Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

Just seen the price £400! I mean I was expecting £350 and thought I could except that but this is just silly now. I was happy with Assault on Hoth but this just takes the biscuit. Big Ben costs £170, a whopping £230 less and has more pieces! I'm just gonna let that sink in ;(

You can't really compare the two sets though. Big Ben also has no mini figs which we know drives prices up in sets, Big Ben is also not a licensed set which again adds to the cost, and the good majority of those pieces in the Big Ben set are very tiny pieces. The Death Star has a lot of large plates and weighs a lot more than Big Ben.

You can't just say set A. has 150 more pieces and set B. and cost half the price. There is a lot more involved in it than that. Something else to think about Tower Bridge has more pieces than the original Death Star and was just about half the price of it but I never really saw people saying the old Death Star was overpriced.

If you are only looking at price and number of parts you can do that all day. The Sydney Opera house only has about 400 pieces more than the Parisian Restaurant but cost $160 more. The UCS Tie Fighter is 1685 pieces compared to the Pet Shop which has 2032 pieces yet it cost $50 more.

[snip]

For a flagship UCS set, including an obscure unclassified officer seen for roughly the same amount of time as the ESB ice cream guy is rather odd.

I love that they included him and the other naval officer.

But the price of this set is just... disappointing.

Edited by Brickdoctor
Please don't quote images.

Yep, BL the 2 droids... those officers would be nice though.

This is not an indication of any future re-release or set updates.

READ IT AND WEEP :laugh:

This came with press release:

The LEGO® Star Wars™ Death Star™ was a huge hit with fans when it launched in 2008 and we are excited to announce that we have made some awesome updates and improvements to this huge model! Our designers added over 200 bricks and elements as well as 3 new minifigures. This 2016 version offers a great building experience to both those fans who have the original set, and those who may be new to the LEGO® Star Wars™ universe. This is not an indication of any future re-release or set updates.

I was going to insert this tag line, it's like saying Hey: "You have the original set, re buy it again!!!" then again who are to know better than Lego, I am secretly saving my money to get this set though.

This is how lazy they have become; you can see the DUST on the original press release, which should say enough about this UCS:

28720276313_6b67ff89fa_b.jpg

I am just happy I am finally getting the ultimate Grand Moff Tarkin mini figure with dual faces.

Edited by eldiano

C3-PO doesn't even have side prints? Jesus christ...

I know.

I find the lack of minifigure printing disturbing.

The only thing I'm super interested in is that Death Star Droid.

It's also cool that it comes with 2 Han hair pieces.

"The LEGO Death Star is BACK!"

By saying it's back, it seems they are making sure to market it as an update rather than a completely new set, so that's good.

This came with press release:

The LEGO® Star Wars™ Death Star™ was a huge hit with fans when it launched in 2008 and we are excited to announce that we have made some awesome updates and improvements to this huge model! Our designers added over 200 bricks and elements as well as 3 new minifigures. This 2016 version offers a great building experience to both those fans who have the original set, and those who may be new to the LEGO® Star Wars™ universe. This is not an indication of any future re-release or set updates.

More evidence of the same.

https://s-media-cach...1a4bb66270e.jpg

http://www.hothbrick...016-600x300.jpg

It won't let me link for some reason, but going by the droid's eyes/photoreceptors, it looks most like U-3PO, right?

These are a match. Eyes are the same color.

For a flagship UCS set, including an obscure unclassified officer seen for roughly the same amount of time as the ESB ice cream guy is rather odd.

That hair color is all wrong.

I am just happy I am finally getting the ultimate Grand Moff Tarkin mini figure with dual faces.

It is nice to finally see an accurate Tarkin.

Edited by x105Black

The face on that imperial officer fellow is Admiral Motti, no? The sideburns and the sneer? Sorry not an expert on insignia and uniform colours etc...

Given the number of unopened sets on ebay at what is essentially the same price as the "updated" set, I'd bet most people who were going to buy this death star either have it. Also, the old one was on sale for a long time, but how long was it actually produced for? Was Lego making and restocking it regularly, or did it make a lot of them that were hard to shift, and this new one is just riding the increased recent interest in Star Wars due to the now annual movies?

It has some cool figures, but they're not the big draw for me, I like ships, vehicles and good dioramas. This set has none of those and the price here in the UK is equivalent to a UCS tie, a UCS slave 1, and a Vaders Tie vs A-wing. I'd bet if you gave kids the option of those or a blocky sphere with compromised representations of various scenes, they'd go with the Ships.

