Darth Dino

What you think of the Star Wars EP VII Sets after watching the movie..

Yea, that sounds more than valid and nicely explained.

You nailed is with the comparison with these old times - that's exactly what I tried to express, yet failed finding the right way to do so. I'm pure example of the one who'd like the old-style model better, knowing it's hardly possible to apply today.

Well I hope that Lord Business won't affect further lego products in a negative way and the partnership will do good both for the companies and customers :)

Edited by krisandkris12

I was in the store toy aisle the other day, ( before the LEGO was completely cleaned out :tongue: ) and I found a Kylo Ren's shuttle die cast, maybe a few inches tall, with the vertical wings and it was White! Actually looked kinda of cool in white, reminiscent of the Lambda class Imperial design. So, yeah, there was a last-minute production change in the movie that affected the merchandising. I also have a poster with the same shuttle clearly visible on it, so not just toys were affected by this.

I agree with you Kris, that when they make the next movie, hopefully they will not do any serious changes that will be inconsiderate to their license holders, and ultimately the Star Wars fans. After all, we are the reason they are even in business.

The world has become a much more demanding place where everyone wants to have everything NOW, if not five minutes ago.

The thing is though its a bit of a paradox, people want the sets early but they also expect perfection amongst the sets. This of course is unrealistic, in order for Lego to provide new sets for a new movie on time they have no choice but to work of concept art, but that will result in some inaccuracies. :\

Edit: How about names? Doesn't toys reveal them? I just realized that I had no idea about all these character names or 'first order' for example before seing these on lego sets. I'm not saying that it's some disaster but I think I felt a bit weird about it since it never happened to me before :)

I think it sort of depends on what you define as a "spoiler". To some, even a name or a place could be classed as a spoiler but to others, they don't mind. I mean, as long as major plot points aren't being revealed through the sets I think that would be fine.

Only a small addition to what has been said:

I too think Lego did a good job and now that the movie is out I am sure the sets will only improve. The only disappointment for me is the lack of cuff titles. It is one of the few distinctive elements of the otherwise rather bland FO officer uniform (obviously taken directly from German uniform tradition). I know Lego rarely does arm printing but I think it would have been worth it.

I was in the store toy aisle the other day, ( before the LEGO was completely cleaned out :tongue: ) and I found a Kylo Ren's shuttle die cast, maybe a few inches tall, with the vertical wings and it was White! Actually looked kinda of cool in white, reminiscent of the Lambda class Imperial design. So, yeah, there was a last-minute production change in the movie that affected the merchandising. I also have a poster with the same shuttle clearly visible on it, so not just toys were affected by this.

I agree with you Kris, that when they make the next movie, hopefully they will not do any serious changes that will be inconsiderate to their license holders, and ultimately the Star Wars fans. After all, we are the reason they are even in business.

Yup, I was in Walmart last night and realized it was a poster I saw with the light grey Ren shuttle, not a book. I also saw this guy in Walgreens, was going to post it in this thread, but I wasn't sure if the model was just white for the sake of being white.

20151225_135354.jpg

Of course all this leads to a lot of unfinished products that have a lot of missed out potential, but again it doesnt matter for the overall business...

*cought*Battlefront*cough*

Actually a white version of the Shuttle combined with the red visor/view port on the front would probably look even more diabolic than with black :cry_happy: Can someone please MOD/MOC that? :grin:

Battlefront? Please lets stay with Lego, we have definitely enough unfinished products with them already :laugh:

I'm disappointed in you guys. Still no Eravana MOC?

I figured by now, someone would make one big enough for an Advent-sized Falcon... As one big enough for the 10179 would require a couple of BL orders, to say the least.

