Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

If you like bootleg Lego, that's your business. I don't like to support companies that steal Lego designs and make them in cheap, poor quality sets. Yes Lego might have become too greedy recently, but they are still the best, and I will support them.

You make way too much assumptions. Who's talking bootleg? There is more in the world then lego (or any copy of that) you know.......

Edited by firefox

Yeah, wow, there's a whole lot of nothing in there. They didn't even bother to sticker the control panels! Seems like a lot of wasted space. Especially if there isn't any sort of interior in the rear end of the ship... I see a needless gear mechanism for folding back those missile pod wing thingies, but this thing is so basic that it can't all be structure in there.

You make way too much assumptions. Who's talking bootleg? There is more in the world then lego (or any copy of that) you know.......

Lego is the Only company in the world with the rights to make Minifigs in their style. any company from any country that copies or replicates that design is doing so without Lego permissions. so if you tell me I can get a figure that's not from Lego for far cheaper than it is either not compatible with other minifigures, or is a bootleg illegal copy.

*EDIT* seeing that this started over a minifigure, the mention of other action figures as a replacement to a minifigure makes little sense (as little as spending 100+ for a set for just 1 figure) so the inclination that it's a non-Lego minifig copy is understandable.

as to the set it's self the scale is nice but the details and value just don't add up. I'd consider buying the figures singularly from Bricklink before grabbing that one off the shelves complete.

Edited by GallardoLU

No Death Star at SDCC - only a giant Death Trooper statue.

Also - final Jyn Erso looks different from the early one.

AylLslm.pngQcRE4de.png

Edited by CM4Sci

From LEGO's SDCC 2016 Press release:

Star Warsâ„¢

LEGO Star Wars™ fans eagerly awaiting the upcoming film premiere of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will be thrilled to see an over 6- foot tall life-sized model of the film’s new Death Trooper™, which took LEGO Master Builders 349 hours to build and contains 27,202 LEGO bricks.

So I guess that seals it! no SW mini-build this year :( or anything much to do with SW at all! it's all about superheroes it seems... boo!

Fingers crossed for RO and DS peeks... but I'm not too confident after reading this official release.

<snip>

I am seriously mad at TLG right now.... don't they understand they can't neglect SW fans like this, if you're not interested in Rebels then its been since the winter wave since ANY official peeks!!! not good enough! Edited by MKJoshA
please don't quote pictures

I am seriously mad at TLG right now.... don't they understand they can't neglect SW fans like this, if you're not interested in Rebels then its been since the winter wave since ANY official peeks!!! not good enough!

Yes they can. The sets will come out at the same time regardless of any official sneak peaks. It sucks to have to wait, but it's not the end of the world.

Yes they can. The sets will come out at the same time regardless of any official sneak peaks. It sucks to have to wait, but it's not the end of the world.

A huge part of collecting is the anticipation of the collecting, if we don't see the sets until a few days before or on the day of release then that removes a massive part of the enjoyment for me (perhaps I am on my own with this?) This isn't how to play the game TLG.

Did everybody forget that we've already seen the Rogue One sets...? Or is this about the Death Star? In which case, it will likely be officially revealed in August (or earlier) for VIP early access a month later. That's usually how it works these days.

I've never agreed with the idea that we're somehow entitled to leaks or previews. :sceptic: Historically, if you're a regular consumer, you ideally wouldn't see anything until it appeared at a toy fair, in a D2C press release, or on a store shelf. Any information you get before then is a bonus, not a right. As far as TLG is concerned, the general public should never see leaked retailer catalogs or set lists, and they do this to prevent their sets from being copied, not because they want to annoy you.

TLG has consistently shown over the past few years that it cares about AFOLs. They're not keeping things under wraps because they don't care about us. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going to give up on buying LEGO just because I don't get to see some toys a few months before I can buy them. But if other adult collectors decide to so that...well, I'm sure TLG will be happy to continue selling those toys to their target audience that doesn't browse sites like EB where rumors and previews can be found.

