Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

14 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I particularly like the Princess Iron Fan minifigure

i definitely agree with you. Her design is great and would be very suitable for fantasy MOCs. If only B&P would open again soon, maybe she could be available there...:look:

On 5/16/2020 at 3:33 AM, Aurore said:

i definitely agree with you. Her design is great and would be very suitable for fantasy MOCs. If only B&P would open again soon, maybe she could be available there...:look:

In the US you can't get any of the figs except the generic heads and torso's.  No monkie kid or red sun, no monkey king, and none of the villains are on B&P.  Not a real good selection of figs at all.  I'm hoping Ninjago is different and at least you can get the different skeletons, maybe the trolls or goblins too.  

16 hours ago, zoth33 said:

In the US you can't get any of the figs except the generic heads and torso's.  No monkie kid or red sun, no monkey king, and none of the villains are on B&P.  Not a real good selection of figs at all.  I'm hoping Ninjago is different and at least you can get the different skeletons, maybe the trolls or goblins too.  

Is B&P open again in the US? It's still unavailable on the website here.

12 hours ago, Frike said:

Is B&P open again in the US? It's still unavailable on the website here.

Yes it is.  They even have the Monkie Kid sets on there.  

It's official: Lego cannot design a reasonable sword if their lives depended on it.
I hoped that 66964 would be useful, but it's once again a clumsy oversized weapon that cannot be hanged from the saddle.
Maybe next time.

It's funny, I remember sets from 30 or so years ago frequently used to use the clips on saddles, for swords, guns, flags, etc. I cannot think of any modern sets where the box art shows the clips on the saddles being used - probably only the winter village market for the flame on the carousel horse. Given the way parts often change design over the years, I wonder why they still have clips if they are not actually used for anything.

Edited by MAB

6 hours ago, Aine said:

I hoped that 66964 would be useful, but it's once again a clumsy oversized weapon that cannot be hanged from the saddle.

I don't care much for the saddle, but what I would like to see is a more universal sword holder for the back or hips of minifigs, because now most blades are too broad, too thick, or both, to fit.

Summarizing what we got this year so far:

• Heaps of traditional Chinese printed pieces and recoloured pumpkins (Chinese New Year)
  • Hieroglyphs (Haunted House)
  • New pirate designs and an inn banner (Barracuda Bay)
  • Lightning bolt and leaf recolours (Trolls World Tour)
  • New smaller Polynesian kayak sail, new owl, printed decorated 2x2 jumper, medieval Chinese and European chibi-minidolls (Disney Princess, Storybook Adventures)
  • Recoloured leaves and ghost tails, new ghoul add-onn part pack (Hidden Side, winter wave)
  • New 'full-fantasy' ghoul solders, new ghoul master with new ghost tail piece, recoloured candle flames in trans light blue (Hidden Side, summer wave)
  • New 45-degree stud on a bar piece, new energy piece, and recoloured chains and and sorcerer lightning (DC Superheroes CMF)
  • All-new knight, pirate and viking figs with new broadsword, printed shields and decorated helmet, new tortoise, recoloured sombrero (CMF series 20)
  • Printed 2x2 with Chinese dragon design, new small moulded fire dragon head and large body piece, new long beard and male ponytail (Ninjago winter wave)
  • New shoulder armour, printed shields and new swords, new evil sorcerer, new troll, goblin and elemental minifigs, recoloured shoulder armour, conical hats skeletons, bones, transparent rock boulder and flame pieces (Ninjago summer wave)
  • New capes (Mandalorian battle pack)
  • New and recoloured plant pieces (Minions)
  • New dinosaurs (Jurassic World)
  • All-new centaurs! , transparent animals, giant, owl with spread wings, recoloured large flame pieces (Harry Potter)
  • Recoloured golden helmet and spider web parts pack (Marvel Superheroes)
  • All-new valkyrie-ish minifig, cheetah and white bat anthropomorphs (DC Superheroes)
  • New sorceress and Monkey King figures, a load of shiny golden parts (Monkie Kid)

All things considered, this is pretty good! Monkey Kid is much less useful than expected, but the Ninjago summer wave is surprisingly 'neutral' fantasy. The centaur is a top-tier addition to LEGO fantasy as a whole, and I personally think the recoloured blue and green torch and candle flame pieces are in the same class, because they can contribute enormously to a fantasy atmosphere.

A few years ago I posted a lengthy wishlist in this thread (not entirely sure), with both the flames and centaurs on there. I should really dig it up because I know there are a couple more things that have been introduced since posting it. :classic:

Edited by Exetrius
typos

Yep, you are right, both of you. Clips are no longer used, and some kind of holder would be amazing!

After reading New Elementary's article on LEGO Mario new parts, I think a few of them may be of interest for fantasy builds.

Those plates with feet could be used for brick-built creatures such as giants :
LEGO-SuperMario_2x2Feet_Colors.png
LEGO-SuperMario_2x3Feet_Colors.png

Ditto for those new wings :
LEGO-SuperMario_Wings.png

Easy roof base for small buildings?

LEGO-SuperMario_Shells_Colors.png

For SNOT enthusiasts!

LEGO-SuperMario_1x2x123_SNOT.png

And many new kinds of plates.

(all images are from New Elementary's article)

I like those wings, nice for use on angels and other winged creatures, but also for architectural decoration.

I'm here for recent-part recommendations. What're some good currently-in-production (by that I mean available on Bricks & Pieces) torsos, for whatever kinds of medieval/fantasy warriors? I'm not super picky; anything that looks vaguely like some kind of fantasy warrior is potentially good here. (I guess if I'm specific I'd say chainmail/plate would be nice, but whatever kind of armor-ish thing is fine, or even, I dunno, blacksmith torsos or whatever.) Legs are useful too, but I might be combining the torsos with short legs to make dwarves. (I'm also not SUPER into printed legs to start; I mean they're fine and can be quite good, but unprinted legs are also fine for many purposes, so long as the torso print ends cleanly.) Are there some current printed legs with JUST a belt, suitable for medieval/fantasy?

