Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

For people like me that have an unusual attraction to light bley pieces, this wave is a godsend.

I only see *one* (93604) part new in LBG, though

I have no interest in all those new models. But they seem very well designed to me.

Lot of details, nice textures, good joins in the angled sections, etc, etc.

I am not very fond of the final models, but I think designers did a great job.

Exactly, I feel the same about these sets, particularly the AT-ST; I am not too fond of it, despite having designed my own, but I am impressed with Lego's advancements in the quality of their designs.

I only see *one* (93604) part new in LBG, though

That could be useful for something, dunno…

I'm really looking forward to seeing the interior of Krennic's shuttle. Unfortunately, there are no visible clips that imply opening hatches other than the cockpit. I'm guessing that the entire front of the ship folds out to reveal the interior, but that might make access to the back of the shuttle a little difficult. Perhaps the sides can fold out a bit as well?

Yeah I hope there's something besides the usual pointless hidden speederbike. A mini command station, or the Death Star plans or something.

The ship could be an Imperial stealth shuttle of some kind - why else be black?

Some of that space would accommodate the landing gear, too.

[snip]

Not sure if this has been pointed out - there was talk of "did Lego get the variable geometry flight wings on the U Wing correct compared to Kylo Ren's shuttle which they messed up" and if you look at the image of the U wing, you can see three 1x2 exposed hinge buckles at the base of where the wings would fold in, so I think they got it right this time, I think those wings should fold up very easily on three hinges.

Do you guys think Minifigures can stand in the troop compartment of the U-Wing? It doesn't look like it imo.

I think they can - it looks like about at least 6 studs from the ground to the base of the cockpit. Maybe even as high as 8 studs?

Edited by Brickdoctor
Removed leaked image.

Exactly, I feel the same about these sets, particularly the AT-ST; I am not too fond of it, despite having designed my own, but I am impressed with Lego's advancements in the quality of their designs.

I agree that the new sets look to be of good quality, and the new pictures really make them pop, but I can't shake the feeling that something's a little "off." I think it just may be that the designs of Rogue One are a little dull, not really anything that's LEGO's fault. It's almost like the designers (for the film) of the U-Wing and TIE Striker were faced with the problem "well we have to design something new...what hasn't been done yet? Also we can't make it look too advanced because this is before Episode IV."

And again, I really like what LEGO did with the texture on the front of the shuttle, and it looks like it has room for a big interior. Combine that with great minifigures, and it's a day-one purchase for me. But in the back of my mind, there's a little voice saying "the design of that shuttle looks like the Lambda-class shuttle you tried to build when you were 7 years old." (I think I made some "hovertanks" due to a lack of treads, too.)

As for the AT-ST -- an original trilogy vehicle -- I like the design of the "head." It reminds me a lot of some of the good MOCs out there. Isn't that conical piece on the sides of the head the expensive Scala piece that some of the AT-ST MOCs use? The legs are a bit too fat for my tastes, but I understand why they might be designed that way, and it's probably easy to mod. Anyway, I'm pleased that we're finally getting a passable AT-ST in a set by itself, so I'll be getting several of these.

So yeah, I'll probably be getting everything in this Imperial-heavy wave -- just worried that the new vehicle designs in Rogue One may be a bit lackluster. Luckily, the film will also have tried-and-true original trilogy vehicles, like the Star Destroyer and AT-AT.

Edited by Raskolnikov

Yeah I hope there's something besides the usual pointless hidden speederbike. A mini command station, or the Death Star plans or something.

Looking at the pictures, I wonder if the side panels, or even the font panel, can fold away. Perhaps in a similar way to the side of the Shuttle Tydirium set.

Wouldn't say everything about the EU was great but they could have at least taken some inspiration from it. Concerning characters, plot AND the designs. Instead of all the other non-canon T-designs we get a grey sausage with super large wings. It seems that "super large wings" have to be the prime feature of every new ship now..

Now there's just the DS left... Isn't it odd that we still don't know anything but rumors since it will come out in the next 2 months?

I think 2016 is the worst year ever for Lego Star Wars. Since 2010, the detail within the line has increased exponentially and each year was better than the last one (though I personally like 2011 a little more than 2012 but they were all incredibly solid years) up until 2014. Up until then, the prices kept rising, but the prices were still reasonable for the increased quality that you got. 2014 really started the trend of sets becoming smaller but more detailed, but in the case of the ISD it was a great compromise. 2013 and '14 are by far my favorite years for Lego Star Wars. The stud shooters and the overuse of spring-loaded shooters didn't even bug me. The models were great and there were plenty of figures as well.

Back in the day, people complained that they made mediocre sets with an awesome minifig lineup, but at least the figures were there and they were some of the most advanced in the entirety of Lego, detail-wise. This trend continued into 2015. 2015 has been pretty good as well, but as soon as the TFA wave hit tons of people were almost priced out of collecting. We knew Lego was expensive, but this was ridiculously getting out of hand.

