Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

A bat-faction?

I gotta be honest, I'd love to see Neo-Fright Knights soldiers outfitted with those shields!

I find those bat-figs to be a slap in the face. We could have legit variants on a wizard and roman soldier and instead they're ruined by Batman logos. *sigh* Maybe TLG will come back to us eventually.

4 hours ago, SirBlake said:

I find those bat-figs to be a slap in the face. We could have legit variants on a wizard and roman soldier and instead they're ruined by Batman logos. *sigh* Maybe TLG will come back to us eventually.

Um... this assortment was going to be Batman figs one way or the other, given the emphasis on current themes. Would you have preferred this assortment to contain nothing even vaguely historic?

If anything, if I were primarily a historic fan I'd be more upset that the "Minifigures" themed pack only contained recolors/redecos of modern-day figs, instead of potentially offering variants of any of the more historic CMFs. At least with that there could have been the hope of something more suited to your interests...

14 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

If anything, if I were primarily a historic fan I'd be more upset that the "Minifigures" themed pack only contained recolors/redecos of modern-day figs, instead of potentially offering variants of any of the more historic CMFs. At least with that there could have been the hope of something more suited to your interests...

I've already ranted about that :tongue:, (though in the ninjago topic :sceptic:)

Has anyone thought of using the new "Nightwing" armor part from the upcoming D2C Joker Manor set for an armored version of Basil the Bat Lord?

37335250381_c1a3edb699.jpg

5 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Has anyone thought of using the new "Nightwing" armor part from the upcoming D2C Joker Manor set for an armored version of Basil the Bat Lord?

Fun idea! Though the armor does have a sort of "collar" that extends up in the back, so until someone has it in hand and can test it, it won't be certain whether the Bat Lord helmet will fit...

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I have indeed thought about using that for Bat faction armor!  I think it would work very nicely.

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Good idea. It doesn't look like Basil's helmet will fit, but it would probably look nice on another Fright Knight.

Lego should reboot FK for their next Castle theme. The idea behind it was fantastic, but the execution could have been better. If they were to redesign them with more black added to their color scheme and possibly some Transylvania-esque elements such as werewolves and vampires, I would be over the moon.

7 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Good idea. It doesn't look like Basil's helmet will fit, but it would probably look nice on another Fright Knight.

Well if not, perhaps the armor piece could be adopted for a "Bat Lord" CMF, maybe with a new helmet with swept back bat wings similar in design to Thor's helmet in the MCU. :shrug_oh_well:

th?id=OIP.kGMUk2hEfobjlOYvkj0fPgEsEs&pid

7 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Lego should reboot FK for their next Castle theme. The idea behind it was fantastic, but the execution could have been better. If they were to redesign them with more black added to their color scheme and possibly some Transylvania-esque elements such as werewolves and vampires, I would be over the moon.

In a way, 2012's Monster Fighters somewhat did fit that bill, even though it wasn't a medieval theme at all.

I just realized that I don't know if anybody's brought up the Battle of Atlantis has some great sand green parts that could be good for castle building, as well as the first appearance of the LEGO Atlantis trident piece in Titanium Metallic (pearl dark gray/gunmetal)! The helmets on the Atlantean guards could also be great for fantasy builders, though their angular torso prints might look too sci-fi for people's tastes.

Also, looking at other recently released sets, the Christmas Town Square could be a good source for those ornate fence pieces that are used so often in the Elves theme! Their art nouveau styling might be a bit modern for realistic medieval stuff, but for fantasy builds they can make some good ornamentation. It also has some other nice parts like Dark Orange palisade bricks and Sand Yellow (Dark Tan) masonry bricks. So, a decent parts pack on its own, possibly even a better one if it gets marked down after the Christmas season has passed.

Not a ton of great historic parts or figs in the latest batch of City, Creator, and Technic pics for next year, but one of the City sets does use Reddish Brown skeleton legs for a railing. I could see that being used for similar railings or banisters in historic MOCs, or possibly even for wooden claw-foot furniture.

2 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Not a ton of great historic parts or figs in the latest batch of City, Creator, and Technic pics for next year, but one of the City sets does use Reddish Brown skeleton legs for a railing. I could see that being used for similar railings or banisters in historic MOCs, or possibly even for wooden claw-foot furniture.

Or combine it with a fantasy era black (charred?) evil skeleton and the city tree disguise for a dryad sort of monster, the beehive and bear could also have some more direct appeal.

The new animals from the City line are always useful.  This time, there will be black bears and mountain lions.

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

The new animals from the City line are always useful.  This time, there will be black bears and mountain lions.

