Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

On 3/27/2021 at 9:18 AM, Seaber said:

Do you have a pic of the lavender torso? 

Yup, it's 50925379697_1da4f875ea_m.jpg

(Image stolen from Makoy's BAM parts index)

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

Yup, it's...

Image stolen from Makoy's BAM parts index)

Very nice. Was there a corresponding skirt/skirt slope piece? Gutted I missed out on it! 

29 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Very nice. Was there a corresponding skirt/skirt slope piece? Gutted I missed out on it! 

Not sure actually, though I imagine so. I'm actually not sure how I'll get hold of it since it's not on Bricklink - it's two years old, so surely it would have been added to the database by now if it was forthcoming, and the sort of person who buys exclusive parts at BAM is probably not the sort who sells their entire collection on Facebook at bargain prices two or so years later

@Alexandrina, I don’t have it and have never seen one IRL, but if I come across it, I’m happy to let you know.

Do you have the LEGO design number? If so, LEGO Customer Service (CS)may be able to get it for you even if it isn’t listed on Bricks & Pieces. You will need to talk to CS on the phone though.

@Alexandrina.  I like this torso too.  According to Makoy's index it's only one year old and first started appearing in April 2020 - so the reason it hasn't made its way onto bricklink is probably because BAM hasn't been very accessible for most people in the past year.

The index also shows a corresponding lavender skirt piece that also appears to be currently exclusive to BAM in this colour.  This is showing up in small numbers on bricklink (part# 36036).

There's a pic of the torso and skirt together that someone posted on page 23 of the BAM thread Here.

If there's no luck through CS then I'm hopeful it will start being accessible via BAM and, following that, bricklink once BAM is more accessible again.

Edited by Weil
making @ work

On 3/31/2021 at 11:57 AM, Weil said:

If there's no luck through CS then I'm hopeful it will start being accessible via BAM and, following that, bricklink once BAM is more accessible again.

I definitely hope so. Shops in the UK are due to open on the 12th, presuming there's not another spike in the meantime, so I might try and get to the Lego store in either Bristol or Cardiff and see if they have any kicking about.

Recently got a Snake Rattler (City) minifig, and thought it would be an interesting head for a Pirate,  then I looked it up and the same head is actually already used in the Barracuda Bay set :pir_laugh2: 

cty1130.pngidea066.png

(difference from brickset source pictures seem to be actual photo vs render)

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Recently got a Snake Rattler (City) minifig, and thought it would be an interesting head for a Pirate,  then I looked it up and the same head is actually already used in the Barracuda Bay set :pir_laugh2: 

(difference from brickset source pictures seem to be actual photo vs render)

As tiring as the City theme's emphasis on "cops vs. crooks" conflict can sometimes be, it's certainly a great source for grizzled-looking face prints that can work well for all sorts of ne'er-do-wells, even in historical or sci-fi settings!

8 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

A head like that could also be good for bandits in a medieval setting (much like how the old-school pirate minifig heads were reused on Wolfpack and Dark Forest figures).

On another note, I just noticed there's been no mention of the Winnie the Pooh set in this thread. Although there aren't many minifig parts in that set which would be useful in a historic context (aside from Piglet's scarf, which is not new to that set), it does seem like a great parts pack for landscaping and foliage elements, on par with sets like Bag End or the LEGO Ideas Treehouse. Those parts include numerous brand-new recolors like Bright Green coral, Medium Nougat 1x5x4 half-arches, Reddish Brown Technic hubs with four clips, and Medium Nougat 2x2 macaroni tubes, white sack/bindle, and printed 1x1 round tiles representing bees and ladybugs.

The current Harry Potter leaks include Hogwarts First Flying Lesson. It has the house heraldries printed (looks like they aren't stickers) on the Nexo Knights shield tile. This looks like a good direction for potential future Castle set heraldry inclusion, instead of the standard shields sticking out from the walls. The build seems to be mostly the castle wall facade with a flying broom lever function. I see this as a pretty good parts pack for tan castle builders.

11 minutes ago, LettuceBrick said:

Hogsmeade has minifig shields new? in dark red. The Chamber of Secrets seems to have some sort of curved window pane that could be useful.

Where in the Hogsmeade images are you seeing a dark red shield? The curved windows in The Chamber of Secrets is just a recolor of the ones currently available in some Friends sets.

the hogwarts castle is epic !!!!! also the hogsmead can be used as a peasant village sort of

54 minutes ago, LettuceBrick said:

Hogsmeade has minifig shields new? in dark red. The Chamber of Secrets seems to have some sort of curved window pane that could be useful.

You mean the triangular shields towards the top of the roofs? I think those are Reddish Brown, not Dark Red. Still new/useful, though! And yes, the 3x3x2 quarter-circle windowpanes in Reddish Brown are a great new recolor as well. Some of the spires on the castle also include Sand Green recolors of the 2x2x3 drill piece from LEGO Nexo Knights, which was previously only available in Silver Metallic, and the 2x4x3 half-cone, which was previously only in Dark Stone Grey and Dark Green.

The snake statues in the Chamber of Secrets are a Medium Stone Grey and Tr. Bright Green recolor of one of the Ninjago Pyro Viper heads, and the owl-shaped lectern in the Great Hall is a Warm Gold recolor of the owl with outstretched wings. There is also an actual barn owl in Sand Yellow with printed white feathers (which is both a new recolor and a new print of the owl mold with folded wings). The Chamber also includes a 4x6x6 slide in Black, the first time it's appeared in a neutral color.

