Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Vignette! VOTE NOW!

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Vignette Voting!  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your favourite! (Entries are in order of submission)

• LuxorV
    • Doctor Sinister
    • imperialshadows
    • ZeekyBoogeyDoog
  2. 2. Are you familiar with the works of Douglas Adams?

• Of course!
    • Well, I did see the movie!
    • Who?

indexed.gif

Welcome to the voting thread, please scroll through this entire post where you will see a sampling of the pics submitted and a short description as written by each entrant when they submitted them.

Voting should, ideally, be a balance of both suitability of the work to the original scene intended and pure LEGO building skills, but if you are unfamiliar with the source, voting purely on skill and style is certainly fair.

The entries, in order of submission:

LuxorV: The First Vogon

"When the Vogon had first crawled out of the sluggish primeval seas of Vogsphere, and had lain panting and heaving on the planet's virgin shores... when the first rays of the bright young Vogsol sun had shone acros them that morning, it was as if the forces of evolution had simply given up on them there and then, had turned aside in disgust and written them off as an ugly and unfortunate mistake. They never evolved again; they should never have survived." [The Hickhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - cap. 5]

luxorv.jpg

Gallery here

Doctor Sinister: Marvin vs the Frogstar Scout Robot Class D

This is the scene from Chapter 7 of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe and also from series 2 episode 1 of the radio series where Marvin encounters a Frogstar Scout Robot Class D which has been sent to capture Zaphod Beeblebrox. They meet on a skybridge between two buildings suspended 15 stories above ground and Marvin tricks and annoys the robot into taking out the walls, ceiling and eventually the floor of the bridge, causing it to plummet to the ground to its destruction.

docsin1.jpgdocsin2.jpg

More Images

imperialshadows: A Horse in the Bathroom

`Well, I hope you had a lousy evening.'

`I did,' said Richard. `You wouldn't have liked it. There was a horse in the bathroom, and you know you hate that sort of thing.'

[Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency]

horse1.pngnohorse2.png

With Horse #2 / No Horse #2

ZeekyBoogeyDoog: You're a jerk Dent, a real megablock

The scene where none other than Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged insults Arthur Dent in prehistoric earth.

zbd1.jpgzbd2.jpgzbd3.jpg

Those are our four entries. Please vote carefully, the fate of the known universe rests in your hands. ;-)

Just wanted to say, thanks for hosting the competition and good luck to my fellow contestants, we've all done Douglas proud. *y*

Dr. S.

Just wanted to say, thanks for hosting the competition and good luck to my fellow contestants, we've all done Douglas proud. *y*

Dr. S.

You're most welcome, it's been fun. :-)

I wish more people would have participated, but I'm pleased we had the quality of turnout we had. I'm sure he'd have approved, I know I do. *y*

I voted for Doctor Sinister as he did a great version of one of my favourite scenes from the trilogy. :-P I believe the only novel of his that I have not read is "The Salmon of Doubt". I even own the print version of the unofficial novel of Shada...

I wish more people would have participated, but I'm pleased we had the quality of turnout we had.

Sorry. :-$ I did want to enter but with the 3500 part MOC i'm making for the smackdown I'm a bit low on time. :'-(

With no knowledge of Douglas Adams's work, I voted for ZBD. I thought it was the most interesting and well constructed. They are all great, though! They make me wish I had read some of Douglas's work. I hate feeling left out :'-(

With no knowledge of Douglas Adams's work, I voted for ZBD. I thought it was the most interesting and well constructed. They are all great, though! They make me wish I had read some of Douglas's work. I hate feeling left out :'-(

Hitchhikers is a short book... ;-)

... and just quirky enough, even during the slower parts, to keep even the shortest attention span in line. *y*

I had to vote for myself, just for encouragement :-$ X-D

You all made great vigs, and I expecially like imperialshadows', even if I did not read the book in question ;-)

It was fun making the vigs (I made 5 and chose this, maybe not the best choice, after all...), so I'll post the discarded ones as off-contest, now that the entry tread is over.

May the best vig win *y*

LuxorV

Are there multi-syllabic words? I get confused past two... *wacko*

I voted for ZeekyBoogeyDoog. I loved that scene. T'was excellent! Not to mention it's built very well, and detailed.

My 2nd choice was Doctor Sinister's. Quite creative construction, I love the collapsing bridge, and Marvin is very unique. LuxorV's one was very cool too, and ImperialShadow's one has great tips if you want to make a bathroom. Although I thought this competition was for HHGTTG, not Douglas Adams. Oh well, great job guys! *y* *y*

42 ON! :-D

~Peace

I had to vote for myself, just for encouragement :-$ X-D

You all made great vigs, and I expecially like imperialshadows', even if I did not read the book in question ;-)

It was fun making the vigs (I made 5 and chose this, maybe not the best choice, after all...), so I'll post the discarded ones as off-contest, now that the entry tread is over.

