SkaForHire

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Introduction and Starting Thread

To all contractors and entrepreneurs of New Terra,

Are you looking for opportunity? To make your fortune in the new world? Well, look no more, for the governor of King's Harbour presents an offer you can hardly refuse.

Lumbermill for King's Harbour: 25 db

I just have some licensing questions :

How could be considered a shipyard ? Is it an artisan or a commerce building ?

And in the same way, how could I license a prison ? I was thinking to license the one I made as a residence, just for fun, but it's not such a silly idea...

So I am open to your advices.

Thank you.

All shipyards of which I know by now are artisan properties. For prison I could imagine some tough sort of education...

I'd say a shipyard is much more artisan than commerce. But a building within the yard dedicated to finances could be commerce if anyone is inclined to build one. As for the prison - yes, technically it's a residence, but the licensing options are fairly limited in that regard. It's one example that isn't covered very well in the existing categories.

Artisans also cover services, so that is where I woudl place a prison.

And if a shipyard is large, perhaps it is best seen as a factory?

I think a shipyard would be a factory too. Taking raw materials of wood and iron to make ships.

I just have some licensing questions :

How could be considered a shipyard ? Is it an artisan or a commerce building ?

And in the same way, how could I license a prison ? I was thinking to license the one I made as a residence, just for fun, but it's not such a silly idea...

I would think that a Prison would be under "commerce" as a civic building of the settlement. My Lighthouse is licensed as "commerce."

I think a shipyard would be a factory too. Taking raw materials of wood and iron to make ships.

My thought was a Factory-type shipyard would probably be producing something small, like dinghys, canoes or catamarans....smaller craft that might come as a "package."

Larger ships would seem to be more artisan due to the numerous levels of craftsmanship in all the needed details....however, a large shipyard might use the services of a "mast factory" or "sawmill" for its materials....giving you the option to make more builds for income related to the same overall complex.

Edited by Vedauwoo

The artisan vs factory classification is a bit of a grey area. I tend to view smaller shipyards as being more artisanal, but that's a matter of perspective. Shipyards don't usually bring to mind the typical image of a factory, but they are definitely a place of manufacturing, and usually included numerous facilities that contributed to the final product. The old VOC shipyard in Amsterdam is a great period example and included large carpenter shops and blacksmith shops between the slipways and the main warehouse, with twin ropewalks stretching into the distance on the side. On this basis a complete shipyard could easily be designated a factory for game purposes, or the various components could be classed individually as stated above.

Great to see my questions are not so stupid...

Everyone has a thought about licensing buildings !

So, I am more in favour of an artisan license for a shipyard. Mine is fitting that category I think, since I have carpenters for mast, ironwork for the anchor and the stern fences, painters for the hull paint and of course rope makers for the rigging...

I will license my shipyard as an artisan.

But the prison case is more in a grey area...

I don't see it like a commerce or an artisan as it is not a business building. It's more like you can have profit by some working prisoners but it's costly due to the guards used and the security needed so I was more thinking a residence was appropriate by both the RP aspect of presenting a dwelling of some sort and the Economic aspect of not bringing as much money as a business build.

I still say a prison is either an educational or a cultural building. Simply because it's most likely a state/government run institution.

Prisons would be like a government owned hotel where "guests" can check in but not out. There would be upkeep costs for security and feeding the guests.

After hearing the arguments of Jacob, I am following him. There is something educational about prisons...

IMHO

Prison = Education

Shipyard = Factory

I was nearly tempted by Vedauwoo's argument for civic buildings being commerce though, that how I view most civic structures but I think a prison still fits education slightly better.

I am with Phadeout, although a "civic" or "government" category would make everything easier. I am not sure it would add anything to the game, though. We have plenty of categories as it is :P

And a question to town bank calculations. (Sorry for double posting)

It says that a city includes properties in its hinterland too. Are plantations always considered hinterland? If so, I think KH may have spent more than what was in the townbank. Should I personally compensate the deficit by a transfer, or how should I handle this?

So, when do I got my named island? pirate_laugh2.gif

Hahaha thanks for the new title and tag! pir_laugh2.gif

Kai said once that plantations indeed are always hinterland.

Yes. But we we're actually discussing it and I think we might get rid of the whole hinterland thing as it would be much easier to calculate as Settlement Value and Town Bank would then be exactly the same.

As to what that means for those of you/us who might have overdrawn a settlement bank account... I'm really not sure. To be on the safe side you could try to compensate the difference.

I do not see how it would make it the same, though. Trade value is influenced by the size of the property, while the town bank is a flat 5 db per property. Or am I calculating it wrong?

@Edit:

And am I right in assuming that non-licensed properties also count towards the town bank?

Edited by Bregir

I do not see how it would make it the same, though. Trade value is influenced by the size of the property, while the town bank is a flat 5 db per property. Or am I calculating it wrong?

@Edit:

And am I right in assuming that non-licensed properties also count towards the town bank?

I am thinking exactly the same.

And non licensed properties only count if you filled a free build form ! This is the only condition to see those builds counted in the bank account of the settlement.

So, when do I got my named island? pirate_laugh2.gif

Maybe on the next round of islands. :pir-laugh:

Hahaha thanks for the new title and tag! pir_laugh2.gif

You're welcome. :thumbup:

@Edit:

Yes, you're right at both those points. So yeah, I didn't mean to say that it was exactly the same (or at least if I meant to say that it wasn't what I should have meant to say pirate_laugh_new.gif ); but they would be correlated much more easily. Though actually looking at the chart they're still a little complicated. Well anyhow, I'm not the one handling the automation so I don't know exactly how it's being gone about but I do know that it seems getting rid of the hinterland rule would make things easier. pirate_laugh2.gif

Agreed, Kai! pirate_wink.gif (And thanks for the clarifications!)

And congratz, Maxim. Maybe one day pirate_laugh2.gif

Quick question: I am working on my Intro thread at the moment, which doesn't really involve much anything else than reading and my Character picture. I remember at the start of this that you could also register the intro thread as a Freebuild and get 25 db´s that way easily. Is that still correct or has that changed since then?

Fair winds and calm seas!

Yours truly:

Captain Charles J. Becker

Edited by Captain Becker