Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

All these promo figs make me think LEGO would love to do a Star Wars Collectible Minifigure Series but for what ever reason they won't or can't.

Really hope I can get my hands on one of these!

I would think it'd be Rogue One related. Maybe a Rogue One Stormtrooper. With backpack!

All these promo figs make me think LEGO would love to do a Star Wars Collectible Minifigure Series but for what ever reason they won't or can't.

Really hope I can get my hands on one of these!

There's a whole thread about it, but the consensus seems to be it's about contracts. Hasbro has a very specific contract that allows certain loopholes (Disney's Elite series of 6" die cast figures that are very similar to Hasbro's own Black Series), but otherwise prevents even Funko from releasing their Pop vinyl SW characters (and most--tho not all--Marvel characters) as 'vinyl figures', instead adding a bobblehead feature to 'em... and as such, Lego can't release SW minifigs on their own without being packaged with items like books or with buildable models, or as 'gift with purchase, not for individual sale' polybags. So CMFs are out, tho there's still plenty of fodder in the Saga and associated licensed works to fill multiple CMF series and still have lots of desirable characters/variants available for sets.

Edited by Venkefedo

Am I the only one a little tired from all these cool exclusives? Honestly why can't these mini figures be put in sets readily available to everyone? Every now and then for things like May the Fourth. I would gladly pay Lego to get these but I don't have a Toys R Us or similar store anywhere near me or that's accessible in any form. Maybe I say this for purely selfish reason :blush: I just wish Lego wouldn't make it so darn difficult to get these cool figures.

In terms of no SW CMF line can I just say Hasbro can go do certain things because that's ridiculous. I actually completely understand why they would stipulate that but I don't understand why Disney would allow them to dictate such terms. With Disney in charge of the franchise now, Hasbro is lucky to have Star Wars not the other way around. Still these are not decisions made by us mere mortals.

It just seems a bit odd that over the past year an a half Lego has produced so many SW promotional minifigs, most of which feel superfluous (eg slightly different FO Stormtrooper, FO General and now an A-wing pilot). It almost feels like Lego really wants to do a SW CMS line but these promotional are the only way they can distribute the figs. But maybe that's just me.

Or maybe they are just saving all of the good figures for the new Death Star? I've enjoyed a lot of the Force Awakens and Rebels sets but I always love to see the original trilogy revisited.

In terms of no SW CMF line can I just say Hasbro can go do certain things because that's ridiculous. I actually completely understand why they would stipulate that but I don't understand why Disney would allow them to dictate such terms. With Disney in charge of the franchise now, Hasbro is lucky to have Star Wars not the other way around. Still these are not decisions made by us mere mortals.

Contracts. And Disney isn't looking at it from our perspective, either. If Hasbro's merchandise tanks--which many predicted due to the terrible distribution of things before TFA's merchandise hit, and the resurgence of 5POA figures (less articulation than a Lego minifig!)--then maybe the contract might be renegotiated when it's up for renewal years from now... but probably not until then (and it doesn't seem like it's tanking anytime soon). Meanwhile, Lego is still being insanely profitable for 'em.

Maybe if the Disney CMFs do gangbusters, beyond all expectations, they might look into something like that, even for the DC/Marvel stuff, too, since those lines aren't quite as successful and when it comes to specific costumes/characters, there's no way the sets will cover them in the limited non-movie sets each year (and SDCC exclusive minifigs is absolutely not the way to go). As much as I love the regular CMF line, I wish we could get more themed sets...and that they'd run concurrently, so the regular CMFs wouldn't keep getting bumped back! Disney probably could throw their weight around a little when it comes to companies like Hasbro, but I'm not sure there's much motivation to do so at the moment.

In the meantime, there are always the Custom & Purist minifig threads in the Minfig Customization Workshop section for SW & Superheroes :sweet:

Or maybe they are just saving all of the good figures for the new Death Star? I've enjoyed a lot of the Force Awakens and Rebels sets but I always love to see the original trilogy revisited.

I would imagine it would have a new Emperor and the latest storm trooper versions, but unless they really up the piece count or do something special like chrome Vader/C3PO I don't know that a lot of people will drop $400+ when they have the existing one. It was so well done I don't see much room for improvement beyond very exclusive minifigs.

Saw very brief glimpse of Rogue One sets. Remember that poster from a while back? Yeah, the minifigs are basically the same, except coloring is off on a few. I remember a (MUCH better/sleeker looking) First Order Snowspeeder-like vehicle, big blue white ship, an all black Imperial Shuttle like vehicle, new TIE Interceptor like vehicle and the AT-ST. There's alien figures too which make me super happy!

Will see them again soon and I'll take notes, so if you have any questions I can try answering them now or observe and answer once I see it again, I'll probably do a detailed video on my YouTube as well.

Edited by just2good

Saw very brief glimpse of Rogue One sets. Remember that poster from a while back? Yeah, the minifigs are basically the same, except coloring is off on a few. I remember a (MUCH better/sleeker looking) First Order Snowspeeder-like vehicle, big blue white ship, an all black Imperial Shuttle like vehicle, new TIE Interceptor like vehicle and the AT-ST. There's alien figures too which make me super happy!