May the best vig win *y*

LuxorV

Thanks! I came very close to voting for yours on the principle that it represented a scene that I wouldn't have expected, and did it so well, especially the Fabuland figure choice. I will be sure to drop by the discarded entry thread to see all of your efforts! :-)

Are there multi-syllabic words? I get confused past two... *wacko*

If you have any trouble with the big words, you can come here and ask us, we'll help. |-/ X-D

... and ImperialShadow's one has great tips if you want to make a bathroom. Although I thought this competition was for HHGTTG, not Douglas Adams.

The cabinet and shower (I liked the soap dish, it's always the silliest part of something that makes me the happiest), plus the fairly obvious floor, are all mine, but I still stole Hinckley's toilet. Haven't you noticed him hopping around more lately? >:-)

The title of the thread/contest was a bit misleading that way, but I thought that more people would recognise Hitchhiker's than Douglas Adams on his own. If you would have entered something otherwise, my deepest apologies for being unclear (and please post it somewhere, I know we'd all love to see more of these).

I'm just going to add, once again, that I'm very impressed by the efforts made and also appreciate those of you who have taken the time to comment (and vote, of course!).

I never announced a duration of voting, so I figure a few more days and once all traffic drops off, we'll announce the grand prize winner! (haha, grand prize...)

Hmm... now that I mention it. Oh Hinckley! You wouldn't happen to have picked up title making rights with that recent promotion, would you, assuming our winner would want one?

Hmm... now that I mention it. Oh Hinckley! You wouldn't happen to have picked up title making rights with that recent promotion, would you, assuming our winner would want one?

No, but SW4J should....

I voted for ZBD. "You're a jerk, Dent, a real MegaBlok", is my favorite part in the book. :-)

I've had a few ideas... I'll post them soon, seeing as I missed my (and Impie's!) own competition... Ain't that just sad? :-P

... seeing as I missed my (and Impie's!) own competition... Ain't that just sad? :-P

I didn't even notice. :-| |-/ :'-(

What a wonderful organizing team *wacko* :-P X-D

At least, even with so few entries, this contest got to the voting tread. The first two I entered [Hunted Mansion and Jurassic Park] never came to this, and only faded away :'-( .

P.S.: I just saw, while looking for the link, that the JP contest will end on the 29th, so there is still hope, even if only 3 entries till now... [and the third is impressive 8-

Thank you to everyone who voted for me :-$ !

Congratulations to everyone for their great entries *y* , (which prevented this contest from failing horribly ;-) )

I voted for Imperial shadow's, the bathroom is really cleverly designed *y* .

Thank you to everyone who voted for me :-$ !

Congratulations to everyone for their great entries *y* , (which prevented this contest from failing horribly ;-) )

I voted for Imperial shadow's, the bathroom is really cleverly designed *y* .

Hey, thanks for the vote (and to all of you who saw fit to bestow some honour upon my entry), it's seriously appreciated. That alone will keep me from whining that the contest was not poorly planned and didn't almost fail horribly (except that I think I did the same exact thing at the end of the entry thread, so I'll just :-X there).

It's beginning to look fairly safe to declare Doctor Sinister our winner at this point, but it isn't quite over yet, so we'll just keep up the suspense as long as possible (until I know how the awarding will go). A very well chosen scene, perfectly portrayed, and with a cute-as-heck Marvin to boot. *y*

Now I can't make any promises here, but I do think an attempt should be made to procure an Adams related title for the winner, so I'll ask for suggestions as to what it should be. Any ideas?

I guess I should start begging now, since a title without a kind Admin assist isn't very useful. :-$

Edited by imperialshadows

Good news from the prize front! I have received word from Starwars4J that he would be most happy to provide a title to the winner, and it would seem that he intends to select it himself 8-

ONE HOUR LEFT TO VOTE!

You know, if someone would come along and post something in here, it'd be great too. See, as it stands, I'm 3 posts in a row with updates, and in an hour, I'm coming back to declare the winner and that would mean 4 in a row if I don't just edit this post (which I might do). Either way... post something! ;-)

It looks like my favourite is going to win! ;-)

Mine too! (and thanks for posting ;-))

On that note, I hereby declare this first annual and never to be repeated again :-| Hitchhiker's Guide to the Vignette contest to be OVER!

In 2rd place, with 4 votes is LuxorV! *y*

Tied for 1st with 7 votes each, ZeekyBoogeyDoog *y* and what's-his-name! :-$

And our Grand Prize winner, with an impressive 12 votes is ...

Doctor Sinister

Congratulations Doc *y* , and to all who participated, it's been a blast! :-D

I will be sending notification to Starwars4J, who will be responsible for supplying the prize you so richly deserve (and I don't even know what it'll be yet, which around here means you might want to duck!) ;-)

Edited by imperialshadows

Hope you enjoy it Doc! ;-) richly deserved

Now that's what I call fast service! Thanks Starwars4J! *sweet*