Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

Seeing the twists play out is like watching an episode of Morrey. The DNA tests on the Star Wars Rogue One clip are in. Lucasfilm you are not the father.

LOL

I'm more excited for Rogue One than I was for Ep.7 because it's closer to the OT time period. Hopefully it will feature a lot of the OT vehicles.

Edited by jdm44

It just baffles me that they would retire the at at walker knowing they'll release "Hoth assault"

Hoth looks terrible enough by itself. It would only look so much worse next to such an awesome set as the AT-AT.

Hoth looks terrible enough by itself. It would only look so much worse next to such an awesome set as the AT-AT.

There's so much sarcasm here that I"m thoroughly confused lol

Do you think that the new AT-TE will have helmets for the clones , they did use them in the episode thought I don't expect them to make a new mould for gregor's one.

Do you think that the new AT-TE will have helmets for the clones , they did use them in the episode thought I don't expect them to make a new mould for gregor's one.

We don't seem them so unfortunately not

Aside from various Imperials (Motti, Tagge, Bast, Jerjerrod, etc), i can't think of any new characters who could be included in the new Death Star. Maybe new printing for Prisoner Leia, and Han and Luke when they get their white belts, otherwise they'd just be slightly updated from 10188, with technicians and Death Star Gunners also available. There ae those strange imerial aides seen for a second in RotJ, but that's not much to get excited about.

I'm pretty sure 10188 also covered all the locations in the Death Star, and there was a lot of spare space too, like the room taken up by the droid repair centre, which could be used for a more realistic room if desired.

2008 was a long time ago in Lego terms, and loads of new elements and techniques and colours have been released since. Hopefully it's just a facelift for the set as mentioned before, and those happy with 10188 can easily update it for minimum expense, or leave it be and still have it looking fine.

The fact that we have yet to hear any credible rumors or pics for the May 4th promotional minifig makes me think we may be getting a character that Lego has only had access to pictures of in the last few months.... TFA Luke Skywalker. Maybe not, but I find it very odd why nothing has been leaked yet for this year's fig. Normally we would have heard or seen something by now.

It just baffles me that they would retire the at at walker knowing they'll release "Hoth assault"

I totally agree. You would think they would sell a lot more of both sets if availability dates overlapped. There is plenty of precedence for them doing so in the past such as ROTJ Tatooine sets a few years back or the previous Hoth playsets before that. An "assault" on Hoth without an AT-AT doesn't make for much of an assault.

Exactly, the only thing that piqued my interest in buying the AT-AT was the announcement of the Assault on Hoth set. Ahh well

The absence of the AT-AT is certainly odd. Lego did maintain production of Ecto-1 when they released the Ghostbusters HQ knowing that many people would want the car to go along with the building. Why did they not do the same with the AT-AT?

As it stands, the Imperials do not have much of a chance against the Hoth defense. They are outnumbered in the upcoming set. The $25 expansion pack does not help much since you only get one snowtrooper to go along with Han and the Rebel. Silly me thought that the Imperial forces greatly outnumbered the rebels.

They did the same with Anakin and Obi-Wan's jedi Starfighters, and they'll no doubt do the same with another Cloud City set once the Carbon Freezing Chamber set has moved on.. I don't understand it.. People want to buy/collect sets that go together.

Unless it was delayed as I think was mentioned, and was due for release this time last year.. would the AT-AT still have been around then? Either way, the Hoth Attack set seems like a pointless accompaniment for the UCS set, when an extended Echo Base would have been much more desirable, or something more Empire-focused. I guess it's meant to be an add-on you can buy multiples of, like the set that was released alongside Helm's Deep to extend the wall..

Here's roughly what I hope for the minifigs if the Death Star is just a remake.. (with Vader's new helmet, Stormie printing more like the FO troops, etc.)

death_star_remake_figs.png

But like others have said, hopefully the 'final duel' part will be left out since it now a great standalone set. That would leave room for other figs like Imperial officers (dark grey & black) and technicians (light grey) etc. in place of Jedi Luke, the Emperor and his royal guards. If it is a playset remake, it might be a nice idea to try covering the exterior so it looks more like the Death Star when on display, with removable/opening panels to access the interior; just to distinguish it a bit from the previous model.

