Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

As someone who doesn't follow this thread, I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but does anyone know why the luggabeast is blue? It's really bugging me. :wacko:

Strictly speaking it is blue in universe, just weathered and rusty. Personally I think the Lego model would have looked better if they mixed in some dark tan or dark fleshy orange elements to simulate the weathered look. I'm sure we will see some mods here.

We need a rebel transport badly! So I hope the U Wing is one especially since we certainly dont need yet another Rebel Starfighter.

I tried making a midi gallofree transport in Lego to fill that roll but no dice never looked right.

Edited by Forresto

Strictly speaking it is blue in universe, just weathered and rusty. Personally I think the Lego model would have looked better if they mixed in some dark tan or dark fleshy orange elements to simulate the weathered look. I'm sure we will see some mods here.

There is some dark flesh parts at the bottom of the head to simulate the rust and such, what people don't seem to get is that LEGO stylise the products, features, details AND colours become almost 'cartoony' in style, if the blue had all been sand blue or darker it would just look off in comparison to the rest of the set an other sets, I also had issues with the colour but after building it I think it's just about right, I love the build!

I've read this quite a few places, and I really hope it's true. It's the one thing the rebel aliance lacks. A decent drobship/troop carrier. Pretty much all major forces in every film have one. It would be an excellent addition to the new Lego sets. My rebel forces may soon finaly have a way to be transported to the front!

I totally hope you are right!

Perhaps I overlooked it but did J2G already confirm the existence of the U-Wing in the first wave of Rogue One sets?

Saw very brief glimpse of Rogue One sets. Remember that poster from a while back? Yeah, the minifigs are basically the same, except coloring is off on a few. I remember a (MUCH better/sleeker looking) First Order Snowspeeder-like vehicle, big blue white ship, an all black Imperial Shuttle like vehicle, new TIE Interceptor like vehicle and the AT-ST. There's alien figures too which make me super happy!

Will see them again soon and I'll take notes, so if you have any questions I can try answering them now or observe and answer once I see it again, I'll probably do a detailed video on my YouTube as well.

Big blue and white ship, that almost confirm's a U-Wing.

Edited by Khscarymovie4

What if the blue and white rogue One ship is another A Wing set and TLG pulls an M Night Shyamalan? :grin:

Edited by Forresto

As someone who doesn't follow this thread, I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but does anyone know why the luggabeast is blue? It's really bugging me. :wacko:

Do you mean in the movie or the LEGO set?

It's blue in the LEGO set because parts were blue in the movie:

http://www.starwarspost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/EP7-30985-1377-1378-04_0.jpg

While it wasn't AS blue in the movie, I think it's though to match things exactly.

It's blue in the movie for any number of reasons but the best one is because the designers wanted it that way. Who knows why they chose it that way.

Edited by lomis

The blue Luggabeast looks terrible.

Agreed. The color seems to be a problem with some recent SW sets. For example:

Kylo Ren's Shuttle

The wings of the Special Forces TIE Fighter

The coloration of the Resistance X-Wing (It REALLY should be white instead of light gray)

etc. I don't know why TLG's designers have gotten the color wrong on so many occasions. I kinda doubt it's because of the concept art.

Obviously, everyone has different perceptions of color and how good/bad it looks, but some of the color schemes are objectively incorrect.

Hopefully this won't be a big problem with the Rogue One sets, because I'm kind of sick of having to modify sets with my own pieces or Bricklink orders.

Edited by Nokturn

Well with the Luggabeast there was no real way of showing the rust in a way that looked good. Sure normally a designer could use lots of little pieces to do that but look at the awkward situation of it being armored plating. Short of being molded I don't personally see how they could have.

The blue itself is spot on to the original. It just doesn't display the same weathered look.

The blue itself is spot on to the original. It just doesn't display the same weathered look.

I'll give you that one. However, I personally feel that a dark blue or even sand blue would've been much more appropriate.

That's kind of a nice middle ground, and it would trick the eye into seeing the set as weathered.

This effect was used to a great degree on the Millennium Falcon (75105), and it worked very well, IMO.

We need a rebel transport badly! So I hope the U Wing is one especially since we certainly dont need yet another Rebel Starfighter.

I tried making a midi gallofree transport in Lego to fill that roll but no dice never looked right.

I think a gallofree has way too many curves to ever be done properly in lego, maybe in a very large scale.

Kylo Ren's Shuttle

The coloration of the Resistance X-Wing (It REALLY should be white instead of light gray)

etc. I don't know why TLG's designers have gotten the color wrong on so many occasions. I kinda doubt it's because of the concept art.

Obviously, everyone has different perceptions of color and how good/bad it looks, but some of the color schemes are objectively incorrect.

Hopefully this won't be a big problem with the Rogue One sets, because I'm kind of sick of having to modify sets with my own pieces or Bricklink orders.

