Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

So I just saw the "leaked Death Star" photos on FBTB. Any bets it's a fake or could it be real? I didn't get the first one so I wouldn't mind a rehash but it does seem very lazy...

It's real, dunno how many times we have to go over this. I think a lot of you are just in denial that LEGO actually did something this horrible. :tongue:

I'm just miffed that they've wasted 2 UCS slots this year on things that shouldn't have been done/sub par sets. Ds should have just been released as an additional, not as a new one as it isn't new at all.

AoH was just soo... Meh... after this DS, they literally have NO excuse not to bring out another UCS falcon for the standalone Han solo film...

It's real, dunno how many times we have to go over this. I think a lot of you are just in denial that LEGO actually did something this horrible. :tongue:

Sorry didn't see the previous posts. But yeah it is still very strange that it is %90 the same set.

I'm just miffed that they've wasted 2 UCS slots this year on things that shouldn't have been done/sub par sets. Ds should have just been released as an additional, not as a new one as it isn't new at all.

AoH was just soo... Meh... after this DS, they literally have NO excuse not to bring out another UCS falcon for the standalone Han solo film...

Makes you wonder if they do a new release of the UCS Falcon that people will complain about it being more than $500 but a carbon-copy of the old set or if they make it a tad smaller and add an interior, but costs $500. People can never be happy, can they?

The only things that interest me there are the imperial officers - I'll definitely be getting a Tarkin, and that black-uniformed one too. I'm curious about that one in the council chamber, though. His tunic is the color of an imperial crewman, but there's a little dark patch that might be a rank badge. It looks like he has sideburns too - that would lead me to believe it's Bast or Tagge, but there's a hat too, and none of the officers wore hats in the council scene (although Bast is seen in one later).

Oh, and thank you Brickdoctor for clearing that up. I'm just glad the thread is back open. :sweet:

I would like to point out that five of the figures appeared in the Final Duel in the exact same costumes.

At least Tarkin has a grey uniform now :wink:

This set is extremely, extremely lazy on the designers part. Anything would've been cooler then this. I don't think I was even in high school when the original set came out so the fact that Lego is releasing this set now is very disappointing.

Edited by Forresto

On the plus side there are 4 stormtroopers, all with helmets (including the heroes in disguise).

I never got the old one (I struggle to justify spending that much money on 1 set), definitely won't get this one either, especially since the price will be at least $100 more for the same set. BL the droids.

Is this the worst year for Star Wars UCS's or what?

Let's hope next May the 4th UCS is incredible enough to compensate for two wasted slots.

I think the only real issue with this rerelease is that the original version has only been out of print for a year. If they did a re-release of the UCS MF the only people that would be complaining would be the scalpers, given the long period it's been unavailable. Frankly I'm kind of grateful the set hasn't changed much as I don't have to negotiate with my wife to try and get the new version.

Given I already have a lot of updated minifigs from other sets I'm not going to get this identikit version, but hopefully at some stage in the future they'll release a genuinely new version incorporating some of the Rogue One scenes from the upcoming film.

This has been an awful year for Lego Star Wars. Thank God the Rogue One sets are good.

Indeed, although it seems to be hit or miss with the community.

I really like those sets.

This has been an awful year for Lego Star Wars. Thank God the Rogue One sets are good.

It's been pretty tough being an OT collector lately. The lame capsule/hoth/bespin trifecta last winter. The squashing of any rumors of a Cloud CIty set in the near future. 2 lame premium sets. This winter coming up isn't looking a ton better according to the 2017 thread. What's there to look forward to?

Edited by jedge

The other Imperial (not Tarkin) in the new DS conference room looks like the Imperial Officer from the 2014 #75055 ISD. Maybe with the light grey Imperial crew body and new black hat, but definately looks like his head and sideburns.

Hey guys,

Is it true that the new DS is just like a "relaunch" of 10188? If it is - why people show their disapaointnment only now? I has been told about a week ago that it's gonna be the same model with updated minigures and minor changes.

