Chilly_Productions

Have you ever felt judged for liking LEGO?

I went to Argos (a UK retailer) a few months ago, when I went in and bought the Star Wars advent calendar, the woman serving me was giving me this "you're special, aren't you" kind of look, needless to say it was awkward.

Whenever I buy a set, even if I'm in the recommended age range for a particular set, I still get a weird look from the cashier.

I am a TFOL, and I know that AFOLs get it much worse, but AFOLs do have the advantage of other people assuming that they're buying it for their kid.

Before I just bought primarily Bionicle and Star Wars, but know that I'm interested in getting Nexo Knights sets, it's gonna get worse.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

-C. S. Lewis-

I admit, it sometimes feels a bit strange or odd, but hey - it is our money and hobby, we are free to like what we want and it is nothing to worry about :) Maybe the cashier has other hobbies that someone else would consider strange or whatsoever. If you feel uncomfortable just chose another store or go into the LEGO store. They love every customer:D

Yeah, I get a lot of strange looks when I browse Lego sets, almost 2 meters tall, 20 years old and dressed in all black with the long hair required for Metalheads... Between all the kids. But I don't care :laugh:

Lego is love, Lego is live

I don't get those looks from the cashier but I pray that I don't see a friend in the store. :grin:

But like KCMatze said above, its our money, so if this makes us happy, who cares what others think.

(Still, I'm always prepared with the excuse, "its my little cousin's birthday this week and this is his/her gift.") :wink::thumbup:

That's what amazon or S@H are for. No judging cashiers. ;)

(Still, I'm always prepared with the excuse, "its my little cousin's birthday this week and this is his/her gift.") :wink::thumbup:

Haha yep, you got to have that one ;) but my close friends do know, of course. As I have about 100 minifigures on display it would be hard not to recognise!

I get that look a lot.

At the end of the day Lego is a hobby, just like watching football, collecting stamps, collecting shoes, listening to a certain band etc. why should People who buy Lego be judged any differently?

I buy most of mine from the Lego store in Liverpool and the staff there know very clearly what's for me and what's for my daughter.

I moved house recently and one of the removal men said 'You're a bit old for Lego aren't you?'... so I obliged him with a 'No' accompanied by a 'just carry the f***ing box like I'm paying you to' look. I offer cashiers the same look if they try the 'special' look.

Lucky for me, I never got into this situation.

Once I was in a Toy Shop in Italy to buy a Castle set. They had the 7188 King Carriage and the big 10223 Kingdoms Joust. The first time I only picked up the Carriage, but after leaving the Shop I regretted not taking the Joust and went back to it half an hour later. The Cashier's reaction tho was really cute. She asked me if I collect LEGO, in which I replied with "yeah, thats what I'm doing" and she gave me a cheerful smile.

If you have a LEGO Shop in your area, buy it there. The Staff there is always nice to every customer. I know a LEGO Shop 2 hours away from my Hometown, so I just drive there once in a month, but I always meet the same Cashier there, he knows me now for about 2 years and always gives me some extras like twice of the Promotion articles you normally would get or so.

Edited by Dosenbrot

I'm new to this, so not much, yet. But I do Lego for therapy as much as for fun. I'm bipolar and also have anxiety issues and find that building clears my mind and helps. My therapist, however, judges it as an unhealthy obsession and a waste of money. I find him to be a fool on this issue. Other than that, which I largely ignore, I only deal with a bit of ribbing from my family.

After the first couple of purchases it stopping feeling awkward/ I stopped caring. I've also recently hit the age where sellers assume that the Lego is for my [non-existent] child. I think everyone has their own weird and unique hobby, collection or interest that they are into. If they don't, they are probably either lying or bored with their lives. The judgmental people tend to belong to the latter group.

The older you get, the less you care about what the cashier thinks. I don't think I ever felt odd buying LEGO even when I was in university.

My therapist, however, judges it as an unhealthy obsession and a waste of money. I find him to be a fool on this issue.

Yeah, whenever I say I play video games, nobody bats an eye, when I say that I still buy LEGO, people give me the "what?" kind of look.

Yeah, whenever I say I play video games, nobody bats an eye, when I say that I still buy LEGO, people give me the "what?" kind of look.

I don't understand this. Lego is essentially a model. When people say, adults say, that they build models, they don't get judged very harshly. What makes Lego so different? It has to be because they market to young children, too. Idc. I love building. It's fun and largely self explanatory. I think it's excellent.

Edited by Dopplercb

The older you get, the less you care about what the cashier thinks. I don't think I ever felt odd buying LEGO even when I was in university.

This! Although, thankfully I haven't cared what other people think for quite some time. If people actually say something (like ask me if I'm buying for a child) I tell them that I'm the LEGO collector in the family; I have some on display at work... a lot of people simply don't know what's out there. Luckily I work in a creative environment, and I'm not the only one with toys - mine just happen to be LEGO. I just gave a coworker a Mystery Machine (and got an extra Velma and Daphne) because I know she's a Scooby Doo fan... she loved it.

So with this, as well as other things in life, anyone that would think of me badly about something they obviously know little or nothing about isn't worth my concern.

Just ask for gift receipts! ;) Sure, I've felt judged once or twice, but like many have said, it's just another hobby. Heaven knows other people have weirder hobbies.....

Just ask for gift receipts! ;) Sure, I've felt judged once or twice, but like many have said, it's just another hobby. Heaven knows other people have weirder hobbies.....

This is a good idea. But I still don't understand why people judge Lego as a kids only toy.

I've got weird looks when I'm feeling the CMF bags

But then I stare at them like a creeper and they run away :laugh:

It never fails :laugh:

Waiting to read tips from a male AFOL who buys Friends sets on the regular. :wink:

This is a good idea. But I still don't understand why people judge Lego as a kids only toy.

Marketing has a lot to do with it.

Edited by Fritzy

Waiting to read tips from male AFOL who buys Friends sets on the regular. :wink:

Go to the store naked

No one will notice the LEGO Friends box

You're welcome

Edited by Robert8

"Man got arrested naked at LEGO store." Not the best header to read about yourself in the newspapers :D

Waiting to read tips from a male AFOL who buys Friends sets on the regular. :wink:

Just be confident of yourself. Grab the sets off the shelves and go pay. No problemo.

You can always say for your daughter or neice if you are not totally comfortable. :wink: