Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

Not being a big fan of the EU, I would much rather have sets based on legends material than something that Lego made up. I think some of the EU stuff is more star wars looking than what Lego comes up with. Also, there are still things from both the OT and prequels that we have never had in a set.

Not being a big fan of the EU, I would much rather have sets based on legends material than something that Lego made up. I think some of the EU stuff is more star wars looking than what Lego comes up with. Also, there are still things from both the OT and prequels that we have never had in a set.

Agreed. There are fighters & speeders from SWTOR, from all kinds of comics, from the Microseries (Asajj's fan-blade fighter, for instance, tricky tho it might be), from the books (Skipray Blastboat!), games (Moldy Crow, Ebon Hawk)... I do liked the "Hammerhead" ship, it kinda looks like a downsized SWTOR Jedi Defender-class ship (which I sadly skipped) in CIS colors, and reminds me a bit of the HH-87 Starhopper from TCW (and Aftermath), in that it's a smaller ship not clearly Alliance/Imp/Republic/CIS, so it can be used for anything/anyone.

But that other one, the Imperial Huntship, looks weird. Interesting ship design, very sci-fi, but a little too 'off' for SW, IMO, not when there are so many other vehicles they could make. It's almost like a "what would Grievous' starfighter evolve into?" MOC idea. Curious what the dark-side minifig character will be... an Inquisitor? A Sith from SWTOR?

But that other one, the Imperial Huntship, looks weird. Interesting ship design, very sci-fi, but a little too 'off' for SW, IMO, not when there are so many other vehicles they could make. It's almost like a "what would Grievous' starfighter evolve into?" MOC idea. Curious what the dark-side minifig character will be... an Inquisitor? A Sith from SWTOR?

Yes this, I was wondering what it reminded me of! Definitely looks like a souped up Grievous Starfighter (which in itself never really looked 'Star Warsy' to me)

As much as I want to disagree I cannot, I hope they do not abandon OT and PT altogether, although I think its safe to assume we've seen the last Jabba's Palace and Sail Barge we are ever likely to have (luckily they weren't that long ago).

The Original Trilogy gets plenty of attention through the UCS line though. I wouldn't rule out the Sailbarge being redone one day more like the recent Sandcrawler, or Jabba's Palace being revisited like Echo Base and the Death Star are this year.

Like the Sith Starfighter from TOR. :)

The Original Trilogy gets plenty of attention through the UCS line though. I wouldn't rule out the Sailbarge being redone one day more like the recent Sandcrawler, or Jabba's Palace being revisited like Echo Base and the Death Star are this year.

I certainly hope that we still get enough of OT sets going forward, my comment about Jabba's palace and Sail-barge were specifically to do with Disney's comments on Leia in slave outfit being inappropriate for their audience.

http://screencrush.com/slave-leia-retired-star-wars-merchandise/

I was really hoping the new 2016 sets were going to have some new characters from the PT/OT that we don't have or haven't seen in awhile. It would be nice to get a revised version of Zam Wesell(Bounty Hunter Pursuit 2002) and Dengar(UCS super star destroyer). We also have yet to see minifigures of Boss Nass, Taun We, Lama Su, Tion Medon, Bail Organa, 4-Lom & Zuckuss. Lego continues to remake minfigs, creates made up minifigs, and create minifigs with virtually no screen time, yet they are still missing figs based off characters that actually had speaking parts in the movies. Also it would be nice if Lego would stop remaking sets that just came out 2-3 years ago and make something new or re-make something that hasn't been made in 10-15 years (Jango's Slave I)

I was really hoping the new 2016 sets were going to have some new characters from the PT/OT that we don't have or haven't seen in awhile. It would be nice to get a revised version of Zam Wesell(Bounty Hunter Pursuit 2002) and Dengar(UCS super star destroyer). We also have yet to see minifigures of Boss Nass, Taun We, Lama Su, Tion Medon, Bail Organa, 4-Lom & Zuckuss. Lego continues to remake minfigs, creates made up minifigs, and create minifigs with virtually no screen time, yet they are still missing figs based off characters that actually had speaking parts in the movies. Also it would be nice if Lego would stop remaking sets that just came out 2-3 years ago and make something new or re-make something that hasn't been made in 10-15 years (Jango's Slave I)

Here's a thread that could help you with that: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16300&st=0

Agree 100%, it's both good and bad, good that there is such a wealth of characters untapped for the future, bad that they are created so slowly, I suppose TLG don't want to use them all up at once, and hey, lets face it, the anticipation is sweet!

