Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

On 9/6/2021 at 3:01 AM, Frike said:

@Aurore I just found sheep on B&P back in stock for the first time!! I did add pieces to other projects but I got so excited that I forgot about that white hairpiece.

Have you ever heard of BrickHawk?  You can watch availability on one B&P part for free and be alerted as soon as it is in stock.  This is how I was able to order certain parts that run out of stock soon after being restocked, including a flock of sheep (still awaiting completion of the order and delivery).

Latest info on the CMF Series 22 on Promobricks shows a few potentially interesting minifigs and new moulds for medieval-fantasy enthusiasts:
- A female warrior with a moon theme (sword and shield),
- A male warrior with a snow theme (sword, shield and husky),
- A forest spirit with an acorn hat and a mushroom,
- A bard with a lute (new mould),
- A girl with a foal (new mould) (OK, it's essentially the foal that's interesting).

And there is also a new tucan mould. I'll definitely order a whole box of this serie! :wub:

12 minutes ago, Aurore said:

Latest info on the CMF Series 22 on Promobricks shows a few potentially interesting minifigs and new moulds for medieval-fantasy enthusiasts:
- A girl with a foal (new mould) (OK, it's essentially the foal that's interesting).

And there is also a new tucan mould. I'll definitely order a whole box of this serie! :wub:

A number of these from this series hold some incredible potential.  Can’t wait to see the pictures!

3 hours ago, Aurore said:

Wow! This is really exciting, maybe even some army builder potentials!

Moon warrior lets see how close to Moon Knight this one is

Forest spirit sounds interesting

Bard maybe a nod to Jaskier from the witcher one could only hope

The snow warrior soounds good too though I hope the husky is a recolor

Sounds like a great series for us fantasy/castle builders.  

Meanwhile, interesting parts with a fantasy flair keep showing up in B&P. I never get tired of opalescent parts.
Also, sheep!

51610864500_0a5070c0f0_z.jpg

Edited by Aurore

@Aurore, Great picture - a work of art in its own right! :thumbup:

I already have a sheep and anglerfish. I’ll look into getting some of the other parts. Don’t know what I’ll do with them but they’ll probably find a use eventually.

2 hours ago, Rockstaremcee said:

Is this supposed to be an image of the Snow Warrior?

Are you seeing a 90s Tribal chief image with images behind it or a different image?

It's nothing more than a poor attempt at gaining Instagram followers or whatever. Just ignore it.

The link is indeed a poor picture of an Islander from the 90s on top of what I assume to be an even poorer picture of a supposed Snow Warrior. Even if it was real, I care very little for these "leaks" and I fully believe that this crap has no business here. Whatsoever. Rant over. :kahuka:

17 hours ago, Rockstaremcee said:

Are you seeing a 90s Tribal chief image with images behind it or a different image?

same one but the image is really quite a good minifigure behind the cheiftien

On 1/7/2017 at 7:21 AM, nine09nueve said:

This is good - maybe a tall white version will come out soon? Or we can just use the paint brush :)

Having looked a lot at giant sized builds recently... the giant man is too big IMO... I know giants ARE big but how big is big... 24ft / 7m maybe? That's about a 2 story building or so... and if a minifig is 6ft tall (1.8) then that's 4 minifigs high... not a lot of room to build with...

Yes you can build BIG giants... but  if they are too big you wonder how any of the little ones will have a chance in bringing it down!

I say why wait for TLG to come up with that perfect torso / motif / sign and just make them yourselves... there are some groovy things that can be made if one but tries :)

ps: yes I'm aware I'm late to the party but since this is a historical thread I doubt one can ever be Too late :) but if you don't like it then sue me - I am currently represented by Harvey Birdbath at Garrett, Smithkinson and Buttermilk (deceased) attorneys at law

you can make your own minifgure, there is a a place n new york and florida and some other places were you design it and it is printed

i built one, it is a good process

On 10/26/2021 at 3:59 PM, Rockstaremcee said:

It *is* an image of the Snow Warrior, yes.

Not a very good image, but an image non-the-less.

The poster of the image is also very reliable and has posted pictures of the CMF 22 building instructions too, which showed the new robot amongst others.

On 10/20/2021 at 12:56 PM, Aurore said:

Meanwhile, interesting parts with a fantasy flair keep showing up in B&P. I never get tired of opalescent parts.
Also, sheep!

51610864500_0a5070c0f0_z.jpg

Some interesting pars indeed! Do you have the number of the galden part? I don`t recognize it but it looks useful. And from with set are those wings? Thanks!

Edited by Boindil Lego

The Disney Encanto sets that were revealed today are not historic-influenced, but they do have some fun recolors that could be potentially interesting for historic or fantasy builds, such as an arched wooden door (64390) in Bright Bluish Green. The Luigi's Mansion sets announced yesterday also have a lot of nice parts in earth tones like greys, browns, and greens, though none that immediately stand out to me as new recolors. Could be worth a look, though!

Edited by Aanchir

Series 22 leaflet leaked

The Moon Warrior seems to be something out of Sailor Moon. Reminds me a lot of the villains in that show. 

Bard is ok. Kind of a let down for me

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Bard is ok

Bard looks like a forest-man in blue so I like it, maybe we will get some in green next year for the anniversary set?

Moon Warrior really reminds me the most of World of Warcraft nightelves faction, especially the shield, hair color, and padded armor.

Edited by TeriXeri

It's kinda neat that the Bard minifigure's coins have a crown motif… although they're less versatile and harder to acquire in quantity than standard coin pieces or gold 1x1 round plates/tiles, there's something charming about the idea that the "Crownies" mint their own coinage. And even if you want to continue using more common parts for coins (as I suspect most medieval builders would), these ones could be used as something other than coinage, like a livery badge to indicate one's loyalty to the crown, or a signet ring or seal for royal missives.

