Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

Well, since there is no "real" castle (spare me the discussion about Nexo please) in the next months, castle-loving AFOLS will increasingly have to resort to other themes for their historic needs. Since there is a thread for the impact of CMF on historic, I figured it might make sense to have a wider thread for parts from all the other themes.

Up to now, it has been common use to post this in the respective threads, now I suggest to collect that here, too. CMF can remain in the thread already existing.

So let us see how this works out:

Let me begin...

New tall skeleton in Minecraft

There is a new, quite tall black skeleton in the upcoming minecraft sets. A worthy addition to the abundance of skeletons already available. It is particularly the legs which are longer.

New shield in Elves

New shields can make new characters, regiments or even factions. This one is beige and gold with a red gem on it.

New shield in DC licenced

Wonderwoman has a new shield as well, it looks somewhat white and metallic.

You seem to be a fan of LEGO Castles. The series appeared in 1978. So it'll have its jubilee in 2018 - perhaps LEGO will release something worthy by that time. And what's your oppinion on ninja castles as non-Europian sub-theme? I like them most of all, and you?

Friends is also great for this. New hair (if you don't like the minidolls) the grass pieces and RED apples make the sunshine harvest a good choice and there are lots of accessories and parts that is useful in plenty other sets.

Elves obviously has a bunch of great Castle-type stuff. New (presumably printed) windowpanes in The Starlight Inn, new dragon heads and wings in a bunch of different colors, new printed map, a book (the new style from Nexo Knights) with an awesome dragon pattern on it, dragon-patterned flags/banners, a new hourglass piece, and generally a lot of nice building elements.

Marvel Super Heroes has a cool build for a "Giant Man" figure. The bricks are nothing super-useful for Castle but it could be a good template to follow for building your own fairy-tale giants.

Ninjago has a new sword with a skull-shaped hilt guard and a new sword hilt with skull molding. The Ninjago sets use them for sky pirates but they might fit a skeleton/orc/troll faction. Additionally, one of the Ninjago-themed Juniors sets introduces a new arched double-door that fits in the Juniors door frames. There aren't yet any other LEGO door frames that it will fit as far as I'm aware, but I have very fond memories of the many sizes of arched double-doors from the Castle sets I grew up with back in the 90s, and it's been a long time since there's been a door in this style.

And Nexo Knights obviously has a bunch of new shields, monsters, and magic books, as well as the new 1x1 pyramid slopes.

I hadn't noticed the longer skeleton legs from Minecraft, so thanks for pointing those out!

Marvel Super Heroes has a cool build for a "Giant Man" figure. The bricks are nothing super-useful for Castle but it could be a good template to follow for building your own fairy-tale giants.

I hadn't noticed the longer skeleton legs from Minecraft, so thanks for pointing those out!

Good idea with the giant!

The skeletons are one head taller than a minifig!

The sad but true thing is that someone like me who really despises the Friends mini dolls and all the purple and pink bricks and plates has started to buy into Elves and Friends just for cool parts. 41098 for instance has a piece I've imagined for quite a while already. So who wants my mini dolls?

The sad but true thing is that someone like me who really despises the Friends mini dolls and all the purple and pink bricks and plates has started to buy into Elves and Friends just for cool parts. 41098 for instance has a piece I've imagined for quite a while already. So who wants my mini dolls?

I agree, and the same applies to the flashy colors and science fiction elements of Nexo Knights.

In any of these themes, there will likely be more things we can't use for Castle or Historic themes than things we can use. But for the things we can use, there will be BrickLink.

Nexo Knights have a bunch of useful pieces, especially in the villains side.

And some pieces in the heroes side, especially the King's crown/hair piece. That color variation is exclusive to him.

Edited by Robert8

The angry birds Castle is surprisingly decent. I expect it to be overpriced but perhaps worth it once it gets marked down.

Elves is consistently delivering great sets.

I dunno if I am allowed to revive this thread, but I honestly believe it makes sense...

Good news:

1. New shield in 41150 Vaiana's Ocean Voyage.

In the background there is an ominous dark green on black shield with a pagan deity's face on it. I believe it is very useful for making forest/tribal factions such as wood elved, forestmen, vikings etc.

And even better is...

2. New shield and stickers in Elves Magic Rescue from the Goblin Village 41185

Not only has this set a new black shield with an epic golden eye on it, it also has two stickers or printed tiles with the same logo. The golden eye has a Sauron feel to it.

If the tiles are stickered it means that it will be easy to  make a new faction. Put the stickers on other shapes of black shields, banners, horse bardings etc. I can imagine any dark mystic faction from dark elves to evil humans, you name it. 

These two are fine examples how usele sets have a positive impact on the historic themes. 

3. New banner shape in Ragana's Magic shadow castle 41180

Although they are pink and violett, there is a new shape of banners in this set.

I believe all of these are stickers, for those that care.  I personally despise stickers, otherwise I would have bought that Moana set (and I had a store employee verify that these were indeed stickers).  I like the other shield from the Goblin set, hadn't seen that yet.  Most of the female-targeted sets use stickers on shields, from what I've seen so far.  It's a shame, really, as some of the designs are actually really nice.  But at least these sets will give access to black shields.

