Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

4 hours ago, Metanoios said:

The Viking helmet from CMF series 20 appears as a recolour in gun metal grey in the upcoming Sanctum Sanctorum set (can be seen in the promo images on the upper most floor as one of the decorations of various magical artifacts). The Lion Knight's castle also features a new 1x4x3 arch piece in LBG and finally dark green leaf pieces

You’ve got some good eyes! I had to go back and double check.  If these parts make it to Online PAB eventually, then this would be our first chance to get this mould in bulk.  Awesome!

the helmets are great! I picked some up from a bricklink seller a couple months ago, knew they were legit once I had them in hand, then was very confused when they weren’t included in the Viking ship set

I really like the CMF yellow castle knight fig. I wonder if they have printing underneath their armor that could be useful for castle figs? Could go either way—as a "costume party" fig with a toy horse it could easily have a plain torso or one with a less historic print, but they could go the extra mile and give them a castle-y torso print as well. I suppose we won't know until reviews start showing up.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I really like the CMF yellow castle knight fig. I wonder if they have printing underneath their armor that could be useful for castle figs? Could go either way—as a "costume party" fig with a toy horse it could easily have a plain torso or one with a less historic print, but they could go the extra mile and give them a castle-y torso print as well. I suppose we won't know until reviews start showing up.

Yup, that’s the big question with that one. Could be awesome like the CMF Fright Knight, could be nothing. Fingers crossed. 

On 6/1/2022 at 5:02 PM, MAB said:

LEGO-Build-a-Minifigure-Knights-and-Pira

It isn't a set. It is made from parts from Build A Minifigure. 

I got them! What legs should I get so that they fit well with my Black Falcons?

They didn't provide the silver helmets? :doh1:

I suggest you wait a couple months and check out the new Lion Knight legs.
Or, if you have one already, try out the new Falcon legs to see if it fits with the silver arms of the torso.

Recent July had set 43205: Ultimate Adventure Castle release from Disney. 

Main interesting part would be the classic castle balcony in white, 

6405558.jpg

While not new (it was also back in Systar Starship from 2019 LEGO Movie), it's still a useful part for Pirate builders especially.

Also the second set to contain rounded grey wall panel.

6391500.jpg

Printed 6390694.jpgcould be useful as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 6/28/2022 at 8:43 AM, Captain_SoyBeard said:

I got them! What legs should I get so that they fit well with my Black Falcons?

If you're looking for modifications, I swapped out the arms with maroon colored arms to better match their maroon tunic. Makes for a more vibrant minifigure. 

52107598993_c1b6d59b60_k.jpg

13 minutes ago, durazno33 said:

If you're looking for modifications, I swapped out the arms with maroon colored arms to better match their maroon tunic. Makes for a more vibrant minifigure. 

52107598993_c1b6d59b60_k.jpg

That looks really good. 

For myself, I just put pearl dark grey kettle helms on them to make them archers. They go better with the BF’s that I put pearl dark grey conical helmets on. Otherwise, the red doesn’t bother me at all. 

22 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Otherwise, the red doesn’t bother me at all. 

They are called the black falcons, but only a few have been black, most of them blue and now we got some red ones. It is not like the forestmen have the same color either :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Roebuck

Speaking of Black Falcon colors, I do appreciate how the Lion Knights Castle gives them black helmets again (since in the original Black Falcons sets most of the figs wore black helmets). The silver of the blacksmith set didn't necessarily look bad but the black helmets do help to give the new set a little more classic charm.

I'm not sure how well black helmets would work with these Build-a-Mini torsos, since they aren't as dark as the Black Falcon torsos and legs introduced with the Medieval Blacksmith. I think if I get one of these new torsos I might give them a silver or grey helmet as an analogue for the single grey-helmeted knight in the Black Falcon's Fortress (who also used red for their plume and hips and might be intended to be some sort of leader or commander).

