Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

Yes that’s nice. Not convinced about the face on the mushrooms but guess can turn it the other way if needed.

While reading the reviews of the Series 22 minifigures that Brickset and New Elementary posted today, I suddenly realized that I was probably wrong about the Troubadour minifig's gold coins being a reference to the Fantasy Era "Crown Knights".

In fact, both the coronet on the coins and the blue-and-magenta outfit are almost certainly a reference to the castle guards' heraldry from the Yellow Castle (375/6075)! Definitely a neat throwback, and I'd love to see LEGO do even more with these colors and this heraldry in the future. The magenta in particular is a great approximation of the heraldic tincture purpure.

It'd also be interesting to see the heraldry from some of the other knights in that set brought back in the future, although I understand why they may be less appealing than heraldry from more recent Castle characters and factions — object-based or animal-based heraldic charges like crowns, lions, dragons, eagles, wolves, etc. tend to have stronger symbolic connotations associated with them in the modern day (nobility, majesty, courage, power, ferocity, hunting prowess, etc) than non-representational or heavily abstracted geometric forms like chevrons and trefoils.

On another note, I'm pleased to see that many of the figures including the Snow Guardian and Night Protector have arm printing and dual expressions. I feel like that's a big improvement from the early days of Minifigures blind bags, in which those sorts of details were much less common/widespread.

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

It'd also be interesting to see the heraldry from some of the other knights in that set brought back in the future, although I understand why they may be less appealing than heraldry from more recent Castle characters and factions — object-based or animal-based heraldic charges like crowns, lions, dragons, eagles, wolves, etc. tend to have stronger symbolic connotations associated with them in the modern day (nobility, majesty, courage, power, ferocity, hunting prowess, etc) than non-representational or heavily abstracted geometric forms like chevrons and trefoils.

I loved many of the heraldry from the nexo knight shield tiles, really allowed a lot of customizing, and the villain shields didn't look that crazy futuristic.

Some of my favorites are the dragon heads, animals and weapons.

I wouldn't mind a return of such system, maybe a bit more "Classic Castle" style, without a scannable QR code, advantage of tiles being seperate from the shields, the tiles can be used as banners/wall ornaments as well.

It doesn't even need to be a shield holder, it could be a tile that fits on some holder piece that already exists.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 hours ago, Aanchir said:

While reading the reviews of the Series 22 minifigures that Brickset and New Elementary posted today, I suddenly realized that I was probably wrong about the Troubadour minifig's gold coins being a reference to the Fantasy Era "Crown Knights".

In fact, both the coronet on the coins and the blue-and-magenta outfit are almost certainly a reference to the castle guards' heraldry from the Yellow Castle (375/6075)! Definitely a neat throwback, and I'd love to see LEGO do even more with these colors and this heraldry in the future. The magenta in particular is a great approximation of the heraldic tincture purpure.

I’m throwing it out that that the bard and his colors are going to be a nod to the upcoming 90th anniversary set that will indeed be classic castle.  Now, my wishful thinking here is that the set will be some sort of gathering with food and fun going on inside the castle/market/structure as a kind of gathering of the generations.  That’s my hope anyway…

5 hours ago, INTENSS said:

I’m throwing it out that that the bard and his colors are going to be a nod to the upcoming 90th anniversary set that will indeed be classic castle.  Now, my wishful thinking here is that the set will be some sort of gathering with food and fun going on inside the castle/market/structure as a kind of gathering of the generations.  That’s my hope anyway…

you peeked my interest. any word when the set is coming out?

10 hours ago, INTENSS said:

I’m throwing it out that that the bard and his colors are going to be a nod to the upcoming 90th anniversary set that will indeed be classic castle.

I really do not hope it is a classic castle, a yellow one with brickbuilt horses, no thank you :wacko:

10 hours ago, INTENSS said:

Now, my wishful thinking here is that the set will be some sort of gathering with food and fun going on inside the castle/market/structure as a kind of gathering of the generations.  That’s my hope anyway…

Now this on the other hand is more like it :wink:

8 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

you peeked my interest. any word when the set is coming out?

No word on timeframe.  I would guess second half of the year.

3 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I really do not hope it is a classic castle, a yellow one with brickbuilt horses, no thank you :wacko:

I’m with you, I’d prefer grey castle age or later stuff.  They make some new figure prints though and I wouldn’t complain either way.

Take the Baronyx‘ body, slap on a longer neck and the wings and the armored head from the old green castle Dragon and you have a nice new slim forest dragon.

4 hours ago, INTENSS said:

No word on timeframe.  I would guess second half of the year.

