SkaForHire

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Introduction and Starting Thread

Yarr!

Really like the pirate and sailing themes too, but the rules are a bit confusing for me. This is I understands so far:

I choose a faction, introduce my sigfig. I can get points for comleting mini challenges and free builds. Anything other important things I must know to participate? 

Edited by kahir88

19 minutes ago, kahir88 said:

Yarr!

Really like the pirate and sailing themes too, but the rules are a bit confusing for me. This is I understands so far:

I choose a faction, introduce my sigfig. I can get points for comleting mini challenges and free builds. Anything other important things I must know to participate? 

You say its confusing, but then you explain it exactly how it is! :wink:

1. Choose faction:
    Find one that fits the building style and story you have in mind. A few words on the factions. (I have ranked them after my estimated number of active members. If you are in doubt, you *could* choose the smaller of the factions in question, but the choice is entirely free. :classic:)
    1. Eslandola:
      Highest number of active members by a reasonable margin.
      A nation of merchants and businessmen. Think Portugal/Spain under the age of discovery and colonisation. The Trade Companies are the most powerful institutions of Eslandola, and they have been struggling with the King for power over the nation.
    2. Corrington:
      Probably second most active faction, although at times, Oleon occupies this position.
      A nation where science and order is at the heart of everything. Think England during the late age of sail. Ruled in the order of a constitutional monarchy, where most decisions are discussed openly with its members.
    3. Oleon:
      Vying with Corrington for second place.
      A nation of traditional values, specifically the faith and the military. Think France in the century up to the revolution. Ruled by a king with an influence of the Faith.
    4. Sea Rats:
      Least most active faction, although activity has been growing.
      A nation of independent traders, pirates, privateers, deserters, smugglers, tavernkeeps and mercenaries. If freedom under the black flag is your thing. Think the pirates of the Caribbean (movie or historical entity - both will work :wink:) or "Black Sails". More open for individualistic action, less government, and less concerted diplomatic action. Free agents.
  2. Introduce sigfig:
    You will be rewarded your first 25 dbs for signing up with your sig fig in the faction thread. If you make a build to introduce your sigfig, you can also post it in its own topic, and register it as a freebuild for 10 extra dbs. *If* this build includes licensable property (typically some sort of business) you can further license it for future income. (If you have the money)
  3. Free licenses
    You start out your time in BoBS with one free small property license (tip: don't use it for a residence, as those have lower costs and yields than other types), and a free license for a class 2 vessel of any kind. Taking advantages of these can be the start of a great fortune! (Believe me, I know what I am talking about! :grin:)
  4. Mini-challenges & contracts
    From time to time, factions, players, or organisations will host mini-challenges with a varying set of rewards. These are great for inspiration, making extra money, or gaining other advantages. Further, some players or settlements have open contracts for buildings, ships, or anything else that they need someone to do, and sometimes these pay well. So keep you eyes open - perhaps something opens up that will interest you.
  5. Main challenges
    The overall story in BoBS is propelled by the main challenges (and supported by inter-faction and inter-player stories). These challenges are run several times per year, and offer great rewards for the winners, as well as rewards for all participants, and the factions. (Check out Challenge IV for an idea of what the challenges look like).
  6. Tell your story, Have fun & Ask questions
    A lot of the above is about the economic game system (EGS) but what really matters is to have fun. Tell your stories, play the EGS, build what you are inspired to build, weave your story into the overall lore, and cooperated with other builders and factions. And most importantly: HAVE FUN! BoBS is a freeform game, and while you can "play the main quests", you are also more than welcome to explore the world your way, and in your pace. The EGS is there to give an additional layer of fun and inspiration, but it is not necessary for you to participate. And you may also decide to participate at a later date.
    Lastly, we like to think we are a helpful community, so feel free to ask questions - there is no such thing as a stupid question! :grin:

Hope this was helpful! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

@kahir88: The rules have been confusing for all of us from time to time, but a lot of unclear parts have been rewritten. They are getting there :)

Challenges, freebuilds and MRCA results are a good source of income.

You get points on a monthly basis after licensing builds. If you keep your eyes open there are almost always some settlement, Trade Company or faction that offers incentives for building in different regions.

And you can get points in the MRCA (sending ships out on different kind of missions).

After you have introduced your sigfig, you get a free ship (up to class 2), and a free building. That's all you need to know to get started. You will get into it soon enough, and you can always ask if anything is unclear or you don't know where to find the relevant rules.

Sweet! Thanks the help, Will join, asap. Just one or two things: Ships: Is there any info about the ships size? A list or something? And any restrictions, for factions what "proffesions" do accept? And, MRCA?