Yep , that grey helmed, red plumed bugger from the falcon’s fortress has really thrown me. Unsure whether he should be dismembered and distributed amongst the rest of the factions or just left in a bag with the instructions…

Have the same problem with the black helmed Lion knights…

On topic, failed to find the new Falcons in the Brighton Lego store. Beat I could manage was the torso of the new wizard (who’ll be used to replace the feeble Majisto in August).

Anyone in the UK actually found these new Falcons?

1 hour ago, Rjbricks said:

Anyone in the UK actually found these new Falcons?

I've not seen any as yet, although a couple of UK sellers on bricklink do have some so they might have started to show up. When multiple sellers in the UK have them it is a good indication that they are more widely available.

Edited by MAB

2 hours ago, Rjbricks said:

Yep , that grey helmed, red plumed bugger from the falcon’s fortress has really thrown me. Unsure whether he should be dismembered and distributed amongst the rest of the factions or just left in a bag with the instructions…

TBH I wouldn't worry about plumes and capes in old-school not being strictly "color-coded" to their respective factions.

I mean, despite all the complaints/confusion I've seen about that new torso from Build-A-Mini not being a good fit for the Black Falcons because of the red cape and silver armor, I feel I ought to point out that in 6073 Knight's Castle/Black Knight's Castle, the leader of the Black Falcons — named the Black Knight in the UK and Ridder Jan Swartegeest (Sir John Blackghost) in the Netherlands — had a red plume, cape, and hips — and in fact, LOADS of Black Falcon minifigures back then had red hips and/or silver breastplates.

For that matter, in 6021 Jousting Knights / Sir Richard and the Black Knight, the black knight's tournament garb included a red tunic under his silver breastplate. I realize, of course, that "Black Knight" was sometimes used as a generic term for "mystery challengers" in tournaments, but in UK print media of the 80s like the Spring 1984 issue of Bricks & Pieces Magazine, it was unambiguously treated as the name/title of a specific character. So it seems that to classic set designers, the color red was 100% "Black Falcon Approved".

As far as helmet colors are concerned, old-school Black Falcons sets generally used grey helmets to differentiate the Black Knight/Jan Swartegeest from other, more generic mounted knights. After all, back in the days before minifigures had varied facial features, this sort of color-coding was the main way to differentiate characters on an individual basis.

If you were so inclined, you could likewise use silver helmets as a sort of rank signifier for modern Black Falcon knight minifigures — for instance, using black helmets specifically for knights and soldiers in the Black Falcon lord's honor guard/inner circle, and silver for other knights and soldiers that swear fealty to them. But of course, if you do prefer more uniformity, swapping helmets is never much trouble — especially since black helmets are hardly difficult to come by!

On the subject of named Black Falcon characters: not only was the Black Knight still identified as the leader of the Black Falcons in later UK print media and set names (like 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress/Castle Draco and the Black Knight), but he ALSO was identified in the Spring 1988 issue of Bricks & Pieces Magazine as the lord/ruler of 6085 Black Monarch's Castle/The Black Fortress! And in fact, the photograph on that page replaces his Black Knight shield from that set with an older Black Falcon set, making the implied continuity even more overt.

It's not hard to imagine that at least in the UK, the bearded Black Knight leader from sets 6009 Black Knight and 6086 Black Knights' Castle was probably meant to be understood as portrayals of the same character. After all, underneath all that armor, all those minifigures still have the same torso and hips as their earlier Black Falcon counterpart! For that matter, the minifigure from 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost/The Haunted Tower resembles an intermediate form between these character designs — with the traditional plume and generic smiley face of the classic Black Knight minifigure, but the molded breastplate and hinged helmet of the later one.

A similar case could be made for the Crusader/Lion Knight leader from 1984 — named Sir Richard in the UK, Ridder Pieter van Blankevoort (Sir Peter Whiteford) in the Netherlands, and Prinz Löwenherz (Prince Lionheart) in Germany — and the Royal Knights' king — named King Richard the Lion Heart in the UK, Koning Leeuwenhart (King Lionheart) in the Netherlands, and König Richard Löwenherz (King Richard Lionheart) in Germany.