I’m with you, I’d prefer grey castle age or later stuff.  They make some new figure prints though and I wouldn’t complain either way.

oof, there is a chance they are gonna make it yellow? lol

i have skipped the creator castle because it came with too much yellow for my taste (albeit a decision I regret a bit as the discounted prices has gone up in the meantime)

8 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Honestly even if they did a yellow castle-inspired set they might still opt for molded horses—since even if they're going for retro aesthetics they needn't limit themselves to parts or techniques available at the time.

Original 375 castle had 14 figs and 4 horses , and the figures still have some interesting heraldry potential to be made into modernish armor/prints.

If it's a truly a 90th anniversary memorable set I hope they won't expect people to sticker those emblems however :wink:

Also would expect moulded horses for a modern remake, the old brick built horses use a somewhat questionable sideways tile between studs for the horse ears.

Edited by TeriXeri

5 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

oof, there is a chance they are gonna make it yellow? lol

i have skipped the creator castle because it came with too much yellow for my taste (albeit a decision I regret a bit as the discounted prices has gone up in the meantime)

I don’t think they’d go yellow, unless they start making yellow masonry bricks…I’d think tan could be a modern take on the color scheme.  That all said, give me a nice Tudor village feast of the various armies getting along to celebrate 90 years of togetherness and all that good stuff.  But  really just an army building set for us. :pir-thumb:

On 12/17/2021 at 11:27 PM, INTENSS said:

I’m throwing it out that that the bard and his colors are going to be a nod to the upcoming 90th anniversary set that will indeed be classic castle. 

Where did you hear that the 90th Anniversary set would be Castle? I have seen some evidence pointing towards the set being Classic Space (plushies and other Target merchandise, Ice Planet torsos in a CNY set), but Castle is also likely. 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Where did you hear that the 90th Anniversary set would be Castle? I have seen some evidence pointing towards the set being Classic Space (plushies and other Target merchandise, Ice Planet torsos in a CNY set), but Castle is also likely.

No where, but Castle probably got most votes at least if you combine all the subthemes, and if I remember right classic castle got most votes of the different subthemes. Most likely because a lot of the voters thought that it was a umbrella category for all the different castle subthemes and not only the yellow castle subtheme. That was only one of the problems with the poll, however I believe castle won in the end. If that is the case it would make most sense to me to make a big castle set with a lot of different minifigs from the most popular subthemes. I hope it also would include a lot a animals with the return of the goat as the cherry on the cake. I am probably setting myself up for disappointment now :tongue:

7 hours ago, Roebuck said:

No where, but Castle probably got most votes at least if you combine all the subthemes, and if I remember right classic castle got most votes of the different subthemes. Most likely because a lot of the voters thought that it was a umbrella category for all the different castle subthemes and not only the yellow castle subtheme. That was only one of the problems with the poll, however I believe castle won in the end. If that is the case it would make most sense to me to make a big castle set with a lot of different minifigs from the most popular subthemes. I hope it also would include a lot a animals with the return of the goat as the cherry on the cake. I am probably setting myself up for disappointment now :tongue:

Lol…same for me.  It’ll probably end up being a Bionicle cup (kidding!).  In all seriousness, It is obvious Lego is making some nods to space with the Target collection merchandise, mosaic art set, and awesome city sets (moon base, etc).  I’ve been wondering if that means they got the votes OR they didn’t and these have been a sort of consolation prize….or Lego just wants to merchandise Space stuff and I’m overthinking the whole thing (most likely).  

The poll did split the Castle fandom votes for sure, but if Lego was looking to see what sub groups/minifigs we’d prefer to see in future Castle one off sets, then they got some pretty good data from an analytical perspective.  Same goes for Space, and the other themes.  It’ll be really interesting to see what theme they end up doing, and what nods to the past they put in it, whether it’s Castle, Space, Pirates, or (cringe) Bionicle.

Edited by INTENSS

5 hours ago, INTENSS said:

Lol…same for me.  It’ll probably end up being a Bionicle cup (kidding!).  In all seriousness, It is obvious Lego is making some nods to space with the Target collection merchandise, mosaic art set, and awesome city sets (moon base, etc).  I’ve been wondering if that means they got the votes OR they didn’t and these have been a sort of consolation prize….or Lego just wants to merchandise Space stuff and I’m overthinking the whole thing (most likely).

It's also entirely possible that LEGO is planning more 90th anniversary related "throwback" sets than just the one from that poll! Note that the poll was specifically for a "a single new product for the 2022 LEGO Adult Portfolio" — which is to say, probably an 18+ set.

