Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

Interesting the new sword is that big.  I actually like it a lot better than the latest mold.  Hopefully I can get some of the knights soon.  

3 hours ago, Trance89 said:

I came across this new Harry Potter set on Brickset:

I saw that over at Brickset, too.

The centaurs are great even if you’re not into HP (I’m not) and the tree is fine. 

Don’t like the giant, Grawp, though. Already looking to divest myself of it once I have the set. Won’t even be assembling the parts.

Edited by AmperZand
Removed picture

I think there are some big flame pieces with trans orange and trans black which would be useful for burning buildings and other flaming scenes.  Not to mention all the new torso's that can be used from the Harry Potter line.  That deatheater dummy in the room of requirement set is going to be quite useful.  Grawp could be used for a generic giant.  Definitely some great pieces and figs coming this summer.  

10 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I saw that over at Brickset, too.

The centaurs are great even if you’re not into HP (I’m not) and the tree is fine. 

Don’t like the giant, Grawp, though. Already looking to divest myself of it once I have the set. Won’t even be assembling the parts.

I think the giant looks better if you can appreciate that it is literally a brick-built and up-scaled minifigure. I am personally quite impressed at the shapes and proportions. That aside - I'm probably gonna get this set because of the centaurs and parts but I'll definitely dismantle him, poor thing.

They really need to make the Mixels ball-joints in other colours than grey.

8 hours ago, Frike said:

I think the giant looks better if you can appreciate that it is literally a brick-built and up-scaled minifigure. 

I get that. And I can see that some (many?) will really like Grawp the way it is. But to me, it's not aesthetically pleasing. It's angular in the wrong places, has holes in its thighs and face, has light bley shoulder joints (@MAB's point), is bitty along its arms and is covered in stickers. 

It should have been moulded and printed. If required to keep the cost down, I would have been OK with static legs (i.e. a single piece for its torso and legs) with articulated arms at the shoulders and wrists (with new R and L arm moulds) and a new head. If all that had added £5 to the set's cost, I would have been fine with that.

Oh, well. :def_shrug: I have already waited over 25 years for a cool LEGO fantasy giant. I suppose I can wait some more.

Edited by AmperZand

3 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I get that. And I can see that some (many?) will really like Grawp the way it is. But to me, it's not aesthetically pleasing. It's angular in the wrong places, has holes in its thighs and face, has light bley shoulder joints (@MAB's point), is bitty along its arms and is covered in stickers. 

It also has ears and a nose, unlike most minifigures. Surely a scaled up minifigure should not have those.

I think some of the new dinosaurs have a potential for fantasy settings. The ankylosaurus could look nice with a few orcs on top. Dwarves could ride small triceratopses and so on...   

11 hours ago, Wardancer said:

I think some of the new dinosaurs have a potential for fantasy settings. The ankylosaurus could look nice with a few orcs on top. Dwarves could ride small triceratopses and so on...   

I was thinking the same thing.  Especially the small triceratops.  The new bull figs might work for another Minotaur faction from the Monkie Kid theme, I will have to see what I can do with them.

I had a closer look at the june Hidden Side sets, and the Castle of Mystery features some rather interesting parts for (dark) fantasy. Especially the minifigs and glass windows. :wub:

49848482818_de1d6065b8_o.png

49849015351_d5e07c08c3_o.png

I also quite like the trans light blue wings from the Supernatural Race Car. I hope B&P will be open again by june, and that the parts will be available!

49849367907_fefdfcc69b_o.png

There's an IG post comparing the Hidden Side castle to the Monster Fighters one. I commented there that they were from the Fantasy Era dark timeline where the Evil Wizard won.

That new armor and ghost tail piece is awesome.  Those are going to be very useful hope they make them in different colors.  I can't wait to get the castle and mod it.  So many useful figs, parts, new molds this year.  

10 hours ago, zoth33 said:

That new armor and ghost tail piece is awesome.  

If you mean the ones pictured by @Aurore above, I very much agree. I wasn't planning on getting the castle though and the minifigure only comes in that set, so will be difficult/expensive to obtain.

Between the coloring and bat symbol of the ghost knights of the last CMF wave and these new villains, I see a faction coming together.

I cannot help but compare the offiviel LEGO Harry Potter centaurs to the printed Brickforge ones. The Brickforge ones look so much better. Unfortunately shipping to Germany is very expensive.

8 hours ago, Wardancer said:

I cannot help but compare the offiviel LEGO Harry Potter centaurs to the printed Brickforge ones. The Brickforge ones look so much better. Unfortunately shipping to Germany is very expensive.

If your talking in respect to lego not having printing yes, though I do like that lego colored the tail the same as the torso.  I'm sure we will get centaurs in other iterations down the road.  Hopefully in a new castle theme.  Maybe the next time we see the centaur body it will be printed.  

On 5/4/2020 at 7:46 PM, Wardancer said:

Firestar Toys in the UK sells the printed BF centaur bodies for between £7 and £9 plus Royal Mail postage to European destinations. Not cheap, but probably less than ordering from the US. For the time being, the transition arrangements mean that there shouldn't be any duty to EU countries.

Personally, I prefer the unprinted equine parts to the printed ones and have two in my display collection and three in reserve. But that's just me. Maybe I'm weird. :classic: 

Thanks for the idea, but I am after the furry ones, which Firestar Toys does not have. Never mind. I'll find a way sometime.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, Bardan_Jusik said:

I am in LOVE with that new castle from Hidden Side! Holy moly soo much good!

I hadn't seen or heard of this!!!!  So excited now, definitely getting one (or two?!)!!!!  It is very similar feeling to the Monster Fighters castle yet with expanded features. 

On 5/3/2020 at 8:00 PM, zoth33 said:

That new armor and ghost tail piece is awesome.  Those are going to be very useful hope they make them in different colors.  I can't wait to get the castle and mod it.  So many useful figs, parts, new molds this year.  

Agreed!  This really makes me think that ...  {next quote}

On 5/4/2020 at 8:09 AM, Bardan_Jusik said:

Between the coloring and bat symbol of the ghost knights of the last CMF wave and these new villains, I see a faction coming together.

Yes, a fantasy style ghost warrior faction!!!  Maybe I can finally create characters and join a guild!

On 4/29/2020 at 11:05 AM, AmperZand said:

It should have been moulded and printed. If required to keep the cost down, I would have been OK with static legs (i.e. a single piece for its torso and legs) with articulated arms at the shoulders and wrists (with new R and L arm moulds) and a new head.

While I'd also prefer molded, this appears to be Lego's solution to characters larger than bigfig going forward. Ares, Giant Man, Stone Warrior, and now Grawp have all been made in this "brick-built minifigure" style.