Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

Waiting for the first photos and reviews, 'case I want to make my own conclusion based on the DS appearance...

How soon is it gonna be? Release is on the 15 September..but IMHO TLG should show it a month before, so sooner or later...

I'm surprised it hasn't been revealed already, actually. Could be some time this week, although I don't think they do Press Releases & Designer Videos on a specific day. It just happens when it happens, which is seemingly random if past reveals are anything to go by.

Edited by Nokturn

So much debate for a set that's 97 % identical to the original (we know that now) - the only revelation to come is the Ben Kenobi figure since we pretty much know everything else (if they didn't give Vader long legs, dual molded for the Officers or something like that).

At least we have a date for it now. It is a shame that we still have to wait 2 weeks but we have concrete info so I'm happy.

I really do think that if they marketed this new DS as a remake of the 2008 version from the offset ("there's rumours that 10188 will get a remake in 2016") instead of suggesting it may be an all new model, there really wouldn't be half the complaints. I think this is less so an issue with LEGO or their designers (let's not get into that again...) and more so an issue with leaks not giving all the information which leads to our imaginations getting ahead of reality.

If back in December rumours just said that 10188 would get a do-over with some awesome new minifigures and some 200 pieces to improve on the weaker aspects of the predecessor, people wouldn't mind that at all and wouldn't think anything of it.

It's also worth noting that if 10188 just continued selling for another 8 years I doubt anyone would bat an eye, but because it gets a few tweaks, some new figures and a price adjusted for inflation along the way everyone suddenly loses their minds!

...if a new UCS falcon was rumoured and just turned out to be an exact copy of 10179 I bet no one would complain then... :)

Edited by Mymaker123

can't wait for designer video lol

Err, we have some err nice new stickers here, the new Death Star will be available in the shop for $1000 next week! Exciting!

can't wait for designer video lol

Err, we have some err nice new stickers here, the new Death Star â„¢ will be available in the shop for $1000 next week! Exciting!

In all honesty, I'm assuming they'll pad the video out by pretending like it's a new and exciting design. They probably won't even mention the fact that 10188 exists. I've come to terms with the fact that this set will not be for AFOLs at all, unless of course one doesn't own 10188. As others have already pointed out, the target market is the new generation of fans, some of whom haven't even been born yet; 75159 will very likely be on shelves for a long time. That's not to say that our opinions don't matter, but we're still very clearly not who the set was made for.

Do we have pictures of the back of the RO boxes?

Only for the TIE Striker, Target.com listed that one early. Pics are out there.

Well i'm gonna build what 75159 SHOULD have been in LDD.

I'll probably do the same, maybe we'll come up with completely different interpretations.

Edited by Nokturn

In all honesty, I'm assuming they'll pad the video out by pretending like it's a new and exciting design. They probably won't even mention the fact that 10188 exists. I've come to terms with the fact that this set will not be for AFOLs at all, unless of course one doesn't own 10188. As others have already pointed out, the target market is the new generation of fans, some of whom haven't even been born yet; 75159 will very likely be on shelves for a long time. That's not to say that our opinions don't matter, but we're still very clearly not who the set was made for.

Only for the TIE Striker, Target.com listed that one early. Pics are out there.

Thank you, I'll have a look then. I was mainly wanting to see the Shuttle as I'm interested in what the interior has to offer.

Thank you, I'll have a look then. I was mainly wanting to see the Shuttle as I'm interested in what the interior has to offer.

You're welcome. I'm definitely waiting for more pics of Krennic's Shuttle as well; easily my most anticipated set this year.

Well, sometimes they reveal sets because a picture has just been leaked/set found in a store/what have you, probably because they have the press release/photos/designer video ready and they're like "OK, better reveal this now than have this bad image all over the internet in 12 hours." That's just my guessing, I don't know anything about internal decisions like that... however, if that theory is correct, they might reveal it before September 1 if something else happens first. Seems like the Winter Train was revealed early because of that, when it comes out at the same time as 75159...

I really do think that if they marketed this new DS as a remake of the 2008 version from the offset ("there's rumours that 10188 will get a remake in 2016") instead of suggesting it may be an all new model, there really wouldn't be half the complaints. I think this is less so an issue with LEGO or their designers (let's not get into that again...) and more so an issue with leaks not giving all the information which leads to our imaginations getting ahead of reality.

If back in December rumours just said that 10188 would get a do-over with some awesome new minifigures and some 200 pieces to improve on the weaker aspects of the predecessor, people wouldn't mind that at all and wouldn't think anything of it.

