Sign in to follow this  
Electricsteam

Some Inglenook nonsense

Just some really strange things while looking at inglenooks....

My head is spinning at all the layers of this thing... I doubt this could transfer to lego N to G would be a huge jump

BWrPQCl.png

A mess of inmovable trains...

MPvI2Nv.jpg

A tranquil car conversion

WvbPuMi.png?1

The elevator from hell...

cZcN5ea.png?1

And last but not least.

A very nice picture of an old freight house

eXjA0FD.png?1

That freight house has got some tight turns! Looks like you found the real-life equivelent of an r40 curve!

Also, i cannot imagine how much attention you would have to pay to do anything with that huge tower of switching layout. That's ridiculously compact.

That freight house has got some tight turns! Looks like you found the real-life equivelent of an r40 curve!

Also, i cannot imagine how much attention you would have to pay to do anything with that huge tower of switching layout. That's ridiculously compact.

It looks like something that would be in a Lionel store.... I know the one over in Norfolk Va has a couple of layouts from HO (h)? to G scale I think there is a small N scale layout but its been a long while.

<Pedant> Strictly speaking, none of those are Inglenooks. An Inglenook follows a set of rules regarding space, track layout and so on. </Pedant>

However, there's some good ideas in there for compact layouts. I especially like the freight house and compact yard. I'm sure that is eminently buildable in LEGO and would be a great basis for a diorama with a small shunting engine.

I love that freight house! I wonder how functional that design was.....Judging by the box cars blocking the entrance, not very. If ever I did some form of layout (never will), I'd definitely have something inspired by that.

<Pedant> Strictly speaking, none of those are Inglenooks. An Inglenook follows a set of rules regarding space, track layout and so on. </Pedant>

Shoosh this is Lego we make our own rules!

I read inglenook was the space between a fireplace and a wall..... None of these count as inglenooks?

Edited by Electricsteam

That last freight house is pretty interesting, there's a whole website on it here: CNJ Bronx Terminal.

It had all sorts of crazy special trackwork, including a removable diamond for access to the engine shed for the single engine they had there. Another interesting point is that it's entirely separate from the rest of the network. All cars got there via carfloat barge across New York Harbor.

I think it'd be pretty impressive to see in Lego!

I love that freight house! I wonder how functional that design was.....Judging by the box cars blocking the entrance, not very. If ever I did some form of layout (never will), I'd definitely have something inspired by that.

An HO model of it has been constructed. Was a rather intensive process if I remember correctly as almost all the pointwork had to be constructed in one or two pieces.

It mustve been the smallest prototypical continuous run track work in the world.

I once found a modeller online that completely rebuilt the Bronx terminal in HO scale. All track hand laid, bent, filed and soldered. All the frogs hand built, ties laser cut and copper coated. Give me a moment and I'll supply a link. He had a YouTube series.

Edit: links

http://www.bronx-terminal.com - Blog

- Video

Track work is beautiful.

Edited by JayDee96

I once found a modeller online that completely rebuilt the Bronx terminal in HO scale. All track hand laid, bent, filed and soldered. All the frogs hand built, ties laser cut and copper coated. Give me a moment and I'll supply a link. He had a YouTube series.

Edit: links

http://www.bronx-terminal.com - Blog

- Video

Track work is beautiful.

How in the world............

My mind is hurting trying to figure out how they navigated that mess of tracks... Must've been like those old sliding puzzles...

I have an actual display table for an inglenook now! either 2 and a half plates or 2 large grey plates depending on if I modify the table!