Now, in 2016, we have the worst UCS set ever, 110 dollar / 140 euro sets with only five under-detailed figures and small models with under 1000 pieces, a terrible rendition of Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor (they should've just recolored the 2014 version), cash-grab Freemaker adventure sets (with one being quite okay and the other being the most ugly Lego model ever) that waste slots on potential new movie and Rebels sets and an incredible lack of desirable minifigures because the minifigure lineups are some of the most repetitive and lazy choices in a while. Back in the day we could at least get them, now we're running short of tons of characters that we'll probably never get the chance of seeing again because there's so much new SW content coming out. And then there's the lack of new molds and other molding and printing techniques that other licensed and non-licensed minifigs from other themes do have.

I just took a look at the shuttle and the death troopers have pauldrons so that's good. The shuttle looks great so I may end up getting it.

I just took a look at the shuttle and the death troopers have pauldrons so that's good. The shuttle looks great so I may end up getting it.

those pauldrons are huge. i was hoping for a redesign to shrink them up a little. They're supposed to cover the shoulder, not the entire arm.

Important!

While TLG acknowledges that Amazon Italy is an official source and isn't considered confidential, they have requested that we avoid sharing the Rogue One images until further notice.

As a reminder of how this affects EB: you may not embed or link images in posts on EB, and you may not use EB to send, offer to send, or request to be sent images. How well you use Google is none of our business...as long as you're not making EB your Google.

I'm going to temporarily lock this topic for a few hours just to make sure everyone reads this. Both we and TLG thank you and apologize for any inconvenience.

I'm not trying to be ignorant, I'm just wondering for my own knowledge and learning, but is TLG saying legally not to post anything, or just "please don't post anything"?

The embargo ends on release date again? Really? Some people have to plan ahead for these things... and anyway, don't they put up sets on Shop at Home a few weeks early with a note saying "Coming Soon!"? Clearly this is somebody at Disney who doesn't know how the Internet works. Trying to keep sets secret barely, if ever, actually works... we still know that they exist, we still know what they look like, and [snip]. Disney can make whatever requests they like, the pictures stay there.That leaked picture from a few months back was still circling around on the Internet last week. This is getting more ridiculous than when someone bought the last Hobbit sets at Toys R Us and New Line Cinema viciously demanded that he take down his own photos... [snip]

@Chewybricks: Bad idea...

Edited by Brickdoctor
Removed potential invitations to share leaked photos.

Way to ignore the embargo there Chewy...

Does this mean that September 30th is the expected release date for the Rogue One sets?

EDIT: sorry, looks like that question was answered already. It IS the release date.

Edited by nymmerod

The embargo ends on release date again? Really? Some people have to plan ahead for these things... and anyway, don't they put up sets on Shop at Home a few weeks early with a note saying "Coming Soon!"? Clearly this is somebody at Disney who doesn't know how the Internet works. Trying to keep sets secret barely, if ever, actually works... we still know that they exist, we still know what they look like, and [snip] Disney can make whatever requests they like, the pictures stay there.That leaked picture from a few months back was still circling around on the Internet last week. This is getting more ridiculous than when someone bought the last Hobbit sets at Toys R Us and New Line Cinema viciously demanded that he take down his own photos... [snip]

Yeah Lego half me take the images down off my Flickr page

The "official" release may be september 30th but a LOT of physical stores are going to have this available by mid september.

They really are pushing the embargo this time around. Poor reviewers :(

The "official" release may be september 30th but a LOT of physical stores are going to have this available by mid september.

Why do so few stores in America and Canada care about release dates? We never see stuff early in Europe.

I'm sure there will be an official Lego announcement/reveal before then so we can officially see these pictures.

Full look at new Rogue One sets with close ups and entertaining commentary!

-[snip]-

Your link has been removed! Please read below.

Important!

While TLG acknowledges that Amazon Italy is an official source and isn't considered confidential, they have requested that we avoid sharing the Rogue One images until further notice.

As a reminder of how this affects EB: you may not embed or link images in posts on EB, and you may not use EB to send or request to be sent images. How well you use Google is none of our business...as long as you're not making EB your Google.

I'm not trying to be ignorant, I'm just wondering for my own knowledge and learning, but is TLG saying legally not to post anything, or just "please don't post anything"?

At the moment, TLG is saying "please," and we're enforcing it because we kind of like and respect the people who make the best toys on the planet.

The embargo ends on release date again? Really? Some people have to plan ahead for these things...

Which really isn't TLG's or Disney's concern. These are still toys targeted towards kids; they're neither limited productions nor collector's pieces that the majority of buyers plan ahead for.

[snip]

We do not, of course, make any attempt to control what you do outside of EB, and I'm not sure you had any intentions otherwise, but I will reiterate that you may not use EB to send, offer to send, or request to be sent leaked images.