Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

Expecting LEGO to keep to 10c/piece year on year is unrealistic. Even in a poor economy, there's inflation and fluctuating exchange rates, plus LEGO need to keep investing in new designs, new moulds, ever-increasing energy and material costs. Speaking relatively, LEGO is trending towards getting cheaper compared to the overall cost of living. The prices for the new sets seem pretty fair for what you get.

With that said, the prices for Lego Star Wars per piece over the past years have stayed pretty similar, in the 11-13 c/piece range. There hasn't really been a trend towards worse price/parts in recent years.

Edited by Scorpus

I think it fluctuates more here in Australia than Europe or the US.

There have been more new moulds this year so a bump in prices is to be expected. It will be interesting to see with the summer wave as there seems to be less new moulds from what has been previewed (Unkar Platt, teedo seem to be a couple that spring to mind as new moulds) how the price per $ ratio is...

The prices in Austalia are always marked up so much more, exchange rate besides. :((

Also, I may have missed it but did someone confirm whether the Seventh Sister was coming with the mystery Ahsoka set? It seems pretty likely...

Also, I may have missed it but did someone confirm whether the Seventh Sister was coming with the mystery Ahsoka set? It seems pretty likely...

No confirmation yet, but it is pretty likely indeed :classic: It wouldn't make much sense to release the Fifth Brother this year and postpone the release of the Seventh Sister, especially when considering the fact that the show will soon introduce a third Inquisitor (or fourth, if you count the late Grand Inquisitor). I assume the remaining yet unknown Inquisitors will make appearances in the next season(s), so TLG'd better release the minifig versions as soon as they can to keep up with the pace :laugh:

Wow nice work with the data. Of course its not always about the flat priece per part ratio (some sets have parts that are more expensive/valuable than others and some sets have more printed pieces or new molds), but since I think that even 10cents per part is too much in general, its interesting too see how few lego star wars sets stayed below it.

NOW it would be interesting to compare the star wars theme with other themes over the last years, especially Lego City!

Edited by BigEl

Speaking of pricing - I've just noticed the Eclipse fighter (you know, the bricks that come with Dengar) is listed as £34.99 on brickset. That's a mistake, isn't it? 2 minifigure? It's a mistake... Surely!?!

Speaking of pricing - I've just noticed the Eclipse fighter (you know, the bricks that come with Dengar) is listed as £34.99 on brickset. That's a mistake, isn't it? 2 minifigure? It's a mistake... Surely!?!

Same price for last year's snowspeeder which only came with two minifigures.

Same price for last year's snowspeeder which only came with two minifigures.

The snowspeeder came with 3. Dak, Luke, and a Snowtrooper.

What he said. :)

Ah.... um... guilty as charged :look: somehow I forget about the ubiquitous snowtroopers.

Noticed there's a Battle Droid in the Encounter on Jakku set. I guess it's a junk droid that was off screen in the movie.

Noticed there's a Battle Droid in the Encounter on Jakku set. I guess it's a junk droid that was off screen in the movie.

Noticed that too, it would have been great if it really was in the movie.

Noticed that too, it would have been great if it really was in the movie.

Was thinking the same thing, maybe it'll be in a deleted scene?

It could be Lego improvising a droid.

On the other hand in the movie wasn't their a bunch of aliens at a table working on junk and robots?

So from what I'm getting, Rebels Vader hasn't gone as drastic of a change as the Stormtroopers?

I GUESS I'll get that set then :hmpf::tongue:

Can you message me the parts to build the mining in your pic?

It could be Lego improvising a droid.

On the other hand in the movie wasn't their a bunch of aliens at a table working on junk and robots?

Probably Lego's way of saying the prequels are junk ;)

Okay guys, so I too was a little disappointed when Assault on Hoth was officially released but the more I've thought about it the more I can see why they've designed it in the way they have. I know it seems pretty disparate but if they'd only built a single large structure with the same piece count there would have been some similar uproar as it would have seemed even less substantial. Ewok Village seems so much more substantial mostly due to the fact that the structure is mostly tree trunks or flat wide platforms. There is a reasonable argument as to whether this should have the UCS badge but it won't change anything now.

And as for the price...

Ewok Village - 1990 pieces for £199.99 = 10p per piece.

17 minifigures included.

Assault on Hoth - 2144 pieces for £219.99 = 10.2p per piece.

15 minifigures included.

