Darth Dino

What you think of the Star Wars EP VII Sets after watching the movie..

What a waste for the Snowspeeder. Only seen 2 seconds and I have to watch the movie for the 2nd time just to spot it. It appeared twice but the second time it was fraction of a second only and only the rear end was shown. The LEGO build is bigger than it should have been for sure.

I would also love to have a new UCS Millennium Falcon. I think it is about time.

Oh, and Kylo Ren's shuttle should have been darker gray if not black.

Edited by makoy

The one thing that strikes me after seeing the movie is that we should be prepared to be patient waiting for Luke. Really, the Falcon was the only obvious set for his inclusion, and Disney/Lego passed on that for obvious reasons. I can't imagine Luke in a polybag or in a cheap set, so I suspect that we might not see him until the Episode 8 sets, and perhaps not even the wave 1 sets depending on what aspects of the story are kept under wraps. This is an instance that Lego has a dilemma that doesn't apply the other manufacturers, like Hasbro, that are marketing individual figures.

Edited by Backgild

After watching the movie, the stud shooters on Poe's X-Wing make more sense. After all,

that last battle saw a lot of proton torpedo action! (Is this even a spoiler? Apparently talking about the movie constitutes a spoiler :hmpf_bad: )

It makes sense that kids would wanna re-enact that with the set.

Also, I think the minifigure selection in the First Order BP may be to help people recreate this scene.

Edited by Junior Shark

I think all the sets make sense from the point of view that Lego got limited prelim pics to work off of. I think the only item that may not line up just right is Rey's Speeder, given that she fights an Unkar thug in town.

I'd also add that as Phasma did nothing in this movie, her role in a set should have been much smaller. And she may not even warrant a constraction figure just yet. But again, that's due to the reliance on prelim material.

I think all the sets make sense from the point of view that Lego got limited prelim pics to work off of. I think the only item that may not line up just right is Rey's Speeder, given that she fights an Unkar thug in town.

I'd also add that as Phasma did nothing in this movie, her role in a set should have been much smaller. And she may not even warrant a constraction figure just yet. But again, that's due to the reliance on prelim material.

I believe the reason Phasma is in the Transporter is because of

The beginning of the movie, when she "leads" the raid on that town on Jakku. IIRC, there weren't any other sets that she could have been put in and made sense in the context of the movie.

I think the first order transporter is a great set. Yes, it is not to scale, and I would prefer (as an adult) it to be larger BUT considering that these are aimed at the 8-14 bracket, it is pretty good. I like it, and now I've seen the film, I like it even more.

I now really want the battle of takodana set and will display this alongside the first order transporter

Yes, but that still doesn't explain a complete absence of Y's, B's or A's. Even ANH had X's and Ys, plus capital ships for the Rebels and there was variety on the Empire side, too. No military force relies exclusively on a single piece of equipment.

They said they were seperate from the Republic fleet, so I'm assuming capital ships and the other small craft were with them. It makes sense for one resistance cell to only be flying one type of fighter.

After watching the movie, the stud shooters on Poe's X-Wing make more sense.

They already made sense though, T-65's had proton torpedo launchers in the same spot.

They said they were seperate from the Republic fleet, so I'm assuming capital ships and the other small craft were with them. It makes sense for one resistance cell to only be flying one type of fighter.

That's how I took it. Mind you, and I know I will be seen as a complete anorak here but even with our warfare in the 21st century, the number of fighter/bomber variants have reduced with each airframe being utilised in multiple roles. So it is possible that the x wing has taken on multi role. But I also believe, as you say, that the republic fleet probably had multiple air frames but the resistance, listed as a private enterprise, was more single frame.

But, now having seen the movie, I will add that I am very happy with the lego sets. Especially given that we have the next lot coming in January. I even think the first order battle pack can double as a starkiller battle

Ok so I had an idea about Kylo Ren's Shuttle. The recently released WALL E had problems with the head/neck staying in place I believe. Lego then released a fix for that problem. What if Lego released a mod to tilt the wings of the shuttle? Jangbricks mod is a good example of what Lego could use (with his permission of course!). I think that Lego would be well served to do so even though it wasn't at fault for the lack of the function on the set.

Ok so I had an idea about Kylo Ren's Shuttle. The recently released WALL E had problems with the head/neck staying in place I believe. Lego then released a fix for that problem. What if Lego released a mod to tilt the wings of the shuttle? Jangbricks mod is a good example of what Lego could use (with his permission of course!). I think that Lego would be well served to do so even though it wasn't at fault for the lack of the function on the set.

That's not a bad idea, I will admit I don't own the shuttle, but having seen a few of the images of it, I reckon that would be a good idea.

That's how I took it. Mind you, and I know I will be seen as a complete anorak here but even with our warfare in the 21st century, the number of fighter/bomber variants have reduced with each airframe being utilised in multiple roles. So it is possible that the x wing has taken on multi role. But I also believe, as you say, that the republic fleet probably had multiple air frames but the resistance, listed as a private enterprise, was more single frame.

But, now having seen the movie, I will add that I am very happy with the lego sets. Especially given that we have the next lot coming in January. I even think the first order battle pack can double as a starkiller battle

Exactly, look at how the F-35 was intended to replace multiple fighters.

And to the lack of TIE Interceptors, it was noted that the TIE/sf "can move", so perhaps it fills the role that the Interceptor used to.

Exactly, look at how the F-35 was intended to replace multiple fighters.

And to the lack of TIE Interceptors, it was noted that the TIE/sf "can move", so perhaps it fills the role that the Interceptor used to.