Exactly my thoughts! I'm still waiting for a new version of Jango's Slave I and by the looks of it I'm starting to think that there wont be another version any time soon :look:

Edited by LOTR34

I do agree about the disappointment of not seeing certain sets and minifigures from the Originals and Prequels being redesigned or being released for the first time. However the reality is it will not happen.

Lego has so much new content to focus on that they will only release sets from the originals and Prequel films that are always going to be desirably and easy to recognise. Why would they want to focus on releasing new sets and figures from movies that are now 'old' then the likes of Rebels, Epsiode 7 and so on, and the Spin off films.

One question, are the prelims, the Rebels At te walker, and the usual exclusive for a summer wave, the only sets we are getting or are there more?

Cheers

One question, are the prelims, the Rebels At te walker, and the usual exclusive for a summer wave, the only sets we are getting or are there more?

I don't know for sure, but from the sound of it that might be all we are getting. There was a rumored leak of a set called "Encounter on Jakku", however that set name might have come from the Resistance X-wing set. It may just be the six sets and an exclusive for this wave. The summer wave last year was only five sets so I can't imagine there will be many sets in this wave either.

I've always been a fan of the summer waves and I don't like these small wave summer waves at all. Completely forgot about that set! Brickset mentioned that they heard an Unkar Plutt minifigure was being released. We shall see and thanks.

Here's a look at the new Homing Spider Droid set!

24380155785_521940d2bc_z.jpg

24271932462_2958647f62_z.jpg

24353946856_95fa1f833c_z.jpg

(all these figures are old, so I don't think a back view is needed)

It's definitely an improvement over the last version... they used black pins, so it's a thousand times more stable. And yes, I know the Droid bodies are on backwards. This is not the first time I've made this mistake. You can see that I love prequel sets for not noticing this. :grin:

Edited by just2good

Nice review - thank you posting it. If anything, the set does have some useful Technic pieces and Yoda. Probably still a pass unless there's absolutely nothing else going with Lego at the time I see it... which doesn't seem likely this year.

I like the mini spider droid (that rapier antenna! And the shooter for the front cannon!), and Yoda of course since I've still never managed to get one (outside of a pen or keychain, I think), but otherwise there's no real draw for me. The big spider droid tank looks kinda neat, but has never been an appealing vehicle/droid for me, so it'd just be a parts pack, and the BDs and Kashyyyk Trooper are boring as can be.

Nice review, not-so-nice set. I don't have a new movie Yoda, and very few of those quarter domes, so parts pack for me.

There was a rumored leak of a set called "Encounter on Jakku", however that set name might have come from the Resistance X-wing set.

Nah, Encounter on Jakku and the Resistance X-Wing are definitely two different sets.

I think the OT, PT, and ST will always be evergreen properties for Lucasfilm (who I believe along with Lego are still the ones calling the shots with the sets).

I'll also throw this out there; I don't thing it's completely out of the realm of possibility that these two "unknown" sets could be based on a Lego in-house project but are also using the characters from Aftermath to tell their own story.

Edited by Galactic13

I'll also throw this out there; I don't thing it's completely out of the realm of possibility that these two "unknown" sets could be based on a Lego in-house project but are also using the characters from Aftermath to tell their own story.

I thought we already knew that this is exactly what they are?

We know it's from some new Lego "adventures" property... I think we're only still guessing it's based on Aftermath, and that's mostly because of the kid (Temmin "Snap" Wexley, perhaps) and the Battle Droid (Mr. Bones, perhaps). Aftermath might feature "acolytes of the Beyond", but they weren't using lightsabers...just purchasing a supposed Vader saber in order to destroy it to reunite it with its master in death.

Just a thought, it looks like there's a robonino figure in the bushes with the x-wing set.

Just a thought, it looks like there's a robonino figure in the bushes with the x-wing set.

...what bushes? You mean the scrap of land there? Why would Robonino, a Clone Wars character who has no figure and isn't in the film, appear in that set? We can reasonably assume the minifigs are the flametrooper, Poe, Lor San Tekka (or a random villager), and BB-8. There's no Robonino-looking prelim minifig in the window on the left, so whatever that gray blob with the watermark overlapping it is, it's not Robonino.

We established that this is a strong possibility, we don't know for sure...