Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

What about the goblin king's crown/hair/ears piece that would cool fantasy elven warlock or something.

On 4.1.2017 at 11:07 PM, Aanchir said:

While we're on the subject of Elves, the new teaser video on the homepage shows sneak peeks at what are probably some of the summer set contents: the Goblin King's castle and another new dragon (which appears to be Earth Blue in color). The castle seems to use a neat technique for its parapets.

Thanks for pointing that out. Dark blue will be a very welcome color for a dragon.

Thanks to New York Toy Fair we have better pics of various summer sets. The sets that are most historic-looking overall are probably still 41188 and 41187 from the Elves theme.

The title vehicle of 70355 doesn't have any really historic-looking bits, but the enemy character Lord Krakenskull has an epic new helmet and a pretty cool gargoyle steed! You can see a more detailed pic here. That set, Macy's Bot Drop Dragon, and Axl's Rumble Maker also have some nifty recolors of various knight helmets on their respective bots, though I know bright colors like that aren't to everyone's taste.

Other cool new Nexo Knights minifigures with possible historic or fantasy applications include the Harpy from 70353, General Garg from 70356, and King Halbert and Stone Queen Halbert from 70357.

We haven't gotten pics or names for them yet, but two Thor: Ragnarok sets were confirmed in the press guide. If it's anything like the first couple Thor movies, then those sets could have some good fantasy sorts of parts in them.

7 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

The title vehicle of 70355 doesn't have any really historic-looking bits, but the enemy character Lord Krakenskull has an epic new helmet and a pretty cool gargoyle steed! You can see a more detailed pic here.

ABOUT TIME LEGO!!! Way to go with possibly the most awesome looking headpiece in... well ever?

Nexo Knights FTW! (who'da thunk it?!)

On 2/27/2017 at 1:57 PM, nine09nueve said:

ABOUT TIME LEGO!!! Way to go with possibly the most awesome looking headpiece in... well ever?

Nexo Knights FTW! (who'da thunk it?!)

That helmet does look amazing. One thing about nexo knights. The enemies have been a welcome addition for those of us that incorporate a fantasy element 

On 2/27/2017 at 4:48 PM, Aanchir said:

Thanks to New York Toy Fair we have better pics of various summer sets. The sets that are most historic-looking overall are probably still 41188 and 41187 from the Elves theme.

The title vehicle of 70355 doesn't have any really historic-looking bits, but the enemy character Lord Krakenskull has an epic new helmet and a pretty cool gargoyle steed! You can see a more detailed pic here. That set, Macy's Bot Drop Dragon, and Axl's Rumble Maker also have some nifty recolors of various knight helmets on their respective bots, though I know bright colors like that aren't to everyone's taste.

Other cool new Nexo Knights minifigures with possible historic or fantasy applications include the Harpy from 70353, General Garg from 70356, and King Halbert and Stone Queen Halbert from 70357.

We haven't gotten pics or names for them yet, but two Thor: Ragnarok sets were confirmed in the press guide. If it's anything like the first couple Thor movies, then those sets could have some good fantasy sorts of parts in them.

Breakout from the Goblin King's Fortress is nice, despite it being minty fresh.  I'm also happy to see the use of dark blues.  As for the helmet, I'd love to see that without prints.  It's a fantastic helmet.  Maybe when the new Castle theme comes out (if ever), they will reuse that helmet.  The new style wings are pretty interesting, too.  I actually kind of like General Garg, though I'd prefer a color other than light blue with his black aesthetic.  I get why it's used, though, and it fits with the theme.  The King and Queen are not bad.  I like the Queen quite a bit, actually.  And I've got high hopes for the Thor sets.

My issue with the villains from this year's Nexo Knights sets is that the purple parts are very plain and flat, especially when contrasted against the detailed prints of the minifigure parts.  I do like the use of purple and sand blue in general, though.  I just wish I liked how they were using them.

Edited by x105Black

Heads up! I remember some people here being disappointed by the stickered shields in last year's Elves sets, so I figured you'd be happy to know that the new shields with the Goblin King's sigil in the Elves theme are PRINTED!

Other potentially interesting parts for historic builders: thanks to Elves, the latticed window panes for 1x4x3 windows now come in black. Even builders who prefer figs to dolls might find use in the new pendant piece, which does not fit that well around a minifig's neck that well but could possibly be used ornamentally (it will also come in gold and green in the summer sets). The firing crossbow now comes in Brick Yellow/Tan.  And the medium-sized dragon wings introduced in last year's Elves sets now come in a pure white color (despite still being listed as Multicombination due to having two separate injection points). Apart from these more fantasy-specific parts, there's a lot of great basic parts in earth tones, as well.

