anothergol

[MOC] nanofigure-scaled AT-AT

Pull parts out of the collection and am at the 90% mark. Do you have any more info on the light brick? Bricklink doesn't recognizance part number of 54869 as given by the LDD BOM. I cannot even find a 2x3x1 1/3 sized light brick on BL. If no light brick, can you just fill in the space?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, ecmo47 said:

Pull parts out of the collection and am at the 90% mark. Do you have any more info on the light brick? Bricklink doesn't recognizance part number of 54869 as given by the LDD BOM. I cannot even find a 2x3x1 1/3 sized light brick on BL. If no light brick, can you just fill in the space?

Thanks!

Hi, it's your standard light brick, there are plenty on BrickLink, most common is red, also exists in yellow. But yeah, it's not required.

However I've been working on a "smooth" version of the body, which addresses the nasty gaps and even features a slight slanting that even most large AT-AT's don't. Not fully happy with it though, as some parts, especially the back, look inferior.

AT-AT-Rework.jpg

So I've been redesigning the body, for smooth joints, and I'm making a nice base to go with it. I think all it's now missing to be the ultimate mini-AT-AT is some prints.

Problem is the costs.. but maybe this is where a group buy would be interesting, as the costs are mainly for set-up, I guess.

I've been toying with printed disks, because they're the most important I believe, and also because there are 8 of them in 1 build, thus it wouldn't require too many participants to gather enough round tiles for an order. Also because this print would look rather generic & be useful in other builds (like, mechs, spaceships or even as barrel lids).
While it would cost hundreds to print just 1 of these, custom shops out there seem to sell these for under 1eur each and still make a profit, so that would be the goal to reach, only it would require a large enough order, and then having to re-ship them (or perhaps leave the shop do this alone, if the printing service also has an online shop).

The tile would look like this:

PrintedTest.jpg

There are other places that could use printing, like

-1x the front "hole" 2x2 round tile (instead of the grille)

-2x a back 1x2x2 panel with AT-AT-specific detail

-2x a side 1x4x2 panel with AT-AT-specific detail

Now I don't know about the existing services out there, which ones are the cheapest, which ones offer the best quality (I think the most important here is proper registration/centering on the tiles). All I know is that all of these tiles would only require black, and thus could possibly be laser-etched. If not, pad-printing would work as well, and would possibly allow some slight blue tint on side panels.

Anyone would be interested in this?

Edited by anothergol

Those printed rounded plates look great! I would totally buy some. 

I made some upgrades to this thing as well in lieu of the printed plates, but I think I would rather have the printed plates.

UtoB654.jpg

I also upgraded the connection to the head so it won't fall off so much.

vJg7NsH.jpg

I'd be down for some printed 2x2 round tiles if they were available.

Here are some photo's of a pair that I'm working on. Thanks to Kappaknight for the improved neck connection. Works great! I made a few mods that ya'll may be interested in. I was very happy with the new face. That LBG ingot piece is the perfect view-port. I also moded the back left panel to simulate the "exhaust fan" detail. It was made with part number 194 (Utility Hose Nozzle) stuck in a head-light brick. I'm still on version one of the legs but I played around with the feet to try to create toes. Anyway, loved the project and an very grateful that you shared your creativity.

31973631620_761220f8da_c.jpgDSC01822 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

31973622680_d97e2f21cb_c.jpgDSC01824 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

31973626940_3ca39a54bc_c.jpgDSC01823 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32311256526_6c2e4a6ab3_c.jpgDSC01821 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47

Looks like I'll need to upgrade my mini AT-ATs. I have built 3 from the "Build Your Own Galaxy" book I got 3 years ago. See image below. I am really liking the brickuilt body panels over the plate panels I have on mine. The detailing is much better and hopefully the leg connections will be stronger then the ones I have. I look forward to building them.

13363171953_a3b1a63474_z.jpg

Miro

Nice upgrade on the head, I had tried to use the gold ingot but at the top (as there is also a bump there), but it improves the front too.

The exhaust on the side won't be possible in the new "flat" version, which I still have to seriously make pictures of. In the meantime..
So I've changed the body nearly entirely, managed to preserve the light brick & the back detail. Changed the neck, and added the round 1/4 tiles to the head. And made a nice base for it.

ATAT3_Test.jpg

ATAT3_Test2.jpg

So who'd be for printed tiles? I don't know how many it'd take for prices to become acceptable, though.

Were AT-AT's really bending knee joints backwards, btw?

