SkaForHire

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Introduction and Starting Thread

Just now, Mesabi said:

I know, I'm just looking for a central index so I don't have to dig through 4 faction threads with 2 years worth of posts. And I'm not a fan of individually finding people's flickr either.

The information on TCs and players is typically in the first several posts of a faction's topic (e.g. Oleon's list of subjects with the TC information a few posts down). 

As a general rule, if there's ever a faction-specific question (leadership, members, background, etc.) the first several posts in the faction's topic are a good place to start. You rarely need to go digging though the entire topic to find important information. 

I've never understood how a Flickr group works, and don't have any interest in bothering. I try to make links to previous builds of mine part of the stories I post, where I can. I also try to use the registration thread the way it was meant to be used. I group links to the builds I post in the same month together, editing the month's post. To advertise, I use the Eslandola faction thread, and when needed the settlement thread. Indexing builds beyond that can get cumbersome.

I have some information indexing to do, so that the Crahaish neh Triuri can be understood well enough. Hopefully what I get compiled can be added to the BOBS lore.

Ok I've been trying to figure out how to build for Corrington's bonus in education and I seriously think that there is a major issue that needs to be addressed. Realistically there isn't any need for more than one education building per settlement especially for a new colony. Sure I could build 50 schools in Stormhaven to get the bonus but that just would be so out of character it would be a game breaker in my opinion and would not even be realistic for a large settlement much less one just starting out. Looking at the other factions, Corrington's bonus is practically worthless. Eslandola could have a bank, a trading house, a market or two, practically unlimited shops or street sellers per settlement, Oleon can have a temple or two, several street artists, and practically unlimited statues or gardens, and the Sea Rats have nearly endless possibilities with their artisan bonus plus they get an extra 10% bonus on top.

Edit: Upon further thought to fix the unbalance of Corrington's bonus, I propose that Corrington forts get classified as education, have no upkeep and produce the DBs that any other educational build would produce per size.

Edited by Mike S

you can have:

- school for kids

- school for teenagers

- university (so many possibilities here)

- military academy

- botanical gardens

- statues with a link to history

- story tellers

- scientists

- any kind of museum
- geologists
- explorers
- libary
- book store
- debate hall / club / forum
- any commercial or artisan MOC with a heavy focus on apprenticeship
- cartography of any kind
- creating a new type of ship, a submarine, a new vehicle, an aerostat, etc.
- observing wild animals
- a zoo

However I do agree that educational properties are the hardest to vary with, and probably also are what a settlement needs the least. There should really be something else to make up for that for Corries (though I find your suggestion quite exaggerated, but the direction might be right).

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

you can have:

- school for kids

- school for teenagers

- university (so many possibilities here)

- military academy

- botanical gardens

- statues with a link to history

- story tellers

- scientists

You don't have a school for kids and teenagers in a historical settlement. At most if there is even a school, all kids go to the same building. Colleges/universities would only make sense in a large city. Which brings me back to square 1. If I was dealing with building up a city that existed for centuries it wouldn't be as big of a deal but trying to make education builds work for a founding settlement doesn't make any sense for the most part. I don't see how scientist would work either within the confines of the settlement. I guess I could just build a few buildings and label them scientist 1, scientist 2, etc. but it still doesn't seem to flow with the idea of a newly founded settlement. Same goes with gardens and storytellers. Should I just claim that all Stormhaven's citizens are an extraordinarily educated lot and each grows a scientific garden in his backyard?

I agree with the military academy but where better to educate troops than the fort?

7 hours ago, Mike S said:

Eslandola could have a bank, a trading house, a market or two, practically unlimited shops or street sellers per settlement,

Eslandola with a disproportionate advantage... What a surprise!

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself :pir_tong2:

Seriously though, I have thought about this myself. I was considering building drill grounds as educational. But it's still only one option. Bigger more established settlements definitely have loads more possibilities, but you are 100 percent right about new settlements. Compared to other property types, especially commercial, the balance seems off.

Not sure about forts/upkeep, that probably needs to be kept the same across all factions so that defensive stats are even. Maybe we need to add EGS benefits to science fraternities, or significantly increase the bonus yield for educational properties (but cap the number per settlement level?). or maybe factories also get a slight bonus, after all, if our science and education is high quality, wouldn't that have flown on effects into industry?