All in all, they're both lovely sets and impressive parts packs. It's a shame that J.K. Rowling's recent dogmatic obsession with vilifying transgender people has pretty much entirely soured my ability to enjoy the Harry Potter brand in good conscience. If these sets had come out ten years ago, I would have greatly enjoyed them, but now, I would feel sick to my stomach at the thought of adding any of them to my collection. :sick:

I honestly hope it's not too long before the theme gets retired again and the designers get re-assigned to other themes where their knack for medieval fantasy architecture can shine without that sort of ethical baggage. :sadnew:

21 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

You mean the triangular shields towards the top of the roofs?

Yes, exactly those. And you're right, they're reddish brown. All the better for practice/militia shields then!

Also the chess set is an amazing set purely from the perspective of the parts that will hopefully be available on Bricks and Pieces: black great helms, black conical helmets, black gladiator swords, possibly even a black longsword! Not all that much that is new, but still useful parts to have in production.

Better quality of the Harry Potter chess set also out now on instagram! Lots of helmet pieces for castle there. Are they a new colour? Don't recall seeing white before and not sure if the dark is new colour or meant to be DBG as it looks a bit shiny? Most excited for the soldier headgear! It looks like a new mould but I wish they brought back the old headgear below for foot soldiers.

headgear.png

12 minutes ago, chill9394 said:

Better quality of the Harry Potter chess set also out now on instagram! Lots of helmet pieces for castle there. Are they a new colour? Don't recall seeing white before and not sure if the dark is new colour or meant to be DBG as it looks a bit shiny? Most excited for the soldier headgear! It looks like a new mould but I wish they brought back the old headgear below for foot soldiers.

headgear.png

The helmets on the pawns are this part, which actually came in white before. I've always thought they could be used for medieval helms, and this set gives credence to the idea. 

There will be a white great helm now which is good and can't wait to pick up more of the white helms with the nasal part.  Plus there is a new rock piece in the chamber of secrets set.  Nagini looks great.  Those pixies will be quite useful.  The gladius in white is new too.  Plus the Ninjago pyro viper in grey and green is great.  Some more owls and some great looking figs that can easily be used in fantasy/castle settings.  

2 hours ago, chill9394 said:

headgear.png

Where is there a link?

15 hours ago, natesroom said:

Where is there a link?

Don’t know about IG but there are official images at Brickset. Brickset images expand when you click on them and expand further if you then click on the crossed arrows icon in the picture’s corner.

Edited by AmperZand

Okay, now that LEGO has released so many high-quality pictures on their website, here are some other parts that stand out to me:

• The bathroom set includes the 1x5x3 wooden stable door in Dark Brown (its first appearance in a natural/unpainted wood color).
  • The Chamber of Secrets set includes a brand-new candelabra piece in Warm Gold inside Lockhart's classroom. In earlier pics I didn't look closely enough to realize, because I assumed it was built from multiple existing elements.
  • The base of the buildable Hermione's wand seems to include a pumpkin in Sand Yellow. Could be useful for other types of gourds, as a stuffed head on a scarecrow/effigy, or as a decorative element on columns.
  • No new pieces involved, but the lantern construction in the flying lesson set (using a small train/minecart wheel and a harpoon) is a nifty technique that could be worth keeping in mind for the future. Also, this is the first set to contain the 3x4 crate in Black in over 15 years!
  • Besides creatures, some of the new Olive Green recolors in the Basilisk like the 2x2 curved neck/tail segment with pin hole, 2x2 macaroni tube with axle hole, and the old-school dinosaur tail middle and end segments could be great for upscaled plantlife, like giant vines or a magic beanstalk.
Edited by Aanchir

Those new Harry Potter sets appear to have some exellent elements, especially if you are a fan of Fantasy. For example I'd love to get my hands on multiple copies of that Basilisk to create a Hydra - gonna have to explore how feasible that would be. And the small flying creatures look like a ton of fun too, Pixies I believe they were called? It's just too bad that LEGO sets are getting increasingly more expensive over here.

Lots of useful minifigure parts/accessories for fantasy/fantasy-horror enthusiasts in the Summer ‘21 wave of Vidiyo: Images on Brickset

The Metal Dragon, Folk Fairy, Bandmate Vampiress and Bandmate Mermaid are especially cool. The latter has a Japanese vibe complete with a print of a shuriken pendant! The squid-head piece has also caught my eye.

Edited by AmperZand

9 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Lots of useful minifigure parts/accessories for fantasy/fantasy-horror enthusiasts in the Summer ‘21 wave of Vidiyo: Images on Brickset

The Metal Dragon, Folk Fairy, Bandmate Vampiress and Bandmate Mermaid are especially cool. The latter has a Japanese vibe complete with a print of a shuriken pendant! The squid-head piece has also caught my eye.

The squid head piece is too colorful for me.  Hopefully down the line they use some more earthy tones with grey, blue, green or brown.  I would even like red or a dark purple.  The dragon head and wings look great.  Some of the hairpieces look great too.  The fairy's do look really good and I like those mermaid tail, they both have great prints.  

I'm not that impressed by the dragon, given the previous CMF we already have.