I think it's because of the concept art. Look at Kylo Ren's shuttle. Black in the movie. Dark grey in Lego. In Hasbro models it's been grey, white and black. There was another mistake in the first wave of TFA sets too, but I can't remember what it was.

Kylo Ren's Shuttle

At least Lego didn't make kylos ship white like Hasbro did

The resistance x wing is grey just look. http://adserver.bworldonline.com/webpics/articles/image/20151220d0473.jpg

But what's wrong with the tie fighter?

Kylo Ren's Shuttle

Don't forget Tarkin.

Well with the Luggabeast there was no real way of showing the rust in a way that looked good. Sure normally a designer could use lots of little pieces to do that but look at the awkward situation of it being armored plating. Short of being molded I don't personally see how they could have.

Molded would have been fantastic.

At least Lego didn't make kylos ship white like Hasbro did

The resistance x wing is grey just look. http://adserver.bwor...151220d0473.jpg

But what's wrong with the tie fighter?

Take a look at it compared to the Falcon: http://i.imgur.com/DEqspr9.jpg

Those two screencaps are taken directly from a shot in TFA, in which the camera pans over from a Resistance X-Wing

to the Millennium Falcon. If the LEGO Falcon is light gray, the X-Wing needs to be white, much like most of the other LEGO X-Wings.

Reason being, white is the closest match to the color scheme, other than Light Stone Gray, which is not used in many pieces.

Also, as a personal preference thing, I think that the LEGO Blue and the LEGO Light Gray look absolutely terrible together.

As for the TIE Fighter, I feel the wings should've been white. In universe, the wings are made up of this bizarre, slightly opaque, and almost iridescent material.

For the most part, that comes across to me as white, and I think the contrast between black, white, and red is far more visually appealing and accurate.

Either way, it's not like it particularly matters on the sets that have been released thus far. But as I said, I really hope that the Rogue One sets

don't suffer the same fate. That Rebel Transport better be blue and white. :tongue:

I totally hope you are right!

Perhaps I overlooked it but did J2G already confirm the existence of the U-Wing in the first wave of Rogue One sets?

Looking back I believe they did, here's hoping they do it justice and have it in the biggest set, so we can have more detail for the ship. Alas it will probebly not be, however if that is so, it will hopefully be as good as the resistance transporter set we got at the start of the year.

With the prices so steep we'll get extra critical on details, minifigures and such. If they can't deliver they'll get more and more negativity in the future i'm afraid. I for one didn't buy any sw this year. I do not feel the sets so much and i certainly don't like the raise in pricetags. The inclusion of Dengar is a nice gesture, but i don't like the fact that he is included just to sell a stupid made-up ship. And that's how i feel now on sw lego. Maybe i have enough sw already.

Although there is always room for Ponda Baba.

I think this wave is just under a thousand dollars here in Aus... one of the steepest from memory. Not sure the quality is there, perhaps they have work experience kids on the job with this run...

Hoping the Rogue One sets are nice...

I totally agree with Borex's comments about the new wave of Lego Star Wars being overpriced. I just simply cannot bring myself to buy any of these new sets. Living in Australia does not help either. The only set I'm going to get is probably the encounter on Jakku's set for the alien mini figures and the Luggabeast. Even this set is expensive for what you get.

The Australian prices on S@H are ridiculous! Lego prices have always been inflated here but this new wave seems to really be pushing it. :sceptic:

Definitely going to have to be a lot more selective on what sets to buy.

@Nokturn: The biggest mistake on the TIE fighter is the lack of spokes on the inside of the wings and the lack of a rotating cannon under the cockpit.

I think this wave is just under a thousand dollars here in Aus... one of the steepest from memory. Not sure the quality is there, perhaps they have work experience kids on the job with this run...

Hoping the Rogue One sets are nice...

I totally agree with Borex's comments about the new wave of Lego Star Wars being overpriced. I just simply cannot bring myself to buy any of these new sets. Living in Australia does not help either. The only set I'm going to get is probably the encounter on Jakku's set for the alien mini figures and the Luggabeast. Even this set is expensive for what you get.

The Australian prices on S@H are ridiculous! Lego prices have always been inflated here but this new wave seems to really be pushing it. :sceptic:

Definitely going to have to be a lot more selective on what sets to buy.

As much as I hate to comment on price I have to agree. Its not just Star Wars sets either. Some of the City sets defy logic and can't be explained by licensing costs...unless Octan is a real (& very greedy) oil company. :sceptic:

I didn't find any of the summer SW sets yet in my country yet, so I can't really talk about my opinion on the prices of the summer sets. But I agree, the price of the summer sets are ridiculous and there's little to no reason for the inflation. It's not just the Star Wars sets that are affected with the price inflation through (I'm looking at you, 60132!) since that the other themes like City also facing the same issue with the set prices. Get the winter wave sets while you still can.