These are just some ideas, At the end of the day, I'm really not too concerned.

Edited by Ayrlego

36 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Eslandola with a disproportionate advantage... What a surprise!

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself :pir_tong2:

Seriously though, I have thought about this myself. I was considering building drill grounds as educational. But it's still only one option. Bigger more established settlements definitely have loads more possibilities, but you are 100 percent right about new settlements. Compared to other property types, especially commercial, the balance seems off.

Not sure about forts/upkeep, that probably needs to be kept the same across all factions so that defensive stats are even. Maybe we need to add EGS benefits to science fraternities, or significantly increase the bonus yield for educational properties (but cap the number per settlement level?). or maybe factories also get a slight bonus, after all, if our science and education is high quality, wouldn't that have flown on effects into industry?

These are just some ideas, At the end of the day, I'm really not too concerned.

Well quite frankly, I'm quite opposed to the fort rule changes altogether. Makes it so you don't want to build forts because it gives you a 100% penalty now. I mean who cares if your town gets plundered, you don't lose any personal wealth anyway so why waste expense on a passive defense. And the shame of it is thatforts was a major part of classic pirates theme.

1 minute ago, gedren_y said:

One more option for education is an observatory; see my example.

Another perfect example for a large established city. Would not at all fit in at present Stormhaven. So basically I'm forced to build in a large city like Arlinsport if I want to get Corrington's bonus. Bad business for giving incentive to start any new settlements on all those empty islands.

We are discussing this in leadership now. I personally think that the suggestion of making the Corlander bonus apply to factories is a good idea. 

Although actually, my personal suggestion is to take away those bonuses all together. I really don't think they add much other than bias and complexity to the game. 

48 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Although actually, my personal suggestion is to take away those bonuses all together. I really don't think they add much other than bias and complexity to the game. 

Honestly I think that is the best approach as far as faction bonuses. I have no problem with island bonuses and I do think that adds extra fun to the game. 

I was thinking some more about this and it would actually make sense to tie the faction bonuses to PIP/FIP actions instead of settlement buildings.

7 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I was thinking some more about this and it would actually make sense to tie the faction bonuses to PIP/FIP actions instead of settlement buildings.

Care to elobarate? I am not quite sure how you see it working. 

6 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Care to elobarate? I am not quite sure how you see it working. 

It really depends on how you have the action choices set up. If PIP/FIP points are required for every action including sailing, then for example it could cost less points for the Sea Rats to go on a raid, Eslandola to go on a trade run, Corrington to go exploring, and Oleon by expanding their cultural influence.

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

I like your suggestion. I can think of a few other options also:

-a  Remove faction bonuses on properties.

b  Or have it cost/earn PIP/FIP to build in each related category (see Mike S quote - ESL Commercial & Factories, OL Art & Culture, SR a less %, but on all categories, COR educational) <-Change educational to Technology or add Factories for Corrington.

c  Or, both of the above.

-Keep the other differences between factions.

-Keep the Island bonuses, or maybe even add 1 bonus (or more) per island in order to give a few options to where you can place it if you want a bonus on it. Maybe have a minus or two to each settlement, so we have to explore with small builds, and then expand if it is a good bonus. Adds realism and excitement. Removing faction bonuses makes the factions less distinguishable. but it makes each player be more free to play with different ideas.

- Mike S idea for the MRCA. "...then for example it could cost less points for the Sea Rats to go on a raid, Eslandola to go on a trade run, Corrington to go exploring, and Oleon by expanding their cultural influence."

The only thing I am wondering about is, if every action costs, how does a new player start earning FIP/PIP/DBs? EDIT: That's not the only thing I am wondering about... For the record. :pir-laugh:

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

It really depends on how you have the action choices set up. If PIP/FIP points are required for every action including sailing, then for example it could cost less points for the Sea Rats to go on a raid, Eslandola to go on a trade run, Corrington to go exploring, and Oleon by expanding their cultural influence.

As you say, depending on how they have the action choices set up, I like your thinking here. I've included a version for land based builds above, as well as your suggestion.

Edited by Sir Stig

No! No! No!

