Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

8 minutes ago, MAB said:

The green forestman hat is coming back in the new cactus / succulents set. That should help bring the price down.

Ooh very nice! Shame it probably won't be coming out for ages on the updated B&P/PaB, but 4 to a $50 set should help with Bricklink prices. And perhaps it foreshadows inclusion in the 90th anniversary set, although the botanical sets do tend to come with recolors that stay unique so I don't think it's guaranteed or anything.

16 hours ago, timemail said:

This torso is now available (in beta in some regions) in the Build-a-mini section of the Lego site (which was mentioned with some more pictures in the Lion Castle rumour thread).

It's a beautiful piece and I was very excited to find it at my local Lego store last month, but the color makes it a little less useful for population building en masse than, say, dark tan or medium nougat would be. Or olive green :moar:. Still, for young kids visiting the store who will probably only get one pack of three figs, I think the lavender is quite nice, and it's muted enough to not clash in a village setup. I wouldn't even mind seeing the exact same print re-used with only a color swap, I just crave more peasants and townsfolk!

19 hours ago, MAB said:

The green forestman hat is coming back in the new cactus / succulents set. That should help bring the price down.

That set does have some nice pieces.  

Build a minifig already offline? Cant find it anymore where it was

also the squirrels? Cant find them at b&p…

Edited by unclejeffie

On 4/14/2022 at 9:47 AM, kalexicon said:

Ooh very nice! Shame it probably won't be coming out for ages on the updated B&P/PaB, but 4 to a $50 set should help with Bricklink prices. And perhaps it foreshadows inclusion in the 90th anniversary set, although the botanical sets do tend to come with recolors that stay unique so I don't think it's guaranteed or anything.

The hat is still in production anyway, albeit in a different colour (blue), in the Series 22 CMF troubadour (bard). It’s making and maintaining the moulds that costs, not changing the colour. So it’s not surprising to see the mould used in another set. Does that mean, it’ll be used in the 90th anniversary castle set? Maybe, it depends on the usage required to get an ROI. Doubtful anybody outside of LEGO knows for sure.

Speaking of re-using moulds, in the forthcoming Orchids Botanicals set, there’s a recolour and reprint of demogorgon’s hood piece from the Stranger Things Upside Down set. (If that’s already been mentioned in this thread, apologies to the poster.)

Edited by AmperZand

20 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Speaking of re-using moulds, in the forthcoming Orchids Botanicals set, there’s a recolour and reprint of demogorgon’s hood piece from the Stranger Things Upside Down set. (If that’s already been mentioned in this thread, apologies to the poster.)

What with these and last year's pink frogs, these Botanical sets are turning into a trove of useful recolours of unlikely parts! I wonder if there's any flowers that would require a resurrection of the cypress mould...

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

What with these and last year's pink frogs, these Botanical sets are turning into a trove of useful recolours of unlikely parts! I wonder if there's any flowers that would require a resurrection of the cypress mould...

which mould is that?

I can't imagine LEGO bringing back the cypress tree mold for any 18+ set. Set designers these days typically opt for custom-built solutions for trees and plants that large whenever possible. If today's set designers really wanted to bring back the cypress tree for any reason, it'd probably be for use in more KFOL-targeted sets (e.g. City or 4+).

As it stands, the only single-piece tree mold that designers have continued using in recent years is the small spruce tree. And even for trees that size and shape, the designers of last year's LEGO Friends forest subtheme opted for brick-built alternatives instead. On that note, the Friends theme also introduced a brick-built design for an ornamental Italian cypress in 41379 Heartlake City Restaurant, though needless to say it depicts a much younger and smaller tree than the classic molded version.

All in all, I think folks who want LEGO cypress trees for reasons other than completing old sets might be better off hoping for LEGO to introduce a good-looking and affordable brick-built design, rather than holding out hope that they'll reintroduce the original molded design.

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

All in all, I think folks who want LEGO cypress trees for reasons other than completing old sets might be better off hoping for LEGO to introduce a good-looking and affordable brick-built design, rather than holding out hope that they'll reintroduce the original molded design

I'm just a big fan of single-mould trees! I don't know why but they just feel 'Legoey' to me in a way brick built trees don't. Sadly I think you're right, the cypress is gone forever, but I would love to see its triumphant return.

