CorneliusMurdock

Review: 75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

137 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Outstanding- Bustin' makes me feel good!
    • Above average- Three feet above her covers!
    • Average- Just an ordinary household toaster.
    • Below Average- Nice doggie, maybe I have a milkbone...
    • Poor- Choose and Perish!

I've been assembling my coins ready to buy this...

I don't think any of us are grateful enough that these utterly absurdly wonderful sets get released, coming as they do in an age where computer games and reality tv should have effectively eliminated toys altogether. This costs more than a PS4 in the UK - I'm just thrilled high quality products like this - that manage to capture magic within plastic bricks - are even for sale.

This is such an awesome set. It makes me rethink want i want with my lego and the way it is displayed in my house.

In the future afols will say "where were you when 75827 GBHQ dropped?"

Thank you for your great review, CorneliusMurdock! Not only for the amazing score, but for all the effort in going into so much detail on your evaluation! It really humbles me everytime someone shows so much respect and admiration for something I've worked on.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Thank you for designing such a great set! You packed such great details into it. It's an interesting build that makes a set begging to be explored.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the AWESOME review! I just unwrapped the Ecto-1 this morning and it makes me want this set, to put it inside! :laugh:

The back is fine, since you won't see it. My only gripe is that with the protruding hinges it won't sit flush with a wall. I suppose there's no way around that though. :sceptic:

In regards to the price, I'm sure it's worth every penny, but I won't be buying it. It is still pretty expensive, and there's a bunch of other stuff I want more. :laugh:

Did you notice any problems with opening the firehouse as mentioned in the FBTB review? :look:http://www.fbtb.net/2015/12/22/review-75827-firehouse-headquarters/

Edited by mediumsnowman

Opening, no. Closing it has to be done carefully, though. As long as the lamppost used as a support clears the tiles on the edge of the baseplate, it's fine. Having the roof on helps with a lot of the sagging. I've never broken it while closing it and I've let my kids play with it.

Thanks for this great review. We could expect anything else for this great set. The images are really appreciated :-) I don't think I could get this set soon, due to the price...I have to save money for another sets (the big Scooby doo, new elves, nexo knights, angry birds, CMF...) I tell myself this set will be present for about 3 or 4 years, so I have time to save money for it and wait for a better price in 2 or 3 years or a VIP points x2... This should be a great nice moment to build it :-)

It's super nostalgic ! - it takes us back to 1980-s! Your review is just super. The set needs Marshmallow monster which was uploaded in LEGO ideas. How long should we been creating LEGO sets to to creat that?!!! Such an unspeakable piece of art with unusual building techniques. It looks very realistic.

I like the playability of the creation and that a few different ideas are combined in one set.

Thanks for the great review, I really enjoyed reading it! $400 here in Norway but worth every penny in my eyes! Can`t wait to get hold of it, only a few days away!

Edited by Chilis

^^^^^^Not your fault @Mediumsnowman but I got depressed reading all the negativity in the review you linked to.. OMG, the writer must hate both GB and the HQ.. :wink:

Great review, many thanks for taking the time to make it ! I like this set very much, even though I am a Technic fan. The price is steep, but you get alot for your money.

Really disapointed in the back and the door swing. Those are major design flaws. With the back the way it is you can't display it in a modular town without mods. Almost need to cannibilize a fire brigade to fix it.

Now I know why none of the previosly released pics showed the back.....

Thanks for this great review. Do you have any modular buildings? How does the set compare with these size-wise? I've got this feeling it might be a bit too large, which is making me doubt getting the set.

Thanks for sharing such an in-depth review of the GB HQ playset. Being able to see all the little details up close makes me want this even more! $300 is pretty steep for a set, but it looks well worth it. I'll have to hold off awhile before I can get one, but I grew up with the Kenner playset too and this is a wonderful nod to it. I never actually had the Kenner set (my friend did though), and many hours of fun were spent with it. I kind of remember "slime" that you could push through the skylight. That part was kind of gross (and smelly). :grin:

I love the minifigures in this one - They look spot-on. I especially love the inclusion of Slimer, the zombie cab driver and the librarian ghost (with two faces) - That part of the movie always freaked me out as a kid.