23 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Heads up! I remember some people here being disappointed by the stickered shields in last year's Elves sets, so I figured you'd be happy to know that the new shields with the Goblin King's sigil in the Elves theme are PRINTED!

On another note, if people want to use this emblem for a castle army, it's also available as a printed 1x1 tile that you could probably make use of on studded armor (like Magpie's black feathered armor, a recolor of a Chima armor piece). The goblin king's crown is molded with the same emblem.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, Lyichir said:

Other potentially interesting parts for historic builders: thanks to Elves, the latticed window panes for 1x4x3 windows now come in black. Even builders who prefer figs to dolls might find use in the new pendant piece, which does not fit that well around a minifig's neck that well but could possibly be used ornamentally (it will also come in gold and green in the summer sets). The firing crossbow now comes in Brick Yellow/Tan.  And the medium-sized dragon wings introduced in last year's Elves sets now come in a pure white color (despite still being listed as Multicombination due to having two separate injection points). Apart from these more fantasy-specific parts, there's a lot of great basic parts in earth tones, as well.

That's actually all very good news.  That shield especially is an excellent design, I'm so glad it's not a sticker this time.

I hope its possible to get multiples of Lord Krakenskull's helmet and the black shield from Elves at a reasonable price. They could work together well to form the basis of an awesome dark knight army. It'll be easy enough to remove the light blue printing from the helmets. 

43 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

I hope its possible to get multiples of Lord Krakenskull's helmet and the black shield from Elves at a reasonable price. They could work together well to form the basis of an awesome dark knight army.

Erm - not now you've proudly announced to the aftermarket that you're collecting an army of them... no! :)

On 3/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, Lyichir said:

The first thing that comes to mind when I see that is the Eye of Sauron.

Edited by Lord Duvors

22 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

The first thing that comes to mind when I see that is the Eye of Sauron.

To me it closer resembles the Sheikah eye symbol used in the Legend of Zelda franchise because of the triangular "eyelashes" (though it lacks the typical teardrop motif). I know Lego Elves designer Wes Talbott is a Zelda fan, since he designed a Legend of Zelda project on Lego Ideas before becoming a designer.

For MOCists, though, it can be whatever they want it to be. The simple color scheme and design (combined with the variety of printed and stickered parts sharing the same motif) should make it very versatile.

7 hours ago, Bardan_Jusik said:

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Accessory-Set-NINJAGO-2017-853687 The new Ninjago Accessory Set has some REALLY cool looking armor as well as some Black/Gray dual molded legs. Can't wait to use the torso off of the Ash minifigure.

like it.  I just don't like that bright yellow character.  Well, 2 out of 3 is still a bargain.

Boy is that Dwarf slayer confused though... dragon tattoo on the chest - rhino on the hammer and a boar as a belt buckle! :)

50 minutes ago, nine09nueve said:

Boy is that Dwarf slayer confused though... dragon tattoo on the chest - rhino on the hammer and a boar as a belt buckle! :)

Pretty sure the rhino is actually a boar (with mohawk!) too. Maybe he's the Boar Clan's dragon slayer? :wink:

Now that we're talking animals, I really appreciate this detail:

33828207615_450cc382ce.jpg

The new Minecraft set 21137 The Mountain Cave has a golden apple, which could be of great interest to builders who want to make scenes from Greek mythology. Also it's got a slime which could serve as a gelatinous cube for D&D fans! Otherwise, like other Minecraft sets, its main interest to historic builders would probably just be as a parts pack for earth-tone bricks.

Those golden apples are sure to become useful, especially as decoration.

The Ninjago Movie sets will bring about a small revolution in the medieval Asia genre, with the introduction of:

• a dao (sword), 
  • new samurai helmet,
  • new 'curved' rice hat, in three(!) different colours: brown, tan and medium nougat,
  • new uppor torso armour piece,
  • tassel piece recoloured in gold,
  • new ninja robes, 
  • new black hairstyle with bandana and man-bun,  

and last, but certainly not least: civilians in traditional clothing! Aww yeah! :excited:

Off topic: I recently realized how incredible versatile the Vladek helmet is. It's like the Jedi hood: you can put it on so many different heads; it will always look awesome! I really wish we would see it in metallic silver, white, or dark brown... 

2 hours ago, nine09nueve said:

How do you know this Exetrius?

Know what? What is included in the Ninjago Movie summer wave, or about the "small revolution"? Well, (confidential) catalogue images leaked at the start of this month. As for the latter question: I intend to take part in it. :wink:

The new star wars riot shield had four studs and so could be built into something more traditional.