For the love of the game. Please DO NOT REMOVE faction bonusses. Because they do have a significant effect on the setup of settlements.
Whenever I - as an Eslandolan - just want to build something, it's always a commerce, just because of the bonus. There are more art&culture MOCs in Oleon than in other nations, more educational in Corrington, and more Artisans in the Sea Rats towns - and that is 100% appropriate, becuase it differentiates our nations. In a good way. Most of us are not that greedy for Dubloons that we would exclusively build cotton plantations and commercial properties (or would we? :-) ), but we are a little greedy, so we will have more of these in the end. Which is perfect!

Also I don't think 20% is too high, for small properties that is 1 DB per month. Paying 20% less is probably overkill, though. A problem might much rather be that other bonusses are either too insignifcant or too much hidden, so that nobody cares for them. The game should emphasize those more, and this way make the faction bonusses slightly less significant.

However I really do like the suggestion to adapt Corrington's bonus and include factories. My suggestion would be to keep the 20% on education and add 10% for factories.

Aye to @Elostirion :

What distinguishes a good strategy game from a lame are the differences between the factions. Every factory requires a little different strategy. And it adds to the identity of each faction to have individual bonusses. 

Look at Eslandola: their members are proud of being merchants and entrepreneurs. They define themselves by trading and commerce. 

Corlanders are the boldest explorers. Oleon finds itself the most exalted civilization. Without specific advantages from game mechanics that all would just feel like a mere allegation without any effect.

Edited by Jacob Nion

Look guys, we can all admit their are a lot of rules that need to be updated/changed

(Corrington Bonuses, Fort usage, Royal properties to big)

But they are currently working on Era II rules revisions. Let's see what they put out, then we can complain. :devil:

37 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Look guys, we can all admit their are a lot of rules that need to be updated/changed

(Corrington Bonuses, Fort usage, Royal properties to big)

But they are currently working on Era II rules revisions. Let's see what they put out, then we can complain. :devil:

Yeah, then we rabblerouse! But in all seriousness I agree with you. There's a lot to keep track of with this game, and I'm sure we're heading in the right direction when they release Era II.

1 hour ago, Jacob Nion said:

Aye to @Elostirion :

What distinguishes a good strategy game from a lame are the differences between the factions. Every factory requires a little different strategy. And it adds to the identity of each faction to have individual bonusses. 

Look at Eslandola: their members are proud of being merchants and entrepreneurs. They define themselves by trading and commerce. 

Corlanders are the boldest explorers. Oleon finds itself the most exalted civilization. Without specific advantages from game mechanics that all would just feel like a mere allegation without any effect.

Exactly that! What we want for sure is diversity (not only on the color of the uniforms but also diversity on the way all factions operate and grow).

But since the subject has been brought to the Brethren Court, (namely the leaders of all the factions etc), it will be discussed there and we will try to find a suitable solution. If the majority feels that the Corrish bonuses are lacklusters, then we maybe want to add a small bonus on factories the way Elo suggested. But the point is that factories are usually large building not an average player can/will build so Corrington won't be that benefited. Anyway, we will try to come up with a suitable solution shortly I guess.

The following has been clarified in the About ships topic:

Only the following entities can own vessels (i.e. have their own ship levels.)

• Players, who start out with a ship level of 10
  • Factions, who start out with a ship level of 25
  • Officially chartered trade companies, who start out with a shiplevel of 0
  • Settlements, which can own ship levels up to its settlement level. (Capped at 20)

To all of you who love pirates,

Just like every year, I'll co-ordinate a nice Pirate Lay-out at Brickmania Antwerp in Belgium. Last year we managed to fill almost 100 square meters!!!

This year we are shrinking those ambitions a bit and we'll focus more on storybringing and epic battles! So quality over quantity!

So to all you BoBs members who want to meet other BoBs members: join join join!

We got already a very nice line-up with myself, Captain Green Hair, Legostone, Faladrin, Sebeus, Kabel, TitusV, Captain Braunsfeld  (and hopefully Bonaparte as well) :laugh: Other famous EB-members are known to attend the event as well like Exetrius, JaapXaap,  (and probably Ecclesiastes this year as visitor).

When?

25 & 26 November 2017

How do I join?

Send a message to @Maxim I!

Meh, I don't like pirates... Is there some castle stuff or western stuff as well?

Contact then @TitusV (for Castle) or @kabel (for Western)

this was our lay-out last year:

Edited by Maxim I