Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

If you turn the gargantos monster from the Doctor Strange set 76205 upside down, you get what looks very much like a D&D beholder. Just add some eyes at the end of the tentacles and you’re done! :sweet:

highres_500581090.jpeg

Done - see here.

Edited by AmperZand
Added link

@Frike The recoloured owl is in the Hogwarts Magical Trunk set (76399), which is due for march. And I think you're right for the saddle - it definitely looks dark brown! 

I know stud shooters aren't always popular with AFOLs (least of all with historic builders) but looking at the new version of them in a set like 75321, I can't help but wonder if it could be used decoratively on a castles as cornices, downspouts, windows or parapets. They have a nice chunky geometric look to them that could be fun to use architecturally.

12 hours ago, AmperZand said:

f you turn the gargantos monster from the Doctor Strange set 76205 upside down, you get what looks very much like a D&D beholder. Just add some eyes at the end of the tentacles and you’re done! :sweet:

Ooooh, right! :excited:

The upcoming Ninjago set 71767 includes some very cool new recolors, like the fence piece 32932 in Reddish Brown and the 4x10 gate piece 87601 in Bright Red! The design of the bridge in that set is also very nice, even though it only uses existing pieces.

I also only just noticed the other day that the recently released Disney set The Madrigal House introduces a stand-alone silver fork piece (as opposed to the more brightly colored ones that appeared as part of the LEGO Friends kitchen accessories prepack from 2012). This fork nicely matches the silver spoon piece introduced in 2017, and also appears in a few of the recently revealed 2022 Friends sets.

I feel like this piece will be very useful for dining scenes in late medieval or post-medieval settings. It also has me hoping that we'll soon see a Silver Metallic/Flat Silver version of either the knife from the aforementioned kitchen accessories prepack or the sprue with two knives which has appeared in Warm Gold as recently as this year.

Also in the Disney theme, 43208 Jasmine & Mulan's Adventure includes the tail piece 67361, recolored in Reddish Brown for the first time as a palm tree trunk. I imagine it may also be useful for branches on other types of trees.

The new "splatter" tile from next year's City sets interests me a lot for decorative detail I can definitely imagine the bright yellowish green/lime ones being useful for moss or algae, and the tr. light blue ones being useful for puddles of water. I hope that in the future we'll see that part in a color like Reddish Brown that can be used for mud puddles or other sorts of muck and grime.

The Minecraft set 21183 The Training Grounds includes an unusual but potentially very useful part — a 1x1x2/3 brick with a hollow stud. In that set it's used as a square candle, which would also be a valid use for it in other themes. But I'll be interested to see it in more detail once reviews show up so I can get a sense of what other uses it might have.

I was browsing around Bricklink looking at minis and I went to look at how much peasant figs are going for.  I was thinking about adding some because my display is getting bigger and ... OMG!  Any store that has 5 or more are going for 20+ US dollars each.  I don't think I will be adding more at these type of prices.

I have to admit, I already have a LOT of civilian figs.  I am glad I bought hundreds of them in bulk back when they were $5 and less per fig.  Not having castle for such a long time is really driving prices up.

1 hour ago, DaleDVM said:

I was browsing around Bricklink looking at minis and I went to look at how much peasant figs are going for.  I was thinking about adding some because my display is getting bigger and ... OMG!  Any store that has 5 or more are going for 20+ US dollars each.  I don't think I will be adding more at these type of prices.

I have to admit, I already have a LOT of civilian figs.  I am glad I bought hundreds of them in bulk back when they were $5 and less per fig.  Not having castle for such a long time is really driving prices up.

I’ve noticed the same.  They really kicked up in price about 6 months ago.  I’ve been scooping them up every time I see a decent deal…which is getting less and less.  Lego needs to get more medieval civilians….the new bard is a good start.

1 hour ago, Csc167 said:

What set is the new dark orange horse in?

60327: Horse Transporter and the foal is in CMF series 22 :grin:

60327-1.jpg?202109060928

71032-5.jpg?202112021137

Edited by Roebuck

13 hours ago, DaleDVM said:

no wonder the price went up if you bought hundreds :)

haha, I have only two... welp

Horse in a new color is nice, but what's even more interesting is the return of the saddle hopefully not just for a 1 time thing.

IDEAS blacksmith horse didn't have a saddle included.

Still secretly hoping for an Xtra polybag with a horse, saddle and some sword/shield/helmet in it (like the pirate accesoires had a shark/parrot/fish) , and sports had a bow/target.

