LegoPercyJ

PLEASE NO SPOILERS Episode VII. Is it good?

What Would You Rate Ep. VII  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Out of five stars...

• 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  2. 2. It is about as good as...

• Star Wars
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • The Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Return of the Sith
    • It's the BEST!

Yeah, this guy is right. Outta 10 I'd give it a 9/9.5. You'd have to be a pretty bitter soul to not like it, it least in some form. I also get that it shares some common themes but overall, it's a different story fools! Sorry if you can't handle. I came out of the theatre genuinely happy that my favorite thing/childhood had not been molested

I am firmly in this camp too. Really great film indeed and in some ways my best film ever. I was born in 77 so only knew ep4 second hand, in fact I think I saw Return first, but in terms of anticipation and just loving both the new and old characters (and wow the ships in this too) this film is just epic. I am trying to think of any film I have seen that I love more - there are not many! Seen it second time tonight. Just great great great and totally gets me drooling for the next one. Star Wars is in great hands. Boy will I have to spend a lot more with TLG...

It is ok. Not more than that.

I was excited to see the crew together again, but it was just that- gathering the crew back.

Not fan of some major decisions in the movie, too.

But seeing them together again was a heartwarming.

6/10 - which is very good in my rankings.

I thought it was very good. Very similar to ep. 4 in many cases, but that does not make it "garbage" or "terrible" like a lot of people are claiming. All of the new characters are interesting and well acted. I particularly find Rey to be more compelling and better acted than both Luke and Anakin.

Edited by Ultron

I loved it. Plain and simple. Better than prequels, on par with OT. I certainly felt like it was similar to ANH, but certainly not in the evil, unimaginative way everyone else seems to think it was. You have to remember, this is a Star Wars movie made by Star Wars fans. Of course when they wrote the script they were like, "Gee, this is pretty similar to a New Hope." That's the point! You can tell that the filmmakers had fun with the similarities. In short, I think the similarities to ANH were done in a very self-aware way to evoke feelings of nostalgia in the viewer (it certainly did to me). Similar? Yes, but different enough to not be derivative.

All of you wanting new stuff, remember what happened to Phantom Menace when it went somewhere totally new? We got Jar-Jar. :hmpf_bad:

I particularly find Rey to be more compelling and better acted than both Luke and Anakin.

+100 on better than Anakin.

I loved Rey's character, she was perfect. I knew from the start she would be my favorite character. She definitely stole the show, anyways I really liked the movie. If your a huge star wars fan, you got to see it. Most of the actors were good, better than the prequels for sure.

Very good film. Loved all of the characters, especially Adam Driver's Kylo Ren.

My least favorite character was Rey, she was riveting, but had a pretty basic backstory. She also mastered the Force far too quickly and for a while I forgot Finn was even in the movie because Rey had been the only good guy around for the last half hour.

LOL @ the three people who said it was AOTC quality. Nothing is worse than that movie.

I saw the movie Tuesday night and answered the poll the next day. i wanted to wait to reply until I could give it more thought though. While i liked the movie a great deal right off and gave it 5 stars and thought it compared best with ROTJ I wanted to reflect on it more. After doing so, my opinion of it has only risen, which is unusual for me as most of the time I think less of movies after further analysis. I have since amended my vote to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 star level and best yet. My reasoning, without getting too spoilery (I'm going to post in the star wars thread, where I can go deeper in my analysis, as well) is that while the film clearly borrows a lot from the OT, especially episodes IV and V, what it did for me was bring all of those traits together and combine them in one package. Now, I am going to move to the other thread so I can go more in depth...

Now than I've seen it, I'll put my take on it.

It was good. Not the best ever, but pretty good. It has it's share of surprises and revels, lots of recycled things from the OT as well as I belive some from the EU, but plenty of new and cool scenes as well.

Edited by LegoPercyJ

Wonder how much the actor who played Luke was paid (Sorry for the minor spoiler)

What do you guys think? Any estimates? Lol

I just watched it, seriously the only thing i didnt like was Rey's Insta-Mastery of everything. Visuals and Sound were very OT-Style. Kylo Ren is... something else. I think it's up there with OT and way better than PT. Lightyears ahead of Phantom Menace!

I just watched it, seriously the only thing i didnt like was Rey's Insta-Mastery of everything. Visuals and Sound were very OT-Style. Kylo Ren is... something else. I think it's up there with OT and way better than PT. Lightyears ahead of Phantom Menace!