1 Wampa included.

1 Tauntaun included.

The Ewok Village design was appropriate for a single structure build, it seems TLG thought that Hoth was more appropriately represented as a group of smaller builds.

I for one can't wait to get my hands on it!

Probably Lego's way of saying the prequels are junk ;)

Did you notice the first line in TFA?

'This will begin to make thinks right'

wouldn't be the first hint that the prequels were junk ;)

Edited by markw

Okay guys, so I too was a little disappointed when Assault on Hoth was officially released but the more I've thought about it the more I can see why they've designed it in the way they have. I know it seems pretty disparate but if they'd only built a single large structure with the same piece count there would have been some similar uproar as it would have seemed even less substantial. Ewok Village seems so much more substantial mostly due to the fact that the structure is mostly tree trunks or flat wide platforms. There is a reasonable argument as to whether this should have the UCS badge but it won't change anything now.

And as for the price...

Ewok Village - 1990 pieces for £199.99 = 10p per piece.

17 minifigures included.

Assault on Hoth - 2144 pieces for £219.99 = 10.2p per piece.

15 minifigures included.

1 Wampa included.

1 Tauntaun included.

The Ewok Village design was appropriate for a single structure build, it seems TLG thought that Hoth was more appropriately represented as a group of smaller builds.

I for one can't wait to get my hands on it!

Doesn't really change anything. UCS has never been a point about piece count, or minifigures. Some may argue minifigs do not belong in a UCS set.

UCS is a matter of expert and enjoyable build, beautiful and iconic display, and a level of awe and uniqueness. This Hoth set has none of that. Throwing in a large number of minifigs, piece count or big figs do not make a set UCS.

Compared to Ewok Village, which is unique from any other sets that preceded it, this UCS hoth set is a combination of all things before, with the exception of the ion cannon and generators. I would much prefer it with some depth or interior design, take out the wampa, tantuan, snowspeeder and the dreadful stud shooter. The ewok village when displayed has presence, this looks just like my 7666 plus 2 x 7749.

Sad to see this, as Hoth is without a doubt a favourite scene of mine in Star Wars, and I have all the previous hoth sets, including 3 AT-ATs and 5 snowspeeders. This is a very very undeserving UCS set.

Edited by Pointblank

Doesn't really change anything. UCS has never been a point about piece count, or minifigures. Some may argue minifigs do not belong in a UCS set.

UCS is a matter of expert and enjoyable build, beautiful and iconic display, and a level of awe and uniqueness. This Hoth set has none of that. Throwing in a large number of minifigs, piece count or big figs do not make a set UCS.

Compared to Ewok Village, which is unique from any other sets that preceded it, this UCS hoth set is a combination of all things before, with the exception of the ion cannon and generators. I would much prefer it with some depth or interior design, take out the wampa, tantuan, snowspeeder and the dreadful stud shooter. The ewok village when displayed has presence, this looks just like my 7666 plus 2 x 7749.

Sad to see this, as Hoth is without a doubt a favourite scene of mine in Star Wars, and I have all the previous hoth sets, including 3 AT-ATs and 5 snowspeeders. This is a very very undeserving UCS set.

While i do agree with your insight on what a "UCS" set should entail, I missed out on the 7666 set which I thought was amazing due to the blast doors so I will be getting this next one. TBH I'm forcing myself to like it because it's an exclusive. Especially an OT exclusive.

Did you notice the first line in TFA?

'This will begin to make thinks right'

wouldn't be the first hint that the prequels were junk ;)

Love how many times this line has been used to bash prequels.

It was actually different in the novelisation of the film, that line appears as snippet in something far bigger and was shortened for the film.

Its not a slight on the prequels, its about restoring order to a galaxy that has a shadow coming...

Has an OT fan I don't hate the prequels. I think the reason the battle droid is in the set is Disney trying to connect the saga closer together. Mr. Bones the battle droid from Aftermath and the battle droid companion RO-GR from the upcoming Star Wars TV series.

Here's the Star Wars v City comparison that someone wanted

VJq2CAr.jpg

6M68uOC.jpg

Not as good price/parts value at the high end, but that's usually due to large molds (eg. boats, spaceships, planes, train tracks) or power functions

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the circles? I get that they're supposed to be sets, I get it's supposed too stylish, but I don't really get what each blob is. I'm too much of a pragmatist I suppose :laugh: