SkaForHire

The Empire of Corrington: Sign-up and Discussion

So fellow Corries, now that the die is cast. Naming the islands come next.

The suggestions we have so far for #2

New Corrington

New Balondia

Concordia Dawn

Ophelia Magnus

And for #10

Lalaland

Cocovia

Cocaun

Cocomo

I am curious to see your progression in those new Islands.

Corrington has already a new settlement on one of the new islands and great projects to become ! Great !

May I ask a stupid question ?!

Why did you Corries pick the Mangrove Island ? It has a rumor of a terrible disease there, no ? Am I wrong ?

I am hopping you will make good use and profit with this island. (eyh... the profit of my friend is my benefice pir_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gif !)

We Corlanders do not fear rumours, and should a disease show its ugly face, we see it as an opportunity for research. (And to drink ridiculous amounts of G&T ;) )

I am certain we shall tame the island to serve our designs!

Regarding names, I am still in the thinking box, but will return once that yields something.

@Ska: I would probably have liked to invest in your vessel, but you really didn't give much leeway in terms of deadline ;) Glad Mike could reply with such short notice! (Although that Coyle shipping company seems to get involved in almost everything these days :P)

I know, sorry! It was last minute, I realized with a significant boost, we could get the ship up to a 5T, but we were up against the deadline :(

Glad to hear we have another 5T Ship in the fleet.

On the islands, I prefer Cocovia and New Balondia. A part from rumours of disease on number 2, there were also rumours of iron ore?

Glad to hear we have another 5T Ship in the fleet.

On the islands, I prefer Cocovia and New Balondia. A part from rumours of disease on number 2, there were also rumours of iron ore?

And good harbours and great mineral wealth inland. In fact, probably only a scientific empire like Corrington has the means to exploit this, in a place where doubloons or Gods will be od no use.... ;)

(Although that Coyle shipping company seems to get involved in almost everything these days :P)

Aiden Coyle believes in the diversification of assets. And he also doesn't like DBs just lying around collecting dust. In fact, he really would have no interest in collecting the DBs themselves if it were not for the possibilities that the DBs make possible. pirate_laugh_new.gif

As far as naming, I'm waiting to see if any other names get put on the table.

Once more, lots of good ideas being put forth. The additional ship is great to have too.

At some point we simply must name an island "Skalandia" or something similar.

Once more, lots of good ideas being put forth. The additional ship is great to have too.

At some point we simply must name an island "Skalandia" or something similar.

Skalandia Major and Minor, Occident and Orient?

Skania? Skandia? We need search no more - we have all the names we will ever need right there! ;)

Edit: I thought I had done a pretty good job on commenting, but now half the builds on the front page are as yet uncommented :O

I might have to limit myself somehow, to be able to keep up! :/

Edited by Bregir

Skalandia Major and Minor, Occident and Orient?

Skania? Skandia? We need search no more - we have all the names we will ever need right there! ;)

Edit: I thought I had done a pretty good job on commenting, but now half the builds on the front page are as yet uncommented :O

I might have to limit myself somehow, to be able to keep up! :/

Considering all the work he's put into this, we can surely name something after Ska. Your ideas are a good start to the conversation.

I hear you about commenting. It's this whole end-of-month rush to post things that makes it difficult to keep up with what's happening. I'm going to start calling it "crowd posting" and petition the Corrington courts to hereby and hereafter declare it a minor misdemeanor in all lands owned by the nation of Corrington punishable by 50% fee ("tardy tax") on all values associated wherewith. :pir-laugh: :pir-laugh:

haha well Skandia is the name of my bank, but sure I like the idea of naming something after Ska.

Oh and I was think we need the stats on when people are posting, correlated to how many comments they get, to optimise our posts in the lull periods, or the comment sweet spots depending on what the numbers say.

Or Captain Dee's way is better more taxation!!

Edited by BrickOn

haha well Skandia is the name of my bank, but sure I like the idea of naming something after Ska.

Oh and I was think we need the stats on when people are posting, correlated to how many comments they get, to optimise our posts in the lull periods, or the comment sweet spots depending on what the numbers say.

Or Captain Dee's way is better more taxation!!

I am not going to be the one collecting those stats...

I am not going to be the one collecting those stats...

Really? I thought you had plenty of spare time... pirate_tong.gif

Sarkasm aside, I think we can do with anecdotal evidence, and our experience from here and GoH, for instance.

Too little activity sucks, but too much can be a headache too, at least if you want to comment on all builds!... pirate_blush.gif

And I was thinking of updating my story today, but looking at the influx, I guess I should wait a bit...