:tongue:

Finally found this thread! I saw the film twice, and I caught the snowspeeder both times. It did not, IMO, warrant a set. Also, the first order transport didn't really need to have the wheels to give the hover effect, as the transport flies rather than hovers. Kylo Ren's ship goes without saying of course. Otherwise, I believe they've done a fine job with the wave, along with the upcoming sets. Sorry if I'm late to the party. One question: does anyone know if the speeder in the Resistance Battle Pack is a made up model, or if it's

The medic speeder from the end of the film?

Two things I found a DC book ("The Force Awakens - Incredible Cross Sections") made me appreciate the FO Transporter even more:

* the cockpit is very accurate (the illustration shows a pilot standing upright in it)

* the popping-gunner play feature is also spot-on! The image actually shows a stromtrooper on a raised platform and a round hatch granting access to the gun

Finally found this thread! I saw the film twice, and I caught the snowspeeder both times. It did not, IMO, warrant a set. Also, the first order transport didn't really need to have the wheels to give the hover effect, as the transport flies rather than hovers. Kylo Ren's ship goes without saying of course. Otherwise, I believe they've done a fine job with the wave, along with the upcoming sets. Sorry if I'm late to the party. One question: does anyone know if the speeder in the Resistance Battle Pack is a made up model, or if it's

I can't find a good picture of it anywhere, but the speeder is real, in-universe. It is on p63 of the DK SW: TFA Visual Dictionary.

Two things I found a DC book ("The Force Awakens - Incredible Cross Sections") made me appreciate the FO Transporter even more:

* the cockpit is very accurate (the illustration shows a pilot standing upright in it)

* the popping-gunner play feature is also spot-on! The image actually shows a stromtrooper on a raised platform and a round hatch granting access to the gun

I was very surprised by the details in the cross sections. It made me appreciate the a spotter ten fold

The issue with Kylo Ren's Shuttle has been discussed ad nauseum - I'm at peace with it. The mod at least gave me something to do while waiting for Dec 17th :sweet:

The 75140 Resistance Troop Transporter raised the biggest eyebrow before seeing the movie, but afterwards makes perfect sense, and I'm looking forward to the set - looks great.

And I imagine there's a bunch of film footage of the First Order Snowspeeder on the cutting room floor. I've already noticed numerous copies of this one surviving the Christmas frenzy - it will be a perfect set for a clearance purchase, as will KRs Shuttle perhaps.

75139 Battle on Takodana is disappointing, but not at all surprising. I'll wait and see if we get a 'cantina' set from this location.

Maz Kanata: Am I one of the few who actually likes this character? The prelim images looked horrible, her minifig looks so-so, but I found her look and character in the movie quite endearing, and not at all annoying as I feared...she's like Han Solo's foster mom :laugh:

Well, i'm happy i didn't pay to see the movie. Not that it is a bad movie, but could it be anymore EP4? If you really like this movie, then you have fallen into the "Trap". :)

Its just an update of the OT, from anakin's lightsaber being handed down to Tatooine , euh Jakku to the destruction of the Deathstar... euh I mean starkiller base.

Even the title... The force Awakens... aka A New Hope.

What is next... EP 8 The First Order Strikes Back and EP 9 The Return of Luke Skywalker?

Edited by Hinckley
Use spoiler tags

...anyway, back on topic.

I forgot to include just one nitpick about Poe's X-wing and that's the oval shape of the engine intakes. After seeing these new X-wings in the movie, the circular shape of the intakes now make the LEGO version look sorta strange. Nice set overall, just too bad there wasn't a better way to make those intakes perfectly round.

Another thought, after having bought the FO Battlepack: Lego added far too many "FO Crew" (actually engineers, the guys with the huge, ugly helmet) to the sets. There is one in the BP, one with the TIE, two with the shuttle. We have almost as many Crew as we have regular Stormtroopers. I mean, who needs them all? Remove one from the shuttle and one from BP, replace them with regular Stormtroopers and everything would have been fine.

A similar oddity may be that it is easy to amass Snowtroopers. But then, building an army of Snowtroopers makes a lot more sense than building an army of engineers. (Also it seems some Snowtrooper scenes were cut, like searching the Falcon).