And if it is true, i think that it's nice for many people who didn't buy the 10188. If LEGO will advertise this model as "rerelease of the successful 10188" it would be better, otherwise I don't know how they can present it to us.

Again after the Winter Village Toy Shop, this set is exactly what I was expecting. More detailed minifigures, a couple new parts and building techniques - but the majority of the set being identical to before.

Shame Luke's hairpiece is still tan and the Stormtroopers are still using the black hips. Was hoping both of those would've been updated. Tarkin looks much better than the Rebels version though and I absolutely love the new classic Leia minifigure! Also nice to see the Death Star Troopers are the uniformed versions and not the crewman ones from the Star Destroyer set.

Han's new hairpiece looks even better in the new pic too. Fantastic texture detail!

It doesn't even use any updated building techniques... wow that's terrible. The new hair pieces are perfect but those are the only new things in this set. Just wow.

:laugh:

Denial is just the first stage

Denial

Is this a joke?

Anger

The same set, the exact same set, Carl! I wanna see a designer video and to look at their eyes when they say:"we used some brand-new techniques and a new design, we are great"

Hate them...

Bargaining

Let's hope next May the 4th UCS is incredible enough to compensate for two wasted slots.

Depression

Although, I'm sad because, for me, it's a wasted UCS slot.

Acceptance

Okay. Rehash of the old Death Star. Hype over.

Rogue one time!!

Edited by Robert8

I don't think you can call it a "lazy re-hash." As many people have pointed out, 10188 was extremely popular, as evident by being widely available for 8 years. It's logical that this update is virtually identical to the original.

I have 10188 and think it's a great set, but how is re-releasing it less than a year after the old set was retired with only minor changes and a significant price increase not lazy?

If the goal was to keep selling the old set but update the minifigs and a few pieces that are no longer commonly produced, why not just do that and keep the same set number?

The approach they've taken just seems a bit cynical to me and it's yet another disappointment after Hoth.

*snip*

Haha after looking at the photos, there's nothing more to be said. Same set, different set number. We got 2-3 pages of all of us doging on Lego for doing such a crappy job. It's going to lead no where.

For me, I'd rather complain at why the U-Wing seems so bulky when in the movie it's sleek as hell!

I have 10188 and think it's a great set, but how is re-releasing it less than a year after the old set was retired with only minor changes and a significant price increase not lazy?

I really hate how "lazy" is thrown around all the time. :hmpf_bad:

If the job was to design a new DS, and they slapped new paint on the minifigure and changed a few pieces that would be lazy.

If the job was to change out pieces that were no longer in production, and at the same time give the minifigs a paint job then it would not be lazy.

If the goal was to keep selling the old set but update the minifigs and a few pieces that are no longer commonly produced, why not just do that and keep the same set number?

Because it would not be the same set - it would probably be a complete PITA in all their systems, with no real benefit.

The approach they've taken just seems a bit cynical to me and it's yet another disappointment after Hoth.

It is indeed disappointing that there are no new worthwhile SW UCS sets this year. :sceptic:

In terms of AFOL-rage it would be better if the word had slipped that the DS would only be getting updated minifigs early on, then we would just be bitching about why it used one of the UCS slots for this year.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Wasn't going to buy it anyway, but looks like I'll be eating my 7965 if this is true.

I really hate how "lazy" is thrown around all the time. :hmpf_bad:

If the job was to design a new DS, and they slapped new paint on the minifigure and changed a few pieces that would be lazy.

If the job was to change out pieces that were no longer in production, and at the same time give the minifigs a paint job then it would not be

Of course the designers are limited by the brief they are given

But someone at TLG made the decision to use a valuable UCS slot to rehash a set that's been *retired less than a year* - i'm sorry, but to me that's lazy. YMMV

There are so many better ways that UCS slot could have been used.

On the plus side there are 4 stormtroopers, all with helmets (including the heroes in disguise).

I would say that there are 4 "normal" Stormtroopers even 5. And two as Luke and Han. And that black uniform officer :wub: