Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

On 1/5/2022 at 9:57 PM, Aurore said:

The new trunk with flat lid appears in black

51801257504_05b783dcc5_z.jpg

First I’ve seen this trunk. Looks cool

On 1/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, zoth33 said:

Yeah this is great.  I can't wait to see what other animals we get.  Hopefully more goats, a new cow maybe or bull,  recolor pig,  recolor for chickens and hopefully a rooster,  maybe a horse of a different color.  They may use the sheep from the disney farm set too.  This could get us some things like cabbage, grapes, some type of melon like watermelon, hopefully some different plant pieces.

Grapes can be built pretty easily with existing parts, as showcased by the Heartlake City Restaurant set a couple years ago! There are also a number of options for melons depending on what type and size of melon you want, including a printed minifigure head specifically introduced last year to represent a (small) watermelon. Unprinted minifigure heads may be a better fit for many European melon varieties.

The latest depiction of a cabbage in sets was in 80104 Lion Dance, which used a Bright Green minifig wig over a Bright Yellowish Green (Lime) minifigure head. But the necessary parts for that are MUCH less common than the ones used for grapes, so it'd definitely be nice if one of the farm sets included cabbages (either with that design or a different design) in more useful quantities.

In general, I'd recommend browsing through sets from the Friends theme for food/produce pieces and building ideas like the aforementioned grapes and watermelons, since there are a LOT of well-stocked shops, restaurants, kitchens, and gardens in that theme.

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Grapes can be built pretty easily with existing parts, as showcased by the Heartlake City Restaurant set a couple years ago! There are also a number of options for melons depending on what type and size of melon you want, including a printed minifigure head specifically introduced last year to represent a (small) watermelon. Unprinted minifigure heads may be a better fit for many European melon varieties.

The latest depiction of a cabbage in sets was in 80104 Lion Dance, which used a Bright Green minifig wig over a Bright Yellowish Green (Lime) minifigure head. But the necessary parts for that are MUCH less common than the ones used for grapes, so it'd definitely be nice if one of the farm sets included cabbages (either with that design or a different design) in more useful quantities.

In general, I'd recommend browsing through sets from the Friends theme for food/produce pieces and building ideas like the aforementioned grapes and watermelons, since there are a LOT of well-stocked shops, restaurants, kitchens, and gardens in that theme.

Yeah I usually do big B&P orders.  But recently I've had some extra expenses so I will have to wait a little while to get some more parts for fruits and vegetables.  I know you can use the ice cream piece with the small 3 leaf plant piece to make a bunch of grapes.  I do like the wig they used for cabbage.  

I'm planning out a large fantasy castle/village and trying to figure out what plants and vegetables I want to use.  Also just ordered more sheep in the last B&P order I did a little while ago.  I really am hoping for goats though we need more goats.  And I need more chickens also.  I will be experimenting a lot with things over the winter to see what looks best.  

Stonewars reports 6 animals in the summer "Barn" set : a cow (black and white) and calf, a pig (pink) and piglet, and a sheep and lamb! 

The other farm sets bring us only very common animals: 3 printed white chickens and an unprinted golden one in the Chicken House, and a white bunny in the Farmers Market Van.

Edited by Aurore

8 hours ago, Aurore said:

Stonewars reports 6 animals in the summer "Barn" set : a cow (black and white) and calf, a pig (pink) and piglet, and a sheep and lamb! 

The other farm sets bring us only very common animals: 3 printed white chickens and an unprinted golden one in the Chicken House, and a white bunny in the Farmers Market Van.

I thought he said a new corn cob piece was in there too.  

I need cows this is great and a piglet and lamb sounds great too.  I really wish they would have put a proper rooster in the chicken house.  But overall sounds good to me.  

On 1/20/2022 at 6:23 PM, zoth33 said:

I thought he said a new corn cob piece was in there too.

True, but keep in mind that maize/sweetcorn (i.e. "corn on the cob") would not be accurate for medieval European settings. That said, it'd work fine for builds set in pre-colonial America, or builds set in later time periods after trans-Atlantic trade has made maize available more globally.

For that matter, in fantasy settings, you're naturally allowed to deviate from real-world historical or geographic limitations as much as you like, just as Tolkien did to give his British-inspired Hobbits access to New World produce like tomatoes, potatoes, and pipe tobacco ("pipe-weed").

On 1/20/2022 at 6:23 PM, zoth33 said:

I really wish they would have put a proper rooster in the chicken house.

I'm not as particular about wanting roosters, since at least some breeds of hens and roosters are similar enough for the same mold and colors/prints to work for both. A separate rooster mold (and for that matter, a separate bull mold) could be neat to see in the long run, but I'm not too bothered by their absence at this point.

