Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

Thanks!

The A Wing holds together very nicely and is very sturdy. The only piece that you could argue is slightly easy to break-off are the back fins. Like you said there are a lot of moving parts and the fins can twist from side to side, like the fighter is turning. I think it would be better if the landing gear was just slightly longer because the fins go down just as much as the landing gear so if you put the ship down to hard the bottom piece may come off when it touches the ground.

For whatever mine was missing the Turbo Tank as well. Do you think it may be an exclusive? Seems a bit odd that they had all the other sets except that one.

For those that have the 2010 model of the CTT and the new one, is it worth the upgrade?

Not really worth the upgrade in my opinion, this one is not very much detailed compared to the last one, it's a bit smalller, there is barely an interior. Mini fig wise it's better, although they could have added an additionnal trooper in there. To me it's a meh like the rest of the summer wave ( except for that rebel frigate ).

That's good too know. Based on the box art it looks nice on the outside, but size is something that the CTT needs so it's unfortunate they made it so small.

I definitely agree about the new frigate. I love ships like that and because it was in the Republic Fleet during the Clone Wars I will definitely buy it. It reminds me a lot of the 2011 Republic Frigate.

New CTT is better than I was expecting...but an overall improvement on the last? Hmm, think it's a tie. The under carriage on the new one is much better but at the cost of overall size.

Seems Lego have some goal of keeping everything under 1,000 bricks - this is a set that needed slightly more pieces than the 2010 version just to sort out some accuracy issues.

Not really worth the upgrade in my opinion, this one is not very much detailed compared to the last one, it's a bit smalller, there is barely an interior. Mini fig wise it's better, although they could have added an additionnal trooper in there. To me it's a meh like the rest of the summer wave ( except for that rebel frigate ).

Couldn't agree more with everything you've said! An At-rt trooper would have made the set with some added detail. Seems to be a recurring issue with sets recently.

Builds have been getting great in the past few years, but they're declining in quality again. Not only that, but I agree that Lego now seems to not even care about the minifig selection. It has been their main selling point in sets for years, but in the Star Wars range they really screwed up this year. They could've easily included new Clone Commanders or Trooper variants in sets like the Homing Spider Droid and the Turbo Tank to make them more desirable. As always, the variation in the SW Rebels range is pathetic. Zeb is missing yet again, the AT-TE clones are very plain and are missing their helmets and the Rebel Combat Frigate omits the new Rebel Troopers and refuses to update Ezra with his scars. Where's the Seventh Sister? Without her, there's really no use for the Fifth Brother :sceptic: though I'm glad we at least got a stellar version of him.

Edited by JekPorkchops

Builds have been getting great in the past few years, but they're declining in quality again. Not only that, but I agree that Lego now seems to not even care about the minifig selection. It has been their main selling point in sets for years, but in the Star Wars range they really screwed up this year. *snip*

I totally agree. Some of the recently released minifigs have been quite lackluster. As a LEGO Star Wars collector it kind of hurts to see really detailed figs (incl. dual-molds, arm printing and side-leg printing) from the Super Heroes themes and the fantastic designs (parts/prints) for Ninjago. One of the upcoming Ninjago figs even has double molded transparent arms. Looks amazing.

I believe that many of the sets recently are always having some kind of negative part to it. Lego have become lazy with minifigures and not providing sets that we actually want.

Edited by ArrowBricks

I agree that LEGO's been sort of lacking on Star Wars minifigures recently (not in quality though, but quantity). Star Wars seems to be the theme with the least number of minifigures in larger sets. The TIE Advanced vs. A-Wing is probably the biggest culprit of this; it only has four figures in a $90 set. The Bridge Battle set from Marvel is only $10 more and has seven figures. It'd just be nice to get some more figures in these larger, more expensive sets. For what it's worth though, I think Star Wars is the theme with the best looking figures, so that's likely the cause for there being less of them.

I agree that LEGO's been sort of lacking on Star Wars minifigures recently (not in quality though, but quantity). Star Wars seems to be the theme with the least number of minifigures in larger sets. The TIE Advanced vs. A-Wing is probably the biggest culprit of this; it only has four figures in a $90 set. The Bridge Battle set from Marvel is only $10 more and has seven figures. It'd just be nice to get some more figures in these larger, more expensive sets. For what it's worth though, I think Star Wars is the theme with the best looking figures, so that's likely the cause for there being less of them.

I think the difference is that the focus of the Marvel sets just like the movies are the characters and not just the set pieces. Kids want to buy a superhero set not because it has an awesome jet but because it has captain america and doctor strange or whatever. I don't think those sets would do as well if they didn't have a strong mini figure presence. Star Wars being more Sci-Fi they know we're in it for the vehicles and starships. Yes the figures are an important component, especially as a fan who prefers the minifigures to vehicles, but I imagine TLG thinks strong vehicles are better SW sellers.

Considering the UCS Hoth debacle its easy to think Lego is certainly feeling that we as a Lego SW fanbase care more for the ships then the figures. I don't think that's the right lesson to take from it, as the figures were nothing to really write home about which was part of the problem. Regardless it's a figure heavy set which makes it a departure from standard UCS and it's the first UCS to really fail as a set.

I always thought Lego saw the minifigs being the main selling point of Star Wars sets. Anyways, while I don't really favor minifigs or builds (since I collect both) I now finally start to miss the good old days where Lego would throw in the best minifigs in a very mediocre set. That way we would've at least been able to get them. The new sets (save for gems like the Tie vs A-wing) have nothing going on in them.

