AA battery. However, I also have a LiPo battery. My query is whether 1 IR receiver would be sufficient for the motors with the LiPo battery as I could do without spending any more money at the moment?

I apologise if the answer to this query is more obvious than it seems to me, but it is quite a steep learning curve and I am only slowly finding my way into the collective knowledge of the Technic community. As this is also my first post, my apologies also if I have posted inappropriately.

Thanks in anticipation.

Welcome to Eurobricks!

I think one receiver should be enough if it is a V2. The LiPo battery will be fine powering the model and will probably make it better because of the increased voltage and decreased weight.

Thank you for building my model, it means a lot.

Thank you and thank you for replying.

Are you intending a 6th generation crawler?

I have made a 6th generation crawler but it was a MOD of the famous 9398 set so I dont know if it counts as a generation of the original crawler.

The 7th gen is probably going to be built in around 1-2 months but I am thinking what to do to make it special to all the other crawlers out there.

I liked what you did with the 9398 as that was effectively my first Technic set.

I know what you mean - there seems to have been a real step change in the evolution of crawlers recently.

I shall look forward to news of your progress, then.

Darryl