Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

Looks like we're finally getting parts 19121 and 30613 in light bluish gray along with a bunch of new ghostly minifigure pieces in the new Hidden Side sets.

Yeah the new Hidden Side sets have a lot of interesting pieces and colors.  I like the dark red corner tower pieces on the school.  The new alligator is great, the new ghost hairpieces, heads, beards, etc are going to be very usefull.  The stickers in the cemetary set are very nice too. 

11 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Yeah the new Hidden Side sets have a lot of interesting pieces and colors.  I like the dark red corner tower pieces on the school.  The new alligator is great, the new ghost hairpieces, heads, beards, etc are going to be very usefull.  The stickers in the cemetary set are very nice too. 

Yeah, a rundown of some of the most distinctive parts that have shown up so far, with new molds bolded:

• Spring Yellowish Green minifig weapons/utensils: pirate cutlass; butcher's knife; key; pickaxe; lantern; revolver; teddy bear
  • Spring Yellowish Green minifig hair and neck accessories: Kai's hair from the LEGO Ninjago Movie; banshee hair; messy hair that sticks up and out to the sides; long messy hair that hangs down; messy ghost beard; Garmadon (2012) torso extension
  • Tr. Fluorescent Green minifig neck wear: ghostly tentacles with suckers; ghostly wings with claws
  • Other Spring Yellowish Green parts: 1x1 tile with ghost eye pattern; 8x10 bat/dragon wing; 2x7 Bionicle/Hero Factory talon
  • Medium Stone Grey parts: 1x4x2 ornamental Elves fence, 3x6x5 ornate Belville arch; 4x4x2 quarter circle spindled fence
  • Dark Red 3x3x6 corner wall panel
  • Brick Yellow (Tan) crocodile
  • Ghost Dog in a blend of Transparent and either White or White Glow (hard to tell in photos)

Overall, though, I think the theme's fairly muted color palette could mean that the most useful parts for historic MOCs may be less obvious parts like recolored basic building elements that will become most apparent once the sets are inventoried on BrickLink or Brickset.

As for other themes, at a glance Jurassic World has a recolor of the husky from LEGO City; in what I think is a blend of Dark Orange and Black. And, of course, several new dinosaur molds/prints/recolors. Queen Watevra's space palace from The LEGO Movie 2 has the 1x1 plate with triple leaves element in what I think is Dark Azur.

Edited by Aanchir

I'm not the first one to say this, but all those new ghost pieces go together well with the Ninjago Possession wave ghosts. I really, desperately want the wavy beard and messy long hair in brown or black, grey... 

I'm looking forward to the elves fences in grey!! 

10 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I'm looking forward to the elves fences in grey!! 

Same!  And new Jurassic World critters will be great!

I was really happy with those ghost tentacles - I really like the boat and parts in this set - but WHY did they make it transparent. Lime would work good enough for this set and for our own constructions - monsters, aliens etc. 

@Exetrius Hah, I wrote the same commentary about ghost-biker's beard at Alen Tran Flickr. You are right - those are hairs we need and deserve. :)

There are a few great creatures coming soon in the Harry Potter and Jurassic World themes.  Pictures have leaked of the following:

• There is a glitter trans light blue stag patronus.  It has the back cutout, which would allow minifigures to ride.  The head and neck do not move (likely due to the logistics of trans / trans plastic connections).
  • There is Buckbeak, a light grey hippogriff with some printing on the head depicting feathers, a darker beak, and yellow eyes.  No idea what the wings will look like yet.
  • There is also the white wolf with 2 tails and red printing on the face.  I believe this is from Ninjago.
  • There is a new Triceratops in green with brown stripe printing all over.  The set also comes with many small dinosaur eggs.
  • There is a new dilophosaurus in green and brown / orange.
  • There is a baryonyx in sand blue with blue pattern printing on its back and face.  This set comes with a dog that is a recolored husky.
  • There is a new tyrannosaurus rex in tan and grey with brown stripe printing on its back.  This set also has 4 baby raptors in varying colors.

It's hard to tell the exact colors, but this is a basic description.  All of these creatures could be great in fantasy Castle builds.

I'm most excited about the stag.  Even this version could be used well in fantasy builds.  I'll likely use it as a crystalline or ice stag.  What I really hope is that this mold will be used as a real stag in a future set.  It would be a perfect Forestmen mount.

