Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

9 hours ago, Rockstaremcee said:

Yes!  I'm excited for that.  I already plan on picking up one of the new Expecto Patronum (75945) [or maybe two] today.

I'm using the patronum as a snow spirit stag companion for my ice elf maiden (seen picture centre here without the stag).

Edited by AmperZand

My non-AFOL wife came home with the patronus set last night. She's slowly coming around to the brickside! :grin_wub:

I looked her patronus over and I think we'll start seeing normal stags soon. Possibly even does since the antlers are a separate piece of soft rubbery plastic anchored in the head and could easily be replaced by a blank filler piece. I'm stoked about the possibilities of the mold!

16 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I'm using the patronum as a snow spirit stag companion for my ice elf maiden (seen picture centre here without the stag).

That's awesome!  Is that your created character or a CMF?

1 hour ago, Masked Mini said:

My non-AFOL wife came home with the patronus set last night. She's slowly coming around to the brickside! :grin_wub:

I looked her patronus over and I think we'll start seeing normal stags soon. Possibly even does since the antlers are a separate piece of soft rubbery plastic anchored in the head and could easily be replaced by a blank filler piece. I'm stoked about the possibilities of the mold!

Mwuhahahaha Excellent.

3 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

I had the idea - as have many other AFOLs - that LEGO might recolour the stag as Santa's reindeers. Unlike the large cats (panther, jaguar etc), the stag mould has space for a 1 x 2 brick and plate. If you remove the plate, you can then put a horse hitching to a sleigh. I wouldn't use it for Santa myself; I would have it as a mount for Thranduil:

170?cb=20180407150834 

1 hour ago, Rockstaremcee said:

That's awesome!  Is that your created character or a CMF?

Thank you! :blush: It's the body, cape and 'shield' of Elsa from the Disney S2 CMFs with the CMF elf maiden's head and a minidoll's hair (with ears I recoloured). The sword's hilt is a lightsabre in white with a BrickForge blade.

Stag mounts for sure!

My second thought last night was mounting my barbarians on stags for some truly wild cavalry.

13 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I had the idea - as have many other AFOLs - that LEGO might recolour the stag as Santa's reindeers. Unlike the large cats (panther, jaguar etc), the stag mould has space for a 1 x 2 brick and plate. If you remove the plate, you can then put a horse hitching to a sleigh. I wouldn't use it for Santa myself; I would have it as a mount for Thranduil:

For Santa, Sven works OK.

reindeerpb01.png

However, he is a bit too cartoonish for Thranduil to ride!

I don't think this warrants a new topic, if so please forgive me. I found a few familiar parts in the Build-A-Minifigure tower at the LEGO store in Castleton, IN. There was a shell bra torso as well, but my daughter took off with that one. 

sgUzo8H.jpg

I found 3 Frightening Knights and shields to add to my army. 

Edited by CallMeCarbiz

The match simply could not be any better. This REALLY raises my hopes of a Lion Crusader CMF or DTC set (a castle wave may still be a pipe dream).

joRlFhgh.jpg

I also snagged a few Knights, an opportunity not to be missed! Now if only they'd stock the Wolfpack Dark Archers... I'd devote a substantial amount to BAM.

CCmwpqCh.jpg

Edited by Masked Mini

Those are really nice hauls I will have to check out the 2 local stores here soon.  

22 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

This REALLY raises my hopes of a Lion Crusader CMF or DTC set (a castle wave may still be a pipe dream)

While I think we'd all like to see that here, I think they are experimenting with BAM as a way of releasing parts that many of us want but do not fit within the current range of themes. Anyway, wonderful shield design, I picked up four already! :grin:

2 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I think they are experimenting with BAM as a way of releasing parts that many of us want but do not fit within the current range of themes. 

You know... I'm totally fine with that. Bricks we can get, if that's the way we get to source heraldry, accessories and printed pirate/castle figs then I'm on board. It beats getting nothing by a nautical mile.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:50 PM, Exetrius said:

While I think we'd all like to see that here, I think they are experimenting with BAM as a way of releasing parts that many of us want but do not fit within the current range of themes. Anyway, wonderful shield design, I picked up four already! :grin:

It will be very hard to monitor what sells well like that. I would imagine experiments with small bags of pre-defined parts, like the xtras bags, would be a better experiment as they can easily track sales.