I 100% agree with Brickdoctor. That being said I kind've miss when I was a kid not knowing what future sets were going to be then until first seeing them in the catalog or on the shelf in a store. The only argument I can make for leaks or early announcements and reveals is that economically it's better for me to see the sets far in advance so I can set money aside to buy which ones I want.

I suppose the best analogy is that of a present. One type of anticipation is receiving a present and not knowing what it is versus buying yourself a present.

Edited by Forresto

I 100% agree with Brickdoctor. That being said I kind've miss when I was a kid not knowing what future sets were going to be then until first seeing them in the catalog or on the shelf in a store. The only argument I can make for leaks or early announcements and reveals is that economically it's better for me to see the sets far in advance so I can set money aside to buy which ones I want.

I miss that too, although it's pretty much impossible to really go back to that.

Revealing sets closer to their release rather than everyone knowing about them months in advance is better for hype though. Enough time to get excited, not enough time to start forgetting about them.

<snip>

Wait, does your source has acces to the full screenshot or do you simply have a cropped version?

Edited by MKJoshA
please don't quote pictures

I suddenly came up with an explanation as to why Lego made the Rebel Combat Frigate partially dark red. Maybe they were trying to approximate the color scheme that it had in The Clone Wars, since it originates from that era. They probably thought it was a good idea so that kids can use it as either the CW or the Rebels version. If that's the case, I'm just as disappointed as before. There might now be a reason for the inaccurate color scheme, but it's still inaccurate. They've chosen not to make the CW version in the past so they should've made the Rebels version as accurate as possible since they opted for that variant and they failed incredibly.

Said Death Trooper statue has been revealed! I think that wraps up SDCC reveals.

4zjIvPf.jpg

So I guess that seals it! no SW mini-build this year :( or anything much to do with SW at all! it's all about superheroes it seems... boo!

At a COMIC CONVENTION, what else would you expect? If it was called SDNC (nerd convention) then I think we should expect a lot more SW! :wink:

I've never agreed with the idea that we're somehow entitled to leaks or previews. :sceptic: Historically, if you're a regular consumer, you ideally wouldn't see anything until it appeared at a toy fair, in a D2C press release, or on a store shelf. Any information you get before then is a bonus, not a right. As far as TLG is concerned, the general public should never see leaked retailer catalogs or set lists, and they do this to prevent their sets from being copied, not because they want to annoy you.

TLG has consistently shown over the past few years that it cares about AFOLs. They're not keeping things under wraps because they don't care about us. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going to give up on buying LEGO just because I don't get to see some toys a few months before I can buy them. But if other adult collectors decide to so that...well, I'm sure TLG will be happy to continue selling those toys to their target audience that doesn't browse sites like EB where rumors and previews can be found.

The problem is that I never see upcoming previews for sets, and the crazy thing with the toy business, it's not like the 90's or earlier where we used to get toy catalogues with everything in one book and lately it's hard keeping up with what sets are where. It's hard keeping up with ALL Lego licenses therefore this forum although not my only source makes it hard to track down actual sets, therefore if Lego stepped it up rather than their seasonal catalogue which even then it's incomplete due to branding exclusive figures I just wish it was easier to see new figs. Kind of makes me want to work for Lego so I can know everything, but Lego sadly it's the most controlling/secretive company in the world in regards to their toys and with good reason...

Someone was talking about bootleg minifigs, whenever I have issues with pieces on big sets, i just submit what I need with Lego and send them the serial number for the manual, I know some companies licensed their products where they are super strict without the manual/sn... but there's ways around it, you can go to any bricklink site and just buy one for dirt cheap and get pieces that are hard to get, but you didn't see this from me. XD

That, and Lucasfilm is extremely tight lipped (one of the game producers joked "I'm sure there is a sniper trained at me"). If they don't want to release information, they won't. I'm pretty sure TLG has to abide by those rules as well, hence no official confirmation of the Death Star at SWC either. (though they were extremely tiptoeing around the subject)

The problem is that I never see upcoming previews for sets, and the crazy thing with the toy business, it's not like the 90's or earlier where we used to get toy catalogues with everything in one book and lately it's hard keeping up with what sets are where. It's hard keeping up with ALL Lego licenses therefore this forum although not my only source makes it hard to track down actual sets, therefore if Lego stepped it up rather than their seasonal catalogue which even then it's incomplete due to branding exclusive figures I just wish it was easier to see new figs.