Edited by x105Black

5 hours ago, x105Black said:

There are a few great creatures coming soon in the Harry Potter and Jurassic World themes.  Pictures have leaked of the following:

• There is a glitter trans light blue stag patronus.  It has the back cutout, which would allow minifigures to ride.  The head and neck do not move (likely due to the logistics of trans / trans plastic connections).
  • There is Buckbeak, a light grey hippogriff with some printing on the head depicting feathers, a darker beak, and yellow eyes.  No idea what the wings will look like yet.
  • There is also the white wolf with 2 tails and red printing on the face.  I believe this is from Ninjago.
  • There is a new Triceratops in green with brown stripe printing all over.  The set also comes with many small dinosaur eggs.
  • There is a new dilophosaurus in green and brown / orange.
  • There is a baryonyx in sand blue with blue pattern printing on its back and face.  This set comes with a dog that is a recolored husky.
  • There is a new tyrannosaurus rex in tan and grey with brown stripe printing on its back.  This set also has 4 baby raptors in varying colors.

It's hard to tell the exact colors, but this is a basic description.  All of these creatures could be great in fantasy Castle builds.

I'm most excited about the stag.  Even this version could be used well in fantasy builds.  I'll likely use it as a crystalline or ice stag.  What I really hope is that this mold will be used as a real stag in a future set.  It would be a perfect Forestmen mount.

I agree with you about the stag.  Great for an ice stag and they have to make a regular printed one that would be fantastic.  Buckbeak looks great, I missed out on the first one so definitely getting this one.  The Hungarian Horntail sounds interesting too, we will see how he looks brick built.  The wolf from Ninjago will be interesting to use up against the wargs from the LOTR line.  Of course all the new Dino's and new colors for dino's are always welcome.  Looks like WW is really helping us castle guys and gals out with the fantasy stuff and useful figs.  The new Ninjago sets sound promising to with a snake sorceress and a Ice Emporer, sounds like some good villains to use in my castle layout.  

Also the set includes Macnair, who is an excecutioner. He could have a new cowl and scyther

18 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Also the set includes Macnair, who is an excecutioner. He could have a new cowl and scyther

That would be pretty cool.  Definitely a welcome addition.  

The fire snake mummies from Ninjago look great, they will be a welcome addition to my mummy faction.  I can't wait to see the Ice emporer and Ice zombies.  Ninjago always seems to produce some great new moulds for weapons, figs, and general pieces.  They just have some great ideas with that theme.  Hopefully they can come up with something good for the next castle theme they come out with.  

That Ice samurai armor and helmet from ninjago is going to be pretty useful.  Plus all those ice samurai torso's and legs.  

The Disney CMF series 2 is bringing a bunch of useful things. Hercules entire fig, new printed skirt pieces. Also the HP leaks are starting to pick up and looks like we're getting TLJ Luke Skywalker's hair in a dark brown and a sweet new Executioner minifig.

The Molten Man Battle set has a couple of good minifigures I plan to use.  The Hydro Man set has a nice water elemental...

Since nobody else seems to have brought it up, https://brickset.com/sets/76138-1/Batman-and-The-Joker-Escape (announced just today) has some delectable Sand Green and Earth Green recolors!!! I'm especially excited for the 1x4x5 castle wall panel and 2x4x2 half-cylinder panel recolors, as they both seem like they'll pair beautifully with the 2x2x5 quarter cylinder panels from Ninjago City! Also for the unprinted BB-8/BB-9E torsos used as cartoon bombs… so glad that piece isn't IP-locked!

Also, the new Mr. Freeze figure in https://brickset.com/sets/76118-1/Mr-Freeze-Batcycle-Battle uses the same headgear as Mysterio, confirming that it is a headgear piece (rather than a specialized head piece) and is not IP-locked. I'm especially grateful for this part's existence after realizing that the old crystal ball element from Fright Knights has apparently been retired since 2016… so this will be the next best thing for wizards and fortune tellers and the like! Robin also has a new cape with a more zigzag shaped scalloped edge rather than the curvy type used for Batman.