Edited by kahir88

In regards to ships and MRCA, look at the link "by sea...." in the master index for information and sizes. More importantly look at the ship index (also linked in the master index) for examples of various ship types.

Sorry for not linking them here but I'm responding on my phone.

Edit: I should add the MRCA is being revised presently so don't worry too much about the specifics of which islands or ports are best  

Edited by SilentWolf

1 hour ago, kahir88 said:

Sweet! Thanks the help, Will join, asap. Just one or two things: Ships: Is there any info about the ships size? A list or something? And any restrictions, for factions what "proffesions" do accept? And, MRCA?

The leaders of the faction you joined can help you with the details and stuf.  So which faction are you joining?

5 hours ago, kahir88 said:

Ships: Is there any info about the ships size? A list or something?

Check out @Maxim I's BoBS created Ship Index for inspiration and a hint of the sizes for each class. :pir-blush:

And any restrictions, for factions what "proffesions" do accept?

While some factions have an overweight of some professions (Traders in Eslandola, nobility and religious characters in Oleon, scientists in Corrington, and pirates and smugglers in the sea rats) you are basically free to choose, regardless of your profession. The only thing is that the three national factions (OL, ESL, and COR) are organised nations, and will/can not accept piracy. (But then you can be a naval officer, which you can't really in the Sea Rats)

And, MRCA?

Monthly Raiding and Commerce action. It is what we do with our ships to make money and take prizes. But as someone else said, it is currently being remade, so it will be as new to you, as to anyone else, so there is really no need to worry about that until the new mechanics are published! :grin:

Once again - welcome! :pir-blush:

I think I reconsidered my previous choose of sig-fig and backstory. I think i know who will be my sig-fig, and where to join. Just one more question. How should I imagine the property? Is it a building, in a factions city, like a home, or office, where i can start sailing?

It honestly can be anywhere. There are no limitations. Building  it in your own faction is definitely safest. (Can't be seized in war, etc.) The biggest key is writing it into your story. Though it could also be associated with a secondary character. Or .... whatever you can think up.

2 hours ago, kahir88 said:

Just one more question. How should I imagine the property? Is it a building, in a factions city, like a home, or office, where i can start sailing?

In my honest opinion, I would not stress over this at the beginning.  While building up a "real estate portfolio" can be rewarding in terms of in game currency, having a sig-fig with a strong back story is probably the biggest thing to work on, followed by their ship.  The real excitement in BoBS comes from the exploits at sea.  And even if your first attempt at a ship is not your best (mine is pretty awful), the more you hang around these forums the more techniques you pick up.

I'm not saying to avoid building and licensing properties as that would be hypocritical of me (I derive my fun by mostly concentrating on colony building and personal story lines), but meeting your faction mates, joining a trade convoy, and just getting into the spirit of things is probably the best way to spend your first month or two.  And you can always just build and not license properties immediately.  I actually stockpiled unlicensed builds for three months before deciding on where they go.

@kahir88 - Kwatchi has a good point, once you get into the spirit of how things work it'll be easy to figure out what properties you want from there!
A good way to get started with that would be to participate in the mini-challenges going on right now; for some of those you can license your builds as well!

A property can really be just about anything land based - an office, or an inn, or a lumberyard, or a corn-field, or a printer's shop - all you have to do is find the right category when it comes to licensing it!  And when it doubt, just ask!

Can anyone give us a summary of what being changed (or possibly being changed) about the game rules whenever that actually happens (perhaps an estimated timeline on that, too)? 

I've been "checking in" for months, but it seems everything is nearly at a standstill since May....and no real clear indication as when (or if) it's going to get fixed and running again.

So....is anything concrete in place...or is it all still a toss up and undecided?  What is actually in the works?

Thanks in advance...and please link me to any new posts I may have missed...

If you are referring to the MRCA, the brethren courts is working on it, including new ship-classes. Nothing to publish yet, though. :)

The plans are to automate things as far as possible, to avoid the heavy annual manual work of rolling dies and calculating results, while still maintaining the risky nature.

If you are referring to basically anything else, chances are, it has already been adjusted.

We would like to help, but you will need to be a little more specific in your question. Anyways, is anything holding you back? I don't see any risk of the plans for a revised MRCA to make any efforts lost, so just get cracking! ;)

Edited by Bregir

12 hours ago, Vedauwoo said:

Can anyone give us a summary of what being changed (or possibly being changed) about the game rules whenever that actually happens (perhaps an estimated timeline on that, too)? ...

Bregir has explained the status of the MRCA pretty well, and here is the thread where rule changes are logged as they are made.

30285026592_b21dcc542a.jpg

The hamlet of Trador offers tradequarters to merchants!

Are you looking for a space where you can stock your goods, exchange them and count your money?

