Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

That isn't correct. The 7965/75105 is in true minifig scale.

I recreated shots from the movies with it and fits perfectly:

The problem is the under part. If it were a little more higher (and detailed), it would be perfect.

Just because it looks like it fits doesn't mean it's actually minifigure-scale. A true minifigure-scale falcon would be 100 studs, or 80 cm, in length. This makes the UCS Falcon just 4 cm too long, and the usual system-scale Falcon 33 cm (or 41 studs) too short.

Sorry if this has been asked already but will the Death Star be available early for VIP members?

Yes, that and the Holiday Train will be VIP earl you-access exclusives mid-September, and public releases come October 1.

I don't think many Bothans would have risked their lives to get the plans for this second Death Star^^ The Rebellion could have just used the instructions of the first...

The 2nd Death-star had the exhaust port removed.Plus the information was for where the Death-star was and that the emperor was on it, not how to destroy it.

Edited by Traykar the swift

They're not. For a start the cockpit comfortably fits 4 people in the Falcon (4 chairs but can accommodate more easily) whereas 7965/75105 just about fits 2. The cockpit in 7965/75105 is also slightly oversized and out of scale from the rest of the set compared to the studio model.

The Falcon is also more than twice the length of an X-Wing and the 9493 is pretty much minifig scale... 7965/75015 is certainly not over twice the length of that. While it might look good photographed with minifigures it's not minifig scale.

Apologies by the way. I've typed this in response forgetting what thread it was and realised the whole conversation is off topic.

Edited by Robianco

Couldn't one of the reasons the Death Star costs more than the Disney Castle be that it has so many actual bricks? It feels like the castle has more small pieces, that could be easier to produce, while the Death Star has a lot of bricks, which are medium-sized pieces and require more plastic to make.

I'm not sure if brick size makes a huge difference in price, but it feels like it should.

The same argument could be made for the Ghostbusters HQ, a truck ton of big bricks and yet the value is much better than the Death Star.

Also, I think it should be mentioned that this model has had no actual design phase.

Nope, none. Good way to satisfy your perfomance outcome for the year.

Actually, it is correct. Those sets are system scale. 10179 is in true minifigure scale because it's in perfect proportion to a minifigure. Say the Han Solo minifig is a scaled down representation of Han Solo himself. The UCS falcon is scaled to match that. The UCS Slave I is also in perfect minifigure scale.

Haha so many pages of crying.

AFOLS account for a TINY amount of lego sales. Almost every set Lego has EVER made INCLUDING UCS has been aimed at kids and teenagers.

Lego have rereleased and slightly updated the DS. They will sell 98% of these to 12 year olds. Get over it and be happy with what it is.

Agreed.

Like any parent is going to spend 500 bucks on a Lego set. They are just gonna buy them a smartphone or something.

So who do you think is going to be buying this set? Or a $120 Ninjago set? Visit the Lego store in Bethesda, MD sometime. I've seen 10 year old kids have their parents buy them an entire Ninjago wave at once. Or a bunch of Minecraft sets. Or a $400 Death Star. In the middle of, like, March. So yes, kids do have that kind of buying power. Of course, I'm sure that's a very small portion of kids who buy Lego, but still, the number of... shall we say rich?... kids buying lego is probably more than the number of AFOLs.

Visit the Lego store in Bethesda, MD sometime.

Hold up there's a lego store in bethesda now? Is it bigger then the one at Tyson's Corner?

Is it bad that I kinda like this second version of the Death Star? :look: I always loved the original, but was never able to get the funds together to buy it before it was discontinued, so seeing that the new one is the same just with updated figs is a big relief to me. There was nothing wrong with the original and it sold for many years, so why fix what aint broke?

I think most of the disappointment comes from people expecting something new and not getting it. Unlike the Hoth set (which I can understand the disappointment about), this was never meant to be a new set, just a small change to an existing set, and this is not the first time TLG has updated a set with long shelf life by replacing obsolete parts in it. so I don't see why this is worth making such a fuss about. If you already have the original one, just be glad that you don't have to spend $400 on this one.

I don't think many Bothans would have risked their lives to get the plans for this second Death Star^^ The Rebellion could have just used the instructions of the first...

Well played, sir. :laugh:

The 2nd Death-star had the exhaust port removed.Plus the information was for where the Death-star was and that the emperor was on it, not how to destroy it.

Nerdiness - Ruining good jokes since the conception of the internet.

(No offense, Traykar, just trying to keep some humor in this overly negative thread. :wink: )

A little late, but I expected this to happen. Lego has been getting lazier and lazier and when we first heard about this set the first thing I thought of was last year's Toy Shop clone. Look Lego, 200 extra pieces does not equate to a $100 price increase, and there's no way to justify it. :thumbdown:

The improvements don't amount to much anyways. A pass for me.

BrickJagger's pessimistic views of pessimism have been enclosed in the following spoiler:

In all honesty, I think we're in for another near-disaster for Lego, except inverted from the early 2000's. Lego has been getting so lazy in terms of set design, parts quality, pricing, etc. mostly because of how profitable they've become, and it's going to bite them sooner rather than later. They'll recover, but I don't have high expectation for next year.