But on a less specifically historic note, https://brickset.com/sets/76122-1/Batcave-Clayface-Invasion has some craaaaazy new connectors in Silver Metallic, used as pipes and so forth. Two of them sort of resemble https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32828, but one has two bar connections at a 90-degree angle from each other, another has three at 120-degree angles from each other. Another used higher up is too funky for me to even begin to describe. Because they and a bunch of the other accessories in the set are the same color (and some are sitting unused) I bet they'll come as a pre-packed assortment that is counted as a single new element. Again, hope it shows up more widely in the future! A lot of these parts will be great for either custom minifigure accessories or as a structural element!

Finally, https://brickset.com/sets/76119-1/Batmobile-Pursuit-of-The-Joker has the bat/dragon wing piece from the Thestrals but without the transparent trailing edge, which might be of interest to some folks.

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Also, the new Mr. Freeze figure in https://brickset.com/sets/76118-1/Mr-Freeze-Batcycle-Battle uses the same headgear as Mysterio, confirming that it is a headgear piece (rather than a specialized head piece) and is not IP-locked. I'm especially grateful for this part's existence after realizing that the old crystal ball element from Fright Knights has apparently been retired since 2016… so this will be the next best thing for wizards and fortune tellers and the like!

On a less historical note, I could see some fans who may take an interest in Lego's old Alpha Team theme wanting to use the new "fishbowl" for Ogel's Mission Deep Freeze Minions to give them a cleaner look. After all, the Insectoid helmet they used was recolored for Lego's first Mr. Freeze figure. :shrug_oh_well:

5 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Since nobody else seems to have brought it up, https://brickset.com/sets/76138-1/Batman-and-The-Joker-Escape (announced just today) has some delectable Sand Green and Earth Green recolors!!! I'm especially excited for the 1x4x5 castle wall panel and 2x4x2 half-cylinder panel recolors, as they both seem like they'll pair beautifully with the 2x2x5 quarter cylinder panels from Ninjago City!

Those Earth Green roof part recolors in particular are quite lovely. :thumbup: :blush:

76138-1.jpg?201903290411

P.S. I totally overlooked that Dark Purple recolor of TLBM Penguin's tophat! *huh*

On 3/29/2019 at 10:17 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

On a less historical note, I could see some fans who may take an interest in Lego's old Alpha Team theme wanting to use the new "fishbowl" for Ogel's Mission Deep Freeze Minions to give them a cleaner look. After all, the Insectoid helmet they used was recolored for Lego's first Mr. Freeze figure. :shrug_oh_well:

Those Earth Green roof part recolors in particular are quite lovely. :thumbup: :blush:

P.S. I totally overlooked that Dark Purple recolor of TLBM Penguin's tophat! *huh*

Yeah lots of great parts there in that set.  All the sand green and earth green pieces are going to be very useful.  That purple tophat is nice too.  On another note that ice dragon in the Ninjago line looks good probably will mod it to my liking.  The Ice castle looks good too, lots of useful parts and pieces.  

On 3/29/2019 at 9:00 PM, Aanchir said:

Robin also has a new cape with a more zigzag shaped scalloped edge rather than the curvy type used for Batman.

I don't think that is new ...

sh289.png

This one is in the 2016 Rescue from Ra's al Ghul.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:13 PM, Exetrius said:

So, do you guys think LEGO has introduced enough new parts in recent years for Fantasy Era II ? 

-snipped images-

:purrr:

Let's see: we've got stuff for building actual castles and towers, a few items to add interior and exterior detail, some fantasy creatures stuff, gear and hair to make goblins, elves and forestmen, and some stuff to make wizards. How about the 2x2 crate in brown, or the 3x3 dome in pearl gold or tan, for a more Arabic theme? And reddish brown elfish hairpieces with yellow ears, or a red dragon! Wishlisting in it's purest form, but it's food for the thought. 

While not it gold or tan, the 3x3 dome appears in DBG in https://brickset.com/sets/21045-1/Trafalgar-Square:classic:

Also, unprinted versions of both the dome and the inverted cone appear in https://brickset.com/sets/10770-1/Buzz-Woody-s-Carnival-Mania!

Lots of great new parts in the recently-revealed Ninjago summer sets:

• Akita, a new multi-tailed wolf/fox mold resembling Japanese "kitsune" and similar fox spirits from Chinese, and Korean folklore

• A human version of Akita who wears miko (Japanese shaman/nun/shrine attendant) garb, plus a cape resembling kitsune tails and a mask/headdress resembling a kitsune face.