In this case, the character design shows fewer similarities aside from both using lion heraldry and a red torso, but the similar character names strongly imply a connection. The Lion Knights and Royal Knights were also both branded as Leeuwenhart Ridders (Lionheart Knights) in some Dutch catalogs.

Apologies for rambling. This is all just stuff I've found interesting while browsing online scans/photos of vintage LEGO publications from around the world.

26 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

A similar case could be made for the Crusader/Lion Knight leader from 1984 — named Sir Richard in the UK, Ridder Pieter van Blankevoort (Sir Peter Whiteford) in the Netherlands, and Prinz Löwenherz (Prince Lionheart) in Germany — and the Royal Knights' king — named King Richard the Lion Heart in the UK, Koning Leeuwenhart (King Lionheart) in the Netherlands, and König Richard Löwenherz (King Richard Lionheart) in Germany.

In this case, the character design shows fewer similarities aside from both using lion heraldry and a red torso, but the similar character names strongly imply a connection. The Lion Knights and Royal Knights were also both branded as Leeuwenhart Ridders (Lionheart Knights) in some Dutch catalogs.

Apologies for rambling. This is all just stuff I've found interesting while browsing online scans/photos of vintage LEGO publications from around the world.

Love this info, recent yesterday discussion was about how Forestmen/Vrijbuiters/Forest People/Robin Hood names were used for the same theme , and this Richard Lionheart thing is very interesting as well.

I already made a link between the 2 lion factions as being the same in my personal imagination, but this Sir Richard, and then King Richard is quite interesting.

I don't have a lot of old Castle sets, biggest was Royal Drawbridge + the King set from 1995, royal knights still has one of my favorite shield logos.

Edited by TeriXeri

56 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

TBH I wouldn't worry about plumes and capes in old-school not being strictly "color-coded" to their respective factions.

I mean, despite all the complaints/confusion I've seen about that new torso from Build-A-Mini not being a good fit for the Black Falcons because of the red cape and silver armor, I feel I ought to point out that in 6073 Knight's Castle/Black Knight's Castle, the leader of the Black Falcons — named the Black Knight in the UK and Ridder Jan Swartegeest (Sir John Blackghost) in the Netherlands — had a red plume, cape, and hips — and in fact, LOADS of Black Falcon minifigures back then had red hips and/or silver breastplates.

For that matter, in 6021 Jousting Knights / Sir Richard and the Black Knight, the black knight's tournament garb included a red tunic under his silver breastplate. I realize, of course, that "Black Knight" was sometimes used as a generic term for "mystery challengers" in tournaments, but in UK print media of the 80s like the Spring 1984 issue of Bricks & Pieces Magazine, it was unambiguously treated as the name/title of a specific character. So it seems that to classic set designers, the color red was 100% "Black Falcon Approved".

As far as helmet colors are concerned, old-school Black Falcons sets generally used grey helmets to differentiate the Black Knight/Jan Swartegeest from other, more generic mounted knights. After all, back in the days before minifigures had varied facial features, this sort of color-coding was the main way to differentiate characters on an individual basis.

If you were so inclined, you could likewise use silver helmets as a sort of rank signifier for modern Black Falcon knight minifigures — for instance, using black helmets specifically for knights and soldiers in the Black Falcon lord's honor guard/inner circle, and silver for other knights and soldiers that swear fealty to them. But of course, if you do prefer more uniformity, swapping helmets is never much trouble — especially since black helmets are hardly difficult to come by!

On the subject of named Black Falcon characters: not only was the Black Knight still identified as the leader of the Black Falcons in later UK print media and set names (like 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress/Castle Draco and the Black Knight), but he ALSO was identified in the Spring 1988 issue of Bricks & Pieces Magazine as the lord/ruler of 6085 Black Monarch's Castle/The Black Fortress! And in fact, the photograph on that page replaces his Black Knight shield from that set with an older Black Falcon set, making the implied continuity even more overt.

