TheQ

WIP: Inglenook-inspired remote-controlled layout

Hi all! Inspired by all the fantastic train layouts here in Eurobricks, I wanted to build my own train layout. Since the finnish LUG, Palikkatakomo, is going to have big exhibition next April, I wanted that the layout could be integrated to large city layout we are doing there collaboratively and thus, the layout should follow the modular standard we use. And as bonus challenged, I wanted to try my hands at remote controlled switches and remote controlled wagon separators.

23623533732_e59b73a9d9_z.jpg

Bigger picture avaiable @ Flickr

You can see the layout's current state in picture above. It is currently 2x7,5 modules large (single module being standard 32x32 bricks) and consists of outer 9v track as "mainline" and inner PF track as yard which is designed after Inglenook shunting puzzle. Layout is quite simple but interesting things here are switches and wagon separators which are controlled by PF motor in the left corner. PF motors are controlled by phone via SBrick bluetooth-connector.

Both switches and separators work in the same principle: PF motor turns axle that is connected to bunch of other axles, i.e. drivetrain underneath the "ground level" (1 brick + 2 plates) which is then connected to small linear actuators. These actuators then either move lever that is connected to switches "track selector" in or move lever that pops a "stick" above tracks; this stick can be used to anchor wagons and thus allow train to leave wagon(s) behind. Oh and note that aforementioned drivetrains are built in such a way that each module can be separated from each other in order to ease their transportation.

If you are bit puzzled on how this all works, please check this demonstration on Youtube:

Next steps for this layout project is to make the layout bit larger (aiming at 2x8), strenghten the modules, possibly add another wagon separator bit on third PF track and figure out what else to build on this layout. Currently I am leaning towards "custom car shop" that gets the steel it uses via trains..

Nice work! Just curious though, why did you put the motors so far away from the switches and decouplers that they control? Why not use extension wires from the SBrick and put the motors closer to what they are actuating instead? Oh, and are you using clutch gears or something similar to keep the motors from pushing too far?

Nice work! Just curious though, why did you put the motors so far away from the switches and decouplers that they control? Why not use extension wires from the SBrick and put the motors closer to what they are actuating instead? Oh, and are you using clutch gears or something similar to keep the motors from pushing too far?

To my untrained eye it looks like the motors are thicker then the ground so it would be a bit annoying to try and hide them? also a switch house with all the controls for the layout would be really cool

To my untrained eye it looks like the motors are thicker then the ground so it would be a bit annoying to try and hide them? also a switch house with all the controls for the layout would be really cool

Yeah, Electricsteam is right. The ground level is around 2 bricks so only place close to track where I could move the motors is underneath the track. That would mean buying quite many extension cords which I don't really need so I opted for using axles to transport the power to switches and decouplers (heh, I thought there was better term than "wagon separator :classic: ).

As for clutches, I am using two designs: this one made using two "Technic, Pin Long with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Stop Bush" and this one made using two axle's with pins on the end. Both of them work quite fine, althought the switches use a bit of power so finding the right "clutch level" is a bit difficult at times.

24706834456_f881c39221_c.jpg

Bigger image available at Flickr

After around one month, the layout has seen some progress. Major changes are:

• Added missing module on left corner and changed the modules a bit so that the complete layout is now 8 x 2 modules.
  • Added third wagon separator in the middle track to allow wagons to separate at right places according to Inglenook puzzle.
  • Finished with the initial plating of most of modules.
  • Added "maintenance/service area"
  • Most importantly, decided on the theme and layout of the creation! I decided to go with sub-urban passanger station as another guys is building larger train station elsewhere on the layout.

Next up is setting up the PF motors to handle all five functions (2x remote switch, 3x wagon separators) and then building the railway station above them.

Took me a long time to finally update this thread but yes, the Inglenook-layout was finished and it was successfully displayed in three LEGO events. In each event the layout worked fine, only issues I had was with SBrick: it requires quite sturdy power connections and if power connection does not provide power all the time (for example, voltage moves between 9v and 7.5v as the case was in really, really large event places where thousands of machines were using power), the SBrick tends to restart itself which causes the whole software to halt for some time. It seems that under 7.9 the machine tends to restart which usually required me to unplug the 9v train controller that I used. It is possible that the issue has to do with 9v train controller but even if I changed that, same problem occurred.

Anyway, the main functionalities, remote handling of switch and remote wagon separation, worked generally really good. The wagon separation did require some tweaking since I had to find magnets of right strength for the train engine to be able pull three wagons but still for the separation mechanism work for wagons. This created some challenges as separation sometimes caused extra wagons to be stuck with separated, stopped wagon.

Here is short demonstration of the remote switch and remote wagon separation taken with bit better camera:

Youtube