The Vermillion baddies from the new Ninjago sets for 2017 are designed to resemble warriors made up of clusters of snakes in armor. They could maybe fit in with a "swords and sorcery" type fantasy setting. One of the new helmets is very Asian in style, but the other is more reminiscent of the troll helmets from Fantasy Era Castle sets. These sets also seem to introduce a new copper plastic color, replacing 139 Copper which hasn't been seen since 2008 or so. New parts in this color include some big constraction swords, which may not be useful to Castle builders unless you plan on adding some giants to your layout, but also the Uruk-Hai swords, which I think will be much more appreciated by medieval fantasy builders.

In LEGO Elves, the goblin king's wyvern Ashwing might be more appreciated by Castle builders than the previous Elves dragons since its design is more fearsome. That's not out until March, though.

Interesting, are there any pictures of Ashwing yet? Or is it this yellowish "dragon" I saw in the Elves thread?

Edited by Wardancer

4 hours ago, Wardancer said:

Interesting, are there any pictures of Ashwing yet? Or is it this yellowish "dragon" I saw in the Elves thread?

Yep, this one.

The lego ideas set Fishing Shack may have some use, like the armor shop a building for you factions to fight over.

Minecraft pics recently surfaced. There's nothing really historic-looking in the way of new parts, but the design of the potion bottles in 21133 might be of use to some builders. Transparent minifigure head (any color) plus 1x1 plate with 3.2mm shaft and 1.5mm hole (accessory holder) as the neck plus a normal 1x1 round plate in Reddish Brown as the cork. Very easy design to replicate.

Also, it looks like it hasn't been mentioned here, but the Nexo Knights set 70358 has a character named Robot Hoodlum whose torso uses a 1x1 tile with a Forestman shield pattern. Obviously I don't expect anybody to buy the whole set just for the tile and its spare, but if the set gets parted out on BrickLink it might be something for Forestmen fans to be on the lookout for.

The new Nexo Knights monsters are sort of like living gargoyles which could be good for fantasy settings, like the lava monsters before them, although I know some might be turned off by their blue and purple color palette.

On 12/29/2016 at 0:24 PM, Aanchir said:

In LEGO Elves, the goblin king's wyvern Ashwing might be more appreciated by Castle builders than the previous Elves dragons since its design is more fearsome. That's not out until March, though.

Still a very cutesy dragon, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

Still a very cutesy dragon, in my opinion.

Nothing in the definition of Castle that excludes "cutesy" (though personally I see a design like this as "elegant" or "majestic" more than cute). Besides, it's not like minifigures themselves aren't "cutesy" to a certain extent. :wink:

Edited by Lyichir

Its the DIsney-esque eyes and eyelashes that turns me off of them (as well as their brick-built nature, but thats another discussion).

18 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Nothing in the definition of Castle that excludes "cutesy" (though personally I see a design like this as "elegant" or "majestic" more than cute). Besides, it's not like minifigures themselves aren't "cutesy" to a certain extent. :wink:

True, but I don't see how this is in any way "fearsome."

18 hours ago, Ardelon said:

Its the DIsney-esque eyes and eyelashes that turns me off of them (as well as their brick-built nature, but thats another discussion).

Agreed on both counts.

23 minutes ago, x105Black said:

True, but I don't see how this is in any way "fearsome."

I was thinking in terms of the long black claws and horns, jagged spines, slit-like pupils, and sickly-looking colors. Its face print may not be as aggressive as 2007–2013 Castle dragons, but the overall design is certainly a lot less friendly-looking than the previous LEGO Elves dragons.

While we're on the subject of Elves, the new teaser video on the homepage shows sneak peeks at what are probably some of the summer set contents: the Goblin King's castle and another new dragon (which appears to be Earth Blue in color). The castle seems to use a neat technique for its parapets.

Edited by Aanchir

On 19/12/2015 at 10:19 AM, Wardancer said:

New tall skeleton in Minecraft

This is good - maybe a tall white version will come out soon? Or we can just use the paint brush :)

On 19/12/2015 at 5:02 PM, Aanchir said:

Marvel Super Heroes has a cool build for a "Giant Man" figure.

Having looked a lot at giant sized builds recently... the giant man is too big IMO... I know giants ARE big but how big is big... 24ft / 7m maybe? That's about a 2 story building or so... and if a minifig is 6ft tall (1.8) then that's 4 minifigs high... not a lot of room to build with...

Yes you can build BIG giants... but  if they are too big you wonder how any of the little ones will have a chance in bringing it down!

I say why wait for TLG to come up with that perfect torso / motif / sign and just make them yourselves... there are some groovy things that can be made if one but tries :)

ps: yes I'm aware I'm late to the party but since this is a historical thread I doubt one can ever be Too late :) but if you don't like it then sue me - I am currently represented by Harvey Birdbath at Garrett, Smithkinson and Buttermilk (deceased) attorneys at law

Edited by nine09nueve