• A new style of spinner — this one lacks the clips on the sides which means it is a little less versatile in terms of connection points, but that also means that cosmetically it might function better as a general whirlpool or whirlwind shape. Appears in 9 different color combinations.

• New ninja hoods with a transparent aura around the head. Maybe a little Ninjago-specific, but also possibly useful for other Japanese-inspired fantasy characters.

• New Black, Reddish Brown, and Warm Gold (Pearl Gold) snake heads with Transparent Bright Orange fire motifs. In historic MOCs, I could see these working great as statues with a decorative glass or crystal inlay. Fire motifs are a common way of framing figures of spiritual power or significance in Middle Eastern and Asian art (comparable to halos and aureoles in European Christian art or the solar discs in Ancient Egyptian art).

• New snake-patterned shoulder armor in Warm Gold and Copper Metallic (Copper).

• A new polearm mold resembling a guandao/bisento/glaive in two different color combinations: Warm Gold/Transparent Bright Orange (Trans-Orange) and Titanium Metallic (Pearl Dark Gray)/Transparent Light Blue.

• Ice-encrusted samurai armor and helmets on zombie-like samurai minifigures. Other than the heads, these may be hard to use outside of Ninjago unless you have a really particular fantasy-heavy build in mind.

• A new fiery cobra hood and ice dragon wings, both punched from plastic sheets. These appear on a giant fire snake and ice dragon that would both be easy to adapt to a historical fantasy setting.

• Three different scrolls with Ninjago writing on them, punched from a single plastic sheet. Obviously meant to be Ninjago-specific, but I know many people have no trouble using parts with Asian or pseudo-Asian languages in historic settings regardless of their origins or meaning.

• A new giant shuriken/saw blade element in Transparent Light Blue and Warm Gold, potentially useful for traps in castles or ruins.

• Some very cool new sail shapes/patterns on the Landbounty. Like those from the movie version of Destiny's Bounty, they feel very historic in style, as opposed to the more sci-fi looking sails from Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty or Destiny's Shadow.

As for recolors, which may be more enticing to people here:

• Lloyd's piandao-style sword from the movie recolored in Warm Gold.

• The khopesh, circular shield with center stud, and LOTR Elven polearm recolored in Copper Metallic (Copper)

• Wu's conical hat recolored in Sand Yellow (Dark Tan), plus a Sand Yellow cape of some kind on the same minifigure.

• A Transparent Light Blue recolor of the spiked shoulder armor previously seen on Maddox from The LEGO Movie 2 sets.

All in all, not a whole lot of sets that will likely be especially desirable to historic builders who don't already enjoy Ninjago sets on the side, but certainly a lot of parts that might be worth taking a look at on Bricks & Pieces or BrickLink once the sets are out. There may even be more cool stuff that's harder to see in pics of the assembled sets.

Edited by Aanchir

Yeah the Ninjago stuff is going to be very useful.  The wolf/fox is going to be a nice addition to the many lego animals.  I can't wait to get the sets and start customizing minifigs and MOCing with the new pieces.  I'm planning  on getting all the sets.  Also the upcoming Harry Potter sets sound like they will have a lot of great parts to like the Horntail, Patronus, and other new pieces coming.  I'm planning on getting several of those too and probably multiples.  It's going to be an expensive year for me with all the sets I want to get but should produce some great building and minifigs.  

Shame the two tails. I get that it's a folklore thing, but yeah, I'm more into real-life animals... :-)

Yesterday a lot of summer sets got revealed! The Heartlake Italian Restaurant, has some WONDERFULLY useful new parts for historic builders:

• the 1x2 double half arches from the Harry Potter sets appearing for the first time in White
  • 1x1 curved top pieces in three new colors (Bright Red, Bright Orange, and Bright Reddish Violet), used here as clay roof tiles
  • a recolor of the ice cream piece in Medium Lilac as a new food item: grapes!

Just looking at this set it's easy to see the potential to reuse some of these parts and/or techniques in Mediterranean-inspired MOCs ancient and modern alike!

Also, the Creator UFO ride has 5x5x1 curved quarter circle pieces in what looks to be Medium Stone Grey, which could be a great new option for larger stone arches like those over a town or castle gate.