Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

Agreed!

Only thing I worry about is this, and the Han Solo origin movie, are the last movies Lawrence Kasdan are going to write. Hopefully they will be able to continue with the same quality writing for Episodes VIII and IX.

After seeing TFA, all sets suddenly make sense, and most Importantly we know why Luke isn't in one of the sets. Now I wonder what will be in summer TFA sets. I guess FO Star Destroyer Finalizer makes sense( 2014 one will be retired by then). Maybe even Starkiller base interior. Can't wait till NY toy fair to see what sets will come out.

Edited by benderisgreat

I can understand your point of view

I am very happy to hear this, because it didn't seem like anyone here really did.

I expect eventually, arm printing will become the norm, however, maybe it won't

I hope that this will happen. It seems that it wouldn't be that difficult, or even that expensive in comparison, to make these details the new standard. Minifigures without these kinds of features feel outdated.

An exclusive minifig that has just as much *detail in the printing*, minus the printing on the arm. That doesn't make it inferior in any way.

I disagree. And if this is in fact as true as you believe, then how can the printing on the arm make it superior enough to draw consumers to the UCS set? It can't only work one way. If one is superior, the other is, by definition, inferior.

Not forgetting, Lego is again, first and foremost, a child's toy. They use their imagination clearly a lot more than us fussy adults do. Therefore, TLG see the cheaper sets as intended for children and so see no need to give arm printing on them.

It is definitely true that LEGO is primarily intended for children. I remember when I was a child in the 80's, I would notice small things in the design of the minifigures, and I was able to appreciate the more advanced minifigures. When newer sets came out, I would notice how their techniques seemed to improve year after year, and as an adult I am excited by the fact that they have come as far as they have. But they seem to be holding themselves back, deliberately. I understand the marketing points that have been raised, but I find them feeble in comparison to the overall concept of progress, and making better and better products with each iteration.

Don't want the Slave 1 but want an arm printed minifig? Buy Slave 1. Or buy it form someone that has bought Slave 1. TLG will get the money for it regardless. Where there is demand, they will supply. They know you could Bricklink it. But where has that Bricklinked one come from?

You guessed it, a Slave 1 (Or some lucky bugger who ransacked Bricks and Pieces of the supply :tongue: ). They get their Slave 1 sale regardless.

Yes, if I want it I can buy it. I can also see this trend and comment on it, in hopes that others might agree, and in hopes that LEGO might see fit to make these kinds of details regularly.

So you're saying that anything that is not the very best of their capabilities is not good? Its more expensive for them to make every single minifigure to the same high standards as CMF's and UCS set minifigs. If they did do that, the prices would go up and people would complain, especially the ones who don't care about arm printing. The reason CMF's are so detailed are because that is the whole focus of the line- to give you minifigures that are not just your less detailed side characters that come in every set.

I am saying that anything that is not the very best of their capabilities is not as good. That's an obvious point, and there's a definite distinction there. How much more expensive is it for them to make minifigures to these standards? I doubt it is enough to bring a serious increase in price.

Another way to look at it, and how you should be viewing it, is the minifigures 'without' the arm printing are the normal variants, not a substandard variant now because TLG decided to put some extra work with a select amount of minifigures. How many minifigs do you see that have printed arms? Not that many. That's why they are special.

It has nothing to do with the cost of only "printing on a small plastic minifigure" (although there is some extra cost as it's an extra step in the process), but more to make these minifigs more unique and special, and to get you to buy their UCS sets (like Slave I).

This is something you see in all collectibles. It's not new for TLG, and shouldn't be something that is viewed as TLG lessening their QC, it's something they are doing intentionally.

My argument is that they shouldn't be special. I feel it is an unnecessary restriction. There is definitely a cost associated with the extra printing, but I strongly doubt it would be that much of an increase.

I understand the desire to include something unique, but I feel that there are likely other ways that they can do this that don't involve making their future sets less desirable.

I am seeing it as LEGO intentionally lessening the quality of smaller sets, as that is essentially what they are doing.

This is a discussion for another time and place. It has definitely outlasted its purpose here, so I will continue this elsewhere. I'm just surprised that every response I've gotten has been negative. I would have thought that there would be more people who feel the same as I do about this.

Edited by x105Black

*snip*

I can only speak for myself here but I'm guessing that all lego fans, whether kids or adults wood definitely love to see the highest quality sets and minifigures that TLG are capable of producing in every set, whether UCS, micro fighter and everything in between.

I think the reason you've had so much pushback on this point from fellow AFOLs is most of us realise that (as much as we wish it wasn't the case) that this is simply unrealistic.

I don't want to labour the point but to expect TLG to offer the exact same Boba Fett minifigure (for example) in the £170+ UCS slave 1 as a potential future Slave 1 micro fighter set for £8.99 just makes no sense. TLG understand that amongst AFOLs there is a massive group who are mostly, or only interested in the minifigures, so much so that they are willing to buy sets like 75060 and even 75095 just to get one or two exclusive figs, they would be shooting themselves in the foot financially to offer the same fig in a $20 set.

The bottom line is that it's just business, you wouldn't expect the bottom of the range new car to have all the accessories as the top of the range at no extra cost, it doesn't lessen the value of the cheaper car, but by comparison may make you want to upgrade, if you want the best you have to pay for it, the same as it ever was.

Edited by Lobot
: Please don't quote entire posts, thanks :-)

Having seen the movie, i finally can look into this thread again :-)

I think they made a really strong wave of Force Awakens sets. They pretty much covered it all. I'm not even sure what they can make next.

Maybe a few battlepacks with figs like Nien Numb or some reistance pilots? Maybe some Jakku-based sets?

Good job Lego!

I think they made a really strong wave of Force Awakens sets. They pretty much covered it all. I'm not even sure what they can make next.