A little late, but I expected this to happen. Lego has been getting lazier and lazier and when we first heard about this set the first thing I thought of was last year's Toy Shop clone. Look Lego, 200 extra pieces does not equate to a $100 price increase, and there's no way to justify it. :thumbdown:

BrickJagger's pessimistic views of pessimism have been enclosed in the following spoiler:

In all honesty, I think we're in for another near-disaster for Lego, except inverted from the early 2000's. Lego has been getting so lazy in terms of set design, parts quality, pricing, etc. mostly because of how profitable they've become, and it's going to bite them sooner rather than later. They'll recover, but I don't have high expectation for next year.

Of course there is a way to justify it; 200 more parts, a couple of new minifigures and INFLATION. (When most products increased in price every year since 2008, the Death Star didn't)

2016 may not be a good year for the Star Wars-theme, but LEGO do produce other stuff. I think people are happy with the new Disney Castle, the architecture-wave and the technic-wave. And probably other things to.

I think the whole "Lego is getting lazy" argument is something of a misconception. They are simply Tring to update their sets and repackage them to new collectors.

I imagine there are tons of collectors out there who missed out on the first death star for whatever reasons... And this their chance to get it.

I think its fair to say that not everyone on this thread started collecting Lego Star Wars sets straight from 1999... We've all missed out sets that we regret not buying over the years and we've waited for Lego to remake the set in question se we can get it. And it's the same principle here really. People have missed out on the DS and Hoth sets and this is there opportunity to get them again.

Is it bad that I kinda like this second version of the Death Star? :look: I always loved the original, but was never able to get the funds together to buy it before it was discontinued, so seeing that the new one is the same just with updated figs is a big relief to me. There was nothing wrong with the original and it sold for many years, so why fix what aint broke?

I think most of the disappointment comes from people expecting something new and not getting it. Unlike the Hoth set (which I can understand the disappointment about), this was never meant to be a new set, just a small change to an existing set, and this is not the first time TLG has updated a set with long shelf life by replacing obsolete parts in it. so I don't see why this is worth making such a fuss about. If you already have the original one, just be glad that you don't have to spend $400 on this one.

Well played, sir. :laugh:

Nerdiness - Ruining good jokes since the conception of the internet.

(No offense, Traykar, just trying to keep some humor in this overly negative thread. :wink: )

Meh, I can live with it.

Edited by Traykar the swift

As a new collector I like that they have been updating old sets but the Death Star is lazy for a USC that been much teased by LEGO. But I do think LEGO has stepped up in quality for the past few years and they haven't been lazy with that.

As a new collector I like that they have been updating old sets but the Death Star is lazy for a USC that been much teased by LEGO. But I do think LEGO has stepped up in quality for the past few years and they haven't been lazy with that.

Of course there is a way to justify it; 200 more parts, a couple of new minifigures and INFLATION. (When most products increased in price every year since 2008, the Death Star didn't)

2016 may not be a good year for the Star Wars-theme, but LEGO do produce other stuff. I think people are happy with the new Disney Castle, the architecture-wave and the technic-wave. And probably other things to.

Inflation doesn't match the price increase though. $399 in 2008 dollars is now $446

This thread has just been going in circles since the pictures leaked.

"I don't like it, it's too much like the old one"

"It's got better minifigures though"

"That doesn't justify the price increase"

"Inflation + 200 pieces"

"Just an excuse to increase the price. If they're going to do a rerelease why not just do 10179"

"But 10188 sold well, this rerelease is for people who didn't get it"

"They could've tried to make it different. I don't like it, it's too much like the old one."

Edited by Brikkyy13

Has anyone ever thought that the reason this wasn't as good, is because there are probably 100+ maybe more new sets each year. Maybe they didn't have enough time to design a whole new UCS, so updated an old one. Plus, look at Big Ben. Disney Castle, Marvel, Rogue One, Dimensions, so many good sets and themes this year. They've got a lot on their hands. If you want better sets, they would have to make less sets and themes each year.

This thread has just been going in circles since the pictures leaked.

"I don't like it, it's too much like the old one"

"It's got better minifigures though"

"That doesn't justify the price increase"

"Inflation + 200 pieces"

"Just an excuse to increase the price. If they're going to do a rerelease why not just do 10179"

"But 10188 sold well, this rerelease is for people who didn't get it"

"They couldv'e tried to make it different. I dont like it, it's too much like the old one."

Yup, pretty much.

The Death Star actually did increase in price. It used to be $350 and was raised to $400 without any changes if I recall correctly.

Lego is the most successful toy brand of all time, they're only competing with themselves at this point. Raising the price by a hundred bucks might line their pockets but it make make afols less likely to buy the set. The old one has only been gone for a year and pretty much everyone that wanted one has one at this point, so why would they want it again for a hundred bucks more?

Why not just keep the original on the shelves longer? Not profitable enough? Inflation doesn't mean a thing to me since it probably only cost $50 to produce the set in the first place. Adding 200 extra parts barely ups the production cost for them, but raises the price considerably. More money for them, I guess.

I'm a fan of Star Wars but it has been pretty terrible this year for sure, hopefully it gets better soon.

It used to be $350 and was raised to $400 without any changes if I recall correctly.

No, it was $400 from the get-go according to this thread. Edited by Gremer