Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

On 8/14/2017 at 10:02 PM, Artanis I said:

Looks like it's supposed to be 6080 from 1984 (minus the 12 minifigs & 4 horses!) but with the 1992 dragon, haha.:dwacko:

She's a modern enough girl that she probably got them in a yard sale/job lot or as hand-me-downs. I definitely burst out grinning and had to pause the video when I saw this scene!

The new Kylo Ren torso and legs have kind of a cool chainmail look to them. Also the Roman Batman from the upcoming ToysRus brictober pack looks really cool.

Further to my posts on page 3 of this thread, here is my de-mechanised Ninjago Movie green dragon.

As I said I would, I have made a number of mostly cosmetic changes. The only functional changes were to use LEGO rubber bands to make the tail poseable and to get rid of the knob that controls the tail's whipping action. 

I am using it as a giant riding lizard for my lizardman raiding party, hence the minifigures and other riding lizard in the picture.

highres_464495400.jpeg  

On 9/4/2017 at 11:52 AM, Bardan_Jusik said:

The new Kylo Ren torso and legs have kind of a cool chainmail look to them. Also the Roman Batman from the upcoming ToysRus brictober pack looks really cool.

In case people haven't seen this:

37018773261_c752e8488c_c.jpgBricktober 1 by Candidbricks C, on Flickr

I'd really like to get a few for the helmet and shield (printing will have to be removed), and sword/cape are always good. Maybe the legs could be reused. But its a pain to drop say $60 just to get 4 packs and have to sell all the rest of the figures. I wonder how much these will go for individually and if there will be a decent availability that way. 

I imagine you could sell off the other three to recoup a lot of that $60.

The good news is that they still have the mold for the Roman shield, and will hopefully use it again in a normal retail set.

So judging from this discussion, no interest among historic builders in the Wizbat figure? To me it seems like that one's torso and skirt would be great for generic wizards in historic builds, since bats already have sort of spooky/occult connotations and the bat patterns on the robe and necklace aren't obvious Batman logos or anything like that. Granted, I realize that wizards aren't typically something you army-build the way centurions are, but even so it strikes me as odd that the centurion is the only figure here being considered for historic applications.

Incidentally, the Ninjago Bricktober figs also have some parts that could possibly be useful in historic contexts, even if nothing quite as specific or sought after as classical Greek and Roman stuff. I'm looking especially at Neuro and Flashback Krux (the two in the middle). I seem to remember that a number of historic builders were interested in the previous Krux and Acronix figures in 70626 who reused the headgear of the CMF Rogue, but put off by Acronix's MP3 player and ear buds. This figure lacks those features.

I like the three guys on the right in this picture.  All 3 could serve some purpose in my builds.

37173540865_8aec679dea_z.jpg

As for Wizbat, I'd like one of them, at least.  It's a decent wizard.  And the Centurion is really nice.  The bat logos do throw me off, but they could help fill out a Bat faction:

$_35.JPG

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

So judging from this discussion, no interest among historic builders in the Wizbat figure? To me it seems like that one's torso and skirt would be great for generic wizards in historic builds, since bats already have sort of spooky/occult connotations and the bat patterns on the robe and necklace aren't obvious Batman logos or anything like that. Granted, I realize that wizards aren't typically something you army-build the way centurions are, but even so it strikes me as odd that the centurion is the only figure here being considered for historic applications.

Incidentally, the Ninjago Bricktober figs also have some parts that could possibly be useful in historic contexts, even if nothing quite as specific or sought after as classical Greek and Roman stuff. I'm looking especially at Neuro and Flashback Krux (the two in the middle). I seem to remember that a number of historic builders were interested in the previous Krux and Acronix figures in 70626 who reused the headgear of the CMF Rogue, but put off by Acronix's MP3 player and ear buds. This figure lacks those features.

I'm a huge fan of wizards, mages, warlocks, etc. so anything remotely useful for such purpose is welcome! Needless to say: I really like that wizard bat. The gladiator bat is imo one of the greatest variants of TLBM. I'm neither a Batman nor a fleshie-guy, so the parts I'm interested in are the shield and helmet, both fantastic! 

If anyone could post a pic of the 1x1 circular tile with Goblin King insignia (Elves) on that shield, that's be awesome I bet! :classic:

I AM a Ninjago fan, though! White Cryptor will not be of any use in historic context, but the others... Definitely! And yes, I think I was the person to complain about the MP3. :grin: Glad they removed them.

On a side note, I tend to get lazy when it concerns typist out my thoughts on things, but that doesn't mean these figs don't excite me! :tongue:

On 9/15/2017 at 9:08 PM, Vorkosigan said:

The wizard printing is nice in general but personally I find the batman logo to be too iconic to treat as a generic bat symbol.

Pretty much how I view it.  Every time I would look at it, I would think of Batman...which would break my sense of immersion when dealing with a medieval/fantasy setting.

1 hour ago, thetang22 said:

Pretty much how I view it.  Every time I would look at it, I would think of Batman...which would break my sense of immersion when dealing with a medieval/fantasy setting.