Maybe a few battlepacks with figs like Nien Numb or some reistance pilots? Maybe some Jakku-based sets?

Good job Lego!

They haven't done the new-look Star Destroyer yet. That'd be the centrepiece of the movie line, given the size...

They haven't done the new-look Star Destroyer yet. That'd be the centrepiece of the movie line, given the size...

Or the old one in the sands of Jakku :-)

Or the old one in the sands of Jakku :-)

I... I don't think that counts as a spoiler. It's been in nearly every trailer, most posters, the tie-in game, and at least one book. :wink:

Good point though. That could be a great playset... But it'd have to be huge, or for midi-and micro-scale action only.

Edited by Pcm979

Good job Lego!

*SPOILERS* (not sure how to do the hidden spoiler thing)

I can see a set based around Jakku and Unkar's scrap yard, including his booth, some other stalls with the cool entrance gateway as the focal point, including Unkar, Space pig, dude with the yellow mech arms etc.

Similar to 75052 Mos Eisley Cantina.

*SPOILERS* (not sure how to do the hidden spoiler thing)

I can see a set based around Jakku and Unkar's scrap yard, including his booth, some other stalls with the cool entrance gateway as the focal point, including Unkar, Space pig, dude with the yellow mech arms etc.

Similar to 75052 Mos Eisley Cantina.[/sPIOILER]

Could be a cool and semi expansive location set. A set of that general location could cover Just about all the Jakku action.

A blue X-Wing and the First Order Star Destroyer are the only notable ships/vehicles that haven't been made yet. Other than that all I can think of are location-based sets like the Resistance Base, Starkiller Base, Unkar's scrap yard and expansions to Maz's castle. There's not too many characters I can think of left to cover either:

Luke and Snoke are the two big ones still missing but they're both going to show up in Episode 8 and likely 9 anyway.

Lor San Tekka, Unkar Plutt and Teedo were the only Jakku residents I remember standing out. Anyone else was pretty obscure.

Sidon Ithano, Quiggold, Bazine, Fat Bossk and the Resistance informant seemed to be the most notable of Maz's patrons.

Nien Nunb, Jessika Pava and Asty are the only currently named X-Wing characters left to be made. The only other notable Resistance character I remember was the asian admiral.

Other than that just alternate versions of existing characters like the Elite TIE Fighter Pilot, Rey and Poe in their Resistance outfits, Han in his winter jacket and Leia in her farewell dress (they already have a suitable hairpiece thanks to the CMF Spider Lady from series 14)

A way to put the blue X-wing in a set would be to have a 'village attack' with Poe Dameron in jacket, Flametrooper, Finn with dirty armour and a bloody handprint on his helmet. Instead of the black/orange X-wing it would be blue, instead of resistance ladder and speeder thing it could be some small village structures like a well and some barrels. Maybe Lor San Tekka instead of the flametrooper?

Edited by WarSquirrel

I get the feeling there will be an extended edition release and we may get some sets out of that. Perhaps an AT-AT as it walks across the plains. No real snow battle though. Snowtroopers really under utilised too.

Definately see a Jakku set and perhaps the ship that han uses to get the MF back with and some Guavian minifigs too.

Well, in that case...

I need the new c3po and storm trooper polybag. Retails for 3.99-5.99? I'll take one each and pay $20 shipped to me. Profit to someone who can't make more money, and I get two new figures. The previously mentioned $15 overpriced set now is "only" $10 overpriced... Find two more people on the board and the you've made up the mark up in one trip to tru.

The amazing dark knight ; what you are saying is true and I as well couldn't afford $100+ sets as a kid. And I'm glad. Isn't it good and motivational for kids to learn to work hard for things they really want?

Anyways back on topic...

The problem is kids have everything handed to them now, and then people wonder why (at least in my city) a lot of young kids are lazy workers....

No real snow battle though. Snowtroopers really under utilised too.

there's a picture in the TFA visual dictionary that shows a couple of snowtroopers searching the Falcon, presumably after its crashed on star killer base. Maybe the scene will show up on the blu ray. Maybe this is when we would have seen the FO snowspeeder in action too - hence the set.

A blue X-Wing and the First Order Star Destroyer are the only notable ships/vehicles that haven't been made yet. Other than that all I can think of are location-based sets like the Resistance Base, Starkiller Base, Unkar's scrap yard and expansions to Maz's castle. There's not too many characters I can think of left to cover either:

You are forgetting some:

Han & Chewies big freighter and The Guavians

Starkiller Base

Is there any way TLG can pull this off without it being a huge disappointment? Doubtful it could get the Death Star treatment. For now, I think the towers that come with the battlepack (75132) we're seeing might be a good start.

Any way you cut it, it'll have to be fairly an abstract kit - or typical dull interior.

Edited by darththeling

*Snip*

If you're going to quote a spoiler tag try and keep it in a spoiler tag. Same with even slight descriptions of things in the film people haven't seen yet.

Edited by Robianco

I've just been on S@H and seen the images of the images of the new sets still show the minifigs stood on the grey dishes as they were in the original leaked photos. That's a little bit sloppy and could also confuse some people into expecting them to be included with the sets.

I think it will be incredibly difficult to post to this forum over this subject now without including something that may be construed as a "spoiler". I would suggest that people consider doing what I did before seeing the film yesterday and imposing a digital blackout on themselves.

Having seen the film now I think TLG did a great job with what was concept art for the sets.

Having seen TFA, my spoiler free thoughts are that it's totally understandable why Lego chose to go with the Poe Dameron Black Leader X wing over the blue/white ones, that I really look forward to getting the Reststance Troop Transport, and that the various wing mods on Kylo's shuttle are quite accurate, perhaps they should be set at a slightly narrower angle than what I've seen on the forum