Edited by TeriXeri

11 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Horse in a new color is nice, but what's even more interesting is the return of the saddle hopefully not just for a 1 time thing.

IDEAS blacksmith horse didn't have a saddle included.

Still secretly hoping for an Xtra polybag with a horse, saddle and some sword/shield/helmet in it (like the pirate accesoires had a shark/parrot/fish) , and sports had a bow/target.

Having it in reddish brown is a bonus too.  I have way to many in red, blue, and yellow….lol.

After having a closer look at the saddle, it looks to me as if is a new mould too! Don't the clips on the side look more like the newer O-shaped clips? I find it difficult to get used saddles with no broken clips, so I really hope that is the case.

5 hours ago, Frike said:

After having a closer look at the saddle, it looks to me as if is a new mould too! Don't the clips on the side look more like the newer O-shaped clips? I find it difficult to get used saddles with no broken clips, so I really hope that is the case.

Wow, good eye! That does look like it might be a saddle update, though I'm not 100% sure—I think I only have the oldest variety of saddle myself and Brickset says that there was an update in 2013–2016 sets, so this could be that version maybe.

Either way I do think that's a new COLOR of saddle—Dark Brown! That should be a good color especially since it doesn't match any existing horse color exactly (allowing you to, for instance, have a brown horse with a brown saddle without it blending in too much).

23 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Wow, good eye! That does look like it might be a saddle update, though I'm not 100% sure—I think I only have the oldest variety of saddle myself and Brickset says that there was an update in 2013–2016 sets, so this could be that version maybe.

Either way I do think that's a new COLOR of saddle—Dark Brown! That should be a good color especially since it doesn't match any existing horse color exactly (allowing you to, for instance, have a brown horse with a brown saddle without it blending in too much).

I pointed out in another thread (actually just the previous page) that it looks Dark Brown too, very useful colour! :)

I actually had no idea that there were already two variants, I have only ever seen the ones with thin clips. BrickLink has a comparison image too, and this upcoming saddle looks like the one with the thicker clip (that which I called O-clip). Looking through the sets I only really see the thicker clips in two sets: UCS Hoth from 2016 and possibly a Scooby-Doo set from 2015. The return of a saddle is long overdue either way haha!

Edited by Frike

On 12/7/2021 at 8:19 PM, DaleDVM said:

Some of the big German BL sellers were selling the torsos for about $1 US back in 2012. Luckily I bought loads then. I hadn't used about half of what I bought, so they were a decent investment.  I've sold most in the past year.

A catalog picture of a Classic set 11018 has a microbuild of a viking ship with some gold accents, and  red/white sail and red/white/green shields (round 2x2 plates).

Perhaps a preview of the 3-in-1 viking ship colors (green makes a lot of sense for alternate builds)

Edited by TeriXeri

I didn't see this posted previously but LEGO has listed the CMF 22 series on their site: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/series-22-71032

Seeing a high-res version of the Bard makes me all the more excited for him. Wish he didn't have those stripes, but I'm sure my Forestmen will still welcome him with open arms.

And the "Forrest Elf" comes with a sweet cape that I'm sure will be great for MOCs. Too bad we can't order just the cape.

image.png.4f64a9420c00c97073d0c0e1c55d99a4.png

Edited by CallMeCarbiz

10 hours ago, CallMeCarbiz said:

And the "Forrest Elf" comes with a sweet cape that I'm sure will be great for MOCs.

Nice, oak leaf :classic:

17 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Nice, oak leaf :classic:

Yes could be quite useful for various purposes.  I can't wait to get these figs.  

On 12/8/2021 at 12:36 AM, Roebuck said:

60327: Horse Transporter and the foal is in CMF series 22 :grin:

60327-1.jpg?202109060928

71032-5.jpg?202112021137

Thank you! I’m excited 

For Christmas I’m getting the Queer Eye - Fab 5 loft. Among other parts it  has 85 white masonry bricks, which I think is a new colour and will be handy. It has a 2x2 crate in black, this printed tile and I imagine some minifigs might be handy - Jonathan’s moustachioed head and Tan’s hair comes to mind!

10291-1.png

Edited by Eyrezer

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The Night Protector (aka Moon Warrior) comes with 2 trans purple swords

That's nice, but tbh I'm more excited that the forest boy comes with two mushrooms, that makes life easier ;)