Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

23 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

Do we think the green bushel on top of the carrot can be taken off to make a new plant?

No, but I hope it is and comes in other sets :sceptic:

The falconer looks great! I'm a little unsure how to feel about her having a bow but no quiver, but with a little imagination, I suppose she could be teaching her falcon to retrieve arrows for her as a training exercise.

The bright red hair is certainly very vibrant, but to me it sorta echoes of all the 90s Castle figs with Bright Red printed facial hair. In that regard, I wouldn't mind seeing more red-haired and red-bearded Castle figs in the future!

The torso and leg patterns are phenomenal, as we've come to expect in the blind bag series. And the falcon is a fantastic new mold with outstanding printing. I can imagine many new prints for it in the future to represent different raptor species.

I definitely feel keen on getting her to accompany the Black Falcons from the Lion Knights' Castle and Medieval Blacksmith!

Now that we have high res images, I couldn't be more happy with this Archer/Falconer. The left arm printing for the falconer glove is just sublime.

On the Troll/Orc, I think it's fantastic and I will be getting many, but I can't help but feel that the heraldry on the shield, while thematically appropriate, is inferior to the old fantasy era heraldry. It just feels a tad cartoony in it's style.

8 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

On the Troll/Orc, I think it's fantastic and I will be getting many, but I can't help but feel that the heraldry on the shield, while thematically appropriate, is inferior to the old fantasy era heraldry. It just feels a tad cartoony in it's style.

Agree 100%

After Series 16, the CMFs started to feel more cartoony and  j uniorized 

Series 20 is probably the most childlish looking yet

I think what's really interesting is that the Black Falcon CMF is the first real continuation of a Classic Castle.  Every other Castle-related CMF we had seemed to be merely homaging the Castle series, but they weren't really tied directly to the original factions like this one is.  The Rogue merely had a Wolfpack badge but otherwise isn't really Wolfpack, and we had stuff like the Fright Knight that homaged the Fright Knights but otherwise was a standalone figure and not integrated into the Fright Knights series.  Even the recent 'Knight of the Yellow Castle' is a girl pretending to be a Knight, with a toy horse-on-a-stick. Here, we have a direct CMF that isn't just homaging Black Falcons, but is clearly an official Black Falcon character.

I'm quite excited about this for the future of Castle tie ins through CMF.  I'll just be very skeptical of the blind boxes moving forward.

Edited by Triceron

8 minutes ago, Triceron said:

I think what's really interesting is that the Black Falcon CMF is the first real continuation of a Classic Castle.  Every other Castle-related CMF we had seemed to be merely homaging the Castle series, but they weren't really tied directly to the original factions like this one is.  The Rogue merely had a Wolfpack badge but otherwise isn't really Wolfpack, and we had stuff like the Fright Knight that homaged the Fright Knights but otherwise was a standalone figure and not integrated into the Fright Knights series.  Even the recent 'Knight of the Yellow Castle' is a girl pretending to be a Knight, with a toy horse-on-a-stick. Here, we have a direct CMF that isn't just homaging Black Falcons, but is clearly an official Black Falcon character.

I'm quite excited about this for the future of Castle tie ins through CMF.  I'll just be very skeptical of the blind boxes moving forward.

I would say the "Heroic Knight" with the Crownie heraldry would qualify as a real continuation. Not truly classic though, so your point is well taken.

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Agree 100%

After Series 16, the CMFs started to feel more cartoony and  j uniorized 

Series 20 is probably the most childlish looking yet

I think you’re onto something. As far as historic figs go, I think the peaked with the Rogue CMF. 

Redrew the New Orc Shield in vector if anyone wants to make custom decals...

New Orc Shield

Edited by natesroom

19 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Nicely done! I must say, the “stretched hide” detail is pretty cool. 

I see this shield (and the fig it belongs to) and my mind right away goes to World of Warcraft's orcs and the faction they help lead's (The Horde) symbol. Makes me wonder why we haven't seen anything like that before, or why WoW LEGO isn't a thing. Oh wait, Kreo (I think?) had the license last, and oh yeah, the game is made by Blizzard and both it and WoW have gone REALLY downhill from what my research tells me. (It's more toxic than Chernobyl circa 1986 and nobody in their right mind is gonna touch it.)

Basically, my point is if it's not happening in any official capacity (I.E an actual license), maybe we could consider this an *wink and a nod*-type homage?

Edited by Murdoch17

I think the 'Moon Warrior' CMF we had earlier this year was quite an obvious reference to Night Elves in Warcraft.

It does make me wish they made rideable versions of panthers or lions.

D&D on Ideas are open for voting and for me one of the sets looks more compatible with Caste minifigs scale so will vote for that and think it has a fair chance of winning. So we might end up another big Castle set next year :excited:

44 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

D&D on Ideas are open for voting and for me one of the sets looks more compatible with Caste minifigs scale...

I voted for DRAGON'S KEEP as well. I don't know one thing about D&D, but this set looks great!

I kinda expected more creature builds here.  I knew Mimics and beholders would be popular, but expected an owlbear to make a vote at least.

I'm confused on this D&D voting. Did they select only a handful of submissions for voting? There were lots more submitted, at least a few of which I thought were at least as good or better than the 5 that we can vote on.

3 hours ago, SirBlake said:

I'm confused on this D&D voting. Did they select only a handful of submissions for voting? There were lots more submitted, at least a few of which I thought were at least as good or better than the 5 that we can vote on.

Yes, there were loads. But they chose just five so have had significant input into the winner.

1 minute ago, MAB said:

Yes, there were loads. But they chose just five so have had significant input into the winner.

I can't even find the ones we are allowed to vote on. When I go to their voting page I'm greeted by 621 results, but all of them say "This entry did not advance past the phase." - what am I doing wrong!?

6 hours ago, Frike said:

I can't even find the ones we are allowed to vote on. When I go to their voting page I'm greeted by 621 results, but all of them say "This entry did not advance past the phase." - what am I doing wrong!?

I just googled “Lego Dungeons & Dragons” and this was the first organic result:

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/376f06d7-3f99-4b00-8865-178ab877d9be

Here’s another question: on what criteria are you voting?

I love the execution on the Dragon’s Keep, but the concept of the Monster Manual is great, I just don’t love how it’s done. Not that I could do better, but I think it has a lot of potential. We all know that the final product is often changed quite a bit by the time it’s released, and I think Lego designers could really run with that idea.

So am I better off voting for the concept or the one that’s already the most beautiful?

26 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

I just googled “Lego Dungeons & Dragons” and this was the first organic result:

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/376f06d7-3f99-4b00-8865-178ab877d9be

Here’s another question: on what criteria are you voting?

I love the execution on the Dragon’s Keep, but the concept of the Monster Manual is great, I just don’t love how it’s done. Not that I could do better, but I think it has a lot of potential. We all know that the final product is often changed quite a bit by the time it’s released, and I think Lego designers could really run with that idea.

So am I better off voting for the concept or the one that’s already the most beautiful?

For me, I'm voting for 1) visually appealing, 2) what my kids will have playing with 3) and parts. 

Dragons keep journeys end hits all those for me, so I'll vote for it.