That...doesn't stop you from going on Shop@Home or BL or Brickset and checking out all the new sets once they come out. I don't see how not getting a preview prevents you from keeping up with current sets. :def_shrug: It just means you don't see them until you can buy them. It's not as if TLG is hiding sets from you after they're released, and it's not as if LEGO sets go out of production and sell out so quickly that you have to know what every set is before its release date in order to keep up. Sure, it's nice whenever you get a preview of something you like so you can keep an eye out for the set the moment it shows up in stores, but if that doesn't happen, you've still got plenty of time to find out about the set and buy it.

I bring news from SDCC, where I spoke to a Lego employee.

The bad news: according to her, there will be no SW reveals. Not unexpected, as I don't remember their beings ones at past SDCCs.

The good news: when I looked disappointed, the woman asked me what I'd been hoping for. I mentioned the upcoming Death Star, and she grew animated.

"It's great!" she said.

I asked if it would be enclosed, as that's what's held me off from building the old DS I have. She told me it would, but that it would open up to reveal play features like 10188.

"But it's expensive".

I asked her how expensive, and she said $400, although she didn't seem 100% certain. I was relieved. $400 isn't nothing, but after reading rumors about $500 and seeing SW Lego inflation, I expected more,

In retrospect I wish I had asked more questions, but I felt I was taking up her time and didn't want to get her in trouble. (She never said I couldn't repeat this, but I never asked:).

I realize I don't post much here so the accuracy of this info may be questioned. Mostly I don't post because I don't have any special access to rumors, and I try not to clutter up the board because I get frustrated myself going through pages and pages without new info.

But...I'm a comics professional who has been attending SDCC for 14 years. My screen name is my real name, so you can Google me. If you go to my Instagram @marksable, you can see pics at least proving I'm here at Comic-Con.

That doesn't mean I didn't mishear or misunderstand what I was told, or that the Lego employee isn't misinformed. But I don't see why she would lie to me.

Anyway, hope I was able to share something cool. My excitement for the new DS is definitely high.

I'm hoping its more than $400. It is supposed to be bigger and better. That price is the same as the original 10188; so on that basis the new DS can only be smaller and less pieces - which could affect the playability. I'm still hoping for a $500 set.

I bring news from SDCC, where I spoke to a Lego employee.

I asked if it would be enclosed, as that's what's held me off from building the old DS I have. She told me it would, but that it would open up to reveal play features like 10188.

I realize I don't post much here so the accuracy of this info may be questioned. Mostly I don't post because I don't have any special access to rumors, and I try not to clutter up the board because I get frustrated myself going through pages and pages without new info.

That sounds like the best of both worlds. I appreciate the info and would definitely trust someone that has been here for years with a few posts than someone with 100 posts that joined yesterday. I have my fingers crossed that this info is true.

I suddenly came up with an explanation as to why Lego made the Rebel Combat Frigate partially dark red. Maybe they were trying to approximate the color scheme that it had in The Clone Wars, since it originates from that era. They probably thought it was a good idea so that kids can use it as either the CW or the Rebels version. If that's the case, I'm just as disappointed as before. There might now be a reason for the inaccurate color scheme, but it's still inaccurate. They've chosen not to make the CW version in the past so they should've made the Rebels version as accurate as possible since they opted for that variant and they failed incredibly.

I don't think they think or know that much about these thinge. I get more the assumption that they don't think or know enough about the products they design. I mean 70 % of the figures have the wrong colours (Ezra & Sabine's Outfits + skintone, Kallus outfit..).

However what you say is one of the reasons why I don't mind at all about the red - I'll use it as a former republic freighter :wub: .

The tan colours though bother me - but they can be replaced easily.

DS news: I wonder how you could open it up? maybe if it is just bigger, they could maintain the same interior quality & have a "mantle to cover it.