If anything, though, a Botanical set might be its way in. A recolour in brown would be great as part of a pinecone build.

15 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm just a big fan of single-mould trees! I don't know why but they just feel 'Legoey' to me in a way brick built trees don't. Sadly I think you're right, the cypress is gone forever, but I would love to see its triumphant return.

If anything, though, a Botanical set might be its way in. A recolour in brown would be great as part of a pinecone build.

personally I am not too big of a fan of moulded trees. they look too samey for me. they can be used for great effect tho, like the classic castles of takeshi https://www.google.com/search?q=takeshi+itou+classic+castle&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev1&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil-YGmqZ33AhUnpIsKHYKfAuAQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=393&bih=720&dpr=2.75

Seems my hopes for the realistic style Viking helms in the creator set were in vain. Oh well still looks good and a new hair with winged crown, which I assume will also appear elsewhere as why would they make it for a creator set?

The helmets may not be historically authentic but the rest still looks great! This may end up being a day one purchase for me, and there aren't many sets I don't wait for a sale/GWP with anymore.

I'll hold final judgement until I see better pics, but there's something about it that isn't sitting right with me. The colors are good, and the build is pretty nice as far as a brick built ship, but I wish the shields were actual shields, and the old horned helmet is a let down. Perhaps offset by the new winged hair piece. The rest of the minifig details will be important. 

Edited by SirBlake

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Seems my hopes for the realistic style Viking helms in the creator set were in vain. Oh well still looks good and a new hair with winged crown, which I assume will also appear elsewhere as why would they make it for a creator set?

The lady viking with the winged helm looks good.  I would like to see the torso prints.  Need better pictures to make a better assessment.  

Hi all, a question, where are you all finding this pre release imagery? It seems like you all know what people mean when out of the blue they talk about unreleased sets but hardly ever are images or links shared. Current example is about that viking set, but I saw this earlier. This is not a complaint by the way, just curious what I am missing?

3 hours ago, hoppa said:

Hi all, a question, where are you all finding this pre release imagery? It seems like you all know what people mean when out of the blue they talk about unreleased sets but hardly ever are images or links shared. Current example is about that viking set, but I saw this earlier. This is not a complaint by the way, just curious what I am missing?

If you take a look on #legoleaks on Instagram or other places they share leaks you may see something :innocent: It is not allowed to share images or links of leaks here :devil:

Shaping on the ship looks great.

Big question would be the price and exclusivity.

While the price on the 3-in-1 Pirate Ship did increase 20% this year, the fact it's not exclusive, means it still can be found at around €85, while the Castle pretty much has been €100 constant since launch.

Edited by TeriXeri

11 hours ago, zoth33 said:

The lady viking with the winged helm looks good.  I would like to see the torso prints.  Need better pictures to make a better assessment.  

Wouldn't be surprised if there are new peasant torsos shared between this set and 90th universe castle. Wouldn't be 100% historically accurate but it'd be much better than the Pirate in the castle, and I wouldn't mind as I'm mixing a few different era for my more fantasy inspired castle collection.

Edit, Bricket thinks it's safe to post so I'll put it here

31132-1.jpg?190651

Edited by Agent Kallus

Not really something novel parts-wise but I love the two brick-built ravens situated above the sail—undoubtedly a reference to Odin's ravens Huginn and Muninn.

Oh wow. My first thought is that those look like some promising minifigure parts. The hair/helm piece on the blonde woman is gorgeous and I like the look of the horned helmet of the bloke on the sail - a little disappointed to see there's a separate beard piece rather than just printing a beard on the face (the beard piece always feels clunky to me) but all in all pretty solid. I can see myself bricklinking the needful figure parts later this year!

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Not really something novel parts-wise but I love the two brick-built ravens situated above the sail—undoubtedly a reference to Odin's ravens Huginn and Muninn.

They are cute - hopefully augurs for a moulded crow/Raven soon