Are you especially looking for a safe place to do this?

Or are you interested in expanding your trade emperium?

Then this is your chance to become a mayor trade partner of Trador!

How does it works?

• For an amount of 100 db's, you are granted your own house and storageroom at the quays of Trador.
  • There are 8 properties to be sold
  • You are requested to send your trade emblem / coat of arms, the name of your company / family and the representing colours.
  • You will earn 15 db's a month for the first 3 months and from the 4th month on, you will earn 25 db's each month!
  • Your ships will have full inclusive harbor rights. This means that as long as your ship is in our harbour, it won't get attacked by other vessels. Not even when your faction is at war with Trador!
    • Ofcourse these harbor rights are granted as long as the owner of these rights itself is not attacking Trador or a vessel/city belonging to MAESTRO.
  • Your property will be yours as long as you don't sell them. They can't be seized by Trador, even not in times of war. If the owner of the property has attacked MAESTRO or one of its vessels or cities, the owner will not enjoy the yield of its property as long as he is in a state of WAR with MAESTRO and it will be MAESTRO who will enjoy the yields as long as the owner is not at peace with MAESTRO.
  • There are also out of EGS benefits like excellent relations, possibility of attending VIP-events, ...

Dates:

• Deadline for signing in: December 10th 616 AE
  • Deadline for sending the db's: December 21st 616 AE
  • Start of earning revenues: January 617 AE

Signing up is open to all nations except Mardier and except the nation of the Walrus! (as we don't want to lose our pinguins in the Pine Sol Factory!)

Don't miss this chance!

Signing up here or by pm

Edited by Maxim I

@SkaForHire

I have licensed three prospecting scenes in the last month:

1) Autumn Prospects | island #8 (Autumn Isle / Otono) | from island description: "The tree colour may indicate strange metals in the soil. It is suspected that this island may hold rare earth elements"

2) Salty Prospects | island #13 (The Shadow / La Sombra) | no special indications in island description

3) Sour Prospects | island #11 (Skaford Heights / Isla de Victoria) | from island description: "In the center of the island towers a tall volcano"

Looking forward to the results! :-) 

On 10/31/2016 at 7:59 AM, Kai NRG said:

We've been working on the new system in the Court and I think you guys are gonna like what's we've got so far, but yes, it will take a bit of time.  I'd like to be able to say that we'll be able to launch it before the end of this month, but I really can't be sure of that so I'd better not make promises!

So I've seen a few tidbits of what is coming in the Eslandola machiavellian council thread, but us in the "general public" haven't heard a peep in a while regarding progress.  I personally don't care much if the next MCRA doesn't come off at the end of November because I have a bunch of build ideas still in queue, but could we get a hint if we are days/weeks/months away from this new MCRA and getting some schedule stability back?

17 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

days/weeks/months away

I think this is fairly accurate, Kwatchi. Not to be facetious, but we hardly know better than you do. We are working on it, and will hopefully be able launch something soon-ish. Especially the Corlanders amongst us are getting impatient, as our main source of income is the MRCA... :pir-wink:

The issue is that we are not working on a fixed amount of hours and can't really give a timeline for developments.

On 12.11.2016 at 11:08 AM, Elostirion said:

@SkaForHire

1) Autumn Prospects | island #8 (Autumn Isle / Otono) | from island description: "The tree colour may indicate strange metals in the soil. It is suspected that this island may hold rare earth elements"

2) Salty Prospects | island #13 (The Shadow / La Sombra) | no special indications in island description

3) Sour Prospects | island #11 (Skaford Heights / Isla de Victoria) | from island description: "In the center of the island towers a tall volcano"

Can someone else from the leadership team help me out?

2 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

Can someone else from the leadership team help me out?

I wish, but very unfortunately not :sceptic:

MAESTRO is looking for an investor who has 600 db's laying around and wants a 120 db's/month yield (20%).

On 11/12/2016 at 4:08 AM, Elostirion said:

@SkaForHire

1) Copper

2) Stone Quarry

3) Stone Quarry

On 11/18/2016 at 2:39 PM, Kwatchi said:

So I've seen a few tidbits of what is coming in the Eslandola machiavellian council thread, but us in the "general public" haven't heard a peep in a while regarding progress.  I personally don't care much if the next MCRA doesn't come off at the end of November because I have a bunch of build ideas still in queue, but could we get a hint if we are days/weeks/months away from this new MCRA and getting some schedule stability back?

Which MRCA are we talking about, results or the new system?  I think I will have the results out tonight.   Just to put the new system in perspective, it took 5 months to write and test the original system, and this system of MRCA II and the EGS is at least twice as big... Still, we will probably have something to run in mid December.