I was contemplating dwarf faces, and... Perhaps Cole's recent faces are actually good for this. I think the thick eyebrows look dwarfy. Perhaps one would need black beards to match.

I don't supposed there are many beard-compatible, dwarf-y helmets to choose from out of the current parts? Will I have to delve BrickLink for Fantasy Era dwarf helmets and beards, at whatever enormous markup? Or maybe my dwarves will just have to wear 3844, that ancient conical helmet, and look like they're from 1978...

For other helmets, what should be on my radar, other than 89520 (that cylindrical one) and 48493 (the generic Evil Guy Helmet, new in pearl gold!). I guess 4503, that ancient face-grille helmet, still looks great after all these years, and shockingly is still in production.

For armor, are there some printed 2587 variants in production right now? How would I go about finding all the printed variants of 2587, anyway? Is there an easy way to do that on Brickset or BrickLink?

Also, what's with 65432 (the winter 2020 Ninjago villain's beard, sick design ID by the way) being so damn expensive on B&P? It's 1.59 US! Looks good, but at that price man I gotta pass on principle.

I thought about lego animals. There are lots of them already, although some of them are rare, namely goat (and to some extent cow), but one is missing - I'd love to see megablocks. I mean: donkey! :-)
That'll be cool!

16 hours ago, Aine said:

I thought about lego animals. There are lots of them already, although some of them are rare, namely goat (and to some extent cow), but one is missing - I'd love to see megablocks. I mean: donkey! :-)
That'll be cool!

I just laughed out loud at work as I realized there is must be an automatic word replacement from "@$S" to megablocks. :grin:

On 6/18/2020 at 3:25 PM, Flak Maniak said:

For armor, are there some printed 2587 variants in production right now? How would I go about finding all the printed variants of 2587, anyway? Is there an easy way to do that on Brickset or BrickLink?

Search for 2587* on bricklink. That will give you the sets they are in, which you can then use on B+P.

According to the description of the next Monkie Kid sets that showed up on the LEGO Malaysian website, we may be getting new interesting minifigs for fantasy setting. Namely, a second depiction of Princess Iron Fan (I hope she will have a different outfit, but I highly doubt it), and a Spider Queen. 

I'm wondering what the "Calabash weapons" mentioned in the description of Monkie Kid's Cloud Roadster could be, though.

Most of the theme was way more sci-fi than I initially anticipated, so now I won't hype until I see anything. 

The mummy man in the Halloween Hayride set (revealed earlier this week) is quite nice, though finding a tan mummy-like head may be difficult. Also, not yet mentioned in my list above: the printed hieroglyphs from the new Haunted House. Egypt is back, baby! :grin: 

11 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Most of the theme was way more sci-fi than I initially anticipated, so now I won't hype until I see anything. 

The mummy man in the Halloween Hayride set (revealed earlier this week) is quite nice, though finding a tan mummy-like head may be difficult. Also, not yet mentioned in my list above: the printed hieroglyphs from the new Haunted House. Egypt is back, baby! :grin: 

There's always the 2002 Tusken Raider head.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:51 AM, Aurore said:

According to the description of the next Monkie Kid sets that showed up on the LEGO Malaysian website, we may be getting new interesting minifigs for fantasy setting. Namely, a second depiction of Princess Iron Fan (I hope she will have a different outfit, but I highly doubt it), and a Spider Queen. 

I'm wondering what the "Calabash weapons" mentioned in the description of Monkie Kid's Cloud Roadster could be, though.

The characters that those demons are based on are the Golden and Silver Horned Kings, so perhaps they're related to the magic items they used in Journey to the West? "Calabash" is a type of gourd, which is one of the magical items used by the characters in the story.

Also, for a better look at some of these figures at least in an animated depiction, they can be briefly seen in the Monkie Kid intro (link goes to the part of the intro featuring them, but it's a very quick montage so you may want to look at it frame by frame by pausing and using the < and > keys to advance one frame at a time).

Those horned demons and the spider queen in the new Monkie Kid sets are going to be very useful.  All 3 figs are great.  Can't wait to get my hands on them and start making custom figs.  

I agree, those three new figs are gorgeous! :wub: 
The sets also seem to feature a nice new cloud-shaped element.

Breaking news: the hat with ears used for Christmas elves appears with fleshie ears in the new Friends Advent calendar!!

Seen in this pic (SPOILER for advent calendar enthousiasts!): 

Spoiler

41420-lego-friends-advent-calendar-2020_

Also, the Harry Potter calendar includes a trans (glitter?) clear flame piece, the old school one:

Spoiler

75891-lego-harry-potter-advent-calendar-

So that's one more flame piece recoloured this year! :sweet:

Btw, those Monkie Kid villains look really good, love the orange and blue ogres!!

On 7/22/2020 at 8:01 PM, Exetrius said:

Also, the Harry Potter calendar includes a trans (glitter?) clear flame piece, the old school one:

So that's one more flame piece recoloured this year! :sweet:

Btw, those Monkie Kid villains look really good, love the orange and blue ogres!!

Thanks for the HP flame recolour tip-off. I was not aware that that part was being done in trans clear (or glitter). :thumbup:

The MK demons are called Jin and Yin respectively, at least in Mandarin. Their names are printed on their torsos. I think that in English, they will be known as Gold and Silver, the meaning of their names. 

The forthcoming Spider Queen from MK looks pretty cool, too.

Edited by AmperZand