Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

Great info! I knew that there must be some way how to do this, otherwise there would be no Minifigure Torso Assemblies in existence, but I was afraid that lego has some special machine that does this in a more gentle way than a human can ever do by the hand. I'll try some old stuff, then I'll use the cmf Elf torsos and other cool stuff to design my own factons.
Thanks again!

@Aine, I’m pretty sure there is nothing gentle about how LEGO’s automated assembly process attaches arms to torsos. In all likelihood, they just get pushed into place; no delicacy involved.

If you gently ease the arms out and replace them equally carefully, you’re probably stressing the torso less than when the arms were put in in the factory. Of course, the more you do it, the more you stress the torso. But you would need to do it a lot to crack a torso. The exception is if the torso is old (older torsos were moulded differently and prone to splitting between the waist and the armpit) or if the arms come from a different minifigure (some very small differences in tolerances can make arms too tight or loose in some torsos). 

But if all you’re doing is swapping the arms and you slowly ease them out/in, the risk of torso cracking is very low indeed.

The worst you can expect is that the arm becomes slightly loose. If that happens, you can easily fix them with Humbrol Satin Coate.

@AmperZand Thanks a lot! The reason why I'm reluctnant to start my own factions, is because of the need for arms' switching, and it was something that I was pretty afraid of. But you are right that the factory machines must be much less gentle my my own hands.

Over time, some of the plasticizer may leach out of the ABS, so there is the possibility of embrittlement of old pieces, but for newer pieces, it's pretty safe in my experience.  I have seen arms become loose if they get swapped all the time, however.

Most likely the arms will break before the torso. I have a few very old (70s/80s) torsos that have a hairline crack, and a few broken arms of unknown vintage (not new) from 100s of minifigs.

But most of the time the worst thing you may encounter (as already mentioned), is loose hanging arms after repeated swapping.

On 7/5/2019 at 11:39 PM, CallMeCarbiz said:

I don't think this warrants a new topic, if so please forgive me. I found a few familiar parts in the Build-A-Minifigure tower at the LEGO store in Castleton, IN. There was a shell bra torso as well, but my daughter took off with that one. 

sgUzo8H.jpg

I found 3 Frightening Knights and shields to add to my army. 

Good day, everychon!

I'm two month late, however I was able to find these shields in the BAM tower of my Store.

I was less lucky for the torso, however I found this Ninjago torse that somewhat matches the medieval look.

028b3e387328e7c740f9746e78f5f36f39326b06

ab637d5ce9bda871b27e42c09739ee979c3a90c37

archers-featured-700x390.jpg

Edited by Cavannus

Wait, those shields are in the BaM selection as well? I saw the helmets and torsos already, but never the shields. Guess I have to ask the store staff. Great find, thanks for sharing!

16 hours ago, Darnok said:

Wait, those shields are in the BaM selection as well? I saw the helmets and torsos already, but never the shields. Guess I have to ask the store staff. Great find, thanks for sharing!

Looking at the number on Bricklink, they are relatively common now.

10 minutes ago, MAB said:

Looking at the number on Bricklink, they are relatively common now.

I asked in my store today, and they still had a bag of them. :classic:

Thanos leaked, wearing a Vladek helmet recoloured in Warm Gold! Imo, it's one of the best LEGO helmets ever, so I'm really happy to get it in a different colour! :knight: :grin:

Edited by Exetrius

16 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Thanos leaked, wearing a Vladek helmet recoloured in Warm Gold! Imo, it's one of the best LEGO helmets ever, so I'm really happy to get it in a different colour! :knight: :grin:

Agreed and the set is $10 so nice and cheap to get.  I hope it lands on Bricks and Pieces too.  I would buy a ton of those.  Plus the Thanos fig itself looks pretty good.  

The torso of the leaked SW Tuskan Raider may be interesting for a medieval peddler or any other character who would need plenty of pouches! I hope it will be easy to find on BL.

There's definitely some new parts added to the Brickset database last week from Star Wars, Frozen 2, and Overwatch that could be quite promising for historic uses:

You can browse the full batch of newly-added parts here: https://brickset.com/parts/new-06-10-2019

Those are some great parts there Aanchir.  The window pieces are going to be very useful.  The new hood pieces look great can't wait to get some of those to build some new custom figs with.  

21 hours ago, Aanchir said:

There's definitely some new parts added to the Brickset database last week from Star Wars, Frozen 2, and Overwatch that could be quite promising for historic uses:

Thanks for the heads-up! I was surprised to find out about the printed lattice window, it looks pretty good I hope they're planning more with these pieces. Also, I had no idea that tree wall thing was a single piece! 

I know it's cliché, but..

Spoiler

let's hope they're preparing a new castle theme with these elements. :tongue:

The tan golden ingot will be super useful for architecture builds and sci-fi!

Jay Garrick from the DC minifigure line leaked, and his helmet is as good a Gaul helmet as we're gonna get.

Photos of a new "Trolls" line are leaking...But sadly they look much more cartoonish than fantasy. I hope the line will still bring us new parts for fantasy MOCs... 

Edit: apparently, I'm living under a rock. I guess most of you already know the "Trolls" LEGO line corresponds to a 2020 sequel of a 2016 animation film - I did not. :wall:
Given the look and feel of the film, my hope in new parts for fantasy MOCs has now decreased. At least some musical instruments in not-so-cartoonish color? Please?

Edited by Aurore

Also, the trolls cowboy appears to have centaur legs in sand blue, although I think that red thing that sticks out will be part of it as well... The purple troll seems to have some kind of genie leg piece, that may be nice.

Edited by Exetrius

Some of the minifigures and some of the parts from the latest Collectible Minifigure series, S19, are or can be repurposed for 'historical' (fantasy/horror) themes. Also pictured are the new torso and skirt vampire pieces from a BAM selection.

Please disregard the non-purist parts.

cmf_s19.jpg

Hidden Side supplies us with many new things:

70430: Newbury Subway Station - Leaves in Azure! Ghost leg in recoloured in red, sea weed in black, and some ghost heads.

70429-1.jpg?201911141042

70429: El Fuego's Stunt Airplane - New energy/'splat' parts pack! One of them can be worn around the neck and is suspiciously similar to a Brick Forge piece (not complaining, though):

Spoiler

6276848910_e36d6d31af.jpg

70428-1.jpg?201911141042

70428: Jack's Beach Buggy - speaking of similar pieces, I have seen a piece to make two-headed figures before... Anyway, my first impression on LEGO's take on it is.. eh, not very positive. It might be the colours or the angle, but to me the (lack of) transition from torso to the heads looks awkward. 

Spoiler

10_Cyber_Monday_Raw__88441.1542857193.jp

70432: Ghost Fair - There is a ghost piece that divides the legs and the torso, which looks pretty cool

That said, though, it would be really cool if all of these ghost parts (also the ones from the current wave) would come in trans clear, trans red, trans light blue, or opaque black. Imagine the possibilities! 

@Aine, Third party. I think it’s Little Armory from its long discontinued medieval weapons range.

@Exetrius, The new Hidden Side two-headed minifigure is the first LEGO has done with unmodified heads. Hopefully, it will do more.

Yeah those Hidden Side sets have some great pieces, especially the recolored ghost legs.  Those pieces in el fuegos plane set are going to be great and very useful, especially if they make other colors.  New leaf pieces are always welcome.  I really like the ghost heads this wave too.