Agreed. Since I only got 4 brown bears, I'll hoard the black ones. This year seem not such promising as sets or pieces, so I'd rather have more of those.

4 hours ago, x105Black said:

Yes they are ! I just got the city set with the black panther and it is great for castle and jungle MOCs 

1 hour ago, 1Panda said:

Yes they are ! I just got the city set with the black panther and it is great for castle and jungle MOCs 

Speaking of black panther, the sets that go with the Black Panther movie might be something to watch out for... hard to say what it'll bring set-wise (and where they'll fall on the fantasy/sci-fi scale), but based on what we've seen I imagine there it at least has the potential to offer some very interesting parts and figs for historic builders.

I thought the Thor: Ragnarok set with the giant wolf in it had a fair amount of useful parts in it. Those dark green minions have some potential for evil looking monsters and the Wolf itself looks really cool surrounded by knights trying to bring it down.

The second CMF series of TLBM leaked, and it includes a few interesting parts. Excuse my ignorance of the names, I haven't seen the movie nor have I ever read any comics. In order of their number on the sheet:

5. Merman Batman. Usefulness of fantasy Batman variants has been matter for debate here earlier, but some may find a good new use for the torso and black tail piece

13. (and 14) Don't know what these lavender guys Wonder Twins are called, but anyway: Elf hair in black with flesh ears, as well as a purple collar cape.

15. Some kind of Apache? Nougat skin tone.

16. Sage Superman? Jor-El. He has white Superman hair and is dressed in white, priest-like robes from what I can tell.

18. Dr. Phosphorus. Spring yellowish green skeleton man with classic flame pieces in trans fluorescent green. Great for magic.

20. Reverse Flash Black Vulcan. Another one for magic: newer style lightning pieces in trans yellow! Also, dual moulded legs: brown on top, yellow below. Should be useful for non-fleshie characters.

Edited by Exetrius
Proper names

I like the new apache chief minifig for wild west.  With newer cavalry soldiers from the lone ranger sets there is a big upgrade and very realistic options for this theme

I really hope that Dr. Phosphorus will be glow in the dark, but I doubt he will be that cool.

Also, the lavender pair are the Wonder Twins.  And that's Black Vulcan, not Reverse Flash.

Yeah, really interested to see what Jor-El looks like without the armor on. Also looking forward to doing like a Monk/Friar with the hairpiece that Alfred has.

On 27/10/2017 at 4:19 PM, Aanchir said:

I just realized that I don't know if anybody's brought up the Battle of Atlantis has some great sand green parts that could be good for castle building...

I was thinking the reverse: creating a more impressive Atlantis by modding structures from the Lonely Mountain. I posted about it in July in the comments under BrickSet's review of the Battle of Atlantis:

...the Atlantean scenery {from Battle of Atlantis} is a bit underwhelming. I plan on supplementing it with a modded throne archway from 79018 Lonely Mountain. Remove/replace the pearl gold parts and substitute kelp pieces for the flames in the sconces and you're most of the way to turning Erebor into a substantial neptunian structure.

There are two new large castle elements in Disney Princess sets: a conical tower roof and a 'wall with arch' segment (any architectural term for this?):

41154-1.jpg?201711210852

There will also be new plant-like elements! 1x1 studs with three leaves, 1x1 studs where the regular ring has dents, and flowers with a bar end. 

The mining subtheme from City will introduce the 2017 spider mould in white, as well as and golden nuggets, which I'd love to see in the form of crystals!

5 hours ago, Exetrius said:

There are two new large castle elements in Disney Princess sets: a conical tower roof and a 'wall with arch' segment (any architectural term for this?):

There will also be new plant-like elements! 1x1 studs with three leaves, 1x1 studs where the regular ring has dents, and flowers with a bar end. 

The mining subtheme from City will introduce the 2017 spider mould in white, as well as and golden nuggets, which I'd love to see in the form of crystals!

I think the spider in the mine sets is not just White, but White Glow! The roller coaster track in grey and cars in black might be useful for fans of dwarves, as well.

The non-movie Ninjago sets have a heavy focus on bikes and other vehicles (less useful for Castle fans), but the "Spinjitzu Master" spinners each feature shurikens in silver, which could be useful either for fans of traditional ninja or integrated into other weapons like maces or flails. The "Temple of Resurrection" set also features the new fence piece from the Ninjago Movie sets in Warm Gold, and is a nice-looking temple even as-is.

EDIT: Also maybe worth mentioning: One of the Ninjago baddies has the "Mr. T" hairpiece in red, which might be useful if anyone wants to add some variety to an army of CMF battle dwarves.

Edited by Lyichir