It's not hard to imagine that at least in the UK, the bearded Black Knight leader from sets 6009 Black Knight and 6086 Black Knights' Castle was probably meant to be understood as portrayals of the same character. After all, underneath all that armor, all those minifigures still have the same torso and hips as their earlier Black Falcon counterpart! For that matter, the minifigure from 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost/The Haunted Tower resembles an intermediate form between these character designs — with the traditional plume and generic smiley face of the classic Black Knight minifigure, but the molded breastplate and hinged helmet of the later one.

Cool info, thanks

I have my own internal head-canon where certain factions wear certain things.

My main concern is if I get hit by a bus and my wife sells everything not realising she’d get more if all the minifigs are correct!

If course, if she knew that, she’d realise how much I’ve spent! And if she realised how much I’ve spent on vintage castle, she’d probably push me in front of a bus….

Is it me or does the new knight in the cmf 23 series have a new armour type? Shoulder pauldrons look different.

(Having trouble uploading a photo on the phone).

1 hour ago, Rjbricks said:

Is it me or does the new knight in the cmf 23 series have a new armour type? Shoulder pauldrons look different.

(Having trouble uploading a photo on the phone).

I didn't know CMF Series 23 had been announced (you can see them on LEGO S@H for anybody else). There is definitely something that looks awkward about the shoulders in the CGI images, but the real-life picture makes it look normal I think.

Edited by Frike

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2022/07/20/four-new-lego-avatar-sets-revealed-at-san-diego-comic-con-news/

Wondering what people think about the new Avatar 2 sets, and if there's any creative use of the new parts to make fantasy creatures or settings.

I'm not too sure what I'd do with the minifigures, but the flying creatures look like they could be great heads for some Wyverns or Dragons, or maybe even a Hydra.

9 hours ago, Triceron said:

Wondering what people think about the new Avatar 2 sets, and if there's any creative use of the new parts to make fantasy creatures or settings.

I'm not too sure what I'd do with the minifigures, but the flying creatures look like they could be great heads for some Wyverns or Dragons, or maybe even a Hydra.

Hmmmm...I can't say I'm thrilled by those new sets. I agree with you that the brickbuilt creatures could look good in a fantasy setting, but I'm not entirely convinced by their design. Something with the wings. I'm pretty sure we'll see great MOCs using their parts though!

Aside from that, I do like the vegetation in those sets: quite inspiring and featuring nice recolored parts. I need glow in dark carrots!

Edited by Aurore

On 7/7/2022 at 11:10 AM, Rjbricks said:

Cool info, thanks

I have my own internal head-canon where certain factions wear certain things.

My main concern is if I get hit by a bus and my wife sells everything not realising she’d get more if all the minifigs are correct!

If course, if she knew that, she’d realise how much I’ve spent! And if she realised how much I’ve spent on vintage castle, she’d probably push me in front of a bus….

I actually lol'd at this 😂 

12 hours ago, Triceron said:

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2022/07/20/four-new-lego-avatar-sets-revealed-at-san-diego-comic-con-news/

The vegetation for fantasy settings, but not much else for me.

The new Avatar sets include the long minifig legs (from Toy Story initially) in dark tan. Besides being useful for my dryad faction, this can maybe make some very tall civilians, maybe the drunk town giant of something. 

From the new creatures the Toruk‘s head looks the most interesting. I could imagine making some new beast from it, but I see everything from s customizer‘s perspective. Also I am going to slap some wings onto the new 6-legged horse and male a weird pegasus for my dark elves.

I have to say I'm always jealous of all these other themes getting brand new molds while the time has 'passed' for Castle to get the same treatment.  There's so much potential in having modular animal parts if they ever got around to designing them.  Swappable heads for different animals would make for some really cool mount variations.