snaillad

MOC: Paradisa Cafe

Hello everyone,

I was Inspired by a couple of sets I had when I was a child - Breezeway Cafe - 6376 and Sand Dollar Cafe - 6411. The colour combinations used were cheerful and I always wished I had bricks using the colours of the Sand dollar baseplate in particular! Thanks to the 'friends' theme for bringing more choice of bricks in lighter colours I can create something I've had in mind for sometime now. The main part I wanted to use was the large curved window pieces which I purchased a while back. The ground floor houses a bicycle and surf board rental shop and the Paradisa cafe bar area, the upstairs lifts off in one piece and has more seating for a great sea view!

No parrots included, although I have added the much loved seagull, a splash of pink and the usual palm-tree.

I would have loved to have done a fully rendered background in the style of Paradisa but don't have the know how so I've simply used a couple of the typical colours.

On with the 3 and only 3 pics (Hopefully Santa will bring me a new Camera!)

23816969372_c24b60df12_c.jpg

23557402489_5c1ba80c6f_c.jpg

23298470043_9c24273516_c.jpg

You can view them on my flickr page here https://www.flickr.c...s/52656812@N04/

Any comments of feedback welcome!

Best wishes for winter! Bring on summer :laugh:

Stunning as usual. The lamp post and the lettering are simple and clever ideas I might borrow. Would you mind sharing how you built the blue-white awning on the shop? Is it as fragile as it looks?

You nailed the Paradisa style :thumbup:

Great job!

I like the design of the structure in particular, the colors are also so refreshing. That guy with the skates tho.. :snicker:

I noticed him too :laugh:

Edited by Robert8

Straight forward clean build with some nice touches of colours.

The lamp leaning over the road and the bicycle garrage are particularly appealing to me. :classic:

Its so Miami Beach... :D

I love the way you did the signage / lettering.

The roller skating guy in the speedo with the 'stach is cracking me up! :D

Beautiful!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I live in Miami and I must say the Friends line has totally opened a lot of doors. Over the last three years, I've loaded up on the aquas, pinks, yellows. It definitely makes modeling my area a lot easier.

You've captured the look and feel VERY well. Bravo!!

Really great design. i have a pair of those large glass pieces, but could never figure out what to do with them. Same with the friends colors. Breezway cafe and the paradisa theme were around when I was a kid, though outdated, still great sets.

I am missing a scarface figure there :)

Edited by Sven F

Wow, that top section is just beautiful. Fantastic work.

Thanks Mr Greeble, it was pretty fun to build I just wish I had more appropriate pink bricks to put in the sign!

Stunning as usual. The lamp post and the lettering are simple and clever ideas I might borrow. Would you mind sharing how you built the blue-white awning on the shop? Is it as fragile as it looks?

Hi BlockLogo, the awning is attached onto 1x2 hinge bricks which are connected horizontally onto 1x4 bricks with studs on one side, there is hardly any weight on the awning and pretty stable so I only used a few hinges. Its also set back a little deeper into the building to the hinges can be hidden. Best of luck!

Top-notch!

Thanks Graham Gidman!

I like the design of the structure in particular, the colors are also so refreshing. That guy with the skates tho.. :snicker:

You nailed the Paradisa style :thumbup:

Great job!

I noticed him too :laugh:

Cheers Only Sinner and Robert8, this is how man on roller skates likes to relax in his spare time, in most of the paradisa sets he's waiting on other people! :laugh:

Another sweet build! For some reason I really like the street lamp. So simple, yet so effective.

Looks very friendly. I like the letters on the roof.

Straight forward clean build with some nice touches of colours.

The lamp leaning over the road and the bicycle garrage are particularly appealing to me. :classic:

Its so Miami Beach... :D

I love the way you did the signage / lettering.

The roller skating guy in the speedo with the 'stach is cracking me up! :D

Thank you very much peedeejay, ArchitectureFan, KlodsBrik and shannanigan!

Beautiful!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I live in Miami and I must say the Friends line has totally opened a lot of doors. Over the last three years, I've loaded up on the aquas, pinks, yellows. It definitely makes modeling my area a lot easier.

You've captured the look and feel VERY well. Bravo!!

Thanks brickbuilder711, I don't tend to purchase friends sets but I am very grateful for the colours, I'm hoping someday someone at TLG gets my hint about sand red! :wink:

Nice idea, well executed.

Really great design. i have a pair of those large glass pieces, but could never figure out what to do with them. Same with the friends colors. Breezway cafe and the paradisa theme were around when I was a kid, though outdated, still great sets.

I am missing a scarface figure there :)

Thanks TenorPenny and Sven F, this was the specific kind of building I had in mind when I purchased the curved windows, but I did use one in my previous garage build, I've got other ideas how to use them, science fiction probably. Was there not a scene in Scareface where Tony Montana wore rollerskates? :grin:

I really love this build snaillad! It is so clean and well executed. Would love to see some pics of the interior as well if you get around to it.

Looks great! Love the Paradisa sign and the dining area.

Love this! It would be Awesome if Lego released a special edition Paradisa set, maybe a beach motel or something.

This looks very Paradisa-like, and I like it even more than the Paradisa (from pictures, as I never had those sets). The colours are lovely, and they help to create the right atmosphere. The rounded large windows are a great detail, and make it easier to see the inside. The sign is great as well. All in all, it's a great and somewhat nostalgic build. Well done.

This roller skating mustached guy in his underpants is so '80s I hear Hall & Oates in my head (his garments should be pink to complete the effect :wink:).

A waiter? More like a "lover and a fighter". :laugh:

Ha. It's really yuky outside and cold but when I look at your little creation I get all warm and want to go to a coffee-shop and drink one & probably eat a cake or ice-cream there.

Haha. Well done!

I really love this build snaillad! It is so clean and well executed. Would love to see some pics of the interior as well if you get around to it.

That's pretty cool. I don't think anyone's done "neo-Paradisa" before, but that fits into the theme pretty nicely. Do you have any shots of the interior?

Thanks Boromir and Brickadier, I did interiors but I couldn't get any good shots, as there is 2 rooms separated by a staircase so space is limited, one of the reasons I prefer open backed buildings!

Looks great! Love the Paradisa sign and the dining area.

Thanks Kristel!

Love this! It would be Awesome if Lego released a special edition Paradisa set, maybe a beach motel or something.

Cheers Ajax, I suspect paradisa is gone for good, I suppose the spirit lives on somewhat in the Friends line.

This looks very Paradisa-like, and I like it even more than the Paradisa (from pictures, as I never had those sets). The colours are lovely, and they help to create the right atmosphere. The rounded large windows are a great detail, and make it easier to see the inside. The sign is great as well. All in all, it's a great and somewhat nostalgic build. Well done.

Thank you Redhead1982, I would have loved to make some of the letters in the Paradisa pastel pink or even a modern pink colour but had to go with what I had. I hope to re-invent something from the past again later in the year!

Amazing! I like your designs very much :)

Cheers cebelicamya!

This roller skating mustached guy in his underpants is so '80s I hear Hall & Oates in my head (his garments should be pink to complete the effect :wink:).

A waiter? More like a "lover and a fighter". :laugh:

Hi Immo, I nearly gave him pink rollerskates from a CMF waitress but had to draw the line somewhere! :grin:

Ha. It's really yuky outside and cold but when I look at your little creation I get all warm and want to go to a coffee-shop and drink one & probably eat a cake or ice-cream there.

Haha. Well done!

Very nice build. It has a 'classic' feel to it!

Thanks connyx and legojeroen!