Also, I don't get why Lego's in-house themes like Ninjago and Nexo-Knights are getting so many new moulds. Yeah it looks nice and it's great as a toy, but compared to Star Wars icons that really deserve better parts and prints, those figures are just obscure characters. Why do they have enough budget for them but not for freakin' Star Wars, their top-selling theme?

This whole cheaping out on 90+ (enter your currency here) set with already low parts and minifigs counts is getting even worse. Why can't the Seventh Sister be in a retail exclusive set? Because she needs a new mould? So what, some Nexo Knight cán get that? It's a very expensive set! So I guess Ahsoka doesn't get a new mould either. Why o why?

Edited by JekPorkchops

I totally agree. Some of the recently released minifigs have been quite lackluster. As a LEGO Star Wars collector it kind of hurts to see really detailed figs (incl. dual-molds, arm printing and side-leg printing) from the Super Heroes themes and the fantastic designs (parts/prints) for Ninjago. One of the upcoming Ninjago figs even has double molded transparent arms. Looks amazing.

Which Ninjago fig?

Ninjago is getting double molded translucent and we can't even get proper skin tones for Ezra and Sabine :wacko:

Imagine how big an improvement it would be if the current stormtroopers had waist and leg side printing. Considering we only get one on average per set you would think they could at least do that.

The points about Super Heroes vs Star Wars in terms of minifig vs build being the draw are valid. The vast, overwhelming majority of Super Heroes sets are scrap-builds ready to be immediately broken down for parts, it's ALL about the minifigures. I can scroll through the list of all Super Heroes sets and list the ones that of any real value to keep built and displayed:

DC: Arkham Asylum, UCS Tumbler, *maybe* Jokerland and/or Wonder Woman's/Justice League jets, the BvS Batwing, the '66 Batcave

Marvel: the first two Quinjets, the Starblaster Nova ship, the Milano, the Hulkbuster, Giant-Man, the Helicarrier, and the upcoming Spidey bridge

You might be able to toss a couple more on to either list based on personal preference but the rest are all just basic trucks/cars/planes and assorted filler.

The Star Wars line is a different situation - the figures are even MORE desirable, but the vehicles actually do matter. Almost all the characters in Star Wars are significantly enhanced by their vehicles - Poe needs his X-wing, Vader is better with a TIE, Palpatine looks great with a shuttle, etc. The vehicles, unlike almost anything in the Marvel films, are also iconic on their own - the scream of TIE fighters, the creak and clank of AT-ATs - these don't even require important characters to be inside, it's about the vehicles themselves. Nothing in Marvel or DC short of perhaps the Batmobiles can really boast the same.

I agree with some of the general assessment on the recent discussion here that this isn't the strongest wave we've seen - we had some great small/medium kits in early 2016, none of the summer sets are without some kind of significant flaw, even though most of them are still for the most part good sets. The best of them, Vader vs A-wing, is a definitively great set, but even that is notched by the Tarkin uniform debate and Sabine's lack of a s2 helmet, still-incorrect skin tone, and bad-as-ever hairmold.

To my mind, the summer wave probably is receiving the least of the effort of the 2016 waves - with the majority of the attention going to prepping for Rogue One.

The lack of interior space in the new CTT is disappointing. I really like it when vehicles can fit a lot of minifigures like the Sandcrawler, AT-AT and Millennium Falcon. I think it adds an extra level of detail to the set.

Regarding the quality of sets this year, I still think they just whipped up some stuff for the first few waves, and they're gonna blow us away with R1 sets and the Death Star (I hope).

Darth Caedus excellent points! I wonder what has made TLG think recently to include less and less figures.

Regarding the quality of sets this year, I still think they just whipped up some stuff for the first few waves, and they're gonna blow us away with R1 sets and the Death Star (I hope).

Here's hoping we're Alderan and TLG is the Death Star cause i'm waiting to be blown away. :vader:

Here's hoping we're Alderan and TLG is the Death Star cause i'm waiting to be blown away. :vader:

This is the best thing I've heard in the last week :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Kman860

Found the CTT at Target for regular price. No other new Star Wars sets were out, though.

I think the problem as far as figures and such goes right now is that there's simply too much Star Wars content being released for them to keep up. We have TFA, Rebels, and Rogue One all coming out close together, and on top of that LEGO still seems to want to put out some PT and OT sets as well (and their own Freemaker stuff). The previous limit to the number of new molds and such is being stretched too thin in an attempt to accommodate all the new content. However, all of this new Star Wars content comes with increased sales for related sets, so I don't think it would be too difficult to justify allowing for a few more new molds and such to keep the quality up. Or at least some arm printing.

The new CTT is a upgrade and downgrade. The out side appearance is better but the inside is not that good.

The new CTT is a upgrade and downgrade. The out side appearance is better but the inside is not that good.

That's what I was thinking. I'll probably still get it because the exterior looks good. Maybe a slight mod of putting some seats where the walker goes will improve the interior.

It's kinda annoying for me that you only get 4 minifigures from the TIE Advance vs A-Wing with that price tag while you can get 4-7 minifigures in slightly cheaper sets (FO Transporter, Death Star Final Duel), so yeah the argument about the lack of minifigures is kinda valid.