The Bard's lute is also a wonderful new element, and his outfit is a great fit for medieval scenes.

The Moon Warrior has pretty strong fantasy RPG vibes, and I suspect that fantasy gaming on the LEGO design team had a hand in its influence (I'm not sure exactly how many LEGO designers are into tabletop or online RPGs, but I know Wes Talbott is, and I believe he's joined D&D sessions with some of his coworkers since moving to Denmark to join the design team).

That little forest gnome/pixie figure with the acorn cap is also an adorable idea for a fantasy figure, albeit a more difficult one to use as-is in a minifig-scale Castle layout since their cap implies a very different scale than "human" minifigures (much like the Duplo "Little Forest Friends" figures which inhabited an upscaled world of giant plants and insects). To me, their whimsical and design language (such as the smiling mushroom) evokes the feel of vintage fairy-tale illustrations rather than portrayals of the "fair folk" from more modern fantasy works. Even so, there's a lot of uniqueness and charm to the design, and it could easily be adapted to other fantasy settings with a change of headgear and accessories.

I'm really excited to see a new foal mold that finally fills the void left by the short-lived Paradisa foal from the 90s! It's very cute, and I can definitely imagine seeing recolors of it in future sets or minifigure series, much like we've seen for the cat mold that made its debut in The LEGO Movie minifigure series. The modern-day attire of the figure that accompanies that foal is less "groundbreaking", but could be useful for sigfigs.

Although the white sack from the Raccoon Girl minifigure is likely meant to represent a plastic trash bag in the context of that figure, it could also be very useful in historic builds for wool or linen sacks (since materials like hessian/burlap had not spread to Europe at that time, and silk and cotton were still expensive imported materials). Tan or Medium Stone Grey would probably be preferable for representing unbleached wool or linen, but alas, this piece has yet to appear in either of those colors.

10 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Bard looks like a forest-man in blue so I like it, maybe we will get some in green next year for the anniversary set?

I'm still hesitant to make any predictions about the anniversary set from that Ideas poll (I'd probably be content with a set based on any of the four top-voted themes, to be honest), but as awesome as it is to see a new color of the bycocket hat, I agree I'd love to see it in green or brown again in the future!

Certainly, outlaw factions in general (Forestmen, Pirates, Vikings, etc) can get away with having rather motley color schemes instead of a proper "uniform", and I've seen a number of portrayals of Robin Hood's merry men that manage to feel cohesive without any one color tying the whole group together. But "Lincoln Green" is still Robin's trademark color in traditional portrayals, and it's hard to make a convincing Forestmen faction without maintaining that tradition.

A shade of red would also be a useful future recolor for the bycocket hat. That tends to be Will Scarlet's signature color in most Robin Hood stories and adaptations, as his name suggests.

I don't know exactly why Forestmen-related stuff tends to be so exciting for me, since as a 90s kid, I largely missed out on the Forestmen sets, and Robin Hood stories weren't nearly as big a part of my childhood as fairy tales, stories of King Arthur's knights, or modern medieval fantasy stories like The Lord of the Rings or The Prydain Chronicles.

I suppose part of it is that I love the aesthetic of homes and hideouts integrated with natural woodsy settings (which is also something that greatly appealed to me about the LEGO Elves theme). Robin Hood stories are also very conducive to the sort of individualized heroic characters I enjoy in other themes, whereas knight factions often tend to focus more on generic "army builder" figures. Plus, the Forestmen's sneaky tactics (like roadside ambushes, covert rescue missions, and flashy one-on-one swordfights) appeal more to me than conventional siege warfare.

So even if the original Forestmen sets seem kind of underwhelming to me in hindsight a lot of the time, the concepts explored in those sets are something I'd love to see LEGO revisit in a modern take on that sort of heroic outlaw faction. Especially with how many great parts and techniques they have these days for building forest settings!

Bard's hat and feather look good, as does the foal, but that's probably about it for me

The release of a proper bard has taken surprisingly long, but I'm glad we'll be getting one! 

On 11/14/2021 at 8:17 PM, Aanchir said:

I'm really excited to see a new foal mold that finally fills the void left by the short-lived Paradisa foal from the 90s!

seconded!

On 11/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, Aanchir said:

I don't know exactly why Forestmen-related stuff tends to be so exciting for me, since as a 90s kid, I largely missed out on the Forestmen sets, and Robin Hood stories weren't nearly as big a part of my childhood as fairy tales, stories of King Arthur's knights, or modern medieval fantasy stories like The Lord of the Rings or The Prydain Chronicles.

I suppose part of it is that I love the aesthetic of homes and hideouts integrated with natural woodsy settings (which is also something that greatly appealed to me about the LEGO Elves theme). Robin Hood stories are also very conducive to the sort of individualized heroic characters I enjoy in other themes, whereas knight factions often tend to focus more on generic "army builder" figures. Plus, the Forestmen's sneaky tactics (like roadside ambushes, covert rescue missions, and flashy one-on-one swordfights) appeal more to me than conventional siege warfare.

So even if the original Forestmen sets seem kind of underwhelming to me in hindsight a lot of the time, the concepts explored in those sets are something I'd love to see LEGO revisit in a modern take on that sort of heroic outlaw faction. Especially with how many great parts and techniques they have these days for building forest settings!

I absolutely agree. Although, my first "large" castle set was 6071 Forestmen's Crossing which definitely made Forestmen a favorite. All the sneaky tactics, bravado, antihero-like status akin to musketeers and freedom fighters make it more fun! I too look forward to seeing more modernization of those concepts!