Well, if you want comments and critique, waiting might be an advantage... pirate_wink.gif

However, in the next few days we might see another influx - from all the people, who, like me, delays their posts until the new month, to get the 10 dbs! pirate_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_tong.gif

We Corlanders do not fear rumours, and should a disease show its ugly face, we see it as an opportunity for research. (And to drink ridiculous amounts of G&T ;) )

As an old bartender I love it when people know their drinkopedia. The story from another world goes: Tonic contained quinine, which were used in medicine against malaria. And by the brits logic the best way to get your amount of quinine, you should drink as much tonic as possible. And tonic was better with ice, gin and a slice of lime or lemon. This led to "the gin epidemic", which coined slogans such as: "Drunk for a penny, dead drunk for tuppence!". Good luck with the social implications that follow. Not advocating alcohol here, I am warning about it's dangers, just for the record. :pir-wink:

As an old bartender I love it when people know their drinkopedia. The story from another world goes: Tonic contained quinine, which were used in medicine against malaria. And by the brits logic the best way to get your amount of quinine, you should drink as much tonic as possible. And tonic was better with ice, gin and a slice of lime or lemon. This led to "the gin epidemic", which coined slogans such as: "Drunk for a penny, dead drunk for tuppence!". Good luck with the social implications that follow. Not advocating alcohol here, I am warning about it's dangers, just for the record. :pir-wink:

And for bringing this relieving bit of information, you shall be rewarded with an extra ration of rum! pirate_laugh2.gif

Ahem... while your information is not entirely incorrect, your timeline is out. The British love affair with gin was initially an anti French/Catholic countries movement encouraged by the King of the time between 1700s to 1760s. Gin evolved a bastardised version of the Dutch genever and drinking gin meant the Brits weren't importing the wine etc. Without regulation, everyone was making the stuff in their bathtubs and it contained a lot of nasty poisons, leading to the nickname mother's ruin and scene like that of the infamous Gin Lane. This crisis was solved by some proper regulation and all was well with gin again.

However the medical use of gin came later in the time of East India Trading Company in the mid nineteenth century. Quinine powder was taken medically by the British army stationed in India, but since its a bitter power it was mixed wit sugar water to make a tonic and taken with gin to mask the taste. And it was this use of gin that lead to the many successes, long after the Gin lane debacle.

If the disease on the second island bares any resemblance to Malaria, undoubtably Corrington will need to find a source of quinine to and use our scientific prowess to isolate the active ingredient from the bark. And I am sure none of our faction will abuse the pleasures of a G and T.

Yours,

Sir James William Chase.

Edited by BrickOn

Apologies for double posting but I have a newly built fort for Corrington. I have not settled on the location, so if there is anyway in need of a fort then I can build it there. In its current state I think it fulfills the requirements of a 16x16 fort as the three building have roughly that footprint, but I think it will need rebuilding or extending to upgrade to a larger fort, however there is room for expansion.

25342913481_70d49e6eae.jpgFort, on Flickr

Word has come into Arlinsport that the Mermaid is no longer with the fleet. Stay tuned.

Word has come into Arlinsport that the Mermaid is no longer with the fleet. Stay tuned.

:moar:

I feel like I can hear the minifigs screaming as they jump into the water to abandon ship, I bet mine are goners.

I feel like I can hear the minifigs screaming as they jump into the water to abandon ship, I bet mine are goners.

I figured Corrington minifigures died with science and order.

Larry states, "Hey look we have a leak in our ship."

Harry replies, "That means we are going to drown."

Larry brilliantly concludes, "Let's make detailed observations so we don't make the same mistake and drown two times in a row."

Scratching on paper and gargling salt water sound effects.

On another ship

Charlie observes, "Those pirates are getting the best of us."

Barley concurs, "They are definitely going to seize this ship."

Charlie, "Do you think they will make us walk the plank?"

Barley, "My observations do not include that data. Why?"

Charlie states wistfully, "I always wanted to go ship jumping."

Barley, "We can always observe how long a person can swim before they succumb to fatigue."

Charlie, "Good idea! No one has done that experiment yet. Do you think the pirates will help?"

Hmmm I am not sure about order, but I do my best science while screaming...

Hmmm I am not sure about order, but I do my best science while screaming...

Don't we all? :pir-laugh:

Ah, the suspense. Who won it all? Who lost it all? Who's floating helplessly on a plank while fighting off sharks and cannibals? Who's going to be throwing a big celebratory party?......