However, all this is mere nitpicking. Overall Lego did a very good job with the minifig selection of the first sets. Of course, in the future I expect some of the more exotic characters to become minifigs.

Edited by Flieger

A word regarding the Special Forces Tie Fighter: Aside from the improper non Special Forces Tie Pilots and the turret on the underside that cant turn, I think the ship is spot on!

The Red Stripe is well done and I really like the proportions as well as the angles. Also I think that the Light Bluish Gray for the wing panels was the better choice than white. At least the normal white would have probably been too bright for my taste. The LBG gives it more sublety.

Also on the picture featured on wookiepedia, it looks more like LBG to me personally: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/sf_space_superiority_fighter

All in all, I enjoyed the build quite a bit (even the Wings when you do one before and after the central body) and the Tie makes for a fantastic display model.

Its even quite big and has the perfect Lego scale to me (everything bigger would just be overkill due to the very simplicity of the design, for example the UCS Tie Fighter).

The model from the resistance battle pack is based on the gian 211 speeder, there's a photo of it in the new visual dictionary. The only difference is it doesn't have a turret on the back, the twin front blaster are accurate though.

Well, i'm happy i didn't pay to see the movie. Not that it is a bad movie, but could it be anymore EP4? If you really like this movie, then you have fallen into the "Trap". :)

Didn't pay to see it but your comments seem to suggest you did see it...pirated/bootlegged/found online, eh? Naughty naughty! You probably got coal from Santa.

Didn't pay to see it but your comments seem to suggest you did see it...pirated/bootlegged/found online, eh? Naughty naughty! You probably got coal from Santa.

Or maybe he got invited to the see the movie in the cinema and simply someone else bought his ticket? :wink:

What is next... EP 9 The Return of Luke Skywalker?

Having seen the end of the movie three times now, I sure as hell hope that's the title.

After seeing TFA four times now (which I loved BTW) I doubt I will be getting any of the TFA ships or sets. Although I have ordered some TFA mini figs.

I just don't have the room for anything other than OT sets.

Its just an update of the OT, from anakin's lightsaber being handed down to Tatooine , euh Jakku to the destruction of the Deathstar... euh I mean starkiller base.

Even the title... The force Awakens... aka A New Hope.

What is next... EP 8 The First Order Strikes Back and EP 9 The Return of Luke Skywalker?

Please use spoiler tags when giving away...oh, everything about the movie. Also, this isn't a topic about the movies, it's about the sets. Please stay on topic.

Once again, if you want to discuss plot points, please be respectful of other members who might not have seen the movie yet. Use spoiler tags. Don't be jerks. Furthermore, this topic is for discussion of the sets, not the movies so if you discuss the movie...without mentioning the sets...guess what...you're not on topic.

Last week I "analyzed" my First Order SF Tie Fighter to see what I can change in order to make the Set better/ more accurate without redesigning big parts of it.

As you can see on the pictures below, there wasnt really much to do. The most noticable change is the inward facing side of the solar panels, that were changed to be more accurate in colour and structure.

Aside from that, the other changes were:

- Removed/ Replaced Spring-Loaded Shooters

- Turret on the underside of the central body can rotate

And thats it, the mod was roughly 100 parts. Of course you could argue because its a fairly simple build, there isnt that much do mod naturally. But I think the very good shape of the whole ship (central body, wing connections, wings), the proper Red Stripe as well as a good colourization should really be acknowlegded (especially when we look at other, way more inaccurate TFA Sets, like Kylo Rens Shuttle or even the First Order Transporter in regard of the proportions).

The point I want to make is that the Set really met my high expectations (due to the high price) and really feels proper to what we see in the movie.

So even with a controversial price I still think this set is the best on the TFA Line so far.

img_6757.jpg

img_6774.jpg

img_6762.jpg

Edited by BigEl