Gah, all the cool useful parts are everywhere else. My store in Glendale, CA doesn't have any :cry_sad:

So in hand pictures are coming out of the new Bat Knight in CMF series 19. I'm sold on several of these. The official rendering had a very red coloring to the accents but it looks like in actuality it's a dull brown or rust looking color. Some might not like it but to me it's MUCH more useful. And to top it off under the armor piece is very good looking chainmail printing front and back. 

Also in CMF Series 19, the Monkey King has an interesting fantasy armor! The recolored chicken and bag of the Fox Girl, and maybe the two dogs of the Dog Walker  would be nice additions to an historic village. I'm also eyeing Johnny Thunder's backpack, whose new colors (reddish brown and dark green) would look much better in a medieval setting than the previous colors of the piece.     

16 hours ago, Bardan_Jusik said:

So in hand pictures are coming out of the new Bat Knight in CMF series 19. I'm sold on several of these. The official rendering had a very red coloring to the accents but it looks like in actuality it's a dull brown or rust looking color. Some might not like it but to me it's MUCH more useful. And to top it off under the armor piece is very good looking chainmail printing front and back. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to try and get as many as I can.  I can't wait for Sunday they should finally be out here.

@Aine As I got my CMF19 minifigs this morning, I can now illustrate my words and add a few observations.
Here are the parts from this serie I expect to use for medieval/fantasy MOCs :

48659474852_4ff4b42c2b_b.jpg

1 - From the Fright Knight 
There are 2 swords and 2 plumes per minifig (I got two minifigs). The rust accents on the shield, armor and legs are copper. On the torso, the border of the chainmail is dark brown, the collar is dark tan and the buckles are copper. The head has no back print.

2 - From the Monkey King
For some reason, I forgot the staff, the shoulder armor (part #41637 in red) and the cape on the photo :wall:. There are 2 red plumes, 2 red bars and 3 pearl gold hilts per minifig. The torso and legs have gold and silver details.

3 - From the Fox Girl
Both parts are recolored : the chicken is tan and the sack is dark tan. 

4 - From Johnny Thunder the Adventurer
The backpack is recolored, which makes it much more usable for medieval-fantasy : reddish brown with dark green sleeping bag.

5 - Bonus : from the Shower Guy and the Flamingo Lady
Well...the duckie is not obviously medieval-fantasy, but it's so cute I'm sure it can be used in a funny way. And the plants will be useful for lanscaping (2 plants per Flamingo Lady minifig), but I have to admit it was mainly an excuse to get a flamingo. :innocent2:

4 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I love that chainmail torso because it looks great and is very easy to make factions with (or add to existing ones) by swapping the arms. Last time a torso with this level of versatility (imo) was inroduced was in 2010, with the Kingdoms line. I'm talking about this one: https://brickset.com/parts/4586498/mini-upper-part-no-1623 

I agree the versatility of this torso is great.  The whole fig is great.  The printing is wonderful and so useful.  The swords are nice.  I already switched out the helm for the great helm in dark grey looks much better in my opinion and now I'm experimenting with what head works best.  I got 3 today and one Monkey King.  the Monkey king also has great printing and is going to be very useful.

I agree on the versatility of the old torso, it's maybe the best what lego may offer. The new one... well, it's definitely versatile, as it isn't affiliated to any faction, my issue is that it's kinda unrealistic. I don't think there ever was a chainmail with a frontal fasting, at least I've never seen one.

8 hours ago, MAB said:

Flip the arms around and it fastens up the back.

Good idea! But I'm afraid that the torso might crack. What are the experiences with this? I want to use some generic chainmail torsos and switch the arms for a different color, but I'm really afraid that the torsos won't withstand the force.

I've replaced hundreds of arms and never had a torso crack. Angle it at a right angle to the torso and they pop off easy as anything without damage to either part.