Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

11 hours ago, Aurore said:

A definite no-brainer, but the Gamorrean guard coming in Boba Fett's Throne Room would look perfect in a fantasy setting :

51881190464_f23c325465_m.jpg

I already have one of those from the Rancor Pit (75005) although this might be an updated design?

5 hours ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

I already have one of those from the Rancor Pit (75005) although this might be an updated design?

The mould is the same but the leg printing and hand colour are different. Here’s the one from the Rancor Pit set:

sw0405.png

The Horizon Forbidden West Tallneck contains the Uruk-Hai sword in pearl gold, the first time it has appeared in that colour AFAIK.

The minifigure from that set - I think the character is called Aloy - wouldn’t look out of place in a fantasy setting.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:49 AM, AmperZand said:

The Horizon Forbidden West Tallneck contains the Uruk-Hai sword in pearl gold, the first time it has appeared in that colour AFAIK.

The minifigure from that set - I think the character is called Aloy - wouldn’t look out of place in a fantasy setting.

Agreed her printing and hairpiece are interesting minus the blue clear piece in the hair.  I really like the look of the fig.  Could be used for a barbarian or some other kind of warrior fig.  

Edited by zoth33

The new Thor set is a goldmine! So many useful things. The new minifigs, the boat itself, 8 interesting shields. I'm stoked for this one. Also the celtic looking stickers on the front look extremely useful too. 

Edited by Bardan_Jusik

54 minutes ago, Bardan_Jusik said:

8 interesting shields.

It is printed round plates not proper shields I think, however some may find them useful anyway :classic:
No moulded goats in the set of course :hmpf: 

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

It is printed round plates not proper shields I think, however some may find them useful anyway :classic:
No moulded goats in the set of course :hmpf: 

To be honest did you think they would put the molded goats in this set.  It would look really weird with the tiny molded goats.  But the Thor set looks excellent.  

21 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

To be honest did you think they would put the molded goats in this set.  It would look really weird with the tiny molded goats.  But the Thor set looks excellent.  

LEGO might have produced a new oversized moulded goat. To keep costs down, it may have been without articulation. I would have been OK with that compromise.

That’s not crazy talk. It wouldn’t have been the first time that LEGO had created a moulded animal for just one licensed set.

Edited by AmperZand

1 minute ago, AmperZand said:

LEGO might have produced a new oversized moulded goat. To keep costs down, it may have been without articulation. I would have been OK with that compromise. It wouldn’t have been the first time that LEGO had created a moulded animal for just one licensed set.

I was talking of the old mold.  But even if they did that that would be quite a specific mold that they would have a hard time reusing at that size.   I really do hope they do some more goats soon though.  

23 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

LEGO might have produced a new oversized moulded goat. To keep costs down, it may have been without articulation. I would have been OK with that compromise.

That’s not crazy talk. It wouldn’t have been the first time that LEGO had created a moulded animal for just one licensed set.

For my part I'm a little more impressed with the articulated brick-built goats than I would've been with static molded ones. If the shaping had been weaker I might have felt differently, but all things considered, I feel they ended up with a good balance of rigid corners and softer curves, which is one of the only areas where specialized molds might have had an advantage over a brick-built creature.

This way they're also an actual part of the building experience, which is generally a plus in my book.

Speaking of brick-built detailing, I love that figurehead! LEGO definitely did a great job achieving that wood-carving look. The roof is not bad at all either! There are definitely plenty of building techniques that could very easily be repurposed for historic MOCs even if the set itself wasn't quite to one's liking. Though it seems like it'd be more than adequate for a historic layout if you simply omitted the stickers and added some rowers in place of the goats.

Edited by Aanchir

Wouldn't surprise me if LEGO re-uses those viking "shields" in the upcoming 3-in-1 set instead of printed actual shields.

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

Wouldn't surprise me if LEGO re-uses those viking "shields" in the upcoming 3-in-1 set instead of printed actual shields.

I don't think they can because of it being a licensed set.  If it's generic they might but if it's straight from the movie marvel might not let that happen.  

1 hour ago, Bardan_Jusik said:

I wonder if you could put those stickers on the studless shields like Captain America's without ruining it or wrinkling it. 

Probably not. Cap’s shield is slightly convex. The sticker is flat. So sticking the latter to the former would deform the sticker causing one or more wrinkles. 

There are some flat round shields such as those from Fantasy Era. Don’t know if their diameter is big enough for the stickers from the Goat Boat.

Edited by AmperZand

1 hour ago, AmperZand said:

Probably not. Cap’s shield is slightly convex. The sticker is flat. So sticking the latter to the former would deform the sticker causing one or more wrinkles. 

There are some flat round shields such as those from Fantasy Era. Don’t know if their diameter is big enough for the stickers from the Goat Boat.

If you are talking about the dwarf shields I think they are smaller than those.  Although I think you could use it on the shield that has the stud in the middle and just mount the round tile to the shield that way.  

1 hour ago, zoth33 said:

If you are talking about the dwarf shields I think they are smaller than those.  Although I think you could use it on the shield that has the stud in the middle and just mount the round tile to the shield that way.  

The Fantasy Era dwarf shields are actually exactly the same size as a 2x2 round tile, so the stickers from the Goat Boat would fit them perfectly. And that's probably a better choice for Vikings anyhow, since Viking shields tend to be flat aside from the metal boss in the center, unlike convex metal shields like Captain America's.

10 hours ago, zoth33 said:

To be honest did you think they would put the molded goats in this set.  It would look really weird with the tiny molded goats.

No not the original ones, at best it would have been a bigger goat mould, that I am sure some fantasy builders would find extremely useful (me not so much)..
However Lego are almost trolling us now naming a set "goat-boat" *huh*

On 2/21/2022 at 11:17 PM, Aanchir said:

The Fantasy Era dwarf shields are actually exactly the same size as a 2x2 round tile, so the stickers from the Goat Boat would fit them perfectly. And that's probably a better choice for Vikings anyhow, since Viking shields tend to be flat aside from the metal boss in the center, unlike convex metal shields like Captain America's.

Ok never tried it.  That's good to know.  Is it an exact fit or is there room left on the edges?

12 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Ok never tried it.  That's good to know.  Is it an exact fit or is there room left on the edges?

Probably about a millimeter left on the edges, since that tends to be the norm with LEGO stickers compared to the surfaces they're designed for. Basically, they'll fit the dwarf shields just as well as they would have fit the original tiles.

Of course, if you don't have a lot of spare dwarf shields, you could also always just use the stickers on the tiles from the Goat Boat set, and attach a piece like 25893 to function as a handle.

56 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Probably about a millimeter left on the edges, since that tends to be the norm with LEGO stickers compared to the surfaces they're designed for. Basically, they'll fit the dwarf shields just as well as they would have fit the original tiles.

Of course, if you don't have a lot of spare dwarf shields, you could also always just use the stickers on the tiles from the Goat Boat set, and attach a piece like 25893 to function as a handle.

Ok I was going to see if the round 2x2 fit on those flat circular shields with the stud in the middle because I have some of those that would be better I think than using a already printed shield.  

6 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Ok I was going to see if the round 2x2 fit on those flat circular shields with the stud in the middle because I have some of those that would be better I think than using a already printed shield.  

I'm pretty sure the solution you describe (round 2x2 tiles attached to those shields) is what the Goat Boat set itself does by default. So if that solution satisfies you it'd be by far the easiest option!

Edited by Lyichir

On 2/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, TeriXeri said:

Is there an upcoming 3-1 Viking set?!