WOW! I think this review took much more time than building the set itself. Kudos to you, sir! :thumbup:

If you dont mind me asking, what is the size of the box? dimensions?

Well damn, it is not the cheapest set, but I'm loving the mini-figs, the sheer size of this thing and the look seems to be bang on too!

First they release Ghostbusters 1 & 2 to blu-ray, and now we get Ghostbusters Lego sets :classic:

Perhaps to nit-pick the only thing that perhaps could've been added (and presumably not at much additional cost) would've been the prime villains from Ghostbusters Gozer and Vigo. Perhaps they are planning more sets where we would see them? (I would love a 2x4 or perhaps bigger painting of Vigo... printed of course :wink: )

I keep hearing the stability of the set, and how it "sags less" if you leave the roof on. I plan to leave the roof on, but honestly, I would rather it didn't 'sag' at all, so it's a bit distressing to hear that it does. But how well are you able to transport the Firehouse?

I will be building it in my dining room, but will be transporting it to my bedroom for display. Will I be able to pick it up and carry it there just fine? There are no stairs involved at all.

I keep hearing the stability of the set, and how it "sags less" if you leave the roof on. I plan to leave the roof on, but honestly, I would rather it didn't 'sag' at all, so it's a bit distressing to hear that it does. But how well are you able to transport the Firehouse?

I will be building it in my dining room, but will be transporting it to my bedroom for display. Will I be able to pick it up and carry it there just fine? There are no stairs involved at all.

I'm willing to bet it transports just fine when it's all closed up. But the floors are modular. Worst case scenario you can just move it in parts to be safe.

Thanks for the review, CorneliusMurdock! I can't wait for Friday.

If you follow the instructions of the set and build it correctly you should have no troubles opening and closing the model or transporting it. The roof must stay on the same way you don't flip a jar of pickles upside down with the lid open and expect the content to stay inside! The model isn't complete without the roof, and the "dollhouse" configuration is the primary way of accessing the inside of it. :)

About what some have started to refer as "an issue" regarding the opening and closing of the model, remember that this is the 3rd largest LEGO model ever produced in terms of number of elements. It has the biggest "hingable" section ever encountered in a LEGO official product: it naturally requires just a bit more of care when handling it. That's all.

Other than that, you should all be able to enjoy and play with your models with no trouble! :)

I don't have any modulars to compare it to, sorry. I know it's a half baseplate deeper, at least. One thing to remember is that there's both exterior and interior walls. That's where a fair amount of the part count goes to instead of height.

The sag is barely noticeable. There's a lot of brick above the lower hinges. The opening feature far outweighs that minor thing.

As with anything made of LEGO, you have to be very careful moving it. I've moved it a few times in various build stages in order to photograph it for the review and I don't think it's flimsy or anything.

For best results, make sure the roof is on properly and the hinged sides are snapped closed. If you can slide it onto something flat that baseplates can fit on, it might be easier.

Thanks all for your responses, especially from the reviewer and designer. :classic:

To Marcos, I had planned to leave the roof on, it's just Cornelius had indicated in his review that it 'sags less' with the review. I guess I didn't want it to sag 'at all'. :) However, Cornelius assured the sag is barely noticeable, which is good. And thank you for reassuring the stability of the set and I shouldn't have any issue in moving it. And I'm not really worried about opening and closing it any longer as I will just be careful when I need to do so.

I will be there day 1 to purchase the set, thanks for making a memorable one!

Just to update, that the price is actually SGD$600, which made it highly desired to get it. :sweet:

Hopefully it will not sell out by the time I get there next week.

How were you able to get yours before the Jan 1 release? I know that there are some on eBay but they don't go on sale till tomorrow online, I've been eagerly waiting for it and the Brick Bank

Never mind, just saw in the beginning of the review, sorry for that I skipped ahead to the build review and all the detailed sections. Great review and can't wait to get my hands on one soon, I'm hoping the online Lego Store goes live at 12:01am EST.