Exactly

And besides, I always imagined the republic retired much of its fleet in its naivety that the war was over......and probably only kept a few armaments

Exactly

And besides, I always imagined the republic retired much of its fleet in its naivety that the war was over......and probably only kept a few armaments

According to new cannon, the Battle of Jakku effectively ended the war. It will be interesting to see what took place in those 29 years between the battle and TFA.

According to new cannon, the Battle of Jakku effectively ended the war. It will be interesting to see what took place in those 29 years between the battle and TFA.

I loved the starship graveyard scene and I didn't know that about the battle of jakku. That's interesting. It also adds the geopolitics into more context as well.

I genuinely was impressed by the film and how they played out the first order I thought was brilliant.

The only ones I can think off are:

Blue X-Wing

First Order Star Destroyer

Eravana (Han's freighter)

Standard TIE Fighter (only difference between this and the Special Forces one is the lack of cogs on the wings and no red paint)

First Order AT-AT

Quadjumper (ship that gets destroyed on Jakku)

Jakku Village (Lor San Tekka) and Niima Outpost seem to be being forgotten. We don't have Unkar or LST yet.

Jakku Village (Lor San Tekka) and Niima Outpost seem to be being forgotten. We don't have Unkar or LST yet.

They haven't been forgotten. My previous post was just referring to the remaining ships and vehicles since we're kind of scraping at the bottom of the barrel there. Only the blue X-Wing and First Order Star Destroyer are really necessary. The standard TIE Fighter can easily be modded from the Special Forces one, the First Order AT-AT and Quadjumper are too obscure and the Eravana can always be designed as a location rather than a ship.

Location-wise (aside from the Eravana) there's still plenty of options left with the Jakku (Tuanul) Village, Niima Outpost, Resistance Base, Starkiller Base and Maz's Cantina. In terms of minifigures there's quite a few notable characters and variants left to be made:

Rey (Resistance Outfit)

Poe (Resistance Outfit)

Han Solo (Cold Weather Gear)

General Leia (Farewell gown)

General Hux (officer uniform without coat and hat)

Luke Skywalker

Supreme Leader Snoke

Lor San Tekka

Teedo

Unkar Plutt

Special Forces TIE Fighter Pilot

Bala-Tik (Guavian Leader)

Guavian Enforcer

Sidon Ithano/Crimson Corsair

Quiggold

Bazine Netal

Admiral Statura

Jess Pava (X-Wing Pilot)

Ello Asty (X-Wing Pilot)

Nien Nunb

First Order Office in blue uniform

Plus plenty of obscure background characters to pick from.

They haven't been forgotten. My previous post was just referring to the remaining ships and vehicles since we're kind of scraping at the bottom of the barrel there. Only the blue X-Wing and First Order Star Destroyer are really necessary. The standard TIE Fighter can easily be modded from the Special Forces one, the First Order AT-AT and Quadjumper are too obscure and the Eravana can always be designed as a location rather than a ship.

Location-wise (aside from the Eravana) there's still plenty of options left with the Jakku (Tuanul) Village, Niima Outpost, Resistance Base, Starkiller Base and Maz's Cantina. In terms of minifigures there's quite a few notable characters and variants left to be made:

Rey (Resistance Outfit)

Poe (Resistance Outfit)

Han Solo (Cold Weather Gear)

General Leia (Farewell gown)

General Hux (officer uniform without coat and hat)

Luke Skywalker

Supreme Leader Snoke

Lor San Tekka

Teedo

Unkar Plutt

Special Forces TIE Fighter Pilot

Bala-Tik (Guavian Leader)

Guavian Enforcer

Sidon Ithano/Crimson Corsair

Quiggold

Bazine Netal

Admiral Statura

Jess Pava (X-Wing Pilot)

Ello Asty (X-Wing Pilot)

Nien Nunb

First Order Office in blue uniform

Yeah. I feel like we'll be lucky to get a handful of those.

Location-wise (aside from the Eravana) there's still plenty of options left with the Jakku (Tuanul) Village, Niima Outpost, Resistance Base, Starkiller Base and Maz's Cantina.

I'd love to get any of these locations - I've become more drawn to location sets than ships recently. As far as Maz's Cantina goes, does the back of the doors in the Battle on Takodana set have anywhere obvious that this could attach to (technic pinholes etc)? I'm guessing that the lever for the exploding step feature precludes this a bit.

The sets are still great, but I certainly won't be getting any additional First Order Snowspeeders given their nearly non-appearance in the film. There must be an upcoming deleted scene which includes them.

The resistance base on DQar is going to be difficult to build. As will Starkiller Base. Battle on Takodana is a great start for developing the interior on the other side.

I guess a minimig scale Evrana will be attempted by someone, which will be awesome to see!

I guess a minimig scale Evrana will be attempted by someone, which will be awesome to see!

What's this Evrana I keep hearing about? Is it the proper name for Maz Kanata's castle?

EDIT:

I just realized it may be Han & Chewie's new ship, right?

Edited by Junior Shark

Other than the obvious inaccuracies with Kylo Ren's ship, I am pretty happy with all the sets, especially the TIE, X-wing, and Transporter.

With only one full wave having been released, there was bound to be a huge list of characters without minifigs. I'd say they did a great job getting us all the important characters right away, and even tossed us a few minor ones, too. (Kanjiklub and Unkar)

I do think TLG did darned well with the selection and personally I think the wave is a high for recent Star Wars waves. A controversial comment perhaps