Edited by anothergol

While I like the idea of the gold ingot on the front, I don't like the bulk added by the 2x2 tile. I think I'll go for this instead, however I'm out of ideas to cover the hole below:

ATATHead.jpg

This is a great thread. I was visiting the Brickvault Youtube channel guys today and I saw that Charles has designed an AT-AT at this scale and I really like the feet/ankles in particular. There is an LDD file in the updates section. Linked below. I will join in building a fusion version soon.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/129100/updates

Miro

I'd be down for some printed plates! Throw some numbers out and we can see what we can do.

@Miro78 - your MOC is awesome! I'm hoping to create something like it... hopefully it'll be just as cool.

13 hours ago, Miro78 said:

This is a great thread. I was visiting the Brickvault Youtube channel guys today and I saw that Charles has designed an AT-AT at this scale and I really like the feet/ankles in particular. There is an LDD file in the updates section. Linked below. I will join in building a fusion version soon.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/129100/updates

Miro

It's nice but it's a little bigger, trust me that 4x4 feet won't work on mine. As for sticking toes to 3x3's, it's possible but it would be a challenge to preserve the roundness. So I went for 3x3 disks (while the previous version had 3x3 radars) with no toes.

The parts that you used in yours is too a better fit, I had considered using it, but here again it looked too big.

13 hours ago, kappaknight said:

I'd be down for some printed plates! Throw some numbers out and we can see what we can do.

Hi, do you mean that you can print tiles?

Edited by anothergol

I've taken proper pictures of the latest version, and while they've been blogged in places, I figured out I'd also update its mother thread.

So I'm still looking for help as for printing tiles, or people interested in a group order of tiles for this or their own AT-AT of the same scale.

33635695603_9a91030c47_z_d.jpg34285821942_a4dfd51ab7_z_d.jpg

It's just perfect. Astounding accuracy at the scale! As soon as I have time, I'm going to try a recreation! Caught it few days ago and meant to comment. Brilliant stuff :)

Edited by badgerboy

Oh my god, this is so awesome! Especially last pics on the base. Ace diorama, would love a go at this. What's the drama with the printed round plates? Noob query possibly!

21 hours ago, Brickdad said:

Oh my god, this is so awesome! Especially last pics on the base. Ace diorama, would love a go at this. What's the drama with the printed round plates? Noob query possibly!

Thanks

Well I'd like to have a couple of tiles printed for it, but apparently it's expensive, so I made a call in my Flickr to know who'd be ready for a group order. Knowing that each uses 8 round tiles, those would be ideal for a group order. But it could use printed panels for the sides & way more.
But perhaps I will end up getting a decal sheet printed instead.

I love nanofigure-scaled AT-AT! I am currently building this but have come across a part on step 21 that is not on the parts list. I've never seen this piece before. It's translucent red on top and dark grey on the bottom half. It also has a place to accept a technic arm. I am puzzled...please help!

Edited by jhaigh22

4 hours ago, anothergol said:

Hi, it's a light brick. Easy to find in red, exists in orange as well.

(also it's optional if you don't want light)

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. After I posted this I came across a sound brick on Bricklink which is the same dimensions as the light brick (obviously). It supposedly makes "space noises" whatever that means...LOL! I ordered it and look forward to finishing the AT-AT with space sounds! :-) 

BTW - do you have plans for the base that I saw pictured above? I'd love to build that too. Also, I would be in for an order of the round printed tiles. Thanks so much!!

On 14/01/2017 at 3:25 PM, anothergol said:

Now I don't know about the existing services out there, which ones are the cheapest, which ones offer the best quality (I think the most important here is proper registration/centering on the tiles).

Now this is probably too late but minifigs.me are quite good  but they are uk based if that would be a problem.

I've just built this model and I really like it. However, I have a question. Does the wing assembly actually attach to the cockpit assembly or does it just rest on it by gravity. I've looked over the build instructions and I can't figure out how to get them to attach to each other. Thanks, and apologies for resurrecting an older post.

Edited by pharmjod

3 hours ago, pharmjod said:

I've just built this model and I really like it. However, I have a question. Does the wing assembly actually attach to the cockpit assembly or does it just rest on it by gravity. I've looked over the build instructions and I can't figure out how to get them to attach to each other. Thanks, and apologies for resurrecting an older post.

Hi,

nothing is holding by gravity, everything is attached. Assuming you're talking about the old v2 that's old Rebrickable, are you talking about the Snowspeeders? The wings are on a clip, clip is on a bar, bar is on another round clip held by the roof jumper & the 1x2 grill above it. It's not held underneath, it's only held by the jumper.
So yeah it's fragile, but it's all legal connections (except for the AT-AT's head guns that shouldn't be pushed fully if you don't wanna damage them).

Oh & no problem resurrecting, I'm actually done with the next version & I plan to make it available, as soon as I can get my parts printed (still trying after a whole year I see. I have all the artwork done for 30 parts).

Edited by anothergol