I think it was good, but not as super-duper-amazing as many make it out to be. Anyone who is giving this film a (near) perfect score is either easily entertained or is fanboying. I'm not being bitter or anything (believe me, I was fanboying at the theater too), I'm just judging the film objectively. I'd put it firmly between the prequels and the OT. It has indeed a lot of similarities to A New Hope and other parts of the OT and is obviously self-aware of that which took me out of the movie sometimes. The plot, the character types, the locations, the vehicles, most of it seems like we've seen it all before, but the new characters are good, although the villains are a bit underwhelming. There are lots of plot holes and some very convenient plot points, but maybe these holes will be filled in the next two movies. As a Star Wars fan who even enjoyed the prequels, I still liked the movie a lot, I just wish they wouldn't have tried so hard to make it like A New Hope in order to prey on the nostalgia of the fans and given us a bit more of an original story.

I saw the film two days ago, and I'll just add my two cents (If you haven't already seen it-which you would be mad not to!)

Pros

Exellent new characters (Rey and Finn really stood out, as did BB8 in his (its?) own way)

Excellent visuals and sets-not too much of that CGI nonsense from the prequals thank god!

Great dialouge and acting-the film made me laugh and cry in equal measures

Cons

Seriously way to much needless copying from a new hope, for no good reason, that ends up seeming really odd and forced

Bit of a rushed and convenient second arc IMO

Suffered from serious overhype in the run up to release

All in all, I really enjoyed myself watching it, even if it was a bit lazily folllowing ANH formula in places, and I would reccomend anyone go and see it, if only because it is another star was film-isn't that incentive enough? I would say it was about on par with ROTJ-certinaly way beter than any of the prequals, but then again it would have to be something else to get anywhere close to Empire or ANH in my books

Edited by Enceladus

Wonder how much the actor who played Luke was paid (Sorry for the minor spoiler)

What do you guys think? Any estimates? Lol

According to film tradition, the highest paid actor is listed first in the credits. Episode VII credits:

1. Harrison Ford

2. Mark Hamill

I am very surprised he was second on the list, considering there were a lot more prominent characters in the film.

What's old is new again. It was good, better than PT. It was like a passing of the torch, er light sabre, from the old to a new generation to carry on the fight.

I was in the 5th grade when I saw Ep.IV in a theater. Needless to say it blew me away. I was almost in a shock when I walked out of the theater after watching Ep.V. Ep.VI made it whole again in the end, and made me able to truly enjoy Ep.V - which, after repeat viewings, I feel is the best. But, it's really hard to pick one OT film. If I had to pick only one, it'd be Ep.IV.

I like different things about the prequels which came out after my college graduation. I enjoyed the lightsaber battles then, but they were way over choreographed (Crouching Tiger stuff) and a pain to watch in repeated viewings (especially after I started kendo - thanks in part to the OT :wink:). I thought the plot of the fall of the republic and rise of the empire was clever and realistic. But it didn't bring back the feeling of watching any of the OT films (I suspected I had grown too old). I never bought the Jedi as military leaders.

I went into Ep.VII showing with high hopes and anxiety of being let down. It lived up to my highest expectations. It brough back the feeling of watching the OT. My 4th and 2nd graders were blown away also. It was as good in the second viewing. Star Wars is back!

Edited by YSDWDY

For me it positions itself nicely between the PT and OT, better than anything in the PT and not quite up there with the OT.

I agree that some key plot elements were a bit too similar to previous movies.

I liked the first half of the movie better than the last half, I think Rey's backstory on Jakku was really well done.

Practically no CGI makes a beautiful movie that feels like the original trilogy, I loved it!

Well, mostly What Kylo Renn did near the end was heartbreaking.

Columbus

Practically no CGI makes a beautiful movie that feels like the original trilogy, I loved it!

Make no mistake -- there's a ton of CGI in The Force Awakens (just like there were a lot of practical effects and miniatures in the prequel trilogy). It's all about what's emphasized by the filmmakers/studio.

Make no mistake -- there's a ton of CGI in The Force Awakens (just like there were a lot of practical effects and miniatures in the prequel trilogy). It's all about what's emphasized by the filmmakers/studio.

Yes, I know that there is a lot of cgi in tfa but, it feels like there isn't, unlike the prequels where I have had discussions as to whether young Anikin is real or not (no jokes).

Columbus

P.S- Who else wants the original trilogy without George's messing upiness the special edition changes.