Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

Dragon’s Keep looks great as a MOC, but I hope Lego will improve it if they release it. Unfortunately no animals, do they not have horses in D&D? At least the minifigs have a lot of potential. It depends on the budget they give the set and how it end up looking so will wait and see before I decide if I should get it :shrug_oh_well:

Castle in the Forest was a "set" I did not end up buying because the design budget was zero, hope this will get a better budget like the 90 year castle :sceptic:

I voted for Dragon's Keep, and thinking back on it, I did end up picking it because of the minifig lineup

The minifig options will really influence my interest here.  I'm not really moved by the brick built dragon or the beholder, I have more than enough brickbuilt dragons from other series, like Ninjago and Harry Potter.

Edited by Triceron

10 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Castle in the Forest was a "set" I did not end up buying because the design budget was zero, hope this will get a better budget like the 90 year castle :sceptic:

I loved Castle in the Forest! Design budget or not, it has been one of my favorite builds of all time. The building experience was amazing and I love the look!

11 hours ago, azog said:

I loved Castle in the Forest! Design budget or not, it has been one of my favorite builds of all time. The building experience was amazing and I love the look!

Same, It is one of my favorite sets and displayed with pride. It was fun to help with the development process, and I got lucky when ordering. 

12 hours ago, JimBaggins said:

Same, It is one of my favorite sets and displayed with pride. It was fun to help with the development process, and I got lucky when ordering. 

Wait, how did you help with the development process?

4 hours ago, Shroffy123 said:

2023 ninjago sets revealed. New weapon pieces and armour that'll fit well with castle theme. 

I just went through those photos, and I'm not seeing anything that would translate. I see a plain round shield, a goofy, chunky sword and a hama, which might fit with an asian historic vibe, but isn't much use for castle. As for armor, all I see is the single-shoulder pauldron piece that is hopefully pearl dark grey, which would be nice, but nothing to get too excited about. I would love to be wrong about this. What are you seeing that I'm not?

1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

I just went through those photos, and I'm not seeing anything that would translate. I see a plain round shield, a goofy, chunky sword and a hama, which might fit with an asian historic vibe, but isn't much use for castle. As for armor, all I see is the single-shoulder pauldron piece that is hopefully pearl dark grey, which would be nice, but nothing to get too excited about. I would love to be wrong about this. What are you seeing that I'm not?

Isn't the helmet in this set new? It looks different 

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/jay-s-titan-mech-71785

Idk, I am like the bone weapons. I can already picture the necromancer army ill be making 😁

32 minutes ago, Shroffy123 said:

Isn't the helmet in this set new? It looks different 

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/jay-s-titan-mech-71785

Idk, I am like the bone weapons. I can already picture the necromancer army ill be making 😁

You mean the one on the far left of that first image? Introduced this year for the summer Ninjago sets! So far it comes in gunmetal and warm gold. It fits visors though I haven't tested for castle-y ones yet to see how they look.

48 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

The upcoming Thor has a shorter version of the Elven spear in pearl gold.

Are you sure? I saw just one picture on instagram and it looks like Thor holds the same spear as Loki in the frame below which appears to be normal length as far as i can tell.

53 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

The upcoming Thor has a shorter version of the Elven spear in pearl gold.

4 minutes ago, sahidko said:

Are you sure? I saw just one picture on instagram and it looks like Thor holds the same spear as Loki in the frame below which appears to be normal length as far as i can tell.

There is only one spear in the set, since it represents Loki's sceptre from the first Avengers movie; the part appears to be the existing one. 

Just noticed the Rocket Raccoon mech in the Marvel theme has a Reddish Brown Western/Aquazone bush as its tail, which could be great for scenery.

On 11/30/2022 at 10:02 AM, azog said:

Wait, how did you help with the development process?

Chatting on the Bricklink page with the designer about changes to make it work with the designer program, mostly replacements for retired pieces and figuring out the minifigs with the limited parts available. I didn't really influence things at all, but got to see a large part of the design process and changes before the crowdfunding. 

https://www.bricklink.com/r3/designer-program/designer-sets-for-adult-fans-of-lego/215665/Castle-in-the-Forest 

Of the new sets revealed today, here's some stuff that seems like it might have utility in historic themes:

• As far as animal molds go, set 60369 includes a new German Shepherd/Alsatian puppy mold, and set 60394 includes TWO otters! The latter could also probably be used to represent other mustelids like minks or weasels with a similar coat color. The hare from this year's Mission sets also appears in multiple new sets which might make it a little less expensive in the aftermarket.
  • Minecraft has a funky new 2x2 container/frame piece in set 21246, and as soon as I saw it my first thought was what a great base it would make for furniture such as chairs, stools, and side tables if flipped over!
  • Set 88004 from LEGO Monkie Kid has loads of great landscaping and architectural parts in subdued colors, much like the Temple of Airjitzu or The Legendary Flower Fruit Mountain before it. Some great weapons, animals, and accessories, too.

EDIT: I just saw an image of the polybag set 30656 Monkey King Marketplace, and with it I noticed something else about both it and 88004: the market stalls in these sets are almost identical in design to the one from 10305 Lion Knights' Castle! I wonder if they're from the same designer or it's just meant to be an reference/homage to that build.

Edited by Aanchir

At the risk of stating the patently obvious, set 76244 contains a great vampire minifigure. It’s actually the Morbius character from the Marvel universe but can serve as a vampire in any fantasy/fantasy-horror MOC.

6 hours ago, AmperZand said:

At the risk of stating the patently obvious, set 76244 contains a great vampire minifigure. It’s actually the Morbius character from the Marvel universe but can serve as a vampire in any fantasy/fantasy-horror MOC.

Haha, obvious but true! :classic:

7 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

Brickheads‘ Aragorn‘s printed tile crown will make a fine shield (for my Gergoyle army).

Did you misspell Gargoyle or is it a new creature you created?

19 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

A Gergoyle is a German Gargoyle. 

No, just a typing error. 

Interesting didn't know that.  Does your gargoyle army consist of the CMF one or the ones from Nexo Knights or is it a custom?

16 hours ago, Wardancer said:

CMF Gargoyles with painted custom parts, like this one for example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63704134@N07/49450325952/

OK I remember those now.  Thanks for your reply.  I only have about 10 of the CMF gargoyles and 6 of the Nexo Knights ones.  I'm hoping lego does more gargoyles in the future.  

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/queer-eye-the-fab-5-loft-10291

Kind of a odd question, but what do people think of the Fab 5 set that's been on discount for months now?  It looks like a decent source for white and gray bricks, and overall the price is good per-piece.  Not much else to it though.

I'm not sure if it'd be better just to get the bricks off PAB or Brickowl/Bricklink instead.  Thoughts?