Fair enough. For me the most iconic Batman logo is the more oval-shaped 80s/90s version that appears on Easter Batman — the newer-style bat icons on Wizbat are different enough from what I'm used to that I have no trouble seeing them as just plain bats.

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Fair enough. For me the most iconic Batman logo is the more oval-shaped 80s/90s version that appears on Easter Batman — the newer-style bat icons on Wizbat are different enough from what I'm used to that I have no trouble seeing them as just plain bats.

I agree that certain ones are the most iconic...but for me - they are ALL iconic enough that if it even looks remotely like a Batman emblem, it may as well be one...because that's what I'm going to associate it with.

6 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I'm the same way.  Close enough for me.  I might even use a traditional Batman logo minifigure in my Bat Faction.  I will be using the armored Batman from Clash of the Heroes (76064).  It's just really nice armor, and the Bat logo is only a little bit recognizable as Batman:

24087931581_6dca80fb14.jpg

On 15/09/2017 at 4:27 PM, Exetrius said:

I really like that wizard bat. The gladiator bat is imo one of the greatest variants of TLBM. I'm neither a Batman nor a fleshie-guy, so the parts I'm interested in are the shield and helmet, both fantastic! 

The torso would probably work on a yellow fellow just swap out the arms.

Let me take a look and see if anything else has been revealed recently might be worth mentioning here...

Historic MOCists may be interested in the large carriage wheels appearing in Medium Nougat in the upcoming Ninjago Movie set 70629 Piranha Chase. Granted, the part has already appeared in Sand Yellow and Reddish Brown, but one more good wooden color certainly doesn't hurt. For that matter, Misako in both that set and the Quake Mech has a neat historic-looking armor design, featuring a new shoulder pad/quiver neck accessory.

Pretty much useless for MOCs, but historic MOCists who like costuming, role play, or just goofing off at conventions might appreciate the new foam play weapons from the Ninjago Movie! Unlike past foam weapons sold at Lego stores, these are very authentic to the actual weapon pieces from the sets and movies, and while they're sized for kids (making them a little underscaled for adults), they're still pretty neat. Links: Sword, Katana, Nunchucks, Spear, Hammer, Bow & Arrow

I wish the spear didn't have that dangling thing, and that the bow and arrow was brown. Still I am tempted to buy some of those toy weapons, I was impressed with the ones I saw at Target.

I wish LEGO would name their weapons correctly. The one they're calling a 'sword' in Ninjago should be a 'dao'. Sure, that's the Mandarin word for 'sword', but then 'katana' is the Japanese word for 'sword'. So if you're going to be accurate about Japanese swords, why not Chinese ones, too? And speaking of Japanese weapons, the one they call 'nunchucks' (which isn't even a Japanese word, 'nunchaku' is) should be called a 'kusarigama'. :sceptic:

11 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I wish LEGO would name their weapons correctly. The one they're calling a 'sword' in Ninjago should be a 'dao'. Sure, that's the Mandarin word for 'sword', but then 'katana' is the Japanese word for 'sword'. So if you're going to be accurate about Japanese swords, why not Chinese ones, too? And speaking of Japanese weapons, the one they call 'nunchucks' (which isn't even a Japanese word, 'nunchaku' is) should be called a 'kusarigama'. :sceptic:

In some cases I'd agree with you that more accurate terminology can be a great thing, but for the names of play weapons like these I think they're trying to stick with terms kids and parents will easily be able to understand and remember. Katana is a pretty commonly known term even in English compared to "Dao" or "Kusarigama".

50 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

In some cases I'd agree with you that more accurate terminology can be a great thing, but for the names of play weapons like these I think they're trying to stick with terms kids and parents will easily be able to understand and remember. Katana is a pretty commonly known term even in English compared to "Dao" or "Kusarigama".

I do think "Flail" might have been a better generic descriptor for Jay's movie weapon than "Nunchucks", though.

FYI the Batman Bricktober set is available at TRU starting today (Ninjago was last week). I was not successful in trying to army build the Roman / Spartan Batman because at my store at least they were strict about only giving out the set as a gift with purchase. I did pick up one set though after much deliberation on how to spend $50+ with TRUs pricing... Also interesting to note the value was $20 not the $15 previously speculated. Some people on ebay have piles of them so probably some places are selling them. 

Here are "historicalized" versions of the Batman figs. I wish I had a better torso with black armor for the "Spartan" and I'd need to cover or remove the bat printing. The wizard design is growing on me. The connection from the torso to leg slope seems a bit looser than usual though.

zNx3Ushl.jpg?1

@Vorkosigan Both look good, I think the wizard had the most potential. Thanks for sharing!

Btw, I already used a head and legs from the Ninjago pack: 

37412924936_e84a92a841.jpg

I have been hoping for another version of the tower shield for a while. Yes, it has the bat logo, but it might just Look like a random pattern if the rest of the fig has no more bats. Especially since the pattern is mirrored at the bottom. With a tiny sprinkle of gold or black a customizer may get rid any bat associations. 

A bat-faction?

The Ninjago Sog Kabuki mask could probably be used in historic as could the new shoulder armour.