It makes sense that for a product like that, they'd want AFOLs to have a voice in what theme it focuses on. But we've seen time and time again that LEGO has no objection to making "throwback" sets or minifigures even in more kid-targeted sets and themes: Benny's Space Squad from The LEGO Movie 2, the Jungle Explorer from Minifigures Series 19, the modernized Captain Redbeard/Roger and Bo'sun Will minifigures from the 2015 Pirates range, etc.

Plus, keep in mind how much different stuff LEGO did for the 80th anniversary of the brick/40th anniversary of the minifigure! I doubt for an anniversary this big they'll just do one 18+ set and leave it at that.

I loved those 60th anniversary (of the brick) sets in 2018 since they came with different from usual parts and plain minifigs + accesoires , for example :

10404-1.jpg?201712110858

Three more Harry Potter sets of the march wave have been revealed! The Madam Pomfrey minifig I was eagerly expecting looks great. I'm not impressed by the Professor Trelawney minifig, looks nice but some details of her outfit are too modern for my medieval-fantasy taste.
The new trunk with flat lid appears in black (vs pearl gold in the Hogwarts trunk set), and I really like the printed page tile of the Defence against the Dark Arts bok!

51801257504_05b783dcc5_z.jpg

There is a newly recoloured part good for medieval latrines.

6380047.jpg

1 hour ago, Aurore said:

51801257504_05b783dcc5_z.jpg

I think Pomfrey's skirt is Leia's existing one and it is a shame the torso has the big broach / hourglass pin. It would have been more re-usable without it but I guess it was always going to be there. The headgear looks good though.

8 hours ago, Aurore said:

Three more Harry Potter sets of the march wave have been revealed! The Madam Pomfrey minifig I was eagerly expecting looks great. I'm not impressed by the Professor Trelawney minifig, looks nice but some details of her outfit are too modern for my medieval-fantasy taste.
The new trunk with flat lid appears in black (vs pearl gold in the Hogwarts trunk set), and I really like the printed page tile of the Defence against the Dark Arts bok!

In the Hospital Wing set there's a part that I think could be quite versatile—the minifigure baby head, molded in white with the classic Lego skull pattern! It'd be great on a shelf or the end of an evil wizard's staff, among many other potential ornamental uses.

I won't buy Harry Potter sets so I can only hope that piece ends up reused in other themes. It'd work great in Monkie Kid for all sorts of accessories associated with the Lady Bone Demon.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

In the Hospital Wing set there's a part that I think could be quite versatile—the minifigure baby head, molded in white with the classic Lego skull pattern! It'd be great on a shelf or the end of an evil wizard's staff, among many other potential ornamental uses.

Totally missed that, lovely piece! 

Future sets shared in the City forum are farm-themed! :excited: While they won't be medieval, they'll bring us animals, and probably some fruits/vegetables/crates/other kind of useful parts for details in our villages...

60344: Chicken House (101 pieces)
60345: Farmers Market Van (310 pieces)
50346: Barn and Farm Animals (230 pieces, 4+)

There is also a "Wild Animal Rescue Mission" set which could bring us MOAR animals to populate our medieval-fantasy forests!

Edited by Aurore

17 hours ago, Aurore said:

Future sets shared in the City forum are farm-themed! :excited: While they won't be medieval, they'll bring us animals, and probably some fruits/vegetables/crates/other kind of useful parts for details in our villages...

There is also a "Wild Animal Rescue Mission" set which could bring us MOAR animals to populate our medieval-fantasy forests!

Yeah this is great.  I can't wait to see what other animals we get.  Hopefully more goats, a new cow maybe or bull,  recolor pig,  recolor for chickens and hopefully a rooster,  maybe a horse of a different color.  They may use the sheep from the disney farm set too.  This could get us some things like cabbage, grapes, some type of melon like watermelon, hopefully some different plant pieces.  The wild animal rescue could have something new too which would be great.  Right now I'm just waiting for the new squirrels to pop up on B&P.  

On 1/5/2022 at 12:26 PM, Lyichir said:

I won't buy Harry Potter sets so I can only hope that piece ends up reused in other themes. It'd work great in Monkie Kid for all sorts of accessories associated with the Lady Bone Demon.

Or it might end up in B&P you could hope.  

Also Ninjago has more dragons all golden dragons coming later this year.  Also a set in Ninjago called the Crystal King which seems to be a mech or some type of large brick built version of the main villain by the piece count.  There is also The temple of the Crystal King which also sounds interesting.  I can't wait to see what the villains look like for this hopefully not snakes again.