Will see them again soon and I'll take notes, so if you have any questions I can try answering them now or observe and answer once I see it again, I'll probably do a detailed video on my YouTube as well.

Did you see stormtroopers?

Did you see stormtroopers?

No, but there were like 3+ different types of troopers, I don't want to spoil the film so I didn't know who was what.

Do you remember any minfigs other than the rebels? Rough estimates of minfig counts for each set?

Does the AT-ST look enough like the OT version to be displayed with the Ewok Village or any Hoth set?

Do you remember any minfigs other than the rebels? Rough estimates of minfig counts for each set?

There's an alien with new mould, main girl is only in the second biggest set, and the Death Troopers are only in the biggest set (I'm sure we'll get a Battlepack next year with them, however). :wacko:

While I like the first wave TFA sets more because I love the movie, I have to say these look better than that wave, but it's only five sets.

Does the AT-ST look enough like the OT version to be displayed with the Ewok Village or any Hoth set?

It does look different, but I think you can get away with it.

Edited by just2good

Death Troopers being locked down makes sense, same procedure as the FO Stormie for TFA, only available in limited numbers in large kits, then (likely) available in a battlepack come January.

Minifigures:

Are there rebel troopers in the classic OT styles? (Ala rebel naval trooper with the big white helmet, rebel commando like the ones on endor)

Are the aliens new (such as the ones apart of the rebel team that were recently announced) or are there classic OT aliens as well? (Duros, Bith, Ithorians, etc...)

Is there a figure of the white uniformed Imperial Officer?

Is Darth Vader or some other sith inquisitor in any of the sets?

Vehicles:

Is the AT-ST the same as the ones from the OT? Does it look good and better then previous Lego renditions?

Sets:

What is the mini figure count and distribution?

How many and what kind of figures do we get with the AT-ST?

Minifigures:

Are there rebel troopers in the classic OT styles? (Ala rebel naval trooper with the big white helmet, rebel commando like the ones on endor)

Are the aliens new (such as the ones apart of the rebel team that were recently announced) or are there classic OT aliens as well? (Duros, Bith, Ithorians, etc...)

Is there a figure of the white uniformed Imperial Officer?

Is Darth Vader or some other sith inquisitor in any of the sets?

Vehicles:

Is the AT-ST the same as the ones from the OT? Does it look good and better then previous Lego renditions?

Sets:

What is the mini figure count and distribution?

How many and what kind of figures do we get with the AT-ST?

I'll answer with what I remember now, with questions about if a character is OT or not, please provide pictures of the whichever you're referring to from the OT. :grin:

- I don't remember any of these aliens from OT

- No Vader or Sith but there's a guy in white, I think that's the Imperial Officer

- The AT-ST IIRC is a little different from the OT, looks better than previous ones

- Two small sets have three I think, two big ones at least five, middle I think four

- All I remember is AT-ST had the only black guy of the whole wave, I think Forest Whitaker's character? Which had a cool new military helmet mould!

Awesome this sounds so great! Thanks a bunch for answering my questions :classic:

One last quick question:

Do you remember which set the guy in white was in? If not no worries :wink:

These are the troopers I mean

2135_press04-001.jpg

Awesome this sounds so great! Thanks a bunch for answering my questions :classic:

One last quick question:

Do you remember which set the guy in white was in? If not no worries :wink:

These are the troopers I mean

No none of those troopers! There's like a Rebel soldier with Captain America/Hawkeye's Civil War face. White guy is in the biggest set. He's not even really that cool looking. I have to say, the minifigure lineup here for Rebels are pretty mediocre in terms of new faces and moulds, there's not much; however, the two aliens look awesome (I believe one has like a funny screaming face, the other is moulded), the new troopers have new moulds and look awesome though.

Oh! And the droid guy looks cool, new body/head mould that I think is one piece, and I remember new long droid legs! I might be wrong about the legs, they looked different from the regular battle droid ones though. Also the TIE Interceptor-like set has a Death Star Trooper.

Edited by just2good

Hm, I suspect if Vader has anything more than a glorified cameo, they'll have kept him out of this first wave of sets. Interesting about Jyn only being in one since they're pegging her as the lead, but I feel that more has to do with spreading the figs across the sets. Excited about her imperial droid friend though. Hopefully he's more fun and posable than the awful battle droids.

Hm, I suspect if Vader has anything more than a glorified cameo, they'll have kept him out of this first wave of sets. Interesting about Jyn only being in one since they're pegging her as the lead, but I feel that more has to do with spreading the figs across the sets. Excited about her imperial droid friend though. Hopefully he's more fun and posable than the awful battle droids.

I don't believe any characters appeared in more than one set, including the Troopers.

Well we can only hope for battle packs. Were the figures prototypes or were they finalized? And if so how do you feel they compared to the high quality of the Force Awakens figures?

I wonder if Jyn will really be as central a character as they have made her out to be or if the movie will focus on her but really be more of an ensemble piece.

Well we can only hope for battle packs. Were the figures prototypes or were they finalized? And if so how do you feel they compared to the high quality of the Force Awakens figures?

100% final, I'd say a little less since a LOT used old prints and moulds, but still there were some great minifigures.

Alright, I'm probably going to sleep now, I guess I'll answer more questions tomorrow. Peace!

Edited by just2good