It's also worth noting that if 10188 just continued selling for another 8 years I doubt anyone would bat an eye, but because it gets a few tweaks, some new figures and a price adjusted for inflation along the way everyone suddenly loses their minds!

...if a new UCS falcon was rumoured and just turned out to be an exact copy of 10179 I bet no one would complain then... :)

People would probably never complain about the Millenium Falcon, those who got it, loved it and those who didn't, want it (I have it but have never built it, I keep trying to get the time to do it but life gets in the way).

I get the do-over thing, I think that it should be substantial though if you going to rebuild the set, hopefully it is, although I remain sceptical at the moment...

I think the sources for the information at present are reasonably reliable, its not the usual "A store person told me they've seen it and it has ..." that's probably the reason for peoples concern. With all the pieces and techniques for building out there perhaps the reason for a wholly original remake isn't without basis?

How different could a Death Star remake really have been?

They didn't release a new Episode IV with all new Death Star scenes since 2008, so it was always going to be the same scenes.

Just like all the X-Wing and Snowspeeder remakes that are going to continue ad infinitum until the license is allowed to lapse.

Since almost everyone blew a gasket about the disconnected aspect of Assault on Hoth, shouldn't getting one big build be the preferable option? Which means it pretty much had to be a sphere again, with all the same rooms, right?

The Death Star II UCS clearly never sold as well as 10188, so they weren't about to go that style again with big sphere just for looking at and collecting dust.

So how would they have changed it, it still been the same battlestation, and still included the appropriate scenes, and it not being essentially the same set, only updated?

And does anyone REALLY think they will keep the same price point as a set released a decade ago that had less pieces, the same number of minifigures, and is roughly the same size?

That way lies financial ruin.

Now, I'm going to wait until we get actual images of the actual new set before suffering tremendous personal grief and injury then complain for DAYS (maybe years) about how it wasn't twice as large, but $300 cheaper, with 200 more minifigures (120 OT Stormtroopers, all the guys in the conference room, all of the Bounty Hunters from the SSD Bridge scene, plus exclusive editions of Aunt Beru, battle outfit Padme, Walrus Man, Dr. Evazan, the Cantina barkeeper and of course, Willrow Hood with exclusive ice cream maker accessory looking for a ride to Bespin.

:snicker:

Edited by rollermonkey

Between RO this year and the anniversary of ANH next year, I bet the timing of the new DS was very purposeful.

It's the anniversary EVERY year

Call me crazy, but I actually had a dream I saw the DS, I don't know if anyone collects MegaBloks, but they are releasing the Ninja Turtles Technodrome from the classic series around september which is another set I want, and it's just as you expect it, big and very fun, and for some reason my dream kept mixing up the pieces from the megabloks to old Lego DS therefore it was quite interesting.

Here's a link for reference:

https://www.megabloks.com/en-us/shop/construction-toys/tmnt-collectors/technodrome-dpd82

Call me crazy, but I actually had a dream I saw the DS, I don't know if anyone collects MegaBloks, but they are releasing the Ninja Turtles Technodrome from the classic series around september which is another set I want, and it's just as you expect it, big and very fun, and for some reason my dream kept mixing up the pieces from the megabloks to old Lego DS therefore it was quite interesting.

https://www.megabloks.com/en-us/shop/construction-toys/tmnt-collectors/technodrome-dpd82

The fact that it has panels and opens out is cool!

Whoa that looks fantastic! If megablocks can pull off that design for 250 bucks, why can't Lego do similar for a New DS ?!

You may be crazy for using the term "MB" on here but I think the 'dollhouse' design is probably closer to what a lot of people were hoping for. It must put an enormous strain on those hinges though! For that reason alone I can't see TLG doing something similar for the DS...it wouldn't pass their durability criteria.

Whoa that looks fantastic! If megablocks can pull off that design for 250 bucks, why can't Lego do similar for a New DS ?!

Probably down to the fact that the interior build looks pretty poor and sparse so they can concentrate on an outer shell. The DS features iconic rooms and locations that span two movies. More parts... More money.

It must put an enormous strain on those hinges though! For that reason alone I can't see TLG doing something similar for the DS...it wouldn't pass their durability criteria.

I was just thinking this. The outer shell would be incredibly heavy in terms of LEGO even if it is just plates.

I think if they re-released the old 10179 falcon without at least updating the cockpit and giving it a semblance of an interior, and increased the price to 600 - 700 euro, people would still complain and rightly so.