What I would be especially excited to see in a future farm set would be younger chicks that could accompany the chicken mold. I'd even just accept a recolor of the songbird mold, even if actual chicks would have shorter tail feathers than that. At a scale as small as that, I'm not too picky about those sorts of details.

Edited by Aanchir

5 hours ago, Aanchir said:

True, but keep in mind that maize/sweetcorn (i.e. "corn on the cob") would not be accurate for medieval European settings. That said, it'd work fine for builds set in pre-colonial America, or builds set in later time periods after trans-Atlantic trade has made maize available more globally.

For that matter, in fantasy settings, you're naturally allowed to deviate from real-world historical or geographic limitations as much as you like, just as Tolkien did to give his British-inspired Hobbits access to New World produce like tomatoes, potatoes, and pipe tobacco ("pipe-weed").

I'm not as particular about wanting roosters, since at least some breeds of hens and roosters are similar enough for the same mold and colors/prints to work for both. A separate rooster mold (and for that matter, a separate bull mold) could be neat to see in the long run, but I'm not too bothered by their absence at this point.

What I would be especially excited to see in a future farm set would be younger chicks that could accompany the chicken mold. I'd even just accept a recolor of the songbird mold, even if actual chicks would have shorter tail feathers than that. At a scale as small as that, I'm not too picky about those sorts of details.

Yes true in the actual historical sense for this earth but I can use it in a fantasy setting for corn or any other type of plant I can come up with.  That's more what I was thinking about.  I'm not into building medieval European settings. I'm really interested to see what the cob piece looks like.   

I would like a rooster mold but if they just recolored the chicken to look like a rooster I would be fine with that.  Also the more variety the better I would like to see black, brown, and grey chickens.  Also an actual duck or goose mold would be fantastic too.  I would really like them to expand on the color options of the small bird, currently I think we only have white and blue.  I would like to see the small bird in yellow, orange, red, black, purple, grey, etc.  

15 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Also an actual duck or goose mold would be fantastic too.

Oh, certainly! The rubber duck mold could still be suitable for ducklings, but a new mold for adult ducks could be great — not only to make the scale and proportions more accurate relative to other bird molds, but also potentially to allow for more detailed printing or multi-stage molding to represent different plumage patterns.

Promobrick's description of the summer Ninjago sets mentions several parts I find rather intriguing as a fantasy builder...
- New crystal sword, 
- New crystal spear tip,
- Crystal armour and so-called "crystal samurai" minifigs - could mean a re-use of the 2019 "blizzard samurai" minifigs' armour and helmet though,
- A centaur (antagonist), mainly black with purple and gold details and a golden armour that is said to look like the one of the Overlord
- A new version of the Skull Sorcerer minifig, with pink crystal armour,
- Winged armours - I'm not familiar enough with Ninjago to assess whether or not that's actually supposed to be a new element...

Edited by Aurore
typo

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Ninjago is slowly becoming Fantasy Era II

Which I think is a good thing, Monkie Kid and Ninjago need to stay somewhat different directions, or you'd get 2 themes that would be similar and compete with eachother. 

I know china and japan are very different things, but Monkie Kid going to the moon this time around, it would not make sense to ninjago to go to space at the same time.

And LEGO has a bit more self-freedom with Ninjago. 

The Season 13 Skull Dungeon wave also probably would appeal to a different audience compared to let's say the Gaming or underwater subthemes (including person experience), so variation might get people into collecting it more.

Monkie kid does have the Lady Bone Demon which is still very differently styled compared to the Skull Sorcerer.

And with Legacy, I'm sure there might be new versions of older sets again at some point, I think if Legacy would've ended 100% it would be known.

1 hour ago, Aurore said:

Promobrick's description of the summer Ninjago sets mentions several parts I find rather intriguing as a fantasy builder...
- New crystal sword, 
- New crystal spear tip,
- Crystal armour and so-called "crystal samurai" minifigs - could mean a re-use of the 2019 "blizzard samurai" minifigs' armour and helmet though,
- A centaur (antagonist), mainly black with purple and gold details and a golden armour that is said to look like the one of the Overlord
- Winged armours - I'm not familiar enough with Ninjago to assess whether or not that's actually supposed to be a new element...

Sounds awesome and my type of subtheme, I did like the Nexo Lava and Stone Monsters, and Ninjago Season 13 was great , so I do like rock/crystal based things.

Maybe this will appeal to Rock Raider/Power Miner fans too (I never had sets of those themes myself, Nexo still had some rock inspired vehicles and drills.)

Edited by TeriXeri

On 1/22/2022 at 8:51 PM, Aanchir said:

That said, it'd work fine for builds set in pre-colonial America, or builds set in later time periods after trans-Atlantic trade has made maize available more globally.

Wouldn't it bit a bit out of place there too, given the very yellow colour compared to the original native corn on the cob varieties. Obviously the size is wrong too, but then it is for most food in LEGO.