Edited by ADHO15

If it had a shell covering one half, and the set interior was on a carousel, you could see and access one side while the other has an exterior. Like a circular saw only has half exposed at a time and the rest of it is covered until it revolves around.

Wasn't the Echo base meant to come out in October last year. So was the AT-AT still on shelves back then?

That clip was debunked by Pablo Hidalgo.

Beat me to it.

Seeing the twists play out is like watching an episode of Morrey. The DNA tests on the Star Wars Rogue One clip are in. Lucasfilm you are not the father.

Isn't it 'Maury'?

Wasn't the Echo base meant to come out in October last year. So was the AT-AT still on shelves back then?

It officially retired in November. Regardless, it wouldn't have given customers long to decide. You would think they would have extended its life cycle, similar to Ghostbusters HQ extending the life cycle of Ecto-1. I guess TFA sets took priority for Star Wars shelf real estate.

I think that's just it. There's a lot of stuff to go on shelves and the schedule was probably out slightly.

The Snowspeeder was released with the AT-AT for obvious play reasons even though it was actually Wedge's speeder that winched the legs. Having the Hoth set come out in the next wave or so after retirement isn't such a big deal. Not everything can be on shelves at the same time and if people really wanted an AT-AT it was there... there's always going to be people late for a particular release and it will come back around eventually.

They did the same with Anakin and Obi-Wan's jedi Starfighters, and they'll no doubt do the same with another Cloud City set once the Carbon Freezing Chamber set has moved on.. I don't understand it.. People want to buy/collect sets that go together.

I think that's a different case - AFOLs will buy both Jedi Starfighters no matter when they are released, but as a pure toy for kids, most parents are not going to buy basically the same vehicle twice. There's no big advantage of releasing both at once. The AT-AT, on the other hand, is probably a big seller no matter when it's released. I'd guess having an AT-AT availabe would make more people buy the Hoth set, rather than the other way around.

I think that's a different case - AFOLs will buy both Jedi Starfighters no matter when they are released, but as a pure toy for kids, most parents are not going to buy basically the same vehicle twice. There's no big advantage of releasing both at once. The AT-AT, on the other hand, is probably a big seller no matter when it's released. I'd guess having an AT-AT availabe would make more people buy the Hoth set, rather than the other way around.

Even AFOLs have budgets, having the AT-AT on market at a time when TFA sets were being launched would cannibalize them..

Aside from various Imperials (Motti, Tagge, Bast, Jerjerrod, etc), i can't think of any new characters who could be included in the new Death Star. Maybe new printing for Prisoner Leia, and Han and Luke when they get their white belts, otherwise they'd just be slightly updated from 10188, with technicians and Death Star Gunners also available. There ae those strange imerial aides seen for a second in RotJ, but that's not much to get excited about.

I'd get very excited about those new Imperials. Hopefully they don't include Jerjerrod, since his rank insignia is a basic 3 red/3 blue squares. But Motti, Tagge, or Bast would add some badly needed new Imperial rank insignias. Motti also would look good in the new Doctor Who/Tarkin hair in reddish brown and would give them another reason to use that mold.

I meant the Imperial Aides were not very exciting, I'm especially keen on getting Motti and Tagge :)

I really hope the set doesn't warrant me spending another £400, with just a few minifigs to buy. Another thought I just had was the giant mouse droid as a possible figure. 10188 was 95% complete in terms of characters included, it's hard to see anything beating it.

Here's roughly what I hope for the minifigs if the Death Star is just a remake.. (with Vader's new helmet, Stormie printing more like the FO troops, etc.)

death_star_remake_figs.png

Why is that picture under a spoiler??

I swear they better not update the stormtroopers again im in the process of catching up to the current ones :D