Okay, just my two cents ...

I won't spend a lot of money on Lego the next time ... I already own a Death Star 10188 (about two years old).

And I just do not like the Rogue One sets which were anounced yesterday (U-Wing and tank). Not because of the details or stuff like that - no, I just build Lego sets because of their outer apperance (like/dislike).

Maybe the other sets announced are better.

Edit (after a quick search on the internet): Perhaps the AT-ST and the TIE, but definitly not the shuttle

Edited by the_colonel

The minifigures is pretty awesome, espiecallly Tarkin, the Death Star Troopers, Han Solo and Leia!

I wonder where's the extra 200 pieces went through. Is the pieces used to improving the structure of the middle lift section to been more sturdier?

Sad that we have reached the 'new hair' era of lego

I find that very odd. They always used the classic male hairpiece for the male protagonists (Luke VI, Obi Wan I & IV, Han, Lando). Though the special hairpieces do look nice there were plenty possibilities in between "totally wrong & outdated" & "perfect". I would rather see TLG reuse existing newer hairpieces on other figs - like the Dr. Who hairpiece on Tarkin. They could have done that with plenty molds for Obi Wana & Luke VI. Hopefully there's a new Obi Wan in the Landspeeder set...

Plus: I get how you may prefer this Tarkin fig. Maybe grey feels more accurate. But the colours are not correct, he never wore grey.

I find that very odd. They always used the classic male hairpiece for the male protagonists (Luke VI, Obi Wan I & IV, Han, Lando). Though the special hairpieces do look nice there were plenty possibilities in between "totally wrong & outdated" & "perfect". I would rather see TLG reuse existing newer hairpieces on other figs - like the Dr. Who hairpiece on Tarkin. They could have done that with plenty molds for Obi Wana & Luke VI. Hopefully there's a new Obi Wan in the Landspeeder set...

Plus: I get how you may prefer this Tarkin fig. Maybe grey feels more accurate. But the colours are not correct, he never wore grey.

i was more referring to this (sadly i am somtimes a victim of this)

I just don't understand why they couldn't just treat people with some nice arm printing and extra leg printing, maybe some dual molded legs.

Even if just on the arms of the Imperial Gunners so they'd have similar arms to the pilot from the UCS TIE Fighter. It would just make the figures that much better

plus it would make those arm pieces a little more available. I can only hope they're going to start doing more arm printing in 2017.

I think the hairpieces that are created can be considered a little differently to the Malibu Stacy hat sketch. The hairpieces are often reused as with Tarkin/Dr Who/Venkman and I'm assuming various others as time goes on. Finn's hair is now used on Falcon and may be used on future Lando figures... Superman's hair is on Poe Dameron and the German National Team etc...

This is just a development of a hairpiece that fits very well for Han on his figures but may well be used for other themes in the future rather than just a single point of difference to sell a set.

There's dust all over the studio model... wow. Um, LEGO, this is reflecting rather badly on you. But I don't really care, I can't afford it and the Rogue One sets all look better. :laugh:

Why is a small amount of dust on a massive set a big deal? You can't notice it unless you look at the massive pictures.

You can't keep dust off a Lego set of that size!

When I asked about double points coming up and coinciding with the release of the new Death Star in my local store, I was told that there would be a deal for 75093 Final Duel to be half price when bought with the Death Star.

Seems like an odd deal to me, since the final duel is shown within the set.

I think the hairpieces that are created can be considered a little differently to the Malibu Stacy hat sketch. The hairpieces are often reused as with Tarkin/Dr Who/Venkman and I'm assuming various others as time goes on. Finn's hair is now used on Falcon and may be used on future Lando figures... Superman's hair is on Poe Dameron and the German National Team etc...

This is just a development of a hairpiece that fits very well for Han on his figures but may well be used for other themes in the future rather than just a single point of difference to sell a set.

I wasn't talking about hats literally. Yeah it's cool but it's kind of laughable that these things are selling points.

When I asked about double points coming up and coinciding with the release of the new Death Star in my local store, I was told that there would be a deal for 75093 Final Duel to be half price when bought with the Death Star.

Seems like an odd deal to me, since the final duel is shown within the set.

All of the minifigs are also in 75159

The photo embargo was till August 30th right?

Are this photos that been on Reddit for awhile ok to post now?

[snip]

(If it didn't end I'll remove it)

Edited by Brickdoctor
Removed leaked images.