7 hours ago, Aurore said:

- New crystal sword, 
- New crystal spear tip,

I’ve got one of these spear tip in trans green. Will it be just a new color or a really new piece?

The crystal sword could be the «trans-colored » short sword from the last CMF series (Fright Knight / Knight protector) in another transparent color.

I think you’re right with the crystal armor and samurais.

It seems to be mostly re-use of older pieces (probably in new colors), but I’m maybe wrong! I hope so!

The new skull sorcerer and the centaur could be two really nice minifigs for medieval fantasy. I really love the first version of the skull sorcerer. In one set he is winged (with bat wings but without armor) I don’t know any other winged minifigs in Ninjago but many of the Chima’s minifig have winged armors. 

Edited by Sympatik Brick

8 hours ago, Sympatik Brick said:

I’ve got one of these spear tip in trans green. Will it be just a new color or a really new piece?

The crystal sword could be the «trans-colored » short sword from the last CMF series (Fright Knight / Knight protector) in another transparent color.

Both the transparent crystal sword and the spear tip are explicitely mentioned as "new" in the article. So, well, it's still based on preliminary information, but I certainly hope for new moulds! :sweet:

15 hours ago, Aurore said:

Both the transparent crystal sword and the spear tip are explicitely mentioned as "new" in the article. So, well, it's still based on preliminary information, but I certainly hope for new moulds! :sweet:

Ok. I am not able to read German. Both parts I mentioned only exist in less than 5 colors: It’s why I thought it would be only new colors of these parts. I hope for new moulds too… i don’t really use these two parts!

Edited by Sympatik Brick

On 1/24/2022 at 9:31 AM, Aurore said:

- New crystal sword, 
- New crystal spear tip,

The winged armors are presumably the gold armor with two Technic pin holes on the back (presumably to attach new wings or like the more mechanical ones that I think were introduced in Hero Factory) that were leaked in like December. Idk how useful that would be for anything realistic, but I can think of several neat sci-fi/fantasy things that could be done with them as well as maybe using that connection for dynamic poses (like someone getting thrown or something). 

Demogorgons are now available as affordable keychains. Rip off the chain and you can army build them. I have ordered six already to make dryads.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:57 PM, GeneralNumberOne said:

The winged armors are presumably the gold armor with two Technic pin holes on the back (presumably to attach new wings or like the more mechanical ones that I think were introduced in Hero Factory) that were leaked in like December.

My Google Translated descriptions say that the wings "cannot be connected via technology axles" (I'm guessing technology means Technic), though it's Google Translate, so take it with a grain of salt. One video by a LAN member strongly hints that they're supposed to look like the page image here, though I'm not sure how that would translate to LEGO, and Promobricks says they look like the EVO wings (presumably the dragon wings), which look nothing like that. So, we'll need images.

Might not be the right topic (but I don't think it's worth it's own topic) but your local Pick a Brick wall might have some leaves available.

I can confirm that they are/were available in Salt Lake City, Utah and Indianapolis, Indiana.

IMG-1399.jpg

18 hours ago, CallMeCarbiz said:

Might not be the right topic (but I don't think it's worth it's own topic) but your local Pick a Brick wall might have some leaves available.

I can confirm that they are/were available in Salt Lake City, Utah and Indianapolis, Indiana.

IMG-1399.jpg

how many leaves did you manage to put in a cup?

For those not averse to introducing a bit of dinosaur action into their fantasy themes, the latest Jurassic Park sets have some cool creatures. I especially like the pyroraptor.

2 hours ago, Sir Jedrus said:

how many leaves did you manage to put in a cup?

164 leaves There were some other bricks shoved down between them, but my main focus was on leaves.

A definite no-brainer, but the Gamorrean guard coming in Boba Fett's Throne Room would look perfect in a fantasy setting :

51881190464_f23c325465_m.jpg

3 hours ago, Aurore said:

A definite no-brainer, but the Gamorrean guard coming in Boba Fett's Throne Room would look perfect in a fantasy setting :

I already use the 2012 version, which is similar to this one, and one of the ones before that without printing as orcs. That’s not particularly original on my part though: it’s widely believed that orcs were the inspiration for Gamorreans in RotJ.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:57 AM, Aurore said:

Three more Harry Potter sets of the march wave have been revealed! The Madam Pomfrey minifig I was eagerly expecting looks great. I'm not impressed by the Professor Trelawney minifig, looks nice but some details of her outfit are too modern for my medieval-fantasy taste.
The new trunk with flat lid appears in black (vs pearl gold in the Hogwarts trunk set), and I really like the printed page tile of the Defence against the Dark Arts bok!

51801257504_05b783dcc5_z.jpg

any idea when pieces